Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
Re: Which comic is undervalued?

Post by maraxusofkeld »

IMJ wrote:Strange Tales #135.
-1st Hydra
-1st Hydra Agents
-1st S.H.I.E.L.D.
-1st Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
-1st Helicarrier
-1st Flying Car
-1st Nick Fury as Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.
-1st Life Model Decoys (L.M.D.)
-1st Nick Fury story in Strange Tales (replacing the Human Torch)

This is a huge book for Marvel continuity surrounding Marvel's Earth-grounded stories, and basically each of these IP's are now a household name after being embraced in such a prolific manner throughout the MCU. Current aggregate guide value as VF is about $500.00, yet it's listed for less on eBay, and I see it under guide in stores now and again as well. When this generation's young movie watchers embrace the Silver Age back-issue market, we could be looking at a long term key sought after hobby-wide the likes of Iron Man #55.

Without Strange Tales #135, there would be an unfathomable chunk missing from the Marvel Universe. This book is truly an undervalued and under-appreciated Silver Age key.

My small side pick would be The Avengers #85, the 1st appearance of the Squadron Supreme. This is a key book to the wider Avengers Universe, as well as Marvel Cosmic, and also we might see some spillover interest from the hype surrounding DC's Justice League as well.

I agree with the importance of ST 135, but I believe that Nick Fury in the Avengers is more like the Nick Fury from the Ultimates, limiting the value of the Strange Tales.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Which comic is undervalued?

Post by Elveen »

maraxusofkeld wrote:
IMJ wrote:Strange Tales #135.
-1st Hydra
-1st Hydra Agents
-1st S.H.I.E.L.D.
-1st Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
-1st Helicarrier
-1st Flying Car
-1st Nick Fury as Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.
-1st Life Model Decoys (L.M.D.)
-1st Nick Fury story in Strange Tales (replacing the Human Torch)

This is a huge book for Marvel continuity surrounding Marvel's Earth-grounded stories, and basically each of these IP's are now a household name after being embraced in such a prolific manner throughout the MCU. Current aggregate guide value as VF is about $500.00, yet it's listed for less on eBay, and I see it under guide in stores now and again as well. When this generation's young movie watchers embrace the Silver Age back-issue market, we could be looking at a long term key sought after hobby-wide the likes of Iron Man #55.

Without Strange Tales #135, there would be an unfathomable chunk missing from the Marvel Universe. This book is truly an undervalued and under-appreciated Silver Age key.

My small side pick would be The Avengers #85, the 1st appearance of the Squadron Supreme. This is a key book to the wider Avengers Universe, as well as Marvel Cosmic, and also we might see some spillover interest from the hype surrounding DC's Justice League as well.

I agree with the importance of ST 135, but I believe that Nick Fury in the Avengers is more like the Nick Fury from the Ultimates, limiting the value of the Strange Tales.

I wonder if at some time "Nick Fury" will be replaced by Sam Jack Nick Fury? My kids have no idea about the non-SLJ Nick Fury.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by IMJ »

Action Comics #544
-1st Luthor's Warsuit
-1st LL JR.

Superman can be a walking paradox for comic fans - the world's most important superhero regularly seems to be the world's least interesting. Often though, I blame lack of creativity for this - Superman is only as ho-hum as any given creative team writes him. With that said, it is only so often throughout the character's 78 year publication history that something truly memorable happens in a Superman book. In this case, the 80's era of cartoon camp strikes in the form of a loud, green battle suit (without a helmet nonetheless), and a long lasting threat to the Man of Steel is refreshed and in many ways reborn.

Action Comics #544 is a rare example of a relevant Superman book, given that it reinvents Superman's arch nemesis from a ranting hater into a formidable physical and psychological threat against the Man of Steel. Of course, the awkward suit that features no melon-protection might've gone the way of DC Superpowers toys once the 80's generation of toy buyers dried up. But instead, this incarnation has had staying power, meaning that Action Comics #544 belongs in any collector's Bring On The Bad Guys first appearance collection. This version of Luthor was given new relevance in the popular Superman Batman series of 2003, and has been seen several times in DC Animation. Furthermore, toy stores will be hosting Luthor's Battlesuit amongst the Dawn of Justice merchandise, perhaps indicating that archetype of the character has more fan affection than previous versions in a purple smoking jacket and self abusing tendencies would have.

