4001 AD Issue 1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval
4001 AD Issue 1 Discussion

Post by Psiot X »

The first couple of pages serve as an intro for new readers filling in the basics of the backstory. The digital edition makes them appear to be printed on old fashioned papyrus scroll type paper. They keep a very Asian style with line drawings for it. I wanted to quibble over the description of RAI as a symbol of hope rather than as a symbol of the state.

The art and color pallet will be familiar to regular readers. It's all good to me. After a farewell to some hunters, the action picks up with parts of New Japan being jettisoned to earth as Father finds he can't contain the virus and control the station. Lula is on a guilt trip and visiting her parents is no help.

Man, Gilad has an awesome look in this comic. I really like it better than the classic. The black and red with the white hair and beard, lean and mean build, is fearsome.

I didn't know what to make of the armor. Giant knight armor from the XO-War? It's a mecha. It's all squat and bulky but huge. Blue and gold? Maybe not my favorite color pairing and I think it has kept me from XO-Man O War now that I think about it. But don't mistake me. It's an interesting unit.

Somehow, I thought the secret weapon might have been Bloodshot nanites.

I did not expect Father to see it and RAI inbound on New Japan only to use it as excuse murder the entire human council.

Okay, WTF happened? Did father split New Japan into three sections and unleash a giant metal dragon snake to fight with Man O War Knight? Or did this completely mess with me?

Then it ends and leaves me with a ton of ads for other books in the event...

It's kind of like a big anime feature that ends a few pages too soon. It's not bad but it will take issue 2 to make it great or break it. I am having some trouble getting around my expectations here in that they have went into unexpected territory. It doesn't read or feel like the usual Valiant offering, this is a mecha anime.

What are you thinking and where are you at with it?

krylox
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: 4001 AD Issue 1 Discussion

Post by krylox »

I liked it! Haven't read Rai since the first paperback and was once more impressed with Clayton Crain's hyperdetailed, digital art. Such a good fit for this futuristic story. The plot itself... well, not that much happened, yet. It read very much like a set-up issue. But it did a good job introducing me (and other new or relapsed readers) to the whole Father vs Rai thing, that is going on. The pacing was nice and I can't wait for Rai #13 in two weeks to come out.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

I liked it, but agree that it was primarily setup (no surprise) and a new reader friendly intro (again, no surprise).

I really liked the initial image of the X-O Knight all dormant in it's mountain hideaway. The children playing around it gave a great sense of scale as to just how huge this thing is, and then just how big New Japan/Dragon is in comparison. I am most intrigued to read the X-O issue next week and get more background on the War of the X-O Manowars!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Psiot X

Post by Psiot X »

Yeah, The pacing was good krylox. Now that I think about it I feel they were setting Lula up for next issue.

You know Keith, somehow I was amused at the kids giving Gilad so much crap as Scar Face. Can't you just see him telling those kids to get off my lawn? :) I really want to read the XO-War 4001 AD issue too in order to understand more of what I am seeing.

But man I have spent so much on Valiant this month. I feel like I am junkie. lol.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I enjoyed it. No gripes other than some times crains art makes it hard to know what's going one. And I may be seeing things that aren't there or people from another time. But I'm hopeful that the guy shooting the arrow in the beginning could easily be a new Turok type of character. I'm probably just being hopeful as I saw all the dinosaurs burn up and most likely die. Still hopeful. No golden bubbles to save everyone this time.
O Momo where art tho. Rai's arm is blue scales now like the fish eye police guess its healing.
Pretty much played out like I thought it would.
Last edited by nonplayer on Wed May 04, 2016 1:25:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Miss the good old days.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Having read the Rai issue and the XO one shot, trust me, everything is coming together. THe backgrounds on the characters add a lot to the story and will make you want to re-read the first issue with them in light.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Psiot X wrote:Okay, WTF happened? Did father split New Japan into three sections and unleash a giant metal dragon snake to fight with Man O War Knight? Or did this completely mess with me?
Yes, that's definitely a concept from the 1990s Rai.

This is a "fan creation" (series of alternative covers) that I did a few years ago, using an image from the interior of Magnus #8/Rai (mini) #1, which features the Japan "dragon" in orbit.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

LOVED IT! Felt like old school VH1 to me for some reason.

That hunter at the beginning wasn't savage, but he was hunting dragons! I'd love to see this guy survive the plummet - the 'return' to earth! :)

greg

Post by greg »

nonplayer wrote:I'm hopeful that the guy shooting the arrow in the beginning could easily be a new Turok type of character.
I interpreted that exactly opposite. :lol:

Valiant shows us a Turok-type character, then disintegrates him in outer space. In other words... Valiant Turok? Forget it. :P

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Loved the issue. I'm glad I reread my Rai TPB's first. Kudos to VEI for making this a good jumping on point without divulging the fun details from Rai 1-12.

Gilad looked pretty awesome. He did have a very Eastwood get-off-my-lawn comportment about him with the kids. His costume looked really cool.

