Shadowman: End Times #2 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Shadowman: End Times #2 Discussion

Post by kjjohanson »

Oh that's right; there was another book out this week (which I haven't read yet)
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Shadowman: End Times #2 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

This issue was terrible.

Are we just supposed to forget that Jack met Josiah in Deadside?

How stupid was that pile of cars?

Why isn't Jaunty speaking funny any more?

Why is Jack so *SQUEE* at his father? Because he had a *SQUEE* childhood? Act like a *SQUEE* adult for gods sake...the guy fought Master Darque and gave up his family to help you.

I just don't get anything that Milligan is doing here. I thought he was starting to turn the book around while maintaining the continuity that cam before, but now it seems like he's just force feeding plot points into the book and it reads like crap.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

spiderland
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by spiderland »

Yeah this new direction is a total mess. The car monster thing made me laugh out loud.

The only thing I enjoy about Milligan's new direction is the Punk Mambo. Give her the loa and then we'd have a book.
Plastic & Wire is my Art & Comics blog.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I hate to say it, but "meh". I've been rooting for this book to succeed, but I'm not happy about the characters devolving into one dimensional cliches. Jack really needs to put on his big boy pants and suck it up.

There may be a lot more to the story but it's not being conveyed effectively.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Yeah, not crazy about this. #13 was so good. What is happening? It just gets worse with each issue.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Bummer, I come here to see how the new books are doing and I see this to tell u guys the truth I never liked the look of this new shadowman not nearly as cool as the og same for eternal warrior. If its not broke why try n fix it?
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

lorddunlow wrote:Yeah, not crazy about this. #13 was so good. What is happening? It just gets worse with each issue.
Maybe Milligan has been asked to just clean the slate. so he is just phoning it in.

valiantkurt
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by valiantkurt »

I was unable to get this issue yesterday. My local shop didn't have it, but it sounds like I didn't miss anything important. Still I hope they get it in next week.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

While the finished product certainly lacked some of the better examples of Valiant art and writing, I think it is still worth noting that we got:

- Josiah is definitely "alive" in some sense
- Deadside is still being shown as a variety of "levels" which require certain keys/people to cross
- A new character who keeps "one foot" on each side of two of the levels in Deadside
- Darque's condition at this point in the story (since it has been an unknown for months)

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

erwinrafael wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Yeah, not crazy about this. #13 was so good. What is happening? It just gets worse with each issue.
Maybe Milligan has been asked to just clean the slate. so he is just phoning it in.
then why not just kill Jack and move the spirit to someone new and reboot. Cause this looks less like a clean slate and more of a general lack of paying attention to everything in the past. I know Justin Jordan didn't exactly flesh out Jack very well but at no point did he come off as an anger driven withdrawn child. He met his father and clearly had no anger towards the man who was clearly trapped in the Deadside while Jack was a kid so there was no running away he was trapped that entire time. He clearly survived and decided not to come home after Jack made the choice.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I quite enjoyed End Times #1, but this was just bad. Despite introducing some cool concepts, Milligan failed to convey them with conviction. Also the art is terrible.

I hope Jordan gets another shot at Shadowman, perhaps as a reboot, clean slate with a Shadowman post Jack cos this incarnation isn't going anywhere.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Although there were some drawbacks, I liked the issue. The car-pile representation of Josiah seems silly, but perhaps each one represents a wrecked life he caused (perhaps even literally in a car wreck) just as Helena was killed. And okay, Jaunty seemed out of character a bit.

I like that we saw Samedi again, and Darque. I like that we learned about Voodoun, a level between our world and deadside. I liked the crossroads and the one-legged man.

Not sure I understand the dislike of Jack's motivations. He learns a father he revered abandoned his family, leaving them on the run and ultimately with the death of his mother. And now he knows that his father is still alive. I can understand his hurtful anger. (Although I can't say I remember when he met Josiah in Deadside, help me out here. So yeah, maybe a continuity issue there)

The art wasn't RDT but it worked. I dunno, my gut reaction was that I liked the issue.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I quite enjoyed End Times #1, but this was just bad. Despite introducing some cool concepts, Milligan failed to convey them with conviction. Also the art is terrible.

I hope Jordan gets another shot at Shadowman, perhaps as a reboot, clean slate with a Shadowman post Jack cos this incarnation isn't going anywhere.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:The car-pile representation of Josiah seems silly, but perhaps each one represents a wrecked life he caused (perhaps even literally in a car wreck)
Soo tempted to make an analogy between the 21-car pileup imagery and the direction of this book overall...

I seriously hate to say that. I want to enjoy this book so much more than I am, and I absolutely prefer to only post positive commentary or constructive criticism in general.

