DC to cancel 13 titles monthlies and 3 weeklies in March

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
DC to cancel 13 titles monthlies and 3 weeklies in March

Post by Cyberstrike »

http://www.newsarama.com/23009-dc-cance ... klies.html and just in time for Convergence too.

The 13 Monthlies are:
Aquaman and The Others
Infinity Man and The Forever People
Klarion
Secret Origins
Star-Spangled War Stories Featuring G.I. Zombie
Trinity of Sin
World's Finest
Arkham Manor
Batwoman
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Red Lanterns
Swamp Thing

The Weeklies:
The New 52: Future's End
Earth 2: World's End

And maybe
Batman Eternal Snyder revealed a second year is in the works. .

Honestly I'm not as broken up about Batwoman being canceled the book has been in decline since Williams and Blackman left.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: DC to cancel 13 titles monthlies and 3 weeklies in March

Post by nycjadie »

2 big surprises (for me) there:

Batwoman - Granted, since I moved I dropped the book, but I planned on picking it up later when I was up to date on my bat titles. Big bummer. It was one of the most visually stunning books out there. Pacing was a bit slow, but the stories were interesting.

Swamp Thing - Man, that title was HOT! You couldn't get it anywhere. But the battle against the Red and the Green seemed to drag on forever. I liked it. This character cannot get a break. It's like that restaurant that always opens up only to close and change hands every 18 months.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Earth-2 Worlds End went down hill in a hurry actually surprised that the actual Earth-2 book is still going.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

dornwolf wrote:Earth-2 Worlds End went down hill in a hurry actually surprised that the actual Earth-2 book is still going.
I dropped Earth 2 with the overt nihilism of Taylor's tenure, as he dismantled what Robinson had been set up with the core characters, and the focus switch to alt-Super,man, alt-Batman, alt-Lois etc.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Does anyone know if the New 52: Futures End weekly is coming to a planned conclusion or is it just being axed? It's the only DC title I pick up, and even at that I only buy the issues drawn by Patrick Zircher.

I wonder if DC fans are going to end up with even more Batman or Superman monthlies in place of some of those cancelled series...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thomas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

Maybe DC didn't get anyone who could replace Charles Soule on Swamp Thing and Red Lantern. Also heard that Justin Jordan finished with Green Lantern: New Guardians. Maybe he will be back for something Shadowman related :? .
Well Klarion had Ann Nocenti on it and every title that was written by Ann Nocenti was badly received by critics and fans.
Batwoman was no surprise since the title dropped in quality after the creative team change, atleast that is what I get from reading the reviews.
DC has now cancelled more books than they had when they started the new 52.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

cyberstrike wrote:Note: I've been thinking about the new direction of Batwoman and the problems I'm having with it. So here is my rambling thoughts on the current state of DC's Batwoman, it a part review and part rant. I know it's bit disjointed, but I needed to get this out of my system.

When I read Batwoman Annual #1, #25-#34, and Batwoman: Future's End #1 I get a sense that this a book being drained of what made it a standout into "Batman with *SQUEE*" book, with fifth string villains henchmen The Wolf-Spider, Killshot and Night-Thief posing as major threats and a sixth string "nemesis" Noctura turning the lead heroine Kate Kane into a monster. Maggie Sawyer has been written out, in one lamest excuses to get out of a wedding I've ever seen in comics. The whole "ending" to that beautiful relationship is so painful because of attempts to inject real-world homophobia as an excuse. Kate's first meeting with Jamie Sawyer, Maggie's daughter, was something I had been looking forward too since the series started. Their meeting is stupid in just about ever way possible, from Kate being beaten up by the Wolf-Spider and going to Maggie's apartment to Kate leaving her mask on the floor, to Kate not knowing her fiance's daughter is there in the first place. You think Maggie would have at least mentioned it to Kate. Then the only time Kate and Jamie is in a police station where Kate lies about her injuries to Jamie and explain her relationship to her Mother which Jamie already knows her mom is a lesbian. Then when Maggie's ex tries to get sole custody of her Kate states that she loves Jamie as her own daughter even though she has spent less ten minutes with her in the whole story. Maggie's recommendation that Kate see a therpist because she think Kate might be suffering from PTSD is a good idea but her therpist believes Kate's controlling nature might be the real problem and that the only way for Kate to get over it is by letting something personal go, which is Maggie. The story feels like for one step forward, two are taken back.

