Graphic Novels vs Monthlies.

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Graphic Novels vs Monthlies.

Post by ManofTheAtom »

What if Alien Books started out by publishing single-story graphic novels with the most important and commercial VALIANT characters (i.e. X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Shadowman, Ninjak, etc) and, based on sales, "graduated" the ones that sell the most to the monthly format?

The graphic novels could be the equivalent of a TV pilot. They set the tone, overreaching arc, characters, world-building, etc.

The ones that don't merit continuing as monthlies due to sales can continue as sporadic graphic novels released as the need of the overall story of the VALIANT Universe dictates.

That might be the perfect compromise between both formats, specially since single issue monthly stories would eventually be collected into graphic novel/trades.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson
Re: Graphic Novels vs Monthlies.

Post by GammaJosh »

I don't mind that in terms of getting new stories out into the world, but I think they may sacrifice some buzz and sales among the habitual Wednesday Warriors. I assume if we get an OGN that means we are not going to get that character again for several months. I'd rather get to look forward to a monthly hit of any given character. The OGN approach, to me, doesn't really leverage Valiant as being the "3rd largest shared universe" that they like to tout.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:50:22 pm I don't mind that in terms of getting new stories out into the world, but I think they may sacrifice some buzz and sales among the habitual Wednesday Warriors. I assume if we get an OGN that means we are not going to get that character again for several months. I'd rather get to look forward to a monthly hit of any given character. The OGN approach, to me, doesn't really leverage Valiant as being the "3rd largest shared universe" that they like to tout.
I don't disagree. That said, it could help them give the stories a more cinematic feel in the start.

Graphic novels should be reserved for epic stories, so opening with a handful might be a good thing.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

GammaJosh
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

I could get behind some monthly Giant-Size one-shots that still hit comic shops as saddle-stitched comics.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:59:43 pm I could get behind some monthly Giant-Size one-shots that still hit comic shops as saddle-stitched comics.
Yeah. We need more stuff like that.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

It may be worth noting that nothing on the Alien Books website is less than $9.99.

They either have to introduce cheaper pricing for monthly comics, or they'll be doing something in the $9.99 or higher category.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

greg wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:54:50 pm It may be worth noting that nothing on the Alien Books website is less than $9.99.

They either have to introduce cheaper pricing for monthly comics, or they'll be doing something in the $9.99 or higher category.
$9.99 was the cost of a VALIANT trade that collected four issues worth.

How many pages do Alien Books' comics have for that price?

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:07:49 pm
greg wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:54:50 pm It may be worth noting that nothing on the Alien Books website is less than $9.99.

They don't specify: https://www.alienbooks.com/new-releases

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

greg wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:11:48 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:07:49 pm

They don't specify: https://www.alienbooks.com/new-releases
Ah, ok.

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:31:59 pm What if Alien Books started out by publishing single-story graphic novels with the most important and commercial VALIANT characters (i.e. X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Shadowman, Ninjak, etc) and, based on sales, "graduated" the ones that sell the most to the monthly format?

The graphic novels could be the equivalent of a TV pilot. They set the tone, overreaching arc, characters, world-building, etc.

The ones that don't merit continuing as monthlies due to sales can continue as sporadic graphic novels released as the need of the overall story of the VALIANT Universe dictates.

That might be the perfect compromise between both formats, specially since single issue monthly stories would eventually be collected into graphic novel/trades.
That would suck.

Monthly issues of core characters, built up a few books at time the way it was done in 2012-2018.
Focus on the shared universe.
A quarterly(or bimonthly) anthology book with more pages and 2-4 shorter single stories, or serialized storylines, that can be used for some new art/writing talent testing, and new characters, story styles, and team-ups can get tried out.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

slack wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:55:46 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:31:59 pm What if Alien Books started out by publishing single-story graphic novels with the most important and commercial VALIANT characters (i.e. X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Shadowman, Ninjak, etc) and, based on sales, "graduated" the ones that sell the most to the monthly format?

That would suck.