Action #544 is an undervalued gem at an aggregated guide value between 7 and 15 bucks in acceptable back-issue-bin condition. Luthor is iconic in Superman and DC Universe canon, and this version of the character creates a new, viable, and clearly recurring threat for the Man of Steel. Action Comics #544 is where the physical battle between the two DC icons really started.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

That's interesting stuff, IMJ. I noticed on eBay it's also being touted as the first new Brainiac.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

IMJ wrote:Action Comics #544
-1st Luthor's Warsuit
-1st LL JR.

Superman can be a walking paradox for comic fans - the world's most important superhero regularly seems to be the world's least interesting. Often though, I blame lack of creativity for this - Superman is only as ho-hum as any given creative team writes him. With that said, it is only so often throughout the character's 78 year publication history that something truly memorable happens in a Superman book. In this case, the 80's era of cartoon camp strikes in the form of a loud, green battle suit (without a helmet nonetheless), and a long lasting threat to the Man of Steel is refreshed and in many ways reborn.

Action Comics #544 is a rare example of a relevant Superman book, given that it reinvents Superman's arch nemesis from a ranting hater into a formidable physical and psychological threat against the Man of Steel. Of course, the awkward suit that features no melon-protection might've gone the way of DC Superpowers toys once the 80's generation of toy buyers dried up. But instead, this incarnation has had staying power, meaning that Action Comics #544 belongs in any collector's Bring On The Bad Guys first appearance collection. This version of Luthor was given new relevance in the popular Superman Batman series of 2003, and has been seen several times in DC Animation. Furthermore, toy stores will be hosting Luthor's Battlesuit amongst the Dawn of Justice merchandise, perhaps indicating that archetype of the character has more fan affection than previous versions in a purple smoking jacket and self abusing tendencies would have.

Action #544 is an undervalued gem at an aggregated guide value between 7 and 15 bucks in acceptable back-issue-bin condition. Luthor is iconic in Superman and DC Universe canon, and this version of the character creates a new, viable, and clearly recurring threat for the Man of Steel. Action Comics #544 is where the physical battle between the two DC icons really started.
It's been a while since something caught me off guard like this post. Thanks for the knowledge, I truly appreciate it because my DC is pretty weak.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Adventures of Superman #465
-1st Hank Henshaw

Another first for a DC Villain, but in this case a surprisingly long lasting character born out of what was intended to be a DC parody of Marvel's Fantastic Four. Hank Henshaw was trapped aboard a LexCorp spaceflight with his family when a radiation storm strikes, granting the crew powers. In this case, the rest of Henshaw's crew becomes plot-fodder, but Henshaw himself goes on to gain powers over machinery which first manifest violently in Adventures of Superman #468. Superman, of course, takes care of the bad guy, but legendary Superman scribe Dan Jurgens has a longer outlook for Henshaw during the writer's epic "Death & Return of Superman" story - quite possibly the most widely known and talked about Superman tale ever.

And, so is born Hank Henshaw, Cyborg Superman, a character who otherwise would be a throwaway artifact from an obscure story in the early 90's Adventures book. This character's relevance didn't end there however, as it was the Cyborg Superman, in league with DC powerhouse villain Mongul, who was responsible for the destruction of Coast City - the primary element which catalylzed Hal Jordan's fall to Parallax in the Emerald Twilight storyline. This took place in the relatively sought-after key crossover issue, Green Lantern #46. With this story, Hank Henshaw cemented his place as a larger canon DCU villain, and was later utilized in Geoff John's wildly popular Sinestro Corps War as a galactic threat and problem for the Green Lantern Corps.

