Poll question on anniversary issues and annuals!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Should anniversary issues and annuals continue to have non-continuity back up stories?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:41:36 pm

YES - the goofier the better!
7%
NO - I just want longer stories or at least 'in continuity' serious back up stories
63%
MEH - don't mind either way!
30%

Total votes: 43

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Poll question on anniversary issues and annuals!

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I'm wondering if people actually enjoy or even prefer the goofy/comedy back-up stories which VEI has put in all of the anniversary issues and the recent Bloodshot Reborn annual? Take the poll and let me know!

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Re: Poll question on anniversary issues and annuals!

Post by mkb28 »

Nope, don't care for the parody, goofy issues at all.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

i'd rather see these anniversary issues and annuals have longer main stories with serious backup stories that are in-continuity.

There is probably a place and time for goofiness (and some of the stuff is funny and enjoyable) but an issue number 25 should be an insightful character story or a game changing story that impacts these characters that we care about in a significant, long term way ....and less of a goofy celebration that feels out of place. The art by Jay as the exception because those are too cool and fun. 8-)

I think for the most part VEI have done a good job with these special issues but I think there were a few that felt like a letdown. Harbinger #25 and Bloodshot #25 I think were the best 2 anniversary issues ..with Unity #25 the worst.

Bring back Quantum and Woody and keep most of the goofy storytelling in those comics.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

+1

The goofy stuff is annoying.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Good point about the Q&W readers. It seems that comedy stories are quite a niche taste and I understand that some people do enjoy this kind of story, but it's not for the majority. If this is the case then why do VEI continue to give us these goofy stories in EVERY anniversary and now the annuals? The Bloodshor Reborn annual had a 9 page nonsense story 'War of infinite Squirts' by and an 8 page story 'Hell cloud awaits' which I've no idea what it was about. This amount of parody seems excessive in a book like Bloodshot, as you don't buy that kind of book for goofy stuff? :?

I say leave that genre to the Q&W books which caters for readers with that taste.

Magnus9178
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz

Post by Magnus9178 »

I'm definitely indifferent. I enjoy the 1-2 page silly stuff especially the Rafer Robers stuff. But in general I would like the majority of the content to remain in some sort of continuity. The only thing I object is if a large portion of the book is out of continuity; they can save they kind of thing when they publish Fred Hembeck kills the Valiant Universe. :D

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Magnus9178 wrote:I'm definitely indifferent. I enjoy the 1-2 page silly stuff especially the Rafer Robers stuff. But in general I would like the majority of the content to remain in some sort of continuity. The only thing I object is if a large portion of the book is out of continuity; they can save they kind of thing when they publish Fred Hembeck kills the Valiant Universe. :D
How about the 9 page and 8 page non continuity stuff in Bloodshot Reborn annual?

Watchtower
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Watchtower »

Voted indifferent.

The poll is a tad rigged, as it implies that comedy stories are inherently bad, and I fundamentally disagree. If the comedy's good, then I'm fine with it.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Watchtower wrote:Voted indifferent.

The poll is a tad rigged, as it implies that comedy stories are inherently bad, and I fundamentally disagree. If the comedy's good, then I'm fine with it.
It's not meant to be rigged. I guess fundamentally it's about non continuity comedy stories and whether you prefer that over serious in-continuity stories for your dollars? Sounds like you're happy as long as the quality is good.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I could do without them altogether. I think maybe this kind of stuff would work better as exclusive content for a really nice hardcover compilation.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I like to think I have a pretty well rounded sense of humour in general, and I don't implicitly have a problem with humour for its own sake in a few short stories here and there (or in books specifically intended entirely as such like Q&W) - but personally, I prefer to read sharp or witty humour that flows naturally out of a given scenario in a series that isn't otherwise written as just a slap-stick/silly/zany/comedic for its own sake.

In other words, books like Quantum & Woody or the current A&A are good for what they are trying to be, but I'm just not personally a fan of that kind of material.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

mkb28 wrote:Nope, don't care for the parody, goofy issues at all.

+1
i'd rather see these anniversary issues and annuals have longer main stories with serious backup stories that are in-continuity.
+1
#StayValiant

THEWGZK
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by THEWGZK »

I will vote in this poll, but am deeply saddened by the lack of ice cream choice.

