How do we get the Valiant Fans 10th anniv. special cover?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham
How do we get the Valiant Fans 10th anniv. special cover?

Post by bamaphilosopher »

Hey, Greg (or anyone else that knows),

Someone pointed out in another thread that there is a Valiant Fans 10th anniversary FCBD cover (or was it a Rai #1 cover? I forget, but I think it was a FCBD.).

Anyway, since it's for the board, how do we go about getting one? Someone (I think it was lord dunlow) asked on the FCBD covers thread, but I thought I'd ask it here to see if we could find out.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows!

bp
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: How do we get the Valiant Fans 10th anniv. special cover

Post by jmatt »

Just a heads up: I'll be offering free copies of last year's VFans.com issue to board members that don't already own one. Check in the Registered section during FCBD week.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Cool, thanks! Bugsy said he had some, too. That'd be great, I didn't realize there was one last year...I wasn't collecting VEI yet and hadn't found my way back to the boards.
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

bamaphilosopher wrote:Cool, thanks! Bugsy said he had some, too. That'd be great, I didn't realize there was one last year...I wasn't collecting VEI yet and hadn't found my way back to the boards.
It was an amazing mad scramble to make it happen just weeks before the release. I'll hook you up if Bugsy hasn't already done so.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:Cool, thanks! Bugsy said he had some, too. That'd be great, I didn't realize there was one last year...I wasn't collecting VEI yet and hadn't found my way back to the boards.
It was an amazing mad scramble to make it happen just weeks before the release. I'll hook you up if Bugsy hasn't already done so.
Back off Canadian Dunlow! I still have a dozen copies to unload! I saw him first! :mad:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Back off Canadian Dunlow! I still have a dozen copies to unload! I saw him first! :mad:
lol! :funnypost:

Thanks a million, Bugsy. Much appreciated to both you guys...like I said, I didn't even know there had been a Valiant fans FCBD issue last year.

I guess someone will eventually post how we get this year's copy? It'll be cool to have something to show my involvement with this site. This is a cool place and I pretty much visit every day now. I love the new VEI and that's re-excited me about this board.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

bamaphilosopher wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Thanks a million, Bugsy. Much appreciated to both you guys...like I said, I didn't even know there had been a Valiant fans FCBD issue last year.

I guess someone will eventually post how we get this year's copy? It'll be cool to have something to show my involvement with this site. This is a cool place and I pretty much visit every day now. I love the new VEI and that's re-excited me about this board.
My guess is Greg went ahead and ordered the 500 or 1000 copies necessary to get the personalized edition. They'll probably be stored in his VALIANT bunker next to Jim Shooter's brain.

Last year we needed 5000 and it was a mad scramble to get 10 members to agree to put up the cash for 500 books. Then we split them up by 50 and 100 in different regions before redistributing them again in smaller quantities to those who wanted them.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:

My guess is Greg went ahead and ordered the 500 or 1000 copies necessary to get the personalized edition. They'll probably be stored in his VALIANT bunker next to Jim Shooter's brain.

Last year we needed 5000 and it was a mad scramble to get 10 members to agree to put up the cash for 500 books. Then we split them up by 50 and 100 in different regions before redistributing them again in smaller quantities to those who wanted them.

It was a LOT of work as I was a recipient of one of the cases of 500. It was really exciting being involved in making it happen, though. And, I have one of the Diamond cases it came in.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

BugsySig wrote:

They saved Jim Shooter's brain? :o

Okay, sounds like it's a lot easier this year. No wonder they have like 45 different variants! Whew!

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

So we still haven't answered the question? How do I get my hands on a VF.com 10th Anniversary FCBD book? Heck, I even want one of these in CGC 9.8.....is that weird?!

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

bamaphilosopher wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

I wrote a fan-fic here on the board last June. The final chapter was inspired by the title "They Saved Shooter's Brain". I really had plans for that arc. I should pick up where I left off someday.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I'd be interested in getting both last year's and this year's.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

jmatt wrote:
bamaphilosopher wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

I wrote a fan-fic here on the board last June. The final chapter was inspired by the title "They Saved Shooter's Brain". I really had plans for that arc. I should pick up where I left off someday.
it would be pretty timely to do one based in the 4001 fan fic universe :lol:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:it would be pretty timely to do one based in the 4001 fan fic universe :lol:
That's around when my arc began. Spelunkers discovering the remnants of the VFans.com underground mausoleum / stasis chamber. It made more sense in the context of that entire thread, and was meant more as a punch line to events that came before. Please indulge my whimsy; I find myself editing it even now.

-----------------------------------
They Saved Shooter's Brain

Tuesday, January 14th, 4003, 3:13pm. An archaeological dig in the Antarctic Circle.

Winslow zipped his parka and pulled his goggles down before stepping from the thermalized tent. Mojica was waiting for him.

They had to yell over the howling wind. “We’re through?”

“The drilling team finally made contact. Just like the scans showed, it’s nearly four hundred feet deep. The lift will take us down but we’ll be on our own after that.”

--

It was a moment six years in the making. The Science Academy of Sector 12 shunned their repeated requests, but Winslow and Mojica were undaunted, finally securing the necessary funding from an anonymous private benefactor.

