CBR: Milligan & Nord Bring “Eternal Warrior: Days of Steel”

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
CBR: Milligan & Nord Bring “Eternal Warrior: Days of Steel”

Post by Keith »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=54759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: CBR: Milligan & Nord Bring “Eternal Warrior: Days of Ste

Post by bygranddesign »

:clap:
:high-five:
:banana:
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Art looks great. The coloring of Nord's pencils is very well done and looks epic.

Milligan worries me. Especially after End Times...EW has already been pretty screwed up in the 8 Greg Pak issues and the four FVL A&A issues, while Kindt has handled him very well. This seems isolated enough in time that it won't disrupt what Kindt is doing in Unity...hopefully.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Keith

Post by Keith »

BugsySig wrote:Art looks great. The coloring of Nord's pencils is very well done and looks epic.

Milligan worries me. Especially after End Times...EW has already been pretty screwed up in the 8 Greg Pak issues and the four FVL A&A issues, while Kindt has handled him very well. This seems isolated enough in time that it won't disrupt what Kindt is doing in Unity...hopefully.
Captured my thoughts on the matter perfectly, Bugsy.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Keith wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Art looks great. The coloring of Nord's pencils is very well done and looks epic.

Captured my thoughts on the matter perfectly, Bugsy.
I tend to do that :D

Keith

Post by Keith »

This one with a Milligan interview:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/12/ex ... -of-steel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

I hope we get an interview or a little more information on the title, cause the "save the baby" plot concerns me a bit...

jaden_sai

Post by jaden_sai »

Keith wrote:This one with a Milligan interview:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/12/ex ... -of-steel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ask and you shall receive...sometimes before you even get the asking typed out

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

awesome. the logo on that cover looks fantastic. sorry… i'm a design nerd.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Two thoughts after reading the interview...

1) it would have been pretty interesting if the child Gilad was tasked to save ended up being Aric, but the timeframe doesn't fit.

2) Milligan still worries me...I did not like this comment:
Obviously, both The Eternal Warrior and Geomancer are a big part of The Valiant, beginning in December. Did you have to confer with Jeff Lemire and Matt Kindt on where the characters go after this story?

Nah, I talked about this story with [Valiant Editor-in-Chief] Warren Simons. At first I really didn't see the point of me writing about Gilad. But then I came up with a story that excited me and seemed to be saying something or examining something that wasn't just how many people Gilad can kill in one issue.
That shows A) he doesn't hold a special attachment to Gilad and B) he doesn't particularly care about squaring continuity, as was apparent in End Times.

Keith

Post by Keith »

BugsySig wrote:Two thoughts after reading the interview...

1) it would have been pretty interesting if the child Gilad was tasked to save ended up being Aric, but the timeframe doesn't fit.

Obviously, both The Eternal Warrior and Geomancer are a big part of The Valiant, beginning in December. Did you have to confer with Jeff Lemire and Matt Kindt on where the characters go after this story?

Nah, I talked about this story with [Valiant Editor-in-Chief] Warren Simons. At first I really didn't see the point of me writing about Gilad. But then I came up with a story that excited me and seemed to be saying something or examining something that wasn't just how many people Gilad can kill in one issue.
That shows A) he doesn't hold a special attachment to Gilad and B) he doesn't particularly care about squaring continuity, as was apparent in End Times.
That's where I'd expect Arbona to come in and make things synch up with both past and future plans.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

+1

Geez. I'm even more worried now.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

This interview makes me feel a little better about Milligan as the writer. Shadowman: End Times was a disaster, but I would like to see Milligan succeed. I am looking forward to this story. :hope:

krylox
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Armstrong

Post by krylox »

used to really like the vh1 ew and i'm very hopeful about the valiant by lemire. this mini, really sorry to say that, but looks rather generic and reads very "spreadpagish", like in: let's fill the pages with BIG images and make it look heavy so no one notices that the story is pretty light. the vibe i get from this is very acclaim, if you know what i mean.
however, this style was already established with pak's run, and it seems that milligan's carrying the torch now. before ew, he was exercising this new style of his on shadowman, which was probably my biggest vei dissaopintment, yet i really really used to love milligan's vertigo stuff. and his x-force. but he never felt confortable with more straight-up adventure/superhero stuff, and it shows, again.

pity.
such a fantastic character with (literally) alsmost endless story opportunities, should be gold in a capable writer's hands.

why isn't dysart just writing the majority of vei's output. I'm sure his ew would toally rule. in fact, #dysartoneverything would probably be the solution for, well, everything (well, maybe, except for the poor sales).

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

FormerReader wrote:

This interview makes me feel a little better about Milligan as the writer. Shadowman: End Times was a disaster, but I would like to see Milligan succeed. I am looking forward to this story. :hope:
I am wary too, but hope the isolated time-point will make continuity gaffes less likely.

