Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: July 2015
Favorite character: Ninjak and Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
New to these forums and to Valiant Comics

Post by JasonTodd428 »

Hi guys! My name is Jay and I'm glad to meet all of you.

I discovered Valiant Comics last summer when I decided to give Ninjak a read because it sounded like it was a book that was right up my alley and I was looking to expand my comic book reading to other companies. I was becoming fairly disillusioned with Marvel at the time so I was looking for something that would reignite my interest in comics and would make me feel like I did about them when I was a kid. My interest in the company and universe pretty much just snowballed from reading that one issue of Ninjak and feeling like I was rediscovering what I loved about comics as a kid and what I had been missing when reading stuff from the big two.

I've spend the last several months playing the catch up game and have pretty much enjoyed every title Valiant puts out. Rai is my favorite one of the lot though followed closely by Faith, Ninjak and Bloodshot Reborn. Overall I have to say I like how cohesive the Valiant U. is so far and I've found myself far happier with the books here then elsewhere as well.
"The villagers told me of a legend. A warrior who lived here long ago. A warrior who dared stand against Father. The legend has been passed down from generation to generation. A warrior much like myself...who wielded a sword...but was struck down where he stood. Nothing was left of him but his sword. And where he stood, this tree grew." Rai

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: New to these forums and to Valiant Comics

Post by nonplayer »

Good work buddy welcome to the club. Nice quote btw.
I Miss the good old days.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome, Jason. Glad you've taken an interest in the new Valiant. You may want to give some of the older Valiant issues a try as well.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Welcome aboard!

JasonTodd428

Post by JasonTodd428 »

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Daniel Jackson wrote:Welcome, Jason. Glad you've taken an interest in the new Valiant. You may want to give some of the older Valiant issues a try as well.
So what books would you recommend in the older Valiant? I'm game to try an of the older stuff.
"The villagers told me of a legend. A warrior who lived here long ago. A warrior who dared stand against Father. The legend has been passed down from generation to generation. A warrior much like myself...who wielded a sword...but was struck down where he stood. Nothing was left of him but his sword. And where he stood, this tree grew." Rai

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Welcome! :clap:

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Hey Jay! It's ksbord from the CBR boards. Great to see you over here!

City of the Cardinals, eh? Am I talking to a fellow St. Louisian?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

JasonTodd428

Post by JasonTodd428 »

Keith wrote:Hey Jay! It's ksbord from the CBR boards. Great to see you over here!

Hey! Nice to see you too and you'd be correct. StL born and raised in fact though I now live several hours away.

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

JasonTodd428 wrote:
Keith wrote:Hey Jay! It's ksbord from the CBR boards. Great to see you over here!

Hey! Nice to see you too and you'd be correct. StL born and raised in fact though I now live several hours away.
Very cool! I'm originally from Chicago, relocated to StL in 2007. And, yes, LETS GO BLUES!
JasonTodd428 wrote: So what books would you recommend in the older Valiant? I'm game to try an of the older stuff.
I think the general consensus would be anything before and including the Unity crossover, though the specific issue numbers I don't have at hand. Basically early issues of Magnus, Solar, Rai, X-O, Harbinger, Shadowman, A&A, and Eternal Warrior. And definitely Rai #0.

After that, I'd say the opinions will be more subjective. I loved the Malev War storyline that ran forever in Magnus and Rai & the Future Force. Shadowman was consistently strong through its whole run.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Welcome!!!

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

Welcome :thumb:

JasonTodd428

Post by JasonTodd428 »

Sorry for the lack of reply. I threw out my back on Monday and have been laid up recovering. I really hate back pain and laying around being unable to do much makes me antsy. It did give me the chance to read a bunch of comics though so in that way it was good.
Keith wrote: Very cool! I'm originally from Chicago, relocated to StL in 2007. And, yes, LETS GO BLUES!
That's cool. And of course LET'S GO BLUES! I'm more of a Cards fan myself though. My dad was a big Cards fan and we used to go to games all time when I was a kid. He was also largely responsible for my interest in comics from a young age.
keith wrote: I think the general consensus would be anything before and including the Unity crossover, though the specific issue numbers I don't have at hand. Basically early issues of Magnus, Solar, Rai, X-O, Harbinger, Shadowman, A&A, and Eternal Warrior. And definitely Rai #0.

After that, I'd say the opinions will be more subjective. I loved the Malev War storyline that ran forever in Magnus and Rai & the Future Force. Shadowman was consistently strong through its whole run.
I'll have to give those a look now that I've pretty much caught up to the moment on more recent Valiant titles. I'm still trying to get through X-O though. I'm starting to think that one is just not for me actually so I may let it go for now. I also haven't caught up with Imperium or Wrath as yet either.

@everyone else: Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be here.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome!

I didn't realize how burnt out I was on Marvel or DC books until Valiant came back in 2012. I had already been reading more creator-owned Image or Dark Horse series at the time over the Big Two stuff, but once Valiant re-launched it was like re-connecting with an old friend, and I was able to drop out any Marvel or DC comics I was still reading to make room for the full VEI output.

It was tougher to completely drop Marvel as I had really grown up reading their universe of characters, but ultimately their current books just weren't as appealing to me anymore anyway - I remain a fan of the stuff I grew up with but leave it at that.

Valiant provides an awesome scratch to my itch for a well written superhero type universe. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;