Collectors vs Readers

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Collectors vs Readers

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Do you think we might be entering a VALIANT era in which the people buying the comics will be comprised entirely of readers that value them for the characters and the stories as opposed to collectors and/or speculators that value them for their resale value?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?
Re: Collectors vs Readers

Post by slack »

Once the marketing push from DMG/ALIEN starts touting a new group of Valiant universe titles coming out with expected release dates...
more speculators will start popping up.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

slack wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:14:52 pm Once the marketing push from DMG/ALIEN starts touting a new group of Valiant universe titles coming out with expected release dates...
more speculators will start popping up.
Bummer.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

They should try some gimmick covers! Chromium or, what, glow in the dark? First issue, collector’s editions! Have a little fun with it.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:41:20 pm Do you think we might be entering a VALIANT era in which the people buying the comics will be comprised entirely of readers that value them for the characters and the stories as opposed to collectors and/or speculators that value them for their resale value?
I hope so. Forced collectability and chasing of story material (not variant covers) was the end of me reading VEI.

That said, I recognise the value of variants to bolster sales income, just not adding exclusivity to story content.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:42:44 pm They should try some gimmick covers! Chromium or, what, glow in the dark? First issue, collector’s editions! Have a little fun with it.
Any "gimmicks" should be based on story.

For instance, the first issue of Michael Turner's Fathom had five variant covers that each contained different pages of art and story that told the same plot from different characters' perspectives.

If you're going to ask people to buy more than one copy of a comic, at least reward them by offering them more content.

One of the best things about VH 1 VALIANT was when they'd retell the same thing from different perspectives, such as in Unity.

Surely there is something there worth exploring.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:09:29 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:41:20 pm Do you think we might be entering a VALIANT era in which the people buying the comics will be comprised entirely of readers that value them for the characters and the stories as opposed to collectors and/or speculators that value them for their resale value?
I hope so. Forced collectability and chasing of story material (not variant covers) was the end of me reading VEI.

That said, I recognise the value of variants to bolster sales income, just not adding exclusivity to story content.
This is all assuming Alien will even do singles and not just dive into graphic novels and the like.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:37:47 pm
Chiclo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:42:44 pm They should try some gimmick covers! Chromium or, what, glow in the dark? First issue, collector’s editions! Have a little fun with it.
For instance, the first issue of Michael Turner's Fathom had five variant covers that each contained different pages of art and story that told the same plot from different characters' perspectives.
That sounds truly awful. No room to choose to be into the variants or just read the story. You're forced to do both or none.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:09:12 pm
That sounds truly awful. No room to choose to be into the variants or just read the story. You're forced to do both or none.
I think Turner's mistake was charging people the same for every issue.

If the combined cost of all five covers with extra pages equaled the cost of one issue, the gimmick might have worked more.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:39:38 pm

This is all assuming Alien will even do singles and not just dive into graphic novels and the like.
I could live with the GN approach.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:09:12 pm
Agreed.

Ugh, that sounds like the kind of *SQUEE* that Dinesh and co would consider, which drove me away from VEI. They created some great stories and some very fan-unfriendly gimmicks for non-US based readers.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:10:10 am

I truly hope we don't see that.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:49:24 pm

I expect if Alien can do it they will quadruple-dip (print singles, digital singles, tpbs then larger page count HCs), but I’d be interested to see a publisher work to longer form publication in the first instance, and how that would shape the storytelling freed from the shackles of publishing to fit collected editions.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:07:52 pm

I expect if Alien can do it they will quadruple-dip (print singles, digital singles, tpbs then larger page count HCs), but I’d be interested to see a publisher work to longer form publication in the first instance, and how that would shape the storytelling freed from the shackles of publishing to fit collected editions.
I feel like trades/OGNs just keep an IP alive in the legal sense, and aren't really conductive to great storytelling or building up an audience.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:53:18 pm

I feel like trades/OGNs just keep an IP alive in the legal sense, and aren't really conductive to great storytelling or building up an audience.
Very few collected editions are evergreen, and of those that are, likley only one really matters for IP holding (Watchmen), since by and large copyrights and trademarks are protected.

A way to maybe look at things differently is this: imagine if every movie was exactly 95 minutes long; there would be little room to push against those boundaries. Linear television has that problem, and therefore must work to constraints as comics do (albeit comics can flex panels per page whereas linear TV cannot really flex by minutes other than by one or two minutes). Look at streaming platform shows - they have episode lengths dictated by the material, rather than dictating the material to fit episode length.

OGNs would genuinely allow material to have the room to breathe if page counts were mapped to story rather than be packaged to the 22 page, 4/5/6 part story length we see with tpbs.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

leonmallett wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:43:24 pm

Very few collected editions are evergreen, and of those that are, likley only one really matters for IP holding (Watchmen), since by and large copyrights and trademarks are protected.

