Rumored plans from Alien books

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Rumored plans from Alien books

Post by syzhang28 »

My store who has supported Valiant pretty strongly since they came back told me they spoke to Alien books about what was coming and let slip that the books will be $12 each. That's pretty steep and makes me think they are doing big trades which I think is a pretty cool idea. Instead of buying 4 or 5 issues in 4 or 5 months maybe we get one big trade for $12? I'll take that!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Rumored plans from Alien books

Post by greg »

It will be interesting to see if we get the same number of pages as 3 regular comics at $3.99 each... (which would be $12) or if there are additional pages for $12.

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

Which shop was this?

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:55:55 am My store who has supported Valiant pretty strongly since they came back told me they spoke to Alien books about what was coming and let slip that the books will be $12 each. That's pretty steep and makes me think they are doing big trades which I think is a pretty cool idea. Instead of buying 4 or 5 issues in 4 or 5 months maybe we get one big trade for $12? I'll take that!
I sure hope that's not true.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

$12 is a lot, but I do hope they don’t feel like trades. I dislike reading them.

GammaJosh
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

A triple-size single issue with a complete story would be cool. Giant-Size Valiant! Let's be honest, many of us were dropping $12 on three different covers of the same issue. I'm fine with getting three times the story and not having to *SQUEE* with variants.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I'd actually be very down for this. Change isn't always a bad thing, and $12 for a trade isn't bad at all (assuming it's 3.5-4ish issues of content). It's those kind of prices that have gotten me to switch most of my disposable comic income to manga.
slack wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:11:14 pm I sure hope that's not true.
Why?

slack

Post by slack »

TheFerg714 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:10:20 am I'd actually be very down for this. Change isn't always a bad thing, and $12 for a trade isn't bad at all (assuming it's 3.5-4ish issues of content). It's those kind of prices that have gotten me to switch most of my disposable comic income to manga.
slack wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:11:14 pm I sure hope that's not true.
Why?
because 5-10 floppies a month is far more likely than 5-10 trade paperbacks or prestige format books a month.

less likely to grow if they go straight to the trade shelves... most shops don't put trades on the shelves with newly released floppies.

slack

Post by slack »

double post. (I may be a lizard person)

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

slack wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:28:05 am double post. (I may be a lizard person)
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

The Harbinger

Post by The Harbinger »

Hopefully is multiple stories or the equivalent content of 3 books in one for $12. The way indiegogo and Kickstarter comics are winning out now, the new era of comics may be higher cost per book, but books being larger.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Harbinger wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:31:28 am Hopefully is multiple stories or the equivalent content of 3 books in one for $12. The way indiegogo and Kickstarter comics are winning out now, the new era of comics may be higher cost per book, but books being larger.
In the olden days, comic books had more than 32 pages. Action Comics #1 had 64 pages.

Since the '90s I've thought that modern comics should have a higher page count, use digital coloring and lettering, and be printed in high quality paper stock with a cardstock cover.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:24:56 am
The Harbinger wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:31:28 am Hopefully is multiple stories or the equivalent content of 3 books in one for $12. The way indiegogo and Kickstarter comics are winning out now, the new era of comics may be higher cost per book, but books being larger.
In the olden days, comic books had more than 32 pages. Action Comics #1 had 64 pages.

Since the '90s I've thought that modern comics should have a higher page count, use digital coloring and lettering, and be printed in high quality paper stock with a cardstock cover.
And the silver in that dime you could use to buy those 64 pages of Action comics today is worth $1.65 per Coinflation.

If you used a gold coin to make that purchase, you are looking more around $9.31.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:11:18 pm

And the silver in that dime you could use to buy those 64 pages of Action comics today is worth $1.65 per Coinflation.

If you used a gold coin to make that purchase, you are looking more around $9.31.
What percentage of one's wages did that dime represent in 1938?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:36:36 pm

Communism.

Minimum wage was inflicted on the US in 1938 at 25 cents an hour. I am not sure what kind of withholding would have been around at the time, but a minimum of 24 minutes digging ditches. 24 minutes of today’s minimum wage would be $2.90 but withholding would likely stretch the time needed to about 30 minutes to cover $2.90 of take home pay at current minimum wage prices.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:01:32 pm

Communism.

Minimum wage was inflicted on the US in 1938 at 25 cents an hour. I am not sure what kind of withholding would have been around at the time, but a minimum of 24 minutes digging ditches. 24 minutes of today’s minimum wage would be $2.90 but withholding would likely stretch the time needed to about 30 minutes to cover $2.90 of take home pay at current minimum wage prices.
Okay. In today's dollars, Action Comics #1 would have a cover price of $2.99 for 64 pages.

Now, if the production values increased for better paper and computer coloring and lettering it could justify an increase in cost of how much? Another dollar to make it $3.99 for 64 pages? Or two more dollars to make it $4.99 for 64 pages? Still less than double the cost of Action Comics #1 in 1938.

One would be paying that additional dollar or two for the increase in production values.

And those $3.99 to $4.99 would be comparable to less than 20 cents in 1938, no?

Math is my Kryptonite, but I don't think I'm that off with the numbers you gave.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Another factor is print runs. Comics back then were a mass media, most issues routinely printing 100s of thousands of copies that were sold on newsstands, drug stores, etc. Comics now are a niche media that print a small fraction of that. High volume brings costs down.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:42:53 pm Another factor is print runs. Comics back then were a mass media, most issues routinely printing 100s of thousands of copies that were sold on newsstands, drug stores, etc. Comics now are a niche media that print a small fraction of that. High volume brings costs down.
True.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Double post.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:42:53 pm Another factor is print runs. Comics back then were a mass media, most issues routinely printing 100s of thousands of copies that were sold on newsstands, drug stores, etc. Comics now are a niche media that print a small fraction of that. High volume brings costs down.
When DC killed Superman, that led to a boom in comic book sales that, while it lasted, was very lucrative for the industry.