Monthly issues of core characters, built up a few books at time the way it was done in 2012-2018.
Focus on the shared universe.
A quarterly(or bimonthly) anthology book with more pages and 2-4 shorter single stories, or serialized storylines, that can be used for some new art/writing talent testing, and new characters, story styles, and team-ups can get tried out.
That'd be cool.

slack

Post by slack »

Dinesh always argued with me about the anthology book. He just could not see a value in it.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

slack wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:04:20 pm Dinesh always argued with me about the anthology book. He just could not see a value in it.
Well, in terms of narrative they really don't serve one. They really only exist to showcase the IP in one off stories that don't really/necessarily contribute much value to the overall universe.

It's the kind of thing that would be nice to have if for no other reason than to see said one-off stories about characters that might otherwise not merit a one-shot or mini-series, but, ultimately, they're not really worth the expense for the same reason that they are one-offs with no real intrinsic value with characters that don't merit the spotlight.

Acclaim was going to do an anthology toward the end, but that never happened.

slack

Post by slack »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:27:28 pm
slack wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:04:20 pm Dinesh always argued with me about the anthology book. He just could not see a value in it.
Well, in terms of narrative they really don't serve one. They really only exist to showcase the IP in one off stories that don't really/necessarily contribute much value to the overall universe.

It's the kind of thing that would be nice to have if for no other reason than to see said one-off stories about characters that might otherwise not merit a one-shot or mini-series, but, ultimately, they're not really worth the expense for the same reason that they are one-offs with no real intrinsic value with characters that don't merit the spotlight.

Could be a first appearance of new character that gains spotlight, could have stories there that help do inbetween world-building, could use the anthology to kick off crossovers, or to tie together crossovers. They don't have to be throwaway one-offs... they can easily have "key" issues, and won't necessarily be tied down by needing to be a story that needs to fit in a GN format later.

I think it could work great, but Dinesh never hired me. Look at Valiant now... just sayin.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

slack wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:45:34 pm

Could be a first appearance of new character that gains spotlight, could have stories there that help do inbetween world-building, could use the anthology to kick off crossovers, or to tie together crossovers. They don't have to be throwaway one-offs... they can easily have "key" issues, and won't necessarily be tied down by needing to be a story that needs to fit in a GN format later.

I think it could work great, but Dinesh never hired me. Look at Valiant now... just sayin.
They never hired me either, though some of the first VEI issues do have suggestions I made, heh.

Yes, they could have all of that, but the cool thing about the original VALIANT is that such things happened organically without much fanfare. Such as Jack Boniface's cameo in X-O Manowar Vol 1. #4.

slack

Post by slack »

I also told them all that Vin Diesel only plays one character over and over, and the Bloodshot movie will suck with him. Again, I say... look at Valiant now. (covid can take some blame, but that movie sucks)

Either way, DMG won't hire me either. They were content to steal my Kickstarter money, to further prove to me that they know what they're doing.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

slack wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:55:05 am I also told them all that Vin Diesel only plays one character over and over, and the Bloodshot movie will suck with him. Again, I say... look at Valiant now. (covid can take some blame, but that movie sucks)

Either way, DMG won't hire me either. They were content to steal my Kickstarter money, to further prove to me that they know what they're doing.
I thought Bloodshot was okay. I've watched it twice now.

My point of contention with it is that I wish it had been about the Angelo Mortalli version instead of the Raymond Garrison version.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:19:06 am
slack wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:55:05 am I also told them all that Vin Diesel only plays one character over and over, and the Bloodshot movie will suck with him. Again, I say... look at Valiant now. (covid can take some blame, but that movie sucks)

My point of contention with it is that I wish it had been about the Angelo Mortalli version instead of the Raymond Garrison version.
For me it was a modern B movie, with the best cast being Pearce, Morris and Gonzalez in their respective roles.

But that aside, given that comics and movie synergy would be desirable, why would they deliver a Bloodshot from twenty-plus years earlier rather than the current iteration?
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:23:49 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:19:06 am

For me it was a modern B movie, with the best cast being Pearce, Morris and Gonzalez in their respective roles.

But that aside, given that comics and movie synergy would be desirable, why would they deliver a Bloodshot from twenty-plus years earlier rather than the current iteration?
Using Raymond Garrison as Bloodshot was a continued point of contention between me and Dinesh whenever we discussed the comics, heh. I kept pushing him for using Angelo, arguing that Angelo Mortalli is to Bloodshot what Clark Kent is to Superman.

