New VALIANT Comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
New VALIANT Comics

Post by ManofTheAtom »

We've discussed which comic books we'd like to see, but what about WHO should make them?

Which current writers and artists that haven't worked at any previous iteration of VALIANT would you want to see handle these characters?

Or should Alien seek out entirely new talent? "Knob Row 2023"?

Or a mixture of the two would be preferable.

Which writers and artists come to mind, why, and for which characters? Post art samples if you have any.

Sure, writers like Dysart should probably be given the chance to continue where they left off with Harbinger and the like, assuming they left anything pending.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Re: New VALIANT Comics

Post by JCP »

I think it would be fun to see a Benjamin Dewey drawn Archer & Armstrong authored by Evan Dorkin.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

JCP wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:23:59 pm I think it would be fun to see a Benjamin Dewey drawn Archer & Armstrong authored by Evan Dorkin.
Interesting.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Jim Lee on xo or livewire

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

corey wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:27:16 pm Jim Lee on xo or livewire
That could be cool, but not very likely I'm afraid, heh.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I'm not super familiar with current artists, but I would prefer solid storytelling over flashy art. When the selling point for Valiant became the art (Bart Sears, Birthquake, etc.) is when Valiant lost its uniqueness.

I wish they could have a somewhat consistent style across the line. Not a fan when it switches from cartoony to hyper-realistic at the drop of a hat.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:21:04 pm I'm not super familiar with current artists, but I would prefer solid storytelling over flashy art. When the selling point for Valiant became the art (Bart Sears, Birthquake, etc.) is when Valiant lost its uniqueness.

I wish they could have a somewhat consistent style across the line. Not a fan when it switches from cartoony to hyper-realistic at the drop of a hat.
Agreed. While a house style can be stifling, it can also provide consistency.

At the same time, I do think the art should be informed by the genre of each individual comic, i.e., horror for Shadowman.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I'd like to see a maxi series that expands on the events from Rai #0, with each individual issue showing the end of each character's story as detailed in that single issue.

Layton could write the X-O Manowar issue, Hall could write and, potentially, draw the Shadowman issue. Vanhook could write the Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior issues. BWS doing the Archer & Armstrong issue would be nice, but I'm not sure it's likely.

We saw several of these plot points expanded in other comics, like the Harbinger Wars trilogy in Timewalker showed the death of Aric, Deathmate showed Solar ending Gayle's life, and the Bad Penny two-parter showed parts of the death of Bloodshot, but there are still many plot points we haven't seen, like the death of Shadowman (Unity 2000 does not count...) and Archer and the HARD Corps leaving Earth (we saw bits of that in Psi-Lords).

It could be the final ever arc of the original VALIANT Universe.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:49:26 am I'd like to see a maxi series that expands on the events from Rai #0, with each individual issue showing the end of each character's story as detailed in that single issue.

Layton could write the X-O Manowar issue, Hall could write and, potentially, draw the Shadowman issue. Vanhook could write the Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior issues. BWS doing the Archer & Armstrong issue would be nice, but I'm not sure it's likely.

We saw several of these plot points expanded in other comics, like the Harbinger Wars trilogy in Timewalker showed the death of Aric, Deathmate showed Solar ending Gayle's life, and the Bad Penny two-parter showed parts of the death of Bloodshot, but there are still many plot points we haven't seen, like the death of Shadowman (Unity 2000 does not count...) and Archer and the HARD Corps leaving Earth (we saw bits of that in Psi-Lords).

You really haven't read anything after the 1990s huh? VEI did this and it was AMAZING! Check out Book of Death and the tie ins. The Harbinger tie in will make you cry (you've got to read the Dysart Harbinger issues up to then though). Harbinger is much stronger at VEI than in the 90s FYI.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:33:42 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:49:26 am I'd like to see a maxi series that expands on the events from Rai #0, with each individual issue showing the end of each character's story as detailed in that single issue.