Adventures of Superman #465 is a Superman, Green Lantern and greater DCU key as it features the first appearance of Hank Henshaw, DC's Cyborg Superman. This character, an otherwise generic Superman plot device, has moved through the DCU as a key player involved in some of the biggest events in DCs last 23 years of publication. The Reign of the Supermen, the destruction of Coast City, catalyzing Emerald Twilight, and fanning the flames of the Sinestro Corps war. Also, don't forget that Hank Henshaw will soon be a tween-household name as the character is appearing, and clearly being developed, in the well received Supergirl T.V. series. And, as a side nugget of craziness, this DCU parody of Marvel's Fantastic Four once tried to convince Superman that Marvel's Galactus was responsible for destroying Krypton. Go Figure. Adventures of Superman #465 belongs in every collector's Superman, Green Lantern, DCU key, or Bring on the Bad Guys first appearance collection, and can be had very cheaply at an undervalued asking price of 3 to 6 bucks from the back issue bins.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Great write up. I actually just sold one of these books 2 weeks ago at a show.

an up an comer I think.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Industry Mainstays 1st Works
1st Jim Lee Published Work & 1st Mainstream Work
1st John Romita Jr. Published Work & 1st Defining Character Book
1st Frank Miller Published Work & 1st Defining Character Book
1st Greg Capullo Published Work

The hobby we enjoy couldn't exist without talented artists grinding their pencils into paper every day as masters of their craft. Everyone has a favorite pencil whipper, but some artists, unarguably rise to the top as vibrant creators, industry leaders, or simply talented people whose lines on paper are captivating in a manner that surpasses their peers. That means that the books highlighted here are undervalued gems in that they feature the first published works of some of the more prolific creators in comics. These guys are more than industry linesmen, and their first published works are the comics equivalent of a Cooperstown players rookie card for baseball collectors.

Noticeably undervalued is Jim Lee's first published pencils, Marvel Comics Alpha Flight #51 (Oct, 1987), although he previously inked the cover for Solson's Samurai Santa #1 - an obscure book to say the least. At an aggregated guide value of 7 - 10 bucks in various stages of Near Mint condition, Alpha Flight #51 is the first time that Lee's symmetrical but stylish penciling saw publication in comics. This book is even more undervalued considering that Lee graduated to Marvel's X-Men title and had a significant role in the 1990's X-Men #1 becoming the most selling comics of all time, a book wherein Lee's character designs became the foundation for Marvel's popular 90's X-Men cartoon as well. The 90's era of comic book speculation may have cemented Lee as a fluke in an era of inflation for the hobby, but he has been an industry mainstay, opening his own publishing company, and moving on to become DC comics most reliable property-revitalizing creator as seen in the Batman, Superman and Justice League titles. Alpha Flight #51 is where Lee started his penciling for comics, and this book is an easily gotten gem that someday may be more sought after due to the hobby-wide relevance of Jim Lee's artwork.

Another industry mainstay who has managed a long and prolific career is John Romita Jr. A Marvel legacy artist who has most recently moved over to DC to place his chiseled, square linework over Superman's stories, got his start in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15 (1967). Romita Jr. is unarguably an industry leader who most notably worked on Iron Man periodically across decades of that character's first series (first in Iron Man #115, another undervalued gem that started Romita and Layton's legendary, decades long run on the series). Later, he moved across Marvel's platform of titles, bringing his incredibly masculine character work to Spider-Man (80's), Daredevil (90's), Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine (00's), The Avengers, and creating the popular comic-turned-into-film Kick *SQUEE* with Mark Millar. Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15 features Romita Jr.'s first published work, and is widely unknown for Romita's few pages of contribution to the story. Complimenting that title is Iron Man #115, which was the first character that Romita Jr. truly put his stamp on the way that Miller had done with Daredevil and McFarlane with Spider-Man.

Speaking of Frank Miller, few, if any creators have had some trans-media success with their work on comics as Frank Miller. A writer popular for testosterone dialog and gritty stories, and an artist with an art style that spans dynamic, flowing characters to light and shadow pieces, Miller's first published work is an obscure issue of Gold Key's Twilight Zone (#84, 1978) series. Although the book that is often most sought after is Miller's first work on Daredevil, issue #158, that issue is a high priced market mover whereas the rather obscure Twilight Zone #84 is not as well known for Miller's work, and is undervalued for lack of market knowledge.