There are plenty of great elements to like about the book since Milligan took over. Punk Mambo. The new aspects of the Shadowman Loa mythos, it being cast out of a voodoo pantheon, the other Loa spirits like Tremble...

And this issue of End Times had many individually cool facets & tidbits - I liked seeing Darque on the post at the end, I thought Leggy was a really cool new character, and the further exploration of how the Deadside works (except the bit about losing years off Jacks life the longer he stays - was that a new arbitrary fact this issue, or am I being forgetful?)...

But the sum feels like less than the parts, somehow. I can't quite put a finger on why, but partly I think it's that a lot of the characterization feels forced. I just don't buy the Jack & Alyssa being in love part, even though it makes sense for it to have happened - I think I would have believed it more if it had occurred during JJ's run - there was an electric spark of instant energy & chemistry between them in the earliest issues that I liked, it felt like it would be a natural progression for them to fall in love. But that isn't being portrayed the same now. There is a lack of true emotional expression, it seems like we keep having to read the same status quo, wooden statements repeated every issue about how everyone is feeling about themselves & each other.

And again, I hate to criticize, but maybe the art is also not contributing enough to an effective conveyance of the storytelling here. I'm still onboard with no intention of dropping the book, but I feel like it is still struggling to fire on all cylinders. :(
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

jmatt wrote:
Not sure I understand the dislike of Jack's motivations. He learns a father he revered abandoned his family, leaving them on the run and ultimately with the death of his mother. And now he knows that his father is still alive. I can understand his hurtful anger. (Although I can't say I remember when he met Josiah in Deadside, help me out here. So yeah, maybe a continuity issue there)
For me personally, it just comes off as whiny and forced "drama" and "angst" and none of it lines up.

In issue #1 page 1 it's shown Josiah leaving to fight Darque and Jacks mom telling him not to bother coming back to her if he survives. So who abandoned who?

Other parts include that Jack after learning his parents were "criminals" (this could've been falsified information that Jordan was going to pick up on later), didn't give a crap afterwards about his parents. He wasn't cut up about not knowing them more or anything. He didn't give a crap at all about his dad again until Milligan retconned it in to to build up the idea that Josiah was "the greatest Shadowman" and to pull off the shock of him being alive still.

That all said, this depends entirely on the fact that the Loa has lied about absolutely everything.
grendeljd wrote: But the sum feels like less than the parts, somehow. I can't quite put a finger on why, but partly I think it's that a lot of the characterization feels forced. I just don't buy the Jack & Alyssa being in love part, even though it makes sense for it to have happened - I think I would have believed it more if it had occurred during JJ's run - there was an electric spark of instant energy & chemistry between them in the earliest issues that I liked, it felt like it would be a natural progression for them to fall in love. But that isn't being portrayed the same now. There is a lack of true emotional expression, it seems like we keep having to read the same status quo, wooden statements repeated every issue about how everyone is feeling about themselves & each other.
(

I've always felt that the relationship was going to happen eventually if Jordan had been able to stick around but I agree this feels forced and uncomfortable.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:The car-pile representation of Josiah seems silly, but perhaps each one represents a wrecked life he caused (perhaps even literally in a car wreck)
Soo tempted to make an analogy between the 21-car pileup imagery and the direction of this book overall...

I seriously hate to say that. I want to enjoy this book so much more than I am, and I absolutely prefer to only post positive commentary or constructive criticism in general.

There are plenty of great elements to like about the book since Milligan took over. Punk Mambo. The new aspects of the Shadowman Loa mythos, it being cast out of a voodoo pantheon, the other Loa spirits like Tremble...

And this issue of End Times had many individually cool facets & tidbits - I liked seeing Darque on the post at the end, I thought Leggy was a really cool new character, and the further exploration of how the Deadside works (except the bit about losing years off Jacks life the longer he stays - was that a new arbitrary fact this issue, or am I being forgetful?)...

But the sum feels like less than the parts, somehow. I can't quite put a finger on why, but partly I think it's that a lot of the characterization feels forced. I just don't buy the Jack & Alyssa being in love part, even though it makes sense for it to have happened - I think I would have believed it more if it had occurred during JJ's run - there was an electric spark of instant energy & chemistry between them in the earliest issues that I liked, it felt like it would be a natural progression for them to fall in love. But that isn't being portrayed the same now. There is a lack of true emotional expression, it seems like we keep having to read the same status quo, wooden statements repeated every issue about how everyone is feeling about themselves & each other.

And again, I hate to criticize, but maybe the art is also not contributing enough to an effective conveyance of the storytelling here. I'm still onboard with no intention of dropping the book, but I feel like it is still struggling to fire on all cylinders. :(
Yeah, what the Canadian *SQUEE* said - I agree with all of that.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:Although there were some drawbacks, I liked the issue. The car-pile representation of Josiah seems silly, but perhaps each one represents a wrecked life he caused (perhaps even literally in a car wreck) just as Helena was killed. And okay, Jaunty seemed out of character a bit.