Four-hundred feet below the frozen surface, they stood on the apex of the granite dome buried deep in the arctic wasteland. Mojica engaged a molecular destabilizer and after twenty minutes, a three foot wide aperture appeared.

It was pin-drop quiet at this depth. Winslow dropped a chem-flare into the abyss. “Not that deep, I can still see it. Let’s descend.” Mojica nodded vigorously.

The pair secured themselves with fusing pitons and lowered themselves into the void.

--

Winslow and Mojica cautiously probed the perimeter, the only source of light streaming from their handheld flash-beams. The room was circular and cavernous. At regular intervals along the wall stood upright, stone sarcophagi, a name chiseled above each.

Mojica was giddy. “We’ve found it! I recognize some of these names from the ancient texts! This one is Dunlow!”

“There's no doubt about it, this is the chamber. But come take a look at this.”

At the center of the granite cathedral stood a singular pedestal. Examining a few controls, Winslow drew the courage and depressed one. A sphincter in the pedestal dilated. A glowing, liquid filled canister arose. Inside, attached to several feeder tubes was floating an upright human brain bathed in a yellowish glow.

Mojica brushed the dust off an ancient nameplate attached to the canister. He looked at Winslow.

“Who’s Paul Creddick?”

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

oh i remembered. just wanted to bring it up to try to get you writing again :D
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Heath wrote:I'd be interested in getting both last year's and this year's.
I'd be interested in getting Jim Shooter's brain.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Heath wrote:I'd be interested in getting both last year's and this year's.
PM me your addy. I'll send you last years. Just let me know how many you want :D

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

jmatt wrote:
“Who’s Paul Creddick?”
:funnypost:

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Intrepidxc wrote:So we still haven't answered the question? How do I get my hands on a VF.com 10th Anniversary FCBD book? Heck, I even want one of these in CGC 9.8.....is that weird?!
Nope. Guess we're all waiting to hear from Greg about this. I might pm him after FCBD if he hasn't already made an announcement.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

bamaphilosopher wrote:
Intrepidxc wrote:So we still haven't answered the question? How do I get my hands on a VF.com 10th Anniversary FCBD book? Heck, I even want one of these in CGC 9.8.....is that weird?!
Nope. Guess we're all waiting to hear from Greg about this. I might pm him after FCBD if he hasn't already made an announcement.
Well, here's the scoop (so far)... I ordered 750 of the ValiantFans.com 10th anniversary custom FCBD books.

Only 500 have been located. They were shipped to the wrong store, but that store contacted Diamond and got them shipped correctly.

Another box of 250 is likely "out there" somewhere, because I have boxes 2 of 3 and 3 of 3.
It doesn't seem like they would skip box 1 of 3 if they decided to print only 500, so... at this point... there are potentially 250 of these in someone else's hands.

I'm not sure what can be done (if anything) about one-third of these books being either lost or distributed completely separate from the original purpose.

I also haven't decided how to distribute these... but I'm thinking that it might be fun to use them as "reward books" for promoting Valiant.
Obviously, they aren't as cool as official Valiant gold books, but there could be some creative things that come out of having our own reward books.

Last year's books are readily available, and as far as I can tell, they didn't serve much purpose except being readily available.
It was awesome to have an official Valiant product with the ValiantFans.com logo on it last year... so that was special.

But, what would make this year's books special?

Not sure. Especially if there's a box of them that will be distributed (accidentally) by someone else.

:hm:

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

greg wrote:
Well, here's the scoop (so far)... I ordered 750 of the ValiantFans.com 10th anniversary custom FCBD books.

Only 500 have been located. They were shipped to the wrong store, but that store contacted Diamond and got them shipped correctly.

Another box of 250 is likely "out there" somewhere, because I have boxes 2 of 3 and 3 of 3.
It doesn't seem like they would skip box 1 of 3 if they decided to print only 500, so... at this point... there are potentially 250 of these in someone else's hands.

I'm not sure what can be done (if anything) about one-third of these books being either lost or distributed completely separate from the original purpose.

Not sure. Especially if there's a box of them that will be distributed (accidentally) by someone else.

:hm:
Those will be the ones that end up on ebay. :lol:

Seriously, thanks Greg. Now that I know we'll have to do something creative to promote Valiant for them, I guess my lazy butt is out of the running. :!:

:P

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:But, what would make this year's books special?
Burning 490 of them :?

Heath
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Valiant gives out the golds for supporting or promoting Valiant, right?

What about giving these Valiant Fans edition books out for supporting or promoting the board itself?

Start with a copy for everyone with more than 10k posts as a reward for keeping the board active? Oh, look at that, I have over 10k posts!
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Heath wrote:Valiant gives out the golds for supporting or promoting Valiant, right?

What about giving these Valiant Fans edition books out for supporting or promoting the board itself?

Start with a copy for everyone with more than 10k posts as a reward for keeping the board active? Oh, look at that, I have over 10k posts!
Thats not a bad idea, actually...even the 10,000 posts.

You could actually give one to every active member with a custom...how many of those could there be? :D

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Heath wrote:Valiant gives out the golds for supporting or promoting Valiant, right?

lol, you self-serving SQUEE. :P