I still stand by that today. I've never really liked the Raymond Garrison version. I thought that compared to Mortalli (whose name is considerably more interesting) he was really boring. The VEI series didn't change that opinion.

I still think there is a lot more that can be mined from Angelo Mortalli than there could be from Raymond. Indeed, Raymond's background is still considerably sparce, whereas Angelo being a mobster has a lot of prefabricated world-building behind it.

I also prefer it when Project Rising Spirit is a Japanese company founded by a man obsessed with becoming immortal. PRS (which name doesn't really make sense in the context of being a weapons manufacturer) wasn't as unique as that.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:57:30 pm PRS (which name doesn't really make sense in the context of being a weapons manufacturer)
In the last ~20 years, a lot of firearms manufacturers making specific AR-platform rifle variations have sprung up like weeds. Project Rising Spirit could get lost in the crowd with them.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:35:17 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:57:30 pm PRS (which name doesn't really make sense in the context of being a weapons manufacturer)
In the last ~20 years, a lot of firearms manufacturers making specific AR-platform rifle variations have sprung up like weeds. Project Rising Spirit could get lost in the crowd with them.
Yeah, but the name, Project Rising Spirit, doesn't really go with that. It's a weird name for a weapons' manufacturer.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:42:03 am
slack wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:45:34 pm

They never hired me either, though some of the first VEI issues do have suggestions I made, heh.

Yes, they could have all of that, but the cool thing about the original VALIANT is that such things happened organically without much fanfare. Such as Jack Boniface's cameo in X-O Manowar Vol 1. #4.
Is there anyone on this board who's NOT a VEI insider? lol

I've said many times I was never a fan of how overpowered VEI Bloodshot's was. If he can get blown to red mist and still not die, what can possibly threaten him? This takes the suspense out of the action.

The whole false memory/who am I really? plot has been done a lot but can be fun. There wasn't enough straight action-adventure for my taste though.

The VH1 BS has the problem of being even more cliche. The amnesiac super-soldier who used to be a mobster but now (for some reason?) is an altruistic hero is like every action movie from the 80s/90s. However, VH1 BS was fun.

One of the best things about VH1 was how they took concepts that weren't very original and made them feel fresh by giving them more depth, and put them in a tight shared universe where there were real consequences for their actions.

slack

Post by slack »

I'm no insider. Dinesh was just good at responding to people on social media. I chatted with him at a con for a bit once also.

I did get Rafer Roberts to name a HARDcorps troop after me... a character codenamed Hayseed is as close as it gets to me being an insider. I did bribe him with a Snickers bar.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

slack wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:19:35 pm I'm no insider. Dinesh was just good at responding to people on social media. I chatted with him at a con for a bit once also.

I did get Rafer Roberts to name a HARDcorps troop after me... a character codenamed Hayseed is as close as it gets to me being an insider. I did bribe him with a Snickers bar.
Nice, I guess I was exaggerating a bit heh. Seriously though one of the coolest things about Dino-era VEI is that they seemed to be very open and accessible with the fans.

slack

Post by slack »

Ryan wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:26:04 pm
slack wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:19:35 pm I'm no insider. Dinesh was just good at responding to people on social media. I chatted with him at a con for a bit once also.

Nice, I guess I was exaggerating a bit heh. Seriously though one of the coolest things about Dino-era VEI is that they seemed to be very open and accessible with the fans.
Dinesh being so open to engaging in non-spoiler conversation directly with anyone willing to hit him up... that was a big part of the Dinesh-era "special sauce".

"The company" was people... and many of them engaged us directly when we asked them to. They became personalities that we looked for at cons... not just writers and artists, but execs and sales managers were stars!

post DMG takeover, a few of the replacements have tried to do it that way... some succeeded, and others ended up fighting fans online and hurling insults.

Dinesh would take a fan's vicious insulting rant, and respond by saying something like, "trust me, check out the arc we have coming up next though... hit me back up after you've read that!"

Currently, I think Dani Ward may be the only person from the company willing to engage, props to her for trying at such a terrible time.