Valiant Beyond vs. Breakthrough

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Valiant Beyond vs. Breakthrough

Post by TheFerg714 »

https://imgur.com/a/YpDC6d2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alright, now that the dust has settled, what did you think of each of these publishing initiatives and which was better?

I honestly appreciate that Illidge went for it and attempted two ongoings, but holy *SQUEE*, did that not go right. Bloodshot was an abject failure starting at issue 2 and Livewire got worse and worse every arc. I actually liked Dreamside (as well as Lost Eagles of Rome) quite a bit, but it was a product of the previous administration. Finally, Incursion was legitimately great, but I think it went through a whole bunch of changes by the time it actually got to our hands.

Breakthrough on the other hand, at least in terms of quality storytelling, has been generally a success I think. LaDoTH was obviously amazing, but like Dreamside, it was created by Dinesh and co. Punk Mambo might have been a base hit, but it was solid, the art was exciting, and it was something that the character needed and deserved. Fallen World was an unequivocal fan success (I think). It was consistently rated second place on this board, next to LaDoTH. Killers remains to be seen, but I've been pretty happy with it so far.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Valiant Beyond vs. Breakthrough

Post by SwiftMann »

Considering there are issues in both Rising Spirit and Livewire that could fight for the title of "Worst Single Issue of the Decade" I'd say Breakthrough wins by default.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

TheFerg714 wrote:I honestly appreciate that Illidge went for it and attempted two ongoings, but holy *SQUEE*, did that not go right. Bloodshot was an abject failure starting at issue 2 and Livewire got worse and worse every arc.
Yeah, those kind of broke me and I stopped reading around issue #5 of Livewire. Bloodshot was an absolute clusterfark. I have been trying to get back into the reading habit and enjoyed Incursion and The Forgotten Queen.

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

To me this is a competition between incompetent and negligent :!:

LADOTH was a Dinesh and co thing so no one at current VEI can take credit for that.

Fallen World was very good and Incursion was solid.

Everything else though has ranged from mediocre to downright disgraceful embarrassments.

So for me both Valiant Beyond and Breakthrough get the booby prizes!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:To me this is a competition between incompetent and negligent :!:

LADOTH was a Dinesh and co thing so no one at current VEI can take credit for that.

Fallen World was very good and Incursion was solid.

Everything else though has ranged from mediocre to downright disgraceful embarrassments.

So for me both Valiant Beyond and Breakthrough get the booby prizes!
I agree with the above sentiments.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t