Lots of action, love the art, and a solid tease for issue 2. Can't ask for more. Excellent work VEI!
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Psiot X wrote:But man I have spent so much on Valiant this month. I feel like I am junkie. lol.
But yet you resist getting the Fall of Ninjak issue... some junkie you turned out to be. :kidaround:
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

My biggest takeaway from the issue was a possible clue to who Father is. He refers to the armor Rai uses as a "nuclear abomination" that he "dares bring to New Japan".
We all know that Harada has an aversion to nuclear weapons...

JCP

Post by JCP »

Blood of Heroes wrote:My biggest takeaway from the issue was a possible clue to who Father is. He refers to the armor Rai uses as a "nuclear abomination" that he "dares bring to New Japan".

Solid catch. :thumb:

greg

Post by greg »

JCP wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:My biggest takeaway from the issue was a possible clue to who Father is. He refers to the armor Rai uses as a "nuclear abomination" that he "dares bring to New Japan".
If we're going with Harada clues... Rai is first seen (back in Rai #1) with the pink petal tree at the top of New Japan.
Harada takes Peter to the "idealized garden of his youth" in Harbinger #1. Pink petal trees.

JCP

Post by JCP »

greg wrote:
JCP wrote:
If we're going with Harada clues... Rai is first seen (back in Rai #1) with the pink petal tree at the top of New Japan.
Harada takes Peter to the "idealized garden of his youth" in Harbinger #1. Pink petal trees.
Wow. :thumb:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Fantastic kick-off! Love the artwork like crazy but yeah, when X-O Bot meets up with New Japan it's hard to tell what's going on for a few panels. And if I could have traded splash panels, give me one with a nice big look at the X-O Bot instead of one of the others.

This is the first mention of the X-O Wars, yes? Wish the name was a little more nuanced and literary, like The X-O Interregnum or The Third Reconciliation of the Last of the McKetrick Supplicants.

Can't wait for the rest of this! :clap:

Brapbrap
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

this was good but i feel like valiant always gives away too much about their events, literally every teaser image showed the New Japan dragon and Rai in the X-O armor.

i think it was really good at introducing people to the story though, obviously its been a while since rai #12 came out and i had forgotten a few major parts of the plot so i liked how reader-friendly the comic was, it didn't expect me to remember what was happening and explained everything to new readers

krylox
Favorite character: Armstrong

Post by krylox »

Some good points raisend about the Harada-Father connection! While I was reading I was actually thinking about how the "benevolent dictator vs fighters for freedom/democracy" is such a big topic in different Valiant comics... haha.

But I would actually prefer Harada's exit in Harbinger BOD to be final.

Psiot X

Post by Psiot X »

I am actually wondering about the connection between live wire fueling Father's control of New Japan and the actual character Live Wire.
Keith wrote:
Psiot X wrote:But man I have spent so much on Valiant this month. I feel like I am junkie. lol.
But yet you resist getting the Fall of Ninjak issue... some junkie you turned out to be. :kidaround:
May 25. Collection 3 Ninjak. My mother's birthday.

I have enough to meet both needs. If I buy the fall of Ninjak then I don't. If I skimp on mom's birthday this thread will suddenly be about the fall of me... :)
greg wrote:
nonplayer wrote:I'm hopeful that the guy shooting the arrow in the beginning could easily be a new Turok type of character.
I interpreted that exactly opposite. :lol:

Valiant shows us a Turok-type character, then disintegrates him in outer space. In other words... Valiant Turok? Forget it. :P
LOL. Is the glass half full or half empty?

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

greg wrote:
JCP wrote:
"pink petal tree" I gotta curb this before it sticks. They call them cherry blossoms and the tree is an oriental cherry it doesn't actually produce fruit.
I Miss the good old days.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

greg wrote:
JCP wrote:
If we're looking for clues tying to Harada, then how about the yellow jacket that someone gives to Lula that harkens back to the yellow hoodie worn by Peter?

Catching back up, it's great that this issue was so new reader-friendly. (Also, thanks Psiot X for the thread shout-out about Comixology's Rai sale. I had only read the Vol 1 TPB so that was really helpful towards helping me get caught up).

Crain's art, amazing as always. LOVED the shot and scale of the X-O mecha resting under the mountain. Seeing this mecha in action makes me want to learn more about this X-O war.

Is this Gilad the same one from the Eternal Emperor arc or a different version?

Some great build-up here, looking forward to what's next.

greg

Post by greg »

String wrote:Is this Gilad the same one from the Eternal Emperor arc or a different version?
If I'm reading it right, it's the same one. This likely takes place after the Eternal Emperor arc.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Japan as the Dragon is great. One of my very favorite single images from VH1 is Japan Dragon.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I loved this although it felt like Rai 13 (and I loved 1-12 of Rai). It does make me wonder where the real Rai 13 is heading.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

depluto wrote:I loved this although it felt like Rai 13 (and I loved 1-12 of Rai). It does make me wonder where the real Rai 13 is heading.
I think that arc will be exploring some of the past RAI incarnations? Just a guess based on the CAFU cover art (and possibly mentioned in a solicit somewhere).
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;