Pulp Comics/Stories

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Pulp Comics/Stories

Post by dornwolf »

So recently I've gotten interested in the more Pulp style characters like The Shadow and Doc Savage. Aside from what Dynamite publishes are there any other readily available pulpish books and characters that are worth looking into.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: Pulp Comics/Stories

Post by jeremycoe »

There's an Athena Voltaire HC coming from Dark Horse in December. It looks like it might be interesting.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

jeremycoe wrote:There's an Athena Voltaire HC coming from Dark Horse in December. It looks like it might be interesting.
I'm very interested in this. I keep meaning to listen to Sean's mini podcast with the creator. It looks really cool.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

lorddunlow wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:There's an Athena Voltaire HC coming from Dark Horse in December. It looks like it might be interesting.
I'm very interested in this. I keep meaning to listen to Sean's mini podcast with the creator. It looks really cool.
That was a great mini podcast and makes me want to order the HC. :thumb:

mkb28

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

dornwolf wrote:So recently I've gotten interested in the more Pulp style characters like The Shadow and Doc Savage. Aside from what Dynamite publishes are there any other readily available pulpish books and characters that are worth looking into.
Did you see the Doc Savage Special 2014 from Dynamite this month on the order form? Also, Dynamite publishes "Justice, Inc." which has The Shadow, Doc Savage and The Avenger. I am waiting for the trade for that series.

mkb28

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

mkb28 wrote:
Did you see the Doc Savage Special 2014 from Dynamite this month on the order form? Also, Dynamite publishes "Justice, Inc." which has The Shadow, Doc Savage and The Avenger. I am waiting for the trade for that series.
I have the first 3 issues and so far its great.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

mkb28 wrote:
dornwolf wrote:So recently I've gotten interested in the more Pulp style characters like The Shadow and Doc Savage. Aside from what Dynamite publishes are there any other readily available pulpish books and characters that are worth looking into.

mkb28
I've just seen the Justice Inc series, I saw an interview with the writer on Bleeding Cool that really made it interesting. Didn't know of the Special for Doc Savage, is it still written by Chris Roberson? Seriously that guy is underrated in this industry.

I know a lot of people have major issues to with Dynamite but the pulps they've really treaded lightly with it. They're even doing a sequel to MASKS.
Upon googleing this sounds pretty interesting. Characters like Indiana Jones and those kind of things are great. I've read the Uncharted comic which if you play the games is a great thing to have in the collection.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

dornwolf wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

mkb28
I've just seen the Justice Inc series, I saw an interview with the writer on Bleeding Cool that really made it interesting. Didn't know of the Special for Doc Savage, is it still written by Chris Roberson? Seriously that guy is underrated in this industry.

Looks like Doc Savage is written by David Walker and the artist is Kewber Baal.

Mkb28

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Small Press Publisher CE Publishing has published pulp stories written by Jonathan Gilbert. Gilbert is one of my favorite writers, and it's an absolute shame his work doesn't get more recognition.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Just ran across a single issue of The Bat, published in 1990 by Apple Comics. I may have to pick that up.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

newt138
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by newt138 »

COnan the barbarian is my favorite pulp character. And I am loving the Dark Horse comics Savage Sword of Conan Archives. I read some of their full color Conan series and it is really good too. But being partially color blind I have always preferred B/W artwork to color art.

No idea how hard they would be to find now,but Now Comics Green Hornet series and mini series are all really good. And the Zorro series Topps published decades ago is good.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

newt138 wrote:COnan the barbarian is my favorite pulp character. And I am loving the Dark Horse comics Savage Sword of Conan Archives. I read some of their full color Conan series and it is really good too. But being partially color blind I have always preferred B/W artwork to color art.

No idea how hard they would be to find now,but Now Comics Green Hornet series and mini series are all really good. And the Zorro series Topps published decades ago is good.
Luvs me some Conan :thumb: Robert E Howard, Frazetta, BWS...and the newer stuff that Dark Horse has put out isn't bad either...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Alex Ross has been making sweet covers for Justice Inc.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Brother Darque wrote:Alex Ross has been making sweet covers for Justice Inc.

That's pretty much how Dynamite sells there books I've noticed. Doesn't matter what it is or even if the style fits there is an Alex Ross cover.