"Joe Illidge, No Longer Executive Editor at Valiant"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
"Joe Illidge, No Longer Executive Editor at Valiant"

Post by TheFerg714 »

I have nothing to add, just thought you guys might want to know.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/10 ... ve-editor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: "Joe Illidge, No Longer Executive Editor at Valiant"

Post by BugsySig »

Just beat me to it.

Warren was there for what, 5-6 years? DMG comes in and they’re onto their 2nd guy in what seems like a few months. That is if they have a 2nd guy. No EiC doesn’t bode well for the books coming out.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re:

Post by nonplayer »

BugsySig wrote:Just beat me to it.

Warren was there for what, 5-6 years? DMG comes in and they’re onto their 2nd guy in what seems like a few months. That is if they have a 2nd guy. No EiC doesn’t bode well for the books coming out.
Excuse my lack of knolage but what is EiC.

Personally Im keeping the hope alive that Dinesh is returning and will right the V DMG ship
I Miss the good old days.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Re: Re:

Post by betterthanezra »

nonplayer wrote:

Personally Im keeping the hope alive that Dinesh is returning and will right the V DMG ship
Editor In Chief

Dinesh isn't returning I'm sorry it's just not happening

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

This doesn't bode well at all.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

betterthanezra wrote:
nonplayer wrote:

Editor In Chief

-Brian
Its the only happy ending to this crappy story so far. Ever since dmg took over its just not been a reason to stay valiant.
I dont know whats wores the comics or This news. It just gets worse and worse.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

UPDATE: Joe Illidge replies with this e-mail;

“I’ve had a lot of dynamic and provocative conversations the last few days – and am excited to be connecting with people who are truly ready to explore the deep and inherently powerful connections between character and culture in contemporary comics and other media. Stay tuned!!”

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Geez ... what a *SQUEE* show. I wonder who is pulling all the strings around there?

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Re:

Post by SuperMage »

From the sound of things, Joe's departure was abrupt. So there's no one there to replace for the time being. Now's definitely not a good time for such a major shake up on the publishing side of things.
So after purging the entire publishing line to replace the books with new talent handpicked by Joe, he quits the company just as the new books start rolling out. Considering that Joe was responsible for bringing in a lot of the Lion Forge talent, I'm assuming most of those creators will follow his lead and bail on Valiant. Which means another purge is probably going to happen once the next EiC comes in to get rid of the Lionforge talent that Joe brought in to replace the Valiant talent. It literally hasn't even been a year yet, and DMG can't seem to create a stable environment at Valiant. Probably wasn't the best idea to make an accountant president.

Dinesh is never coming back. Not as long as Dan Mintz is CEO of DMG Entertainment. The general state of things is pretty concerning. Valiant Entertainment is pretty much a mess at this point. Creators, and staff have been leaving left and right nonstop over the past year, and just as things looked like they were going to come together this happens. DMG Entertainment and Media is still tied up the Chinese court's hands, and, if China decides to dissolve DMG Entertainment's parent company, Dan Mintz can kiss goodbye to all that sweet Yuan that he needs to keep himself afloat.

I kind of want to watch where all this leads out of morbid curiosity. It's interesting to see all the behind the scenes drama that these companies get involved in. I'm learning a lot about Venture Capitalism, mostly to never trust Venture Capitalist.
depluto wrote:Geez ... what a *SQUEE* show. I wonder who is pulling all the strings around there?
A team of highly trained brain-dead octopuses jacked up on home made speed. They're thinking about going on tour with Rob Liefeld as their manager/graphic designer. It works, because then Liefeld doesn't have to worry about drawing feet for their posters.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

SuperMage wrote: I'm learning a lot about Venture Capitalism, mostly to never trust Venture Capitalist.
Just ask Jim Shooter.

I talked with Joe Illidge in San Diego last year. He seemed like he had a really good concept of Harbinger and how it was at the heart of the Valiant Universe. He knew a lot about the characters and their history, and I wanted to see where he could lead them. Bummer.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re:

Post by syzhang28 »

I know I suggested this might happen in a different thread but I'm shocked it did. He was barely there. Did anyone get a book he was responsible for (I think Bloodshot Rising Spirit and Livewire are the only two Warren and Dinesh didn't create) signed by him?

Warren joined in 2012 I think but they never replaced him EIC. Joe Illidge was hired as an executive editor. For that matter they never replaced the Chief Creative Officer job that Dinesh had which oversees the universe growth, other media etc in addition to the books.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Hmmm...Rib Leifeld as the next Valiant EiC...
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

SuperMage wrote:

From the sound of things, Joe's departure was abrupt. So there's no one there to replace for the time being. Now's definitely not a good time for such a major shake up on the publishing side of things.
So after purging the entire publishing line to replace the books with new talent handpicked by Joe, he quits the company just as the new books start rolling out. Considering that Joe was responsible for bringing in a lot of the Lion Forge talent, I'm assuming most of those creators will follow his lead and bail on Valiant. Which means another purge is probably going to happen once the next EiC comes in to get rid of the Lionforge talent that Joe brought in to replace the Valiant talent. It literally hasn't even been a year yet, and DMG can't seem to create a stable environment at Valiant. Probably wasn't the best idea to make an accountant president.

