Divinity III - Komandar Bloodshot #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Divinity III - Komandar Bloodshot #1 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Gen Zero #5, and Savage #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr97/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Divinity III - Komandar Bloodshot #1 Discussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Loved and hated this book.

Was seriously hoping the guest appearances would last longer vs The Komander, but I guess not. Many of you know more about Livewire than I do, would something like that kill her? Guess that was the part I didn't like, would have thought her to be a better match than what she showed.

Loved the ending (last couple of pages), it probably won't, but wonder if that will play itself out in Divinity III???
Moose

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Loved and hated this book.

Was seriously hoping the guest appearances would last longer vs The Komander, but I guess not. Many of you know more about Livewire than I do, would something like that kill her? Guess that was the part I didn't like, would have thought her to be a better match than what she showed.

Loved the ending (last couple of pages), it probably won't, but wonder if that will play itself out in Divinity III???
It's possible that Livewire's abilities were practiced and perfected under Harada's teaching. Without Harada, she might still be closer to her days as the "orphan in the library" when it comes to her power.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

greg wrote:

It's possible that Livewire's abilities were practiced and perfected under Harada's teaching. Without Harada, she might still be closer to her days as the "orphan in the library" when it comes to her power.
Great point! You are probably right, not as refined, untaught
Moose

Michael_Ayer
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Michael_Ayer »

Plus. In this "reality" Livewire never bonded with Shanhara therefore her powers were never expanded as they were in the normal timeline.
I wrote a Shadowman Story for KINDLE WORLDS.

Check it out: http://amzn.com/B00IMFHWDS

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
greg wrote:

Great point! You are probably right, not as refined, untaught
Also, in the normal universe Livewire got a power set boost by bonding with Shanhara... It's not a certainty that she has done that in the Stalinverse...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watchtower
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Watchtower »

So here's the thing about Lemire's writing for me: When he's focused exclusively on Ray Garrison, he's infuriating as hell. Bloodshot was left in a pretty good state following Armor Hunters, and Lemire turned him into a whinging dunce with a terrible romance with Kay that has only served to fuel a better-but-still-subpar romance with Magic. When he focuses on anything else, however, he can actually be a solid writer. The last issue of Bloodshot: Reborn (focused on the other Bloodshots) was good, the 4001 Bloodshot tie-in ("Bloodshot" is actually the nanites) was really damn good, and this issue (AU Ray) is pretty decent.

Sorry for the rant, but that's really the most I can say on it. Beyond that, it's a tad disappointing Livewire was reduced to a living weapon, the inclusion of good-guy Kozol and Rampage was pretty interesting, and I'm curious if we'll see other characters also have these "flashes" to their original selves the way Bloodshot did.

As for the Red Legend, I liked it overall. Having her super-strength be directly tied to her own motivation is a nice and different approach, but it seems a bit low-end, especially for a character so tied to the mythical Firebird. I'm curious to see what else she has in store, especially if it involves that bird that's flying with her.

The bigger thing, however, is how The Red Legend's kept around post-Stalinverse. It'd be totally cool, at least to me, if Divinity restores everything to normal and she's somehow dragged into the regular universe unchanged. Could be very interesting, I'd think.

ironherc
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

It's a fine one shot but not essential which is good since we don't miss anything in the main book. Sucks seeing livewire die like that, but would make sense since we do not know how trained she was in this universe. I can't say much except that it was a very action packed story with great art. Red legend's short story was interesting and what i really wanted to read. Just wished it was a bit longer but it's good that we keep it vague, we do not know where she came from but it may be tied to the river she was found. Her source of power is unique and I like how motivation is what she requires to be that strong. She seems like a good person who wants to take care of her mother and is not brainwashed like the other valiant heroes, which could help her transition from stalinverse to the regular valiant universe work. Or maybe we will get a similar red legend but with a few changes since you know, not part of commie world

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Really good one shot. VEI has a knack of making the 'supporting' books to events really enjoyable (with Shadowman 4001ad the only dud that springs to mind).

The fact that Bloodshot 'recognised' Magic and spared her life indicates that this reality is some sort of illusion which can be broken. I'm linking this with the fact that Ninjak is conscious that this world is not 'real'.

I still find Crain's art difficult to make out in some panels which is a slight drawback as it stops the flow of reading.

Back up story about the Red Legend was decent but I'm hoping we don't stray too closely into Wonder Woman rip off territory with this new character. :hope:

Very good one shot 4/5 :thumb:
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:49:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

I dug it, another hint that this world is really an illusion, or at the very least it hasn't completely overwritten the old reality, like tics in the Matrix. Seems like Divinity's powers are not really all encompassing. I am curious to see how they continue the story of Red Legend when things return to "normal".

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

ironherc wrote:...we do not know where she came from but it may be tied to the river she was found.
Her mother told her that the river came from "the other side". I posit that she is someone from our world somehow drawn into this mindscape, and that's what allows her to return to it when it all ends.

Good story, great art throughout. I don't mind that Livewire and Rampage came and went quickly, Stalinverse is kind of like Marvel's "What If..." title. It's a chance to see characters in an otherworldly setting; it's not permanent.

A pointless nitpic, but an ICBM (even without a warhead) flown into the mountain countryside would be freaking atomized. No one would be stepping out of it. But, ya know, comics.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

QUARTZ wrote:I dug it, another hint that this world is really an illusion, or at the very least it hasn't completely overwritten the old reality, like tics in the Matrix.
I really liked that little element too. :thumb:

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

jmatt wrote:
ironherc wrote:...we do not know where she came from but it may be tied to the river she was found.
Her mother told her that the river came from "the other side". I posit that she is someone from our world somehow drawn into this mindscape, and that's what allows her to return to it when it all ends.
I was thinking it meant the Deadside. Like whatever this Stalinverse version of the Valiant Universe is doing with the Deadside, different from the real VU, has brought this person into the world. When the VU inevitably shifts back, RL will have the added twist of existing in a world where she shouldn't.
grendeljd wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:I dug it, another hint that this world is really an illusion, or at the very least it hasn't completely overwritten the old reality, like tics in the Matrix.
I really liked that little element too. :thumb:
Agreed. Another example backing up VEIs statements that this isn't an alternate universe, this is THE VU. And it is proving Abram's point to Myshka in Div II about not being able to change reality, iirc.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Keith wrote:I was thinking it meant the Deadside.
I thought so as well, originally. But I see no evidence of a Deadside element here, I think it makes more sense that the other side is our reality, imo.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Great issue. I really dig this take on the characters, and the story was very cool and showed how bada** Bloodshot is.
"Heads up, you commie m***********" (or something like that) was so 90s BAD that it was actually Good. I really laughed out loud, hope it was Valiant's intention. :lol:
Can't wait for Aric's tale. :thumb:

Oh, right- Red Legend. Cool stuff, but I have no idea what the heck she is. Magic lady? :?
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo