ROM at IDW Discussion Thread

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
ROM at IDW Discussion Thread

Post by BugsySig »

At IDW...

http://www.newsarama.com/25138-rom-and- ... 7PU2tF8V0j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:o
Last edited by BugsySig on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:13:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: ROM and Micronauts Returning!?!

Post by Brother Darque »

about :censored:ing time!!

whovian
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by whovian »

Didn't see this one coming! Maybe now something can be worked out to get the original stuff reprinted in a prestigious format. I actually couldn't care less about new stuff.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

BugsySig wrote:At IDW...

http://www.newsarama.com/25138-rom-and- ... 7PU2tF8V0j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:o
I called it! :D
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

With what IDW has done with GI Joe, Transformers and TMNT, they seem like the best landing spot for these characters if they're doing new stories. As long as it turns out better than their THUNDER Agents attempt...yuck.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

BugsySig wrote:With what IDW has done with GI Joe, Transformers and TMNT, they seem like the best landing spot for these characters if they're doing new stories. As long as it turns out better than their THUNDER Agents attempt...yuck.
I liked their THUNDER Agents take. Not as good as the recent DC version, but I enjoyed it. :D
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

leonmallett wrote:
BugsySig wrote:With what IDW has done with GI Joe, Transformers and TMNT, they seem like the best landing spot for these characters if they're doing new stories. As long as it turns out better than their THUNDER Agents attempt...yuck.
I liked their THUNDER Agents take. Not as good as the recent DC version, but I enjoyed it. :D
I thought the first arc was decent. The second was just not very good and ended with killing off two members, giving Dynamo powers without his belt and a male version of Iron Maiden running with the team...weird. The DC version was the *SQUEE*. I wish that had kept going for a while longer.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Interesting news, everyone was hoping that Marvel would swoop in an get the license again. IDW though I trust them, they don't normally drop the ball to often, except the Jurassic Park stuff lordy that was rough. Loved their first Dungeons and Dragons series. Wish they'd do some superhero work.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

OK ... funny story about this going down at SDCC 2015. Chris Ryall who is EIC at IDW and also writes a few books, like the recently released Onyx, is a HUGE Rom fan. He had asked me to be sure and stop by the booth to show him my Rom themed sketch book when I was at SDCC. So sure enough I do on Thursday and I also picked up the Onyx #1 variant. Chris was deep in conversation with some one so I waited. I was chatting with another employee working the booth and he mentions they have the rights to Rom now. I responded "That's awesome, you just made my con!" So Chris is free and I go over and we talk Rom and I mention how someone told me they finally got the rights, Chris says, "No we don't. I have been trying for 10 years but it keeps falling through." So I am thinking the other guy who obviously is low on the totem pole, so to speak, was misinformed. I say how much that sucks and Chris responds he will keep working at it and maybe someday. OK, fast forward to Sunday morning, I hear the news and think "That son of a B!" I stop by the booth Sunday afternoon and call him on his shenanigans. He says the negotiations were so delicate he didn't and couldn't say anything in fear of it hurting them legally. After such a long and precarious battle for the rights I could hardly blame him. He said in fact they didn't even mean to announce it at SDCC but that he "accidentally" posted to his tumblr, but it was meant to be private. Don't think I am buying that because they had an awesome stand-up banner at the booth Sunday, that hadn't been there before. Still it is great news and Chris will be on my podcast to talk all things Rom after there are more details available that he can discuss.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

dornwolf wrote:Interesting news, everyone was hoping that Marvel would swoop in an get the license again. IDW though I trust them, they don't normally drop the ball to often, except the Jurassic Park stuff lordy that was rough. Loved their first Dungeons and Dragons series. Wish they'd do some superhero work.
They have done super-heroes in the past most of it stuff like T.H.U.D.E.R. Agents, John Byrne's Next Men, Grimjack, and Jon Sable: Freelance. Most of that was reprints of older material and maybe a mini-series or one-shot when the creators involved could get around to it. And original characters like John Byrne's Trio and Onyx haven't been best sellers for them.

IDW's handling of properties like Transformers and G.I. Joe also have peaks and valleys as well. Transformers seems to be at a peak (and/or a hit a high plateau at least) with 3 constant titles and a new mini-series Sins of the Wreckers coming later this year and as well various other mini-series and one-shots published through out the year. While their own G.I. Joe universe seems to be at an all-time low the last volume was canceled after 8 issues, and no one knows what to do with it. The Larry Hama written G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero series which picks up from (more or less) the original Marvel series is doing OK but right is basically coasting on Hama as being THE only writer for G.I. Joe and even he has to resort to a Death of Snake-Eyes storyline and becoming a bi-weekly comic to help get any publicity. While the Transformers vs. G.I. Joe series seems to be published less and less frequently with the general reason that artist Tom Sconli needs to take a break and get caught up and no one else should draw it due to his Kirby-esque style.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Jace wrote:OK ... funny story about this going down at SDCC 2015. Chris Ryall who is EIC at IDW and also writes a few books, like the recently released Onyx, is a HUGE Rom fan. He had asked me to be sure and stop by the booth to show him my Rom themed sketch book when I was at SDCC. So sure enough I do on Thursday and I also picked up the Onyx #1 variant. Chris was deep in conversation with some one so I waited. I was chatting with another employee working the booth and he mentions they have the rights to Rom now. I responded "That's awesome, you just made my con!" So Chris is free and I go over and we talk Rom and I mention how someone told me they finally got the rights, Chris says, "No we don't. I have been trying for 10 years but it keeps falling through." So I am thinking the other guy who obviously is low on the totem pole, so to speak, was misinformed. I say how much that sucks and Chris responds he will keep working at it and maybe someday. OK, fast forward to Sunday morning, I hear the news and think "That son of a B!" I stop by the booth Sunday afternoon and call him on his shenanigans. He says the negotiations were so delicate he didn't and couldn't say anything in fear of it hurting them legally. After such a long and precarious battle for the rights I could hardly blame him. He said in fact they didn't even mean to announce it at SDCC but that he "accidentally" posted to his tumblr, but it was meant to be private. Don't think I am buying that because they had an awesome stand-up banner at the booth Sunday, that hadn't been there before. Still it is great news and Chris will be on my podcast to talk all things Rom after there are more details available that he can discuss.
:thumb:

Can't wait to hear that interview! I'm pretty excited, I'll be checking out the book FOR SURE. I'm curious as to what other background material they will use in this iteration, and I noted the specific tiny tweak to the title of 'ROM - The Spaceknight'...

I gotta ask, Jace - did he like your sketchbook? How many do you have in there now?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Cyberstrike wrote:
dornwolf wrote:Interesting news, everyone was hoping that Marvel would swoop in an get the license again. IDW though I trust them, they don't normally drop the ball to often, except the Jurassic Park stuff lordy that was rough. Loved their first Dungeons and Dragons series. Wish they'd do some superhero work.
They have done super-heroes in the past most of it stuff like T.H.U.D.E.R. Agents, John Byrne's Next Men, Grimjack, and Jon Sable: Freelance. Most of that was reprints of older material and maybe a mini-series or one-shot when the creators involved could get around to it. And original characters like John Byrne's Trio and Onyx haven't been best sellers for them.

IDW's handling of properties like Transformers and G.I. Joe also have peaks and valleys as well. Transformers seems to be at a peak (and/or a hit a high plateau at least) with 3 constant titles and a new mini-series Sins of the Wreckers coming later this year and as well various other mini-series and one-shots published through out the year. While their own G.I. Joe universe seems to be at an all-time low the last volume was canceled after 8 issues, and no one knows what to do with it. The Larry Hama written G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero series which picks up from (more or less) the original Marvel series is doing OK but right is basically coasting on Hama as being THE only writer for G.I. Joe and even he has to resort to a Death of Snake-Eyes storyline and becoming a bi-weekly comic to help get any publicity. While the Transformers vs. G.I. Joe series seems to be published less and less frequently with the general reason that artist Tom Sconli needs to take a break and get caught up and no one else should draw it due to his Kirby-esque style.
Well what I meant about superheroes is a fully fledged shared universe angle. Every thing else I feel IDW has become a pretty solid publisher for media tie ins. I'd go to them with a license for a comic before any where else.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

grendeljd wrote:
Jace wrote:OK ... funny story about this going down at SDCC 2015. Chris Ryall who is EIC at IDW and also writes a few books, like the recently released Onyx, is a HUGE Rom fan. He had asked me to be sure and stop by the booth to show him my Rom themed sketch book when I was at SDCC. So sure enough I do on Thursday and I also picked up the Onyx #1 variant. Chris was deep in conversation with some one so I waited. I was chatting with another employee working the booth and he mentions they have the rights to Rom now. I responded "That's awesome, you just made my con!" So Chris is free and I go over and we talk Rom and I mention how someone told me they finally got the rights, Chris says, "No we don't. I have been trying for 10 years but it keeps falling through." So I am thinking the other guy who obviously is low on the totem pole, so to speak, was misinformed. I say how much that sucks and Chris responds he will keep working at it and maybe someday. OK, fast forward to Sunday morning, I hear the news and think "That son of a B!" I stop by the booth Sunday afternoon and call him on his shenanigans. He says the negotiations were so delicate he didn't and couldn't say anything in fear of it hurting them legally. After such a long and precarious battle for the rights I could hardly blame him. He said in fact they didn't even mean to announce it at SDCC but that he "accidentally" posted to his tumblr, but it was meant to be private. Don't think I am buying that because they had an awesome stand-up banner at the booth Sunday, that hadn't been there before. Still it is great news and Chris will be on my podcast to talk all things Rom after there are more details available that he can discuss.
:thumb:

Can't wait to hear that interview! I'm pretty excited, I'll be checking out the book FOR SURE. I'm curious as to what other background material they will use in this iteration, and I noted the specific tiny tweak to the title of 'ROM - The Spaceknight'...

I gotta ask, Jace - did he like your sketchbook? How many do you have in there now?
He thought the sketchbook was awesome and I have 5 currently. I have slowed down a bit on sketches only one this year at SDCC.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

dornwolf wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

Well what I meant about superheroes is a fully fledged shared universe angle. Every thing else I feel IDW has become a pretty solid publisher for media tie ins. I'd go to them with a license for a comic before any where else.
The problem with a superhero universe it's been done and outside of Valiant none of the major independent publishers (ie Dark Horse, IDW, Boom, Archie, and etc) have every been able to maintain one for more than a few years at best.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Its interesting that IDW is going to tell new ROM stories. I'm interested in them doing HC Complete Collections like they've done with Marvel's G.I.Joe(with they would do the Marvel TF run in HC as well).

The interesting thing is that new series they just started last week, two weeks ago, called ONYX. The creator expressly states how ROM is the largest influence on the book. So now IDW will have new ROM stories + a ONYX which is ROM-esque.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Captain Craig wrote:Its interesting that IDW is going to tell new ROM stories. I'm interested in them doing HC Complete Collections like they've done with Marvel's G.I.Joe(with they would do the Marvel TF run in HC as well).

The interesting thing is that new series they just started last week, two weeks ago, called ONYX. The creator expressly states how ROM is the largest influence on the book. So now IDW will have new ROM stories + a ONYX which is ROM-esque.
I smell a crossover. Literally, IDW loves random off the wall crossovers. They're about due for another big one.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

dornwolf wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:Its interesting that IDW is going to tell new ROM stories. I'm interested in them doing HC Complete Collections like they've done with Marvel's G.I.Joe(with they would do the Marvel TF run in HC as well).

I smell a crossover. Literally, IDW loves random off the wall crossovers. They're about due for another big one.
Looking forward to seeing ROM and the Micronauts join TF, GIJoe and TMNT in their semiannual IDW crossover.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

BugsySig wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

Looking forward to seeing ROM and the Micronauts join TF, GIJoe and TMNT in their semiannual IDW crossover.
My guess is that ONYX will be revealed to be another Spaceknight from ROM's race, although I would love to see ROM as a Knight of Cybertron. :lol:
I would like to see the DDP Micronauts series get reprinted it wasn't the greatest series but it was a fun read.
I recall in an interview with John Barber the co-writer and artist on TF vs. Joe book saying that he had an insane idea for a Hasbro Multiverse that would have The Transformers, G.I. Joe, MLP, Jem & The Holograms, D&D, Magic: Gathering, and others in it that would be a pretty wild universe.

Snakes-Eyes taking on a Red Dragon with a claymore sword and Blaster and Soundwave teaming up with Jem and The Holograms and the Misfits respectfully.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Cyberstrike wrote:My guess is that ONYX will be revealed to be another Spaceknight from ROM's race, although I would love to see ROM as a Knight of Cybertron. :lol:
I could see that. It might boost sales of Onyx to be connected to ROM. Plus it sounds like they may have to introduce new Space Knights.

I also wouldn't discount a tie into TF. The Knight of Cybertron thing has been bandied about before.
Cyberstrike wrote:I recall in an interview with John Barber the co-writer and artist on TF vs. Joe book saying that he had an insane idea for a Hasbro Multiverse that would have The Transformers, G.I. Joe, MLP, Jem & The Holograms, D&D, Magic: Gathering, and others in it that would be a pretty wild universe.

Snakes-Eyes taking on a Red Dragon with a claymore sword and Blaster and Soundwave teaming up with Jem and The Holograms and the Misfits respectfully.
No. Please, no.

On a separate note, can we get a new Thundercats series someone?!? I enjoyed the Wildstorm books back in the day. A little TC, Silverhawks, Tigersharks universe would be pretty cool.

I'd love to see where the 2012 series was headed and a comic might be the best way to do so. They were putting together a nice little mythology to that universe before Cartoon Network killed the show.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Cyberstrike wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

My guess is that ONYX will be revealed to be another Spaceknight from ROM's race, although I would love to see ROM as a Knight of Cybertron. :lol:
I would like to see the DDP Micronauts series get reprinted it wasn't the greatest series but it was a fun read.
I recall in an interview with John Barber the co-writer and artist on TF vs. Joe book saying that he had an insane idea for a Hasbro Multiverse that would have The Transformers, G.I. Joe, MLP, Jem & The Holograms, D&D, Magic: Gathering, and others in it that would be a pretty wild universe.

I thought it had been revealed years ago that Hasbro had initially been planning to try a comic book shared universe type deal but backed out at the last moment.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

dornwolf wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

I thought it had been revealed years ago that Hasbro had initially been planning to try a comic book shared universe type deal but backed out at the last moment.
It wouldn't surprise me. Some of it might be that both of their heavy hitters The Transformers and G.I. Joe already have comic book multiverses already.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I was just leafing through the new Overstreet price guide & saw that ROM #1 is listed at $60 for a 9.2!! That's amazing, and great to see. Except for the fact that I have never owned a copy of #1, dammit! :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

grendeljd wrote:I was just leafing through the new Overstreet price guide & saw that ROM #1 is listed at $60 for a 9.2!! That's amazing, and great to see. Except for the fact that I have never owned a copy of #1, dammit! :lol:
I think I may have multiples. I'll have to look.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Jace wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I was just leafing through the new Overstreet price guide & saw that ROM #1 is listed at $60 for a 9.2!! That's amazing, and great to see. Except for the fact that I have never owned a copy of #1, dammit! :lol:
I think I may have multiples. I'll have to look.
Sweet, let me know!

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Spoke with Golden this weekend and he confirmed that he'd been hired to design some of the Micronauts for the relaunch. :cloud9:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!