Another artist who has gone on across various publishers to become an industry leader is Greg Capullo. Capullo is a bit of a chameleon in his artwork, which can range from symmetrical and square (see his run on Quasar and in X-Force), to dark and gritty (Spawn & The Creech), to caricature-like, cartoony lines (New 52 Batman run). Capullo's first published work is an undervalued gem in that it is an relatively unknown indy title, Gore Shriek #1 (1986). Only recently has the price on this book began to climb, but it's still likely that you could find a copy for several dollars here and there. Although the market may now begin to recognize this title's limited availability, it is still an undervalued gem given it's Capullo's first published work, and likely low-print run given it's self-published nature as a New York LCS's indy title.

The first works from industry movers Jim Lee, Romita Jr., Miller and Capullo are undervalued books given their relatively unknown status on the market. Collectors may also look to the first time a creator worked on a title that he made famous, Lee's first X-Men book (#248) is a nice find as well as the easily accessible Alpha Flight #51. Romita Jr. fans can seek out Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15, but might also have difficulty tracking down high grade copies of the artists first work on Iron Man, #115 (side note: especially the Mark's Jewelers variant). Daredevil #158 is regularly sought after for Miller's first work on that character, but the creator was first published in Twilight Zone #84, and high-profile artist, Greg Capullo's first work in indy title Gore Shriek #1 should command more value attention as well.
Last edited by IMJ on Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:59:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

IMJ wrote:Industry Mainstays 1st Works
1st Jim Lee Published Work
1st John Romita Jr. Published Work
1st Frank Miller on Daredevil

The hobby we enjoy couldn't exist without talented artists grinding their pencils into paper every day as masters of their craft. Everyone has a favorite pencil whipper, but some artists, unarguably rise to the top as vibrant creators, industry leaders, or simply talented people whose lines on paper are captivating in a manner that surpasses their peers. That means that the books highlighted here are undervalued gems in that they feature the first published works of some of the more prolific creators in comics. These guys are more than industry linesmen, and their first published works are the comics equivalent of a Cooperstown players rookie card for baseball collectors.

Noticeably undervalued is Jim Lee's first published artwork, Marvel Comics Alpha Flight #51 (Oct, 1987). At an aggregated guide value of 7 - 10 bucks in various stages of Near Mint condition, Alpha Flight #51 is the first time that Lee's symmetrical but stylish penciling saw publication in comics. This book is even more undervalued considering that Lee graduated to Marvel's X-Men title and had a significant role in the 1990's X-Men #1 becoming the most selling comics of all time, a book wherein Lee's character designs became the foundation for Marvel's popular 90's X-Men cartoon as well. The 90's era of comic book speculation may have cemented Lee as a fluke in an era of inflation for the hobby, but he has been an industry mainstay, opening his own publishing company, and moving on to become DC comics most reliable property-revitalizing creator as seen in the Batman, Superman and Justice League titles. Alpha Flight #51 is where Lee started his profession, and this book is an easily gotten gem that someday may be more sought after due to the hobby-wide relevance of Jim Lee's artwork.

Another industry mainstay who has managed a long and prolific career is John Romita Jr. A Marvel legacy artist who has most recently moved over to DC to place his chiseled, square linework over Superman's stories, got his start in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15 (1967). Romita Jr. is unarguably an industry leader who most notably worked on Iron Man periodically across decades of that character's first series (first in Iron Man #115, another undervalued gem that started Romita and Layton's legendary, decades long run on the series). Later, he moved across Marvel's platform of titles, bringing his incredibly masculine character work to Spider-Man (80's), Daredevil (90's), Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine (00's), The Avengers, and creating the popular comic-turned-into-film Kick *SQUEE* with Mark Millar. Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15 features Romita Jr.'s first published work, and is widely unknown for Romita's few pages of contribution to the story. Complimenting that title is Iron Man #115, which was the first character that Romita Jr. truly put his stamp on the way that Miller had done with Daredevil and McFarlane with Spider-Man.