A way to maybe look at things differently is this: imagine if every movie was exactly 95 minutes long; there would be little room to push against those boundaries. Linear television has that problem, and therefore must work to constraints as comics do (albeit comics can flex panels per page whereas linear TV cannot really flex by minutes other than by one or two minutes). Look at streaming platform shows - they have episode lengths dictated by the material, rather than dictating the material to fit episode length.

OGNs would genuinely allow material to have the room to breathe if page counts were mapped to story rather than be packaged to the 22 page, 4/5/6 part story length we see with tpbs.
I feel like 'writing for the trade' and decompression is a stylistic choice that moder comics use, but they don't have to. I know some may argue it 'lets the story breath' (nothing wrong with that), it usually just feels lazy and incomplete to me.

I get what you're saying though, ideally without the constraints of a certain page count, creativity would go up. I'm not as confident that would end up being the result.

There is also the fact that initial investment is higher to produce a GN. However I've seen it work for the crowdfunding business model, since charging $20-30 makes a lot more sense for a 50+ pg. GN than for a single issue.

I wouldn't like to see it since I still like the single issues and I still like the idea of comic book shops and new comic book day. But I wouldn't rule out what you're saying.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:11:06 pm I wouldn't like to see it since I still like the single issues and I still like the idea of comic book shops and new comic book day. But I wouldn't rule out what you're saying.
Plus a higher frequency of releases. Goes to MOTA's point of building momentum, building a universe, and building a fanbase is easier when there's more frequent releases. Could they do a new GN every month? Would be interesting to see.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:27:05 pm
Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:11:06 pm I wouldn't like to see it since I still like the single issues and I still like the idea of comic book shops and new comic book day. But I wouldn't rule out what you're saying.
Plus a higher frequency of releases. Goes to MOTA's point of building momentum, building a universe, and building a fanbase is easier when there's more frequent releases. Could they do a new GN every month? Would be interesting to see.
In theory, yeah. We could have one 96 page Bloodshot GN every month, but not necessarily by the same writer and certainly not the same artist.

I worry such a model might replicate how things were at the end of VH 1, when they published two issues a week but every month it was with essentially an entirely different creative team, resulting in each two issues being nothing more than insignificant one-offs, with no narrative thread.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:43:24 pm

Well, that is certainly a problem with comic writers not really understanding real dramatic structure. That's why they need to pad things out between scenes to fill a page and issue quota.

If a story is created for a 96 or 120 page trade, it should be just as easily possible to break it down into single issues of 20, 22, or 24 pages each.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:32:51 pm
In theory, yeah. We could have one 96 page Bloodshot GN every month, but not necessarily by the same writer and certainly not the same artist.

I worry such a model might replicate how things were at the end of VH 1, when they published two issues a week but every month it was with essentially an entirely different creative team, resulting in each two issues being nothing more than insignificant one-offs, with no narrative thread.
I meant one GN per month overall. So in theory you'd have Bloodshot one month, X-O the next month, etc. Then Bloodshot (for example) would come out quarterly or 2 or 3 times a year by the same creative team. A little bit similar to the French BD market, where a single creative team does 2-4 'Albums' per year of a single title.

Not saying I'm in favor of this, I prefer the single issue (comic magazine) format myself.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:35:03 pm Well, that is certainly a problem with comic writers not really understanding real dramatic structure. That's why they need to pad things out between scenes to fill a page and issue quota.

If a story is created for a 96 or 120 page trade, it should be just as easily possible to break it down into single issues of 20, 22, or 24 pages each.
Definitely. Writers barely ever write for the single issue format anymore anyway.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:03:23 pm

I meant one GN per month overall. So in theory you'd have Bloodshot one month, X-O the next month, etc. Then Bloodshot (for example) would come out quarterly or 2 or 3 times a year by the same creative team. A little bit similar to the French BD market, where a single creative team does 2-4 'Albums' per year of a single title.

Not saying I'm in favor of this, I prefer the single issue (comic magazine) format myself.
See, I'm not a fan of that. It's not really conductive to proper world and universe building. It's just something one reads to pass the time.

I really hope that's not what happens.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:30:58 pm

See, I'm not a fan of that. It's not really conductive to proper world and universe building. It's just something one reads to pass the time.

I agree, just trying to imagine how a GN line would work.

Something similar was tried with the DC Earth One series.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:58:23 pm

Yeah, and that fizzled out. I think that the most they ever got was three Superman GNs from JMS.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:28:54 am
Ryan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:58:23 pm

Yeah, and that fizzled out. I think that the most they ever got was three Superman GNs from JMS.
3 Batman, 3 Wonder Woman, 3 Superman, 2 Green Lantern, 2 Teen Titans.