apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm
Harbinger's with an Asterisk***

Post by apacseller »

So I rolled the dice and submitted about 60 books to CBCS. Scored some 9.8 Solar #1 and 9.6 Psi-Lord Gold, 9.8 Ninjak Gold, but totally whiffed on a Solar #10 (9.4).

Most interestingly, however, was the two Harbinger #1's that I submitted, both came back with an asterisk (9.0* and 9.4*). They literally showed a grade with a checkmark and were the only books of the lot that had an asterisk, and both of them did.

I had never encountered this before, but a little research shows that they use an asterisk for books that present better than their grade (like for instance there is a bent page, or something you wouldn't be able to see in a slab). I'm sure a lot of books fall into this characterization, so I was wondering if they only use this asterisk for certain books? Does it mean these books present as a 9.8, but score lower?

Curious??

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Re: Harbinger's with an Asterisk***

Post by mkb28 »

apacseller wrote:So I rolled the dice and submitted about 60 books to CBCS. Scored some 9.8 Solar #1 and 9.6 Psi-Lord Gold, 9.8 Ninjak Gold, but totally whiffed on a Solar #10 (9.4).

Most interestingly, however, was the two Harbinger #1's that I submitted, both came back with an asterisk (9.0* and 9.4*). They literally showed a grade with a checkmark and were the only books of the lot that had an asterisk, and both of them did.

I had never encountered this before, but a little research shows that they use an asterisk for books that present better than their grade (like for instance there is a bent page, or something you wouldn't be able to see in a slab). I'm sure a lot of books fall into this characterization, so I was wondering if they only use this asterisk for certain books? Does it mean these books present as a 9.8, but score lower?

Curious??
The way I have always interpreted this is your 9.0 is graded as a 9.0, but it presents like a 9.2. I may be wrong, but it is worth a call to CBCS or send them an email. Congrats on your submission! :clap:

Mkb28

apacseller

Post by apacseller »

mkb28 wrote:
apacseller wrote:So I rolled the dice and submitted about 60 books to CBCS. Scored some 9.8 Solar #1 and 9.6 Psi-Lord Gold, 9.8 Ninjak Gold, but totally whiffed on a Solar #10 (9.4).

Curious??
The way I have always interpreted this is your 9.0 is graded as a 9.0, but it presents like a 9.2. I may be wrong, but it is worth a call to CBCS or send them an email. Congrats on your submission! :clap:

Mkb28
Thanks! Yeah, it was just peculiar in that of the thousands of CGC/CBCS books I've handled, I've never seen an asterisk, and then get two of them on the same book. On their site is mentions that they are for books that present "much better" than their grade and for defects not related to cover. One of my Harbinger's had a 1/4" spine split, so maybe they had to grade it a 9.0, even though it otherwise might have done much better. Maybe resubmit to CGC ;)

Was fun to submit, though a little nerve-wracking and probably wasn't worth it for about 25% of the books. Had four books I would have loved to hit 9.8 on, and only the Preacher #1 did (so I can't complain), but would have been great to also get a Harbinger #1 or Solar #10 too.

ZosoRocks
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Rai / Magnus / Harbingers

Post by ZosoRocks »

Curious??
Hey "seller".....I've also rcvd an asterisk/checkmark on a Rai #0 (graded CBCS 9.4).

CBCS uses this as a common feature in there grading process. The question you should ask yourself, would you rather have an asterisk applied or a lower grade?

It seems the asterisk is used for those books that grade "on the fence" between two grades. I guess they choose to apply the checkmark instead of dropping it a point.

I don't mind it.....after considering the alternatives.
ZosoRocks

-*- Enrich the mind! -*-

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

ZosoRocks wrote:

Curious??
Hey "seller".....I've also rcvd an asterisk/checkmark on a Rai #0 (graded CBCS 9.4).

CBCS uses this as a common feature in there grading process. The question you should ask yourself, would you rather have an asterisk applied or a lower grade?

It seems the asterisk is used for those books that grade "on the fence" between two grades. I guess they choose to apply the checkmark instead of dropping it a point.

If in-fact these books are "on the fence", I've gotta ask, did you send them to get pressed? I know CBCS now has a company they work with, much like CGC, where you can send the books to that company, they press/clean the book, then ship it to CBCS for grading. The pressing can help out a ton, and could bump those Harbinger #1's to a much higher grade. With that 9.4, you should clear the 9.6 with a pressing, that 9.0 could go up a grade too.

You are probably aware of this, as anyone who drops as many books as you have knows the ins and outs
Moose

apacseller

Post by apacseller »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
ZosoRocks wrote:

Curious??

If in-fact these books are "on the fence", I've gotta ask, did you send them to get pressed? I know CBCS now has a company they work with, much like CGC, where you can send the books to that company, they press/clean the book, then ship it to CBCS for grading. The pressing can help out a ton, and could bump those Harbinger #1's to a much higher grade. With that 9.4, you should clear the 9.6 with a pressing, that 9.0 could go up a grade too.

You are probably aware of this, as anyone who drops as many books as you have knows the ins and outs
Yeah, mine were pressed. But they sat in long boxes for about 20yrs in the basement, so they certainly weren't choice copies. The one had a spine-split, so don't think pressing would help that (though i hope the split didn't occur during pressing!!!).

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

The asterisk is a "but looks better" indicator.

If a CBCS is graded 9.4*, then it is technically a 9.4, but it looks like a 9.6/9.8.

9.4* would be better than 9.4.

Someone asked if you would rather have the * or a lower grade. There is no lower grade.
Nothing about a 9.4* is on the 9.2 border.

The asterisk isn't talking about a secret lower actual grade... it's talking about an announced actual grade that looks even higher.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I see this as a way to separate the mass quantities of 9.8's
grading services have backed them selves into a corner. With so meny 9.8 grades it actuelly lowers the price since they are a dime a dozen
Also if thease astrixes are better just marginally then the 9.8 you have isn't as good as a 9.8* it's a gimic to cause more trade buying and selling. :rant:
I Miss the good old days.