Speaking of Frank Miller, few, if any creators have had some trans-media success with their work on comics as Frank Miller. A writer popular for testosterone dialog and gritty stories, and an artist with an art style that spans dynamic, flowing characters to light and shadow pieces, Miller's first published work is an obscure issue of Gold Key's Twilight Zone (#84, 1978) series. Although the book that is often most sought after is Miller's first work on Daredevil, issue #158, that issue is a high priced market mover whereas the rather obscure Twilight Zone #84 is not as well known for Miller's work, and is undervalued for lack of market knowledge.

Another artist who has gone on across various publishers to become an industry leader is Greg Capullo. Capullo is a bit of a chameleon in his artwork, which can range from symmetrical and square (see his run on Quasar and in X-Force), to dark and gritty (Spawn & The Creech), to caricature-like, cartoony lines (New 52 Batman run). Capullo's first published work is an undervalued gem in that it is an relatively unknown indy title, Gore Shriek #1 (1986). Only recently has the price on this book began to climb, but it's still likely that you could find a copy for several dollars here and there. Although the market may now begin to recognize this title's limited availability, it is still an undervalued gem given it's Capullo's first published work, and likely low-print run given it's self-published nature as a New York LCS's indy title.

The first works from industry movers Jim Lee, Romita Jr., Miller and Capullo are undervalued books given their relatively unknown status on the market. Collectors may also look to the first time a creator worked on a title that he made famous, Lee's first X-Men book (#248) is a nice find as well as the easily accessible Alpha Flight #51. Romita Jr. fans can seek out Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15, but might also have difficulty tracking down high grade copies of the artists first work on Iron Man, #115 (side note: especially the Mark's Jewelers variant). Daredevil #158 is regularly sought after for Miller's first work on that character, but the creator was first published in Twilight Zone #84, and high-profile artist, Greg Capullo's first work in indy title Gore Shriek #1 should command more value attention as well.
1st Jim lee work on a comic book is Samurai Santa #1. He inked the cover.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Elveen wrote:
1st Jim Lee Published Work
1st John Romita Jr. Published Work
1st Frank Miller on Daredevil

Noticeably undervalued is Jim Lee's first published artwork, Marvel Comics Alpha Flight #51 (Oct, 1987). At an aggregated guide value of 7 - 10 bucks in various stages of Near Mint condition, Alpha Flight #51 is the first time that Lee's symmetrical but stylish penciling saw publication in comics. This book is even more undervalued considering that Lee graduated to Marvel's X-Men title and had a significant role in the 1990's X-Men #1 becoming the most selling comics of all time, a book wherein Lee's character designs became the foundation for Marvel's popular 90's X-Men cartoon as well. The 90's era of comic book speculation may have cemented Lee as a fluke in an era of inflation for the hobby, but he has been an industry mainstay, opening his own publishing company, and moving on to become DC comics most reliable property-revitalizing creator as seen in the Batman, Superman and Justice League titles. Alpha Flight #51 is where Lee started his profession, and this book is an easily gotten gem that someday may be more sought after due to the hobby-wide relevance of Jim Lee's artwork.

1st Jim lee work on a comic book is Samurai Santa #1. He inked the cover.
Thanks for that.... Ill edit the original post to be more clear as I was going for a bigger picture for some of these creators, given the undervalued nature of the thread.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Gore Shriek is a new one for me. Very interesting. Also will be interesting to see if Capullo rises to a Jim Lee/Romita Jr caliber.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

nycjadie wrote:Gore Shriek is a new one for me. Very interesting. Also will be interesting to see if Capullo rises to a Jim Lee/Romita Jr caliber.

