Saw and liked recent movie DREDD ... your thoughts?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Saw and liked recent movie DREDD ... your thoughts?

Post by Oxmyx »

I'm coming at the movie knowing very very little about the comic books.

But the other thing is, I had a friend who was real into the Judge Dredd comics, and really was sour on the Stallone version. I never got ask him exactly why, because he passed away, but I now wish we had had that conversation.

Oh, and hi everybody. I haven't posted on here in quite a while. It's almost interesting to see what's new.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Saw and liked recent movie DREDD ... your thoughts?

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I liked Dredd, considerably far more than the Stallone version, and I've never read the comics.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

I like the movie as well. Seen it maybe 4-5 times

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

corey wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:44:16 pm I like the movie as well. Seen it maybe 4-5 times
I've seen it twice so far. It's on Prime Video here right now. I've considered watching it again but haven't found the time to do it.
Last edited by ManofTheAtom on Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:27:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:11:30 pm I liked Dredd, considerably far more than the Stallone version, and I've never read the comics.
It seems to me that there was nearly nothing "comic book" about DREDD ... it was just futuristic ... and in the wake of Mad Max and RoboCop, this is nothing...perhaps the only "comic booky" thing was the telepath, but that was presented more as futuristic than fantasy.
I thought.

I'd be curious to hear from a fan of the comics if the comics are similarly "real world futuristic " if that's a good phrase.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Oxmyx wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:13:45 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:11:30 pm I liked Dredd, considerably far more than the Stallone version, and I've never read the comics.
It seems to me that there was nearly nothing "comic book" about DREDD ... it was just futuristic ... and in the wake of Mad Max and RoboCop, this is nothing...perhaps the only "comic booky" thing was the telepath, but that was presented more as futuristic than fantasy.
I thought.

I'd be curious to hear from a fan of the comics if the comics are similarly "real world futuristic " if that's a good phrase.
Agreed. And good question.

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Oxmyx wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:13:45 am
I thought.

Good points, I have never read the comics either. We will await answers!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

It's a good action/sci-fi movie but not much else. Overall it's a more an action/sci-fi movie that has owes a lot of it's story of Dredd and Anderson fighting through a skyscraper filled with crooks to the film The Raid and even Die Hard 1 than anything else.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!