Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior

Post by otomo »

This and what would be Unity Vol 2 deluxe I believe are the only "old valiant" I hadn't read yet. Finally caught up on the whole universe.

I finally got around to this and this series was some of Valiant's best work. Venditti put together a masterful story opening, a beautiful villain with The Dying One and the art was wonderful. I'd read his "Awakening" in issue form and was glad to see it reprinted in the oversized format in here as well. That would have been a great start to another series too with a different premise. Really I'd never been too interested in The Eternal Warrior. I thought the Pak stuff was okay, but this was at a whole different level with backstory, world building and cool stuff. I wish Valiant could still have Venditti working for them.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

otomo wrote:This and what would be Unity Vol 2 deluxe I believe are the only "old valiant" I hadn't read yet. Finally caught up on the whole universe.

I finally got around to this and this series was some of Valiant's best work. Venditti put together a masterful story opening, a beautiful villain with The Dying One and the art was wonderful. I'd read his "Awakening" in issue form and was glad to see it reprinted in the oversized format in here as well. That would have been a great start to another series too with a different premise. Really I'd never been too interested in The Eternal Warrior. I thought the Pak stuff was okay, but this was at a whole different level with backstory, world building and cool stuff. I wish Valiant could still have Venditti working for them.
It's probably my favorite. Like you, Pak and the character hadn't connected until this. I'd bought the trades, but when I got the deluxe it became the first VEI book I reread (and in a single sitting).

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Wrath of the eternal warrior is valiants best full story. In my eyes
I Miss the good old days.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Mine too. Venditti hit it out of the park! It has a beginning, a middle, and an end. It doesn't meander nor is it filled with padding. If we never get another Eternal Warrior story I would still be happy knowing what we got was the best.

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

kinggirlfriend wrote:Mine too. Venditti hit it out of the park! It has a beginning, a middle, and an end. It doesn't meander nor is it filled with padding. If we never get another Eternal Warrior story I would still be happy knowing what we got was the best.
never getting another Eternal Warrior story... *SQUEE* that :!:

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

jaden_sai wrote:
kinggirlfriend wrote:Mine too. Venditti hit it out of the park! It has a beginning, a middle, and an end. It doesn't meander nor is it filled with padding. If we never get another Eternal Warrior story I would still be happy knowing what we got was the best.
never getting another Eternal Warrior story... *SQUEE* that :!:
I don't know about that...

Currently, he is being slowly re-introduced in Ninja-K, rumor has it that he will play a considerable part in Incursion, I'm betting we get him back some time in mid to late 2019 or early 2020. This would make sense, as many are screaming for another book. I could see his return appearing in another "Book of Death" type of book, or maybe something like Bloodshot's Reborn series.

I will say it seems like (similar to Dr Mirage), there is a push to re-introduce EW, so more of him should follow.
Moose

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I didn't love it while it was coming out. I think it deserved like a solid 3.5-4/5 every issue, but reading it all in one go is quite the experience. Venditti was really playing the long game on this one and it worked, even with only 14 issues, which is a significant change from his usual 50+ issue runs with X-O and Green Lantern. He succeded at creating five stories (including Awakening) that can be picked up and read alone or read altogether, for an even better experience, which is more than can be said for most comics today.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

TheFerg714 wrote:... but reading it all in one go is quite the experience.
I'm gonna go back and do a reread of it at some point. It was pretty good, and without the monthly gaps will read better.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Vendetti laid the seeds of WRATH in the BOOK OF DEATH mini series. That mini bookends nicely with the Gill art in the final arc of WRATH, "Deal with a Devil."

AWAKENING is a nice coda to the whole series, having to do with family and responsibility. Which is really the main theme of the Eternal Warrior in general. For me, WRATH really is the definitive take on Gilad, it'll be hard to follow it up.

I'm ecstatic that the ramifications of WRATH have been followed up in the most recent two arcs of NINJA-K! Thank god Christos Gage was able to do it before he leaves instead of some hack. I was afraid Gilad would never be heard from again. The Dying One has the potential of being a villain as great as Harada or Master Darque, IMO.

I hope we revisit Gilad in 4002AD, hopefully in his own series but as part of RAI is fine too. Both would be great!

Reforming UNITY would be good too. I want my UNITY BEAST BRIGADE!

Where do you guys want to see the character go next?