There was a dealer a few shows ago that was going around trying to sell / trade the Gore Shriek book. Even with Capullo in the room, I was not interested. I did real good on the Spawn and Bat books.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

I think the Marvel sword & sorcery titles remain ripe for good buys, especially in raw form. Elric, for example, is a character who has to be made into a movie or series reasonably soon. Conan 14 is his 1st appearance in comic form, and features an all-star lineup of creators: Moorcock, Thomas & Cawthorn on script; BWS pencils & Sal Buscema inks. 15 has the same team and finishes the 2-part story.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Tony_H wrote:I think the Marvel sword & sorcery titles remain ripe for good buys, especially in raw form. Elric, for example, is a character who has to be made into a movie or series reasonably soon. Conan 14 is his 1st appearance in comic form, and features an all-star lineup of creators: Moorcock, Thomas & Cawthorn on script; BWS pencils & Sal Buscema inks. 15 has the same team and finishes the 2-part story.

that sounds interesting.

Tony_H
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Elveen wrote:
Tony_H wrote:I think the Marvel sword & sorcery titles remain ripe for good buys, especially in raw form. Elric, for example, is a character who has to be made into a movie or series reasonably soon. Conan 14 is his 1st appearance in comic form, and features an all-star lineup of creators: Moorcock, Thomas & Cawthorn on script; BWS pencils & Sal Buscema inks. 15 has the same team and finishes the 2-part story.

that sounds interesting.
Yessir! There aren't a lot of 14s on the CGC census at 9.2 and higher, and not many more 15s that have graded high.

Plus, if there's no Elric or his soul-stealing sword Stormbringer, there's no Sandman, no Adam Warlock (Starlin version with Pip the Troll and soul-stealing Soul Gem), no Dungeons & Dragons alignment system (Law v. Chaos), no Prince Nuada, no Witchblade, etc., etc..

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

:hm:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Tony_H wrote:
Elveen wrote:

that sounds interesting.
Yessir! There aren't a lot of 14s on the CGC census at 9.2 and higher, and not many more 15s that have graded high.

Plus, if there's no Elric or his soul-stealing sword Stormbringer, there's no Sandman, no Adam Warlock (Starlin version with Pip the Troll and soul-stealing Soul Gem), no Dungeons & Dragons alignment system (Law v. Chaos), no Prince Nuada, no Witchblade, etc., etc..

I've read the Elric mini. Loved it. It's in my "keep" boxes.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Marvel Masterworks Gold Variant Editions
-Classic stories
-Re-coloring
-Cult Following
-Incredibly Limited Print Runs

There are several ways that the market has made room for sought after collected editions. Some value adders for the bookstore trades have included exclusive signed bookplates (i.e., Dark Horse's first Conan HC, signed by Busiek), special bookshelf editions (such as O'Barr's The Crow special edition packaged with a "Fear and Bullets" soundtrack), or simply a uniformity that makes a bookshelf collection desirable (minus one misstep, Valiant's Deluxe Editions fit well here). However, Marvel found a way to do this incredibly well with their high-gloss reprints known as the Marvel Masterworks Collection.

This set has been in publication since 1987, so almost 30 years. However, the line was revamped a bit in the early 2000's, and these reprints of early Marvel stories were re-colored, bringing some stories back to life in vibrant color and lines that had never been seen before.

These gorgeous hardcover collected editions can be a collection focus unto themselves, there are about 230 Masterworks volumes in the set. The books have also inspired many grassroots collector niches such as the Marvel Masterworks library, and a hardcore following even overseas on the Collected Editions website.

But aside from gorgeous presentation, uniform hardcovers, and a cult following, what else makes these reprints undervalued gems? Consider this - that the Gold cover variants have incredibly limited production to the standard hardcovers and paperback versions. As a matter of fact, a complete set (someone has one.. you just know it's true...) is only as possible as the lowest print run Masterworks volume. What is a small run? Here are some examples.....

Marvel Masterworks Vol. 25 - The Fantastic Four (vol. 5 Subset) | Limited to 800 copies
Marvel Masterworks Vol. 20 - The Invincible Iron Man (vol. 1 Subset) | Limited to 390 copies
Marvel Masterworks Vol. 35 - X-Men (vol. 4 Subset) | Limited to 193 copies
Marvel Masterworks Vol. 09 - The Avengers (vol. 2 Subset) | Limited to 160 copies

Those editions are incredibly limited, even by the modern standards for published-monthly variant editions of new books. Most of us have seen the market for Marvel's Omnibus lines, but as loved as those are, Marvel's limited Masterworks volumes are way undervalued given their cult status, bookshelf uniformity, and limited print runs for the gold edition hardcovers.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

This is an excellent thread guys. Greg, interesting analysis of TMNT # 1 in high grade and IMJ, I agree re: Strange Tales 135 - certainly undervalued.