Dinesh is never coming back. Not as long as Dan Mintz is CEO of DMG Entertainment. The general state of things is pretty concerning. Valiant Entertainment is pretty much a mess at this point. Creators, and staff have been leaving left and right nonstop over the past year, and just as things looked like they were going to come together this happens. DMG Entertainment and Media is still tied up the Chinese court's hands, and, if China decides to dissolve DMG Entertainment's parent company, Dan Mintz can kiss goodbye to all that sweet Yuan that he needs to keep himself afloat.

I kind of want to watch where all this leads out of morbid curiosity. It's interesting to see all the behind the scenes drama that these companies get involved in. I'm learning a lot about Venture Capitalism, mostly to never trust Venture Capitalist.
depluto wrote:Geez ... what a *SQUEE* show. I wonder who is pulling all the strings around there?
A team of highly trained brain-dead octopuses jacked up on home made speed. They're thinking about going on tour with Rob Liefeld as their manager/graphic designer. It works, because then Liefeld doesn't have to worry about drawing feet for their posters.
I think it's pretty clear he was fired. No way he left such a plum job after bringing his people in. I'm guessing they didn't like the sales and reviews for the books he was responsible for. The new Faith book tanked on the sales chart, Bloodshot Rising Spirit is a critical flop and has a rotating roster of artists and writers that's crazy.

I Dan Mintz isn't the CEO. Not to say that isn't the reason Dinesh won't be back. Just that Dan is Chairman and they never actually replaced Dinesh as CEO. That means Valiant has had no CEO, Chief Creative Officer or Editor in Chief since Dinesh left...

Dan Mintz and Fred Pierce are pulling the strings of the show aren't they?

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

What if he just made so much noise about DMG or other folks changing editorial choices? Sometimes folks that make noise get pushed out.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Wow! Give me an effing break. RIP Joe, lol. I swear to god if this whole thing falls apart before LIFE AND DEATH OF TOYO is published I will angerly post on a message board about my disappointment and frustration.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

depluto wrote:Geez ... what a *SQUEE* show.
+1 :censored: facepalm
#StayValiant

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Would like to know what happened here. Was Joe fired due to sales? direction of the line (was that his job?)?

Interesting to see if the company stays afloat with so much change in both back end staff and creative teams/titles.

2018 has felt like Valiant is a superhero universe struggling to find its identity / commit to a single path, some of that is DMG enforced change, some pre-dates the takeover.

:hope: for some positives soon...

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Maybe this is the "big plans for the future" they have been teasing?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

While the ongoing management shakeups are a concern, I think there's some disconnect between people's views of recent books and this news.

There's been a fair amount of groaning about the direction and content of recent issues here on the board. Perhaps this is just a response to some of that. What if it winds up being a cure for it? What if things get better? Glass half full, for me.

nonplayer
Re:

Post by nonplayer »

BugsySig wrote:Hmmm...Rib Leifeld as the next Valiant EiC...
With the right sauce Rib Leifeld could be pretty sweet. :kidaround:

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

On the bright side, at least some places still sell curly fries.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

*Cough * Ack-Lame *Cough*

I missed it the first time around because I jumped ship completely when acclaim canceled dr mirage. Though I haven’t read any VEI in a long while now..It’s rather fascinating watching this train wreck unfold now..

My only wish and dream for Valiant now is... win a ridiculous lotto soon.. buy Valiant.. and get Bob Hall to make shadowman 44..

As much as I was so glad that Dinesh and others brought back Valiant and that a movie is coming soon..

I’d rather see the characters sleep for decades like the GK3 than be run into the ground again.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Feeling like I made the right decision when I told my LCS as I wasn't gonna get any Valiant anymore. It hurt, but I haven't been interested in a while. They dumped all the creatives I liked and I just figured I'd cut bait. All in for 6+ years has to count for something, yeah? I felt like I was supporting something good before. Now, I just feel like I'm helping a crook make money with the DMG debacle.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Tony_H
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

A guess: DMG USA hasn’t been trying to make money via Valiant, they’ve been trying to lose money. A structured loss to offset taxable profits somewhere else.

battlepark
Favorite character: uh...All of them!

Post by battlepark »

Dinesh, please tell me Brian is a liar!!!
betterthanezra wrote:
nonplayer wrote:

Editor In Chief

-Brian
I hoard Newsstand Editions facepalm