I also hope that Milligan does not take it upon himself to fix the character, because I certainly don't want to see a repeat of End Times.

I do like the logo though! :thumb:

PURE SPECULATION ALERT:

After the *SQUEE* that some of us felt End Times was (well me at least, and some others I guess), could VEI have now rolled Milligan away from Shadowman?

Is it possible that this is a way of ensuring he got an agreed amount of work? Especially as it does not sound like he was brought aboard with this in mind based on this quote:
At first I really didn't see the point of me writing about Gilad.
Last edited by leonmallett on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:35:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

jaden_sai

Post by jaden_sai »

leonmallett wrote: PURE SPECULATION ALERT:

After the *SQUEE* that some of us felt End Times was (well me at least, and some others I guess), could VEI have now rolled Milligan away from Shadowman?

Is it possible that this is a way of ensuring he got an agreed amount of work? Especially as it does not sound like he was brought aboard with this in mind based on this quote:
At first I really didn't see the point of me writing about Gilad.
That makes sense to me, because I remember hearing how Milligan had more plans for Shadowman not just End Times and that seems to be gone now...
When do we finally get to see you return to a Valiant ongoing? You've done a few of these miniseries now!

When the time and the character is right. I have to say, I enjoy working with Valiant and am very fond of the people there.
And this seems to stay, after this mini-series, there's currently nothing lined up

Magnus9178
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz

Post by Magnus9178 »

lorddunlow wrote:

+1

VEI always has a plan, even with Shadowman Milligan left that story exactly where VEI wanted him to. I have no doubt that what Milligan is going to do with Gilad will fall exactly within what VEI has planned for the character.

Which that said, I'm still disappointed that Pak is no longer with Valiant...

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Magnus9178 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

+1

VEI always has a plan, even with Shadowman Milligan left that story exactly where VEI wanted him to. I have no doubt that what Milligan is going to do with Gilad will fall exactly within what VEI has planned for the character.
That could have been said about Justin Jordan's run on Shadowman, yet the Milligan era seemed to be an effort to fix that, right?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

My personal thought is "VEI knows exactly what they are doing*"

*except where Shadowman is concerned.

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

Keith wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
That's where I'd expect Arbona to come in and make things synch up with both past and future plans.
You would hope so .. but we have already seen them fail at continuity with EW already

The Best Idea Win's is a cool policy .. but only works if that best idea fits in with the best ideas of the past. Its hard to stay interested in a character when the continuity is all over the place.

The talking Crow Geomancer is very much out of left field. As far as I know, Geomancers have always been human. This feels very Vertigo/Sandman-esque. It would be cool if it was a human Geomancer who is super powerful who is able to communicate to Gilad through the crow and various other animals and living things.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

bygranddesign wrote: The talking Crow Geomancer is very much out of left field. As far as I know, Geomancers have always been human. This feels very Vertigo/Sandman-esque. It would be cool if it was a human Geomancer who is super powerful who is able to communicate to Gilad through the crow and various other animals and living things.
First of all - WTF?!

Secondly, I will only go along with this idea if your last statement is how it works. That crap is seriously messed up.

facepalm

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

bygranddesign wrote:
Keith wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
You would hope so .. but we have already seen them fail at continuity with EW already

The Best Idea Win's is a cool policy .. but only works if that best idea fits in with the best ideas of the past. Its hard to stay interested in a character when the continuity is all over the place.

The talking Crow Geomancer is very much out of left field. As far as I know, Geomancers have always been human. This feels very Vertigo/Sandman-esque. It would be cool if it was a human Geomancer who is super powerful who is able to communicate to Gilad through the crow and various other animals and living things.
Hopefully it is simply an instrument of a human Geomancer.

More importantly, does Gilad sulk and and seperate from the Geomancer-du-jour every millennium or so? :?

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

leonmallett wrote:
More importantly, does Gilad sulk and and seperate from the Geomancer-du-jour every millennium or so? :?
Yep.. completely agree. :(

Please bring back to me the mindless weapon for the Earth that he was in the A&A arc. I think FVL's depiction of him has been far superior than any other version that has been presented so far in VEI.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

bygranddesign wrote: The talking Crow Geomancer is very much out of left field.
I can actually live with this. I don't mind the title taking a little more spiritual turn. So long as the focus is on a good story written about Gilad and his role as the Fist and the Steel I can forgive some things.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

Brilliant! I cannot wait. I may be the minority, but I have enjoyed all the EW issues thus far. A&A and Q&W have gotten so incredibly insipid that I can't imagine VEI hasn't deep-sixted those yet. Drop those two boat anchors and make EW a monthly again.