Foreign Comics (non-english/non-manga)

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014
Foreign Comics (non-english/non-manga)

Post by omega_override »

In April, I made a thread dedicated to my recent discovery and enjoyment of Franco-Belgian comics. I was unfortunately naive in thinking that there were no other comics outside this particular spectrum as I began reading Italian (Paperinik New Adventures) and Spanish (Hombre) books.

It's still very peculiar to me how universal manga is in sharp contrast to how unknown non-English comics from countries outside Japan are

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: Foreign Comics (non-english/non-manga)

Post by Cyberstrike »

I've got the English version of Blue is the Warmest Color graphic novel. A New Zealand (I think it's from NZ) GN called Leather Tales. Both very good reads.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

omega_override wrote:In April, I made a thread dedicated to my recent discovery and enjoyment of Franco-Belgian comics. I was unfortunately naive in thinking that there were no other comics outside this particular spectrum as I began reading Italian (Paperinik New Adventures) and Spanish (Hombre) books.

It's still very peculiar to me how universal manga is in sharp contrast to how unknown non-English comics from countries outside Japan are
Europe has a HUGE band designée (BD) scene, sir: Tintin, Lucky Luke, Marsupilami, Asterix, Corto Maltese, Tex, Spirou et Fantasio to name the most famous ones. Festivals all around the continent, the biggest of them is in my town, Amadora BD.

I adore Paperinik /Super Pato here): his origin story was one of my favourite comics as a kid. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I remember watching a Lucky Luke animated film when I was a kid. I think it was on the Disney channel? They played it over and over and I watched it often enough to remember it. I had considered tracking down some Lucky Luke (particularly some featuring the Dalton(?) brothers) comics but never did.

I have a stack of Portuguese language comics I have been reading. Mostly translations of American works, though. There are several Brazilian-originated characters but they are aimed at kids, like Monica's Gang or Magali (I think?). I also have a couple of western comics that I think might be Brazilian concepts called Tex. Upon consulting the foreword, these are Portuguese translations of Italian comics.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Chiclo wrote:I remember watching a Lucky Luke animated film when I was a kid. I think it was on the Disney channel? They played it over and over and I watched it often enough to remember it. I had considered tracking down some Lucky Luke (particularly some featuring the Dalton(?) brothers) comics but never did.

I have a stack of Portuguese language comics I have been reading. Mostly translations of American works, though. There are several Brazilian-originated characters but they are aimed at kids, like Monica's Gang or Magali (I think?). I also have a couple of western comics that I think might be Brazilian concepts called Tex. Upon consulting the foreword, these are Portuguese translations of Italian comics.
:thumb:
You have to read Lucky Luke. Must read for any european comics fan. Mandatory in high school, when US comics were put down by my teachers. :lol: Nevertheless, each volume is a treat. I highly, highly recommend it.
Ze Carioca's comics from Disney Brasil are awesomely fun to read. They had their original stories that pull a lot from Brasilian cultural references. I love it.
And I have this idea that Maurício de Souza (Mônica, Magali, Pelezinho, etc) is kinda like Walt Disney over there.
Oh, and "Tex" is spaghetti western in comic format. :D
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo