Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps #16 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993
Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps #16 Discussion

Post by Spylocke »

Quite a bit to absorb with this one. We get some new recruits that make Granite, Superstar and Disciple look like The A-Team and not only see some new powers but their terrible effects. Super speed has never looked more horrifying.

Not very often does a super hero comic give me the feeling that anybody could die at any time. I get this feeling ten-fold from the new recruits. They're already in red so that's a little ominous. If movies and comics have taught me anything one of them will start talking about just paying off their house or getting married before getting Harada'd to death.

This new development with the implants is really interesting but indicates that characters won't last long.

I'm amazed at how this title has changed. Bloodshot wasn't even on my pull list but now it's up there with Harbinger and Archer and Armstrong as my favorite titles. It just shows that the addition of "& H.A.R.D. Corps" can make everything better.

Talisman
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Re: Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps #16 Discussion

Post by Talisman »

Spylocke wrote:Quite a bit to absorb with this one. We get some new recruits that make Granite, Superstar and Disciple look like The A-Team and not only see some new powers but their terrible effects. Super speed has never looked more horrifying.

Not very often does a super hero comic give me the feeling that anybody could die at any time. I get this feeling ten-fold from the new recruits. They're already in red so that's a little ominous. If movies and comics have taught me anything one of them will start talking about just paying off their house or getting married before getting Harada'd to death.

This new development with the implants is really interesting but indicates that characters won't last long.

I'm amazed at how this title has changed. Bloodshot wasn't even on my pull list but now it's up there with Harbinger and Archer and Armstrong as my favorite titles. It just shows that the addition of "& H.A.R.D. Corps" can make everything better.
I agree. The first few issues were phenomenal, but it just kinda went meh for me. Much like Shadowman did the further the series progressed. But ever since Dysart and Gage took over this book is all kinds of amazing.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Bloodshot having psiot abilities is so cool I can hardly stand it! :clap:

first_citizenx
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by first_citizenx »

I really feel that Bloodshot was sort of listing a bit and it was on the bottom of my Valiant read pile, but since the "Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps" rebrand, it's shot up to the top with X-O Manowar. The last few issues have been great!

I can't help but think that Harada is in for a MAJOR meltdown in the near future, what with his appearing in X-O Manowar, Unity, Harbinger and Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps! Heck, he even put in a cameo appearance in the most recent issue of Archer & Armstrong. Hopefully Bloodshot will be around for a piece of that action.

blujay
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2011

Post by blujay »

I think I'm the only optimist on this board, which is sad because I'm a hardcore pessimist.

I've been loving Bloodshot the whole way through, but I will say that this arc has really stepped it up. This book had so much in it, evil Johnny, new recruit (none of them are the people on the cover..seriously wtf?), foreboding secret mission for superstar and Harada v Bloodshot round 2..or is it 3?

Either way this book is awesome

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

4/5

Actually laughed aloud when Gunslinger became aware of Genius' 'condition.'

Also, we see a new Bloodshot power... his severed fingers can switch hands! facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

KXXX wrote:4/5

Also, we see a new Bloodshot power... his severed fingers can switch hands! facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm
awww, man...another editing mistake?
Spooooon!!!!

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

That's nothing! Didn't he switch severed arms back in Harbinger Wars?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

BOOM!

This book was more than I expected. Like everyone else, I have been loving what Gage and Dysart are doing with the story.

I figured that Johnny would rebel eventually (hello sentient cities) but I wasn't expecting him to go Frankenstein.

Also, I noticed Bloodshot has a "H.A.R.D. Corps" symbol on the back of his shirt. Guess that's his version of uniform, don't think he had that before.

Interesting new recruits, new abilities, looking forward to the big confrontation and seeing who lives to fight another day. Kozol keeps getting more slimy by the minute. Wonder what sort of sticky end he will meet? :)

This book was "gnarly"!
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Spylocke wrote:Not very often does a super hero comic give me the feeling that anybody could die at any time. I get this feeling ten-fold from the new recruits. They're already in red so that's a little ominous. If movies and comics have taught me anything one of them will start talking about just paying off their house or getting married before getting Harada'd to death.
An old title that gave me this feeling before was Strikeforce Morituri. That was an amazing unpredictable series.

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:

That's nothing! Didn't he switch severed arms back in Harbinger Wars?
yup....totally...
Spooooon!!!!

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

KXXX wrote:Also, we see a new Bloodshot power... his severed fingers can switch hands! facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm
I caught that, too. Also, Vagabond has the power to take his full goatee to five o'clock stubble in the span of one panel. Less noticeable than the finger switching hands, but still.

Like others have said, I am enjoying this book so much more with the injection of H.A.R.D. Corps. into the mix. It would have been the first title I dropped, but I stuck it out for HC and I'm glad I did.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Spylocke
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

Does anyone else think that Vagabond's name and top knot might be a shout out to Takehiko Inoue's manga or am I reading too much into it?

Aomalle27
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

Wow this book just keeps getting better. And just when I thought they couldn't top themselves they deliver this fantastic issue. I loved the introduction of the new team members. Seeing vagabond peeing in a corner was hilarious. A nice juxtaposition to the seriousness of the mission they're about to be sent on. And the Kozol character is developing nice complexities, I'm not sure if he's a car salesman, or a martyr. On the one hand he tries to sell the idea of Genius by first distracting Palmer with " you can't use that term, it's offensive" and then jumps into a spiel about vastly improving the kids life, and then as an aside throws in the bit about LEGALLY Genius had just enough IQ to sign the contract to enter the Hardcorps program, "made sure the lawyers cleared it", I think he's trying to convince himself as much as Palmer. And when Palmer read the file on genius, I couldn't wait og find out what was so bad when he said " No way, Kozol you and me outside", quickly flipped the page to find out what could be so bad, after all they had a drug addict and drunk.... Those new downloads that Bloodshot used, awesomely surprising, about the only thing I have a complaint about, The issue was too short. I got to the dual threat page of Harada about to F up Palmer, and Johnny/ Lysart about to do the same to Bloodshot, and just thought what? Over so quickly? Argh, now the long wait begins til Dec issue. 9.9/10. January will be great when Bllodshot moves to week 1 release status instead of week 3.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Flawless issue. Gorgeous art. Fast paced dense story. I'm stunned at how incredible this book is!

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

The Beyonder wrote:Flawless issue.
Okay, flawless might be the wrong term, considering there's apparently a finger that switches hands. Other than that, it's beautiful to look at, and excels at telling the story!

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

My favourite issue of the month, so much going on here!

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Love the team of Dysart and Gage. Amazing writing, and loving every word of it!
I might be in the minority here, and I didn't even realize the finger/different hand debacle, but even that aside, I'm not too big on Lupachina's (sp?) artwork. some pages were better than others, but for the most part, not feeling it too much. Sorry to say that.
I'm assuming this takes place before Harada has to take one of his slumbers, before the mind squall in the latest Harbinger issue?
Last edited by Bone-A-Fach-ee on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:38:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Love the team of Dysart and Gage. Amazing writing, and loving every word of it!
I might be in the minority here, and I didn't even realize the finger/different hand debacle, but even that aside, I'm not too big on Lupachina's (sp?) artwork. some pages were better than others, but for the most part, not feeling it too much. Sorry to say that.
I'm assuming this takes place before Harada has to take one of his slumbers, before the mind squall in the latest Harbinger issue?
I love Lupacchino's art everywhere else, but I HATE it in these Bloodshot issues. Everybody just looks... off or something. I can't quite place what the problem is.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways

Post by bygranddesign »

I wasn't blown away by this week's issues ... but this was probably my favorite comic this week. There is some really crazy stuff going on including demonic Johnny. Help me out here ... is Johnny - Goldie Boy?? ... and why is Johnny such a sadistic *SQUEE*?? WOW ..some sick *SQUEE* :o

We knew this day was coming ... that the nanites would gain sentience but didn't expect this sort of evil twisted character named Lysander. Not sure i dig the name ... but the character is definitely crazy cool. :thumb: The fact they he wants to free his brothers and sister nanites from bloodshot is pretty interesting.

From what I'm gathering is that Johnny is the mash up of dead soldier memories ... probably once these nanites were detached from Bloodshot and its programming or bloodshot's consciousness ... these "young" nanites finally granted freedom are going wild .. sort of like Lord of The Flies crazy. :hm:

I felt like the action was a bit jumbled and the art was sketchy in spots ... but strong overall. The ideas were great but the dialogue and narrative structure was not as stong - BS falling through the floors and stumbling right onto where Johnny is .. just seemed a little too cartoon-y.

Overall 7.8/10 :thumb:
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

lorddunlow wrote:
I love Lupacchino's art everywhere else, but I HATE it in these Bloodshot issues. Everybody just looks... off or something. I can't quite place what the problem is.
Her art feels very cartoon like which probably makes the violence seem more tame (and acceptable to some) perhaps ... but some of the violent edge that you would expect from a bloodshot issue is lost. I think its good for this stroyline .. but hoping that arc's to follow will have more of a violent edge to it and an artist that could better capture that..
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

bygranddesign wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Her art feels very cartoon like which probably makes the violence seem more tame (and acceptable to some) perhaps ... but some of the violent edge that you would expect from a bloodshot issue is lost. I think its good for this stroyline .. but hoping that arc's to follow will have more of a violent edge to it and an artist that could better capture that..
Not a fan of her art here, either. I just don't think it fits Bloodshot. It's too pretty. Everyone is pretty, the women pose sexually (see the first page with the new recruits - who crosses their legs and pushes out their chest to meet the commander - trust me, that is not a woman in a relaxed pose). Everyone looks to be the same age, too - skin is too smooth, etc. On the A&A arc she did, I didn't care for how she drew Archer, mainly because she drew him more like a 25 year old man rather than an older teen. The wider set of the jaw, the shoulders....all wrong for someone of that age. Too beefcake.

Her art does make the violence more palatable, but that may not be such a good thing. I think she's talented, but I think her style would work better on a happier, more glam book.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Another good issue. I agree on some of the comments about the art, but overall it is still above average.

Not sure what to think of the new recruits. I don't mind the disposable soldier concept, but if they are going to get killed off I hope we get a little bit of character development first so their deaths have some meaning to the reader.

Some thoughts:

Lysander is creepy as *SQUEE*.

Somehow Ion's "reap what you sow" comment is going to set Disciple off. Just wait.

Superstar and the others were sent for the Gen Zero kids...who are just going to start *SQUEE* *SQUEE* up when they get loose: Harada, Eggbreakers, HARD Corps, Bloodshot...don't matter. This will lead to the next arc where BS & HC have to bring the rogue Psiots back in :D
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

blujay
Valiant fan since: 2011

Post by blujay »

Spylocke wrote:Does anyone else think that Vagabond's name and top knot might be a shout out to Takehiko Inoue's manga or am I reading too much into it?
I actually thought that too, he is rocking a semi-samurai hair style

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So, Lysander:
I think Dysart is a Greek buff. I already posted my thoughts about Cronos possibly being inspired by the Greek titan in another thread, and Lysander was a Spartan general (actually not from Sparta) who turned the tide in the Peloponnesian War in which the shift of power in Greece went from Athens to Sparta. Lysander's victory was due to a combination of skilled diplomatic engagements with Persia, and he assured victory by starving Athens by seizing the Hellespont, the source of all of Athens' grain.

Methinks we will be seeing Lysander (Johnny, Goldie Boy, whatever) making an alliance with one of the faction in the Harbinger/Bloodshot corner of VEI (my bet is Cronos and the other gen zero kids) and somehow seizing a resource needed for all to survive in order to establish his own colony on Earth.

Just my theory.

Bloodshot is awesome.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.