Here's one: The first true Agent Coulson appearance and a scarce book to boot. Iron Man: Security Measures (promo one-shot)
http://comicbookinvest.com/2015/04/05/agent-coulson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't find any active e-bay auctions and only one copy in completed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Man-Wal-Ma ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

1st Jim Lee Published Work & 1st Mainstream Work
1st John Romita Jr. Published Work & 1st Defining Character Book
1st Frank Miller Published Work & 1st Defining Character Book

Noticeably undervalued is Jim Lee's first published pencils, Marvel Comics Alpha Flight #51 (Oct, 1987), although he previously inked the cover for Solson's Samurai Santa #1 - an obscure book to say the least. At an aggregated guide value of 7 - 10 bucks in various stages of Near Mint condition, Alpha Flight #51 is the first time that Lee's symmetrical but stylish penciling saw publication in comics. This book is even more undervalued considering that Lee graduated to Marvel's X-Men title and had a significant role in the 1990's X-Men #1 becoming the most selling comics of all time, a book wherein Lee's character designs became the foundation for Marvel's popular 90's X-Men cartoon as well. The 90's era of comic book speculation may have cemented Lee as a fluke in an era of inflation for the hobby, but he has been an industry mainstay, opening his own publishing company, and moving on to become DC comics most reliable property-revitalizing creator as seen in the Batman, Superman and Justice League titles. Alpha Flight #51 is where Lee started his penciling for comics, and this book is an easily gotten gem that someday may be more sought after due to the hobby-wide relevance of Jim Lee's artwork.

Great list! What do you think of the early McFarlane books? Everyone is aware of ASM, but the artwork on some of the books that came out before ASM: Detective, Hulk feature his innovative artistic style and some (especially the Batman books) can be had quite cheap.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

GGSAE wrote:Great list! What do you think of the early McFarlane books? Everyone is aware of ASM, but the artwork on some of the books that came out before ASM: Detective, Hulk feature his innovative artistic style and some (especially the Batman books) can be had quite cheap.
I can stare at any of McFarlane's Big 2 work for hours - I love 'em. Batman Year 2 was a good read, complimented nicely by McFarlane and Davis. I'd love to see how complete runs of his Spider-Man stuff would sell as a set - his AMS and Spider-Man books along with a full set of the Marvel Tales issues with the covers that he did. I have some of the early Spawn stuff but never really cared about it and lost interest completely shortly after Capullo go on board. Both of them did great artwork on Spawn, but the concept just never grabbed me. Eventually I'll build a set of his work on Hulk too.

I would say that, off the top of my head, the only undervalued McFarlane stuff would be the Marvel Tales issues. It was an obscure reprint series that maybe had lower print runs than other Spider-Man books. I can tell you that I rarely see any of those Marvel Tales issues in high grade.

I actually purposely left McFarlane off of the artist list above, for several reasons.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'm gonna catch up on this thread this weekend. :)

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

One of the harder to find / rare / key / not know by everybody McFarlane books is the GI Joe special he did. It has Snake Eyes on the cover looking like Spidey. I rarely see that book and I've never owned that book and I've been looking.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I've got that GI Joe special issue in unread high grade condition. I sent it to CGC for a screen, but it didn't make it. I think I'll just send it in and see what happens. I've had nice offers for this book.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Elveen wrote:One of the harder to find / rare / key / not know by everybody McFarlane books is the GI Joe special he did. It has Snake Eyes on the cover looking like Spidey. I rarely see that book and I've never owned that book and I've been looking.
I never knew that was actually a McFarlane issue - I've seen it, but always thought it was just another swipe of his Spider-Man #1 cover...