The creative team's lack of imgination or just simple character devolopment is staggering. The return of an ex-girlfriend from Kate's days as cadet at Westpoint is just a waste of time since it comes off as a red-herring. Speaking of red herrings the identity of The Wolf Spider is one of those "it's so obivious that it's Kate's friend from High School that it can't be but it has to be" is another plot that gets dropped. But #25 is IMHO by the worst issue of the series to date. First it's a quickie tie-in to Year Zero in which we learn all of The New 52 revolves around Batman and we learn that Kate Kane is Bruce Wayne's cousin. This has been might been hinted at or stated in the pre-New 52 DCU but it here it feels awkward and forced. Also it's never explained how they're related (by blood or marriage) other than Kate's father is Bruce's uncle. The story also Kate stopping a high-rise bugulary during a Riddler created blackout while a hurricane hits the city. With Maggie Sawyer, who was in the Metropolis Police Department, going to Gotham to help out only to arrest Kate at the end and her father bails her out. This story is a quickie thrown together but man it's just stupid. While Kate's past is retconned for no good reason her future is bleaker Future's End has Kate now a super-power demon vampire out to destroy Maggie and the Unknowns a group of second-string mystical heroes that include: The Demon, The Ragman, Clayface III, and Red Alice, Kate's now reformed twin sister who has too kill her. Kate pretty much makes short work of the Unknowns killing all them except for Red Alice who saves Maggie and kills Kate. I haven't mentioned Hawkfire, Kate's sidekick. Hawkfire gets her arm broken and basically becomes like Barbra Gordon back in the pre-New 52, a hacker that supplies Kate intel. Honestly this might be the best idea out of this mess.

The book has too many red herrings and dropped plots and is a mess and it feels like if the Future's End event is indeed the set future of the New 52 then maybe Red Alice will become the new Batwoman. While that might have some interesting areas to explore it feels like the writer is more interested in her than Kate Kane.

The art for the most part is standard second-tier New 52 bland and generic with no artist sticking around for a few issues. Other than Trevor McCarthy's art in Batwoman Annual #1 is a fitting swan-song to Williams/Blackman era. The annual is the best story out this mess and does a decent job of resolving the many plot threads that Williams and Blackman left unresolved, albeit very quickly and still makes some large oversights.

In the end a this is a series that once was great now it's just bland. Honestly I'm thinking after the next arc is done I'm leaving this series, because seriously the Batwoman fired up my imgination and came up with my own ideas for the character and I have a character that has been in my head for the better part of a decade and I might write it for my own amusement if I ever get the time.
I posted this on another board. It pretty much sums all feelings on Batwoman and I should add that I was planning on dropping the book after the current storyline was over anyway.
Now if DC would cancel Justice League 3000. I'm more shocked that it didn't get the axe when it should.

IF DC canceled Harley Quinn I would be *SQUEE*.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I enjoy Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns i'll be sad to see them go. New Guardians is decent sometimes i'm just not a big fan of Kyle Rayner.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

So there's going to be only one Green Lantern title going forward? I remember during Blackest Night and all the White Lantern stuff, everybody was talking about those books. Guess the Lanterns' popularity has dwindled.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

Should just cancel all their books :lol:

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

leonmallett wrote:
dornwolf wrote:Earth-2 Worlds End went down hill in a hurry actually surprised that the actual Earth-2 book is still going.
I dropped Earth 2 with the overt nihilism of Taylor's tenure, as he dismantled what Robinson had been set up with the core characters, and the focus switch to alt-Super,man, alt-Batman, alt-Lois etc.
Taylors run while not perfect went clear over the damn cliff with Worlds End and the book itself. Taylor drew out the Brutal and Apocalypse thing, it's now over the top. Characters from the beginning have been shunted aside and even the second stringers that were somewhat neat well they're either dead or ignored. Oh and everyone is written horribly. I know it's supposed to tied into Futures End and even Convergence and Multiversity but at the rate it's going I'm honestly surprised it's not being completely wiped out and COIE into Nu-Earth.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

I loved Swamp Thing.
I was enjoying watching Aquaman & the Others find itself cause as a new concept it was finding it's place but too many people didn't want to watch that experience with me it seems. Shame.

I'll not be replacing these two titles with other DC fare. DC just lost more of my money.

I'm now only down to two DC books per month.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Captain Craig wrote:I loved Swamp Thing.
I was enjoying watching Aquaman & the Others find itself cause as a new concept it was finding it's place but too many people didn't want to watch that experience with me it seems. Shame.

I'll not be replacing these two titles with other DC fare. DC just lost more of my money.

Which two?
***Support your local farmers!***

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Would you recommend an omnibus or hardcover collection of some kind of the current Swamp Thing run if DC makes one?
***Support your local farmers!***

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

The same here. I'm going to continue with Justice League 3000 until March, and then only stick to Harley Quinn until the creative leaves or it goes down the grimdark road.

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

geocarr wrote:

Which two?
Aquaman
Justice League Dark

I would love to see a Swamp Thing nu52 Omnibus. It would be very clean with a start & end(I'm sure Soule ends it with no teasers).

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

God I wish they'd of cancelled Earth-2. It's literally the worst thing I've ever read. It's just the worst.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Green Lantern Corps
Red Lanterns
Are these properly wrapped up?

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Green Lantern Corps
Red Lanterns
According to Justin Jordan New Guardians should be wrapped up ( http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=57597 ) "... I've written about four hundred pages of New Guardians, and I've told the story I wanted to tell, so I figured it'd be a good time to wrap up this stage..."
I think the same goes for Charles Soule and Red Lanterns because everybody knew about his Marvel exclusive status now for quite some time. So he will probably wrap up the story.
Don't really know anything about Green Lantern Corps though.

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Thomas wrote:Maybe DC didn't get anyone who could replace Charles Soule on Swamp Thing and Red Lantern. Also heard that Justin Jordan finished with Green Lantern: New Guardians. Maybe he will be back for something Shadowman related :? .
Well Klarion had Ann Nocenti on it and every title that was written by Ann Nocenti was badly received by critics and fans.
Batwoman was no surprise since the title dropped in quality after the creative team change, atleast that is what I get from reading the reviews.
DC has now cancelled more books than they had when they started the new 52.
I wonder if this is the unofficial end of the new 52 era both in amount of titles printed and the universe? I have thought that DC was trying to push too many books to shelf and that their quality suffered as a result for a while now. Their talent was spread too thin. There has been no word on replacement titles yet (though its early) and their Convergence event is approaching with promises of some changes. Is this a quiet little reboot to bring back some of the old to get back some lost fan base while keeping new stuff that worked?

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thomas wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:
Green Lantern Corps
Red Lanterns
According to Justin Jordan New Guardians should be wrapped up ( http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=57597 ) "... I've written about four hundred pages of New Guardians, and I've told the story I wanted to tell, so I figured it'd be a good time to wrap up this stage..."
I think the same goes for Charles Soule and Red Lanterns because everybody knew about his Marvel exclusive status now for quite some time. So he will probably wrap up the story.
Don't really know anything about Green Lantern Corps though.
Just looked at the solicits for march and february and saw that it isn't Charles Soule who does the last issues for Red Lantern. The last few issues are done by different writers.