I like that we saw Samedi again, and Darque. I like that we learned about Voodoun, a level between our world and deadside. I liked the crossroads and the one-legged man.

The art wasn't RDT but it worked. I dunno, my gut reaction was that I liked the issue.
I believe its at the end of issue 3 when Jack and what's her name are trapped in Deadside. Jaunty leads him to Josiah, who is guarding a doorway in/out (I forget which) to prevent Darque from going through. Josiah traps the Loa and gives Jack the choice of keeping it or going home free. Jack chooses to keep the Loa and save what's her name and Josiah gives him his Gris-Gris and the staff.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by hunter_peterson »

I agree with what everyone else has said; the plot itself isn't terrible and the new characters/mythology additions are cool, but the book simply has no heart. For a story hinging on extremely strong feelings, I'm not feeling them. It all seems weirdly hollow.

I also agree that they should really just kill Jack off at his point- he's kind of a trainwreck. I totally advocate Alyssa becoming Shadowoman just because her internal conflicts about that could be fantastic and an easy case could be made for her being distantly related to the Bonifaces. But the current direction of the book is officially a mess again, and I'm not quite sure why.

I mean, for example, why the hell isn't Darque still attached to his machine that makes Eaters? He's instead in the Voudoun lands, not the Deadside proper, and attached to something else. Weird.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Gee, thanks! I think... ? :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Gee, thanks! I think... ? :lol:
:thumb:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

dornwolf wrote:He met his father and clearly had no anger towards the man who was clearly trapped in the Deadside while Jack was a kid so there was no running away he was trapped that entire time. He clearly survived and decided not to come home after Jack made the choice.
BugsySig wrote:Jaunty leads him to Josiah, who is guarding a doorway in/out (I forget which) to prevent Darque from going through. Josiah traps the Loa and gives Jack the choice of keeping it or going home free. Jack chooses to keep the Loa and save what's her name and Josiah gives him his Gris-Gris and the staff.
Ah, yes, that's it.
grendeljd wrote:(except the bit about losing years off Jacks life the longer he stays - was that a new arbitrary fact this issue, or am I being forgetful?)...
Yeah, that's new, and I'm not sure it's a good story element. Part of Shadowman's gig is that he can travel to Deadside. This twist kinda puts a crimp in that.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

An underwhelming issue for me on the whole, with elements that I thought were good and bad.

The good:
The art was fine for me, and the art-side of the storytelling was better for me than some of the RDLT stuff. De la Torre may be a 'better' artist in terms of technique, but I did find some of his stuff on Shadowman confusing in sequential story-telling terms.
The introduction of the one-legged keeper of the crossroads.
Expansion of the mythos.

The bad
The further forcing of hitherto unseen motivations upon Jack.
The apparent muddling of the books own continuity (this could still be explained next issue of course).
The reduction of the rapid acceleration of the Jack and Alyssa relationship to a plot device.
Punk Mambo; I still dislike the character.
That there is nothing in this mini series that could not have been covered as part of the ongoing series; the only justification is for marketing purposes/sales bump it seems, which in turn really does show that VEI's VALIANT Firsts initiative is really no different than what Marvel and DC do except in scale.

The indifferent
I was okay with the car wreck avatar of Josiah. Not sure it made sense except as a metaphor; I would rather have had something more motif based, but it could have been worse.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker

Post by kjjohanson »

leonmallett wrote:The bad
That there is nothing in this mini series that could not have been covered as part of the ongoing series; the only justification is for marketing purposes/sales bump it seems, which in turn really does show that VEI's VALIANT Firsts initiative is really no different than what Marvel and DC do except in scale.
I don't think was ever included as part of the "Valiant FIrst" initiative. But I agree that there wasn't a good reason to make this a mini rather than part of the ongoing. There's a lot of backstory involved here that doesn't really offer a good jumping-on point for new readers.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

kjjohanson wrote:
leonmallett wrote:The bad
I don't think was ever included as part of the "Valiant FIrst" initiative. But I agree that there wasn't a good reason to make this a mini rather than part of the ongoing. There's a lot of backstory involved here that doesn't really offer a good jumping-on point for new readers.
Good point about the VALIANT First not including this - my error.

But as you say, not a great jump-on point by any stretch.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

p-s manowar
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti, Kindt, Dysart
Favorite artist: Henry, Bernard, CAFU

Post by p-s manowar »

Don't know why Valiant made this a mini series instead of continuing the ongoing, hope there's more to this series, the 1st issue didn't have any boost in numbers and I think its Valiants biggest mistake title.