Ongoing Books/series you won't read

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Ongoing Books/series you won't read

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=40851
The impressive thread on collecting Amazing Spider-Man got me thinking... I read a huge chunk at one point (mcfarlane era as a kid) and never came back and am not likely to add it to my read list with the number of new titles coming out worth my time as well...

I was wondering if there are any series that you 'expect' are pretty great, but the shear mass and effort required has and likely will keep you from reading... and for those who see sacrilege in our picks, maybe you all can convince us why we should take the plunge.. or why we're smart not to bother.

Savage Dragon
Spawn (jumped off around #100)
Judge Dredd (I picked up a couple but felt like I was missing something a decade ago now there's much more)
Conan (I feel like I could probably jump in with a specific team's run, but which one?)
Green Lantern (my brother was a huge fan--but lost interest with the popular Johns run...and that's massive on its own)

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: Ongoing Books/series you won't read

Post by jeremycoe »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=40851
The impressive thread on collecting Amazing Spider-Man got me thinking... I read a huge chunk at one point (mcfarlane era as a kid) and never came back and am not likely to add it to my read list with the number of new titles coming out worth my time as well...

I was wondering if there are any series that you 'expect' are pretty great, but the shear mass and effort required has and likely will keep you from reading... and for those who see sacrilege in our picks, maybe you all can convince us why we should take the plunge.. or why we're smart not to bother.

Savage Dragon
Judge Dredd (I picked up a couple but felt like I was missing something a decade ago now there's much more)
Conan (I feel like I could probably jump in with a specific team's run, but which one?)
Green Lantern (my brother was a huge fan--but lost interest with the popular Johns run...and that's massive on its own)
I love Savage Dragon, but I have been picking it up regularly since issue #27 or so.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

jeremycoe
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

As far as trying new to me titles that are a long ways into their run, I'm not afraid to jump in. I did so with Fantastic Four, Captain America, Batman, etc - no different now besides lack of opportunity.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Spawn, absolutely. I tried getting into this more times that I can remember but I quickly lose interest around the first 5 years or so, every time. I quit on Spawn long ago. Love the looks of the book, Capullo is an amazing artist, same as TM, but it's so uber-dark-is-cool-and-edgy, and its really a thin concept after you digest the art.
I own the trades with the first 60 something issues, will sell that one day on the cheap, for sure.

I hear great things about Hickman's FF, but it's the FF. Me no fan.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

I feel like I should read The Walking Dead. Love the show but have never read the comics. Q
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=40851

Savage Dragon
All Conan is good. Don't need much back story to enjoy.
The Dark Horse Busiek run (1-50) made my desert island list a while back.

WrathOfArmstrong

ShadowTuga wrote:Spawn, absolutely. I tried getting into this more times that I can remember but I quickly lose interest around the first 5 years or so, every time. I quit on Spawn long ago. Love the looks of the book, Capullo is an amazing artist, same as TM, but it's so uber-dark-is-cool-and-edgy, and its really a thin concept after you digest the art.
I own the trades with the first 60 something issues, will sell that one day on the cheap, for sure.

I hear great things about Hickman's FF, but it's the FF. Me no fan.

Hickman is untested in my book, I was thinking of East of West first. But Like you FF... I'll read Lemire's Terrifics first...

WrathOfArmstrong

Summydad1 wrote:All Conan is good. Don't need much back story to enjoy.
I've read a bunch of the short stories, but I have an aversion towards 'tie-ins'. I keep getting burned by things that start out in other mediums before they become comics. Perhaps that is another thread. But that's high praise being a desert island. Cary Nord's name was starting to direct me that-a-way and 50 isn't too daunting.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Red Sonja.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

None. If I want to try something, I just jump in wherever. Savage Dragon may be the closest. It's the one series I'd like to read all the way through instead of a single issues here and there.
ASM Crossover Home

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
Summydad1 wrote:All Conan is good. Don't need much back story to enjoy.
I've read a bunch of the short stories, but I have an aversion towards 'tie-ins'. I keep getting burned by things that start out in other mediums before they become comics. Perhaps that is another thread. But that's high praise being a desert island. Cary Nord's name was starting to direct me that-a-way and 50 isn't too daunting.
I'm a big fan of Conan, especially starting with the original stories by RE Howard. I have a near-complete set of the Marvel run of 275 issues (might be missing ~10 issues between 2-27) - but I have not ever *really* been tempted to try out any of the Dark Horse runs... even with Nord & Busiek on the creative team.

It's probably mainly a case of just not really feeling like diving into it yet - not knowing where to start / how to follow through any mini-series or re-numbering over however many years worth of comics they've done.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Try reading "Conan the Barbarian" 100, from 1979, to test out whether you're interested in reading a Marvel-era run. A zillion copies were printed, so it's still a cheap, easy find. If you like the Roy Thomas and John Buscema combo, grab more of their stories: they're the standard-setters, and any issue of theirs will do for a run-starter.

The DH Conan books are really good, too. I'd suggest sampling one of their five King Conan minis from 2011-2016, which began with "The Scarlet Citadel" in 2011 (Truman and Giorello): those are the best Robert Howard story adaptations I've read in comics since the old, old (and now kinda pricey) "Savage Sword of Conan" magazine days.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

i do the opposite with the walking dead read the comic dont watch the show

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Walking Dead
Spawn
Green Lanterns
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corp
The Flash
Any Transformers comic that is an adaption, tie-in, or spin-off of the Michael Bay movies.

The following I will not read as an ongoing series but I will read arcs by creators that I like and/or ideas that interest me.
Batman
The Amazing Spider-Man
Green Arrow
The Avengers
Justice League
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!