How is it that Marvel Studios' success in other media didn't have a similar effect on the industry as a whole?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:24:56 am Since the '90s I've thought that modern comics should have a higher page count, use digital coloring and lettering, and be printed in high quality paper stock with a cardstock cover.
You're describing what used to be called 'Prestige Format'. I'm not sure if that term is still used.

DC used to do a lot of their high profile limited series in that format. 48 to 64 pages, high quality paper, cardstock cover, perfect binding (squarebound) instead of saddle stitched (stapled). They would be a lot pricier than normal comics, 6 or 7 bucks compared to 2 or 3 for a normal comic.

It looks like the books Alien is putting out are more like prestige format than trade paperback. It's mostly semantics though, the main difference is length. These days a TPB is usually 100 to 200 or more pages.

For example, check out what Alien is putting out: https://www.alienbooks.com/new-releases
THE HUNTSMAN #1 (of 2)
Script: Matts. Art: Agustin Alessio

CVR A : Agustin Alessio
CVR B: Al Barrionuevo

ISSUE 1 of 2. PRESTIGE FORMAT, 60 PAGES. Part of the upcoming "The Tesla Incident" saga.
In the vast wilderness of one of North America's largest parks, a group of adventurous young backpackers embarks on a journey in search of excitement and unforgettable memories. Little do they know, their path leads them into an eerie forest teeming with peculiar creatures and unsettling sights. As their escapade takes a dark turn, they find themselves trapped in a harrowing nightmare, stalked by a relentless predator known as The Huntsman. Is this monstrous entity merely a legendary apex predator akin to the enigmatic Bigfoot, or does it conceal a deeper, more sinister secret that poses a threat to the very fabric of humanity's existence?

A classic Slasher film-like story mixed with Science Fiction. Impressive realistic artwork by acclaimed artist Agustin Alessio (Captain America, Thor, Prometheus, Star Wars, Darth Vader, Tomb Rider).

In Shops: October 18, 2023

SRP: $12.99
They even call it Prestige Format in the solicitation.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:56:52 pm
When DC killed Superman, that led to a boom in comic book sales that, while it lasted, was very lucrative for the industry.

How is it that Marvel Studios' success in other media didn't have a similar effect on the industry as a whole?
Very good questions. There's a ton of factors for sure. IMO a lot of it has to do with modern comics being less accessible and readable to the average person. The focus is on shiny art and high production values over good storytelling principles.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:02:51 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:24:56 am Since the '90s I've thought that modern comics should have a higher page count, use digital coloring and lettering, and be printed in high quality paper stock with a cardstock cover.
You're describing what used to be called 'Prestige Format'. I'm not sure if that term is still used.

DC used to do a lot of their high profile limited series in that format. 48 to 64 pages, high quality paper, cardstock cover, perfect binding (squarebound) instead of saddle stitched (stapled). They would be a lot pricier than normal comics, 6 or 7 bucks compared to 2 or 3 for a normal comic.
Exactly.
It looks like the books Alien is putting out are more like prestige format than trade paperback. It's mostly semantics though, the main difference is length. These days a TPB is usually 100 to 200 or more pages.

For example, check out what Alien is putting out: https://www.alienbooks.com/new-releases
THE HUNTSMAN #1 (of 2)
Script: Matts. Art: Agustin Alessio

CVR A : Agustin Alessio
CVR B: Al Barrionuevo

ISSUE 1 of 2. PRESTIGE FORMAT, 60 PAGES. Part of the upcoming "The Tesla Incident" saga.
In the vast wilderness of one of North America's largest parks, a group of adventurous young backpackers embarks on a journey in search of excitement and unforgettable memories. Little do they know, their path leads them into an eerie forest teeming with peculiar creatures and unsettling sights. As their escapade takes a dark turn, they find themselves trapped in a harrowing nightmare, stalked by a relentless predator known as The Huntsman. Is this monstrous entity merely a legendary apex predator akin to the enigmatic Bigfoot, or does it conceal a deeper, more sinister secret that poses a threat to the very fabric of humanity's existence?

A classic Slasher film-like story mixed with Science Fiction. Impressive realistic artwork by acclaimed artist Agustin Alessio (Captain America, Thor, Prometheus, Star Wars, Darth Vader, Tomb Rider).

In Shops: October 18, 2023

SRP: $12.99
They even call it Prestige Format in the solicitation.
Wow, that's expensive.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:06:27 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:56:52 pm

Very good questions. There's a ton of factors for sure. IMO a lot of it has to do with modern comics being less accessible and readable to the average person. The focus is on shiny art and high production values over good storytelling principles.
Or pandering to Boomer nostalgia for the '60s, as DC has been doing for the last 20 years.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:35:02 pm
Chiclo wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:01:32 pm

Communism.

Okay. In today's dollars, Action Comics #1 would have a cover price of $2.99 for 64 pages.

Now, if the production values increased for better paper and computer coloring and lettering it could justify an increase in cost of how much? Another dollar to make it $3.99 for 64 pages? Or two more dollars to make it $4.99 for 64 pages? Still less than double the cost of Action Comics #1 in 1938.

One would be paying that additional dollar or two for the increase in production values.

And those $3.99 to $4.99 would be comparable to less than 20 cents in 1938, no?

Math is my Kryptonite, but I don't think I'm that off with the numbers you gave.
I think your numbers are solid but I disagree that the value is more in the time than the production but you agree with modern prevailing opinion here than I do.