Sheikhaljabal
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Van Lente
Favorite artist: Crain

Post by Sheikhaljabal »

No more than six pages at the end of the serious stuff - if really needed.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

It's not meant to be rigged. I guess fundamentally it's about non continuity comedy stories and whether you prefer that over serious in-continuity stories for your dollars? Sounds like you're happy as long as the quality is good.
I'm not that happy with the poll options either tbh, because I can't really vote for "I'm definitely happy to see non-canon stories in these issues, but I'd rather they weren't 'goofy' stories". Could've probably done with a 'non-continuity serious stories' option too.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Watchtower
Favorite character: Ninjak

Post by Watchtower »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

I'm not that happy with the poll options either tbh, because I can't really vote for "I'm definitely happy to see non-canon stories in these issues, but I'd rather they weren't 'goofy' stories". Could've probably done with a 'non-continuity serious stories' option too.
I think the implication is that "serious" stories would fit in more and thus be more likely to be canon, while "goofy" stories would more likely not.

The issue there is that A&A and Q&W can both be real damn silly but can still fit in enough to be canon. And then you have the first story in Bloodshot Annual, which starts as a goofy Friday the 13th parody only to gut-punch you with Jacob's backstory.

But that said, Dallow pretty much hit the nail on the head about me. I've got opinions and suggestions on what they should be doing, but for the most part I'm fine with whatever they do so long as it's a good read.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Watchtower wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

I think the implication is that "serious" stories would fit in more and thus be more likely to be canon, while "goofy" stories would more likely not.

The issue there is that A&A and Q&W can both be real damn silly but can still fit in enough to be canon. And then you have the first story in Bloodshot Annual, which starts as a goofy Friday the 13th parody only to gut-punch you with Jacob's backstory.

But that said, Dallow pretty much hit the nail on the head about me. I've got opinions and suggestions on what they should be doing, but for the most part I'm fine with whatever they do so long as it's a good read.
Yes I think where I was coming from with this is the 'goofy' non continuity stories which appear in the anniversary issues and now annuals. As Watchtower states, Q&A, A&A and Timewalker can all be in continuity goofiness, BUT, and this is my issue, when you buy those books that's the tone of book you presumably want and can can expect. When I buy Bloodshot, XO, Unity etc I don't expect goofy stories. It's like, if a person buys a heavy metal album which they get home and realise there's a bunch of reggae songs mixed in between they're possibly not going to be too happy! :lol: It's different genres.

I swapped tweets with Dinesh, and he thinks (I'm sure based on feedback) that fans enjoy these kind of back up stories, however, I'm not people always tell the boss their real views?

I'd be ok with non-canon serious stories (same as Shadowman 99) however that might become confusing over time as to what's in/out of continuity. Perhaps if it was heavily labelled as 'elseworlds'?

I felt the Bloodshot Reborn was excessive with 17 pages of silly stories. The 1 page Jordan/Roberts stuff was acceptable but then the Owly stories started expanding and now it's increasing more. facepalm

DuncanBlieu
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by DuncanBlieu »

I was just having this conversation with my wife this morning, and we both seem to be on the same page that annuals should be used to explore different ways of telling a story about the title'e character(s). I personally enjoyed every story in the Bloodshot Reborn Annual. It allowed for a break from the seriousness to see how else the character can be used. With having four stories in the BSR annual, we got a healthy mix of seemingly in-canon backstory and fun, a-bit-out-there stories. They're never going to satisfy everyone with each story and that's the inherent pit-traps with anthology style books. This way they can give a little something for everyone. So while I voted yes in the poll, I really just like to see a mix of story types used in these issues and not just goofy stories.

As far as anniversary issues go, I have enjoyed the #25's, but I can see how those seem a little out of place. They can be great milestones that are easy to build up suspense for, but we need more titles going beyond 25 issues for that to really matter. Maybe publishers are steering away from long issue runs due to the expected negative sales trends as a title's numbering increases. I think X-O #50 will really give people what they want out of an anniversary issue.

TLDR, I trust that Valiant will put out a good story, no matter the style or the issue. I've liked what they have done so far.

Stay Valiant!