Sign of the times

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Change is...

Good!
82%
Bad!
18%

Total votes: 22

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Sign of the times

Post by DJSpecter »

I remember one of my high school teachers gave a class explaining that many parts of the Biblical narative are reflective of the society and that the Bible is reserving judgement and reporting the facts. A key example of this is the lineages that are related in the first 12 chapters of the Bible. The exclusion of most women from the begetting process is reflective of the society (even though, oddly enough, the first song in the bible is a quasi-love song).

Anyway, the point was to show just how this board has evolved. I don't believe that greg (a stand in for the Almighty in the analogy) molds the board according to what he believes it should be, rather he makes it a reflection of what is.

greg has said that his initial desire was a web-page on the core valiant. Unity-PreUnity. (Maybe not even unity, I don't remember. May the benevolent greg have mercy on my feebleness.) That evolved into all the VH1. It later grew to include VH2 because of requests that it should. During my time here, I have seen the board grow from one section with four or five sub-sections.

When I arrived there was General Discussion, Re-reading Valiant, Topic Oblivion, Technical Issues, Buy/Sell/Trade. I think that was it.

This grew to two sections. Valiant and other. The three sections under the other category remained the same until now.

As the board grew more sections were added to the Valiant category. Some were seen by all, and some were member select. Valiant Art and Hall of Fame were added for all. The Bloodshot/Solar 2004 projects inspired the registered members category. And the proposition of an all inclusive Valiant Handbook led way to that member select category. I suppose it is possible there is another member select category I don't know about (besides TO, which is only visible when logged in). :wink:

As the board became a little less about comics and became more of a community, we added our current police force, "friends and foes." Soon to follow were these changes. The changes don't reflect a change in greg. They reflect how we interact with each other. A kudos to everyone for making the board such an [topically] all-inclusive community.

A kudos to greg for not giving us a full reflection of ourselves by having a category for fart jokes and a category for insults.

:thumb:

*Please note this post is not a reference guide for the changes made in the board. Certain changes were omitted. This includes the "My Valiant Story" section; the change of CGC Grading to Proffesionally Graded Comics; and Don Perlin.*

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Good post, Dave! It would seem that by going on the views vs. votes ratio, that apathy is a sign of the times also! :(

Now where is that Massaraky interview you were gonna do???---Steve

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Vault-Keeper wrote: It would seem that by going on the views vs. votes ratio, that apathy is a sign of the times also! :(
ASM Crossover Home

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Vault-Keeper, WHAT or Who threw up on your avatar? Is everything ok?

Bierstadt 4TW!!!!

~The Unblessed Soul

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Unblessed wrote:Vault-Keeper, WHAT or Who threw up on your avatar? Is everything ok?

Bierstadt 4TW!!!!

~The Unblessed Soul
It was a psychedelic Jimi Hendrix picture. But I have changed it to one of my favorites girls---Bettie Page!

Hot'cha!

(I'll probably change it again soon! :wink: )

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

Vault-Keeper wrote:
Unblessed wrote:Vault-Keeper, WHAT or Who threw up on your avatar? Is everything ok?

Bierstadt 4TW!!!!

~The Unblessed Soul
It was a psychedelic Jimi Hendrix picture. But I have changed it to one of my favorites girls---Bettie Page!

Hot'cha!

(I'll probably change it again soon! :wink: )
Your change inspired me to finally change... :thumb:

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Great, now I'm apocryphal!
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!