You really haven't read anything after the 1990s huh? VEI did this and it was AMAZING! Check out Book of Death and the tie ins. The Harbinger tie in will make you cry (you've got to read the Dysart Harbinger issues up to then though). Harbinger is much stronger at VEI than in the 90s FYI.
I managed to read the first two years, I think. But it's not the same canon. It's similar, certainly, but not the same characters and plots.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:46:06 am

I managed to read the first two years, I think. But it's not the same canon. It's similar, certainly, but not the same characters and plots.
Well, of course not. It's updated with modern storytelling, technology, comic standards are higher, the benefit of planning etc. All why it is widely considered the template for launching a shared universe now.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:04:39 am

Well, of course not. It's updated with modern storytelling, technology, comic standards are higher, the benefit of planning etc. All why it is widely considered the template for launching a shared universe now.
But the point would be to tell the last stories of the original iterations. The current iterations are still ongoing.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:06:26 am

But the point would be to tell the last stories of the original iterations. The current iterations are still ongoing.
Oh, you mean the original continuity? Yeah, not many people want that anymore unfortunately. Wouldn't sell well.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:09:03 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:06:26 am

Oh, you mean the original continuity? Yeah, not many people want that anymore unfortunately. Wouldn't sell well.
That can depend on how much attention is brought to it. It could do well, it may not. It's guaranteed to sell nothing if it's not done.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:48:06 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:21:04 pm I'm not super familiar with current artists, but I would prefer solid storytelling over flashy art. When the selling point for Valiant became the art (Bart Sears, Birthquake, etc.) is when Valiant lost its uniqueness.

At the same time, I do think the art should be informed by the genre of each individual comic, i.e., horror for Shadowman.
Not sure if anything like a house style is even achievable in modern comics. I just like more consistency. Definitely each title should have its own style, but that should still fit with the company style. Like how Bill Sienkiewicz on New Mutants and Mazzucchelli on DD are completely different styles but both recognizable as fitting in with 80's Marvel house style.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

That sounds awesome, like a longer version of Marvel: The End?

In the 2000s, Starlin had a corner of Cosmic Marvel to himself that followed his old continuity and wasn't affected by the current Marvel continuity. Maybe it would be something like that.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:23:36 pm

That sounds awesome, like a longer version of Marvel: The End?

In the 2000s, Starlin had a corner of Cosmic Marvel to himself that followed his old continuity and wasn't affected by the current Marvel continuity. Maybe it would be something like that.
Exactly.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:20:41 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:48:06 am

Not sure if anything like a house style is even achievable in modern comics. I just like more consistency. Definitely each title should have its own style, but that should still fit with the company style. Like how Bill Sienkiewicz on New Mutants and Mazzucchelli on DD are completely different styles but both recognizable as fitting in with 80's Marvel house style.
Indeed.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:04:39 am Well, of course not. It's updated with modern storytelling, technology, comic standards are higher, the benefit of planning etc. All why it is widely considered the template for launching a shared universe now.
That's debatable. I would say for long-term impact and what's considered 'definitive' Valiant, the Classic universe still holds the edge. That's subjective though, how do you measure it? Who's using VEI as a template to launch a universe?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:09:03 am Oh, you mean the original continuity? Yeah, not many people want that anymore unfortunately. Wouldn't sell well.
That's not proven. What was Dysart's Harbinger selling towards the end? What have Valiant books sold since DMG? There's no proof that the original continuity revived couldn't pass those numbers, if done well. They're still the versions most people remember IMO.

Either way, it's all about how its done. The chances of Valiant actually having a breakout hit among general fans becomes less and less the more they keep relaunching the characters with mediocre relaunches and doing things like using kickstarter to sell a mediocre GN then not fulfill it.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Ryan wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:27:19 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:04:39 am Well, of course not. It's updated with modern storytelling, technology, comic standards are higher, the benefit of planning etc. All why it is widely considered the template for launching a shared universe now.
That's debatable. I would say for long-term impact and what's considered 'definitive' Valiant, the Classic universe still holds the edge. That's subjective though, how do you measure it? Who's using VEI as a template to launch a universe?
Everyone - Aftershock, AWA, Vault, Madcave and on and on have all openly discussed it.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:37:02 pm
Everyone - Aftershock, AWA, Vault, Madcave and on and on have all openly discussed it.
I'd be curious to see that. Got any links?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:39:53 pm
lol, bro you haven't even read the books.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:48:26 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:39:53 pm
lol, bro you haven't even read the books.
Not relevant to what I asked. Do you have any links?

BTW, I've read and still own every VALIANT and Acclaim comic from the '90s. I wasn't able to keep getting VEI at around the time of Stalinverse. That's where I fell behind.

I literally wrote the first VALIANT Wiki at the original Valiant Entertainment website...

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:56:09 pm
I literally wrote the first VALIANT Wiki at the original Valiant Entertainment website...
Not relevant. Google yourself.