Ininity - Marvel.... anyone ?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Ininity - Marvel.... anyone ?

Post by Knightt »

Anyone reading the recent Infinity storyline by Marvel ?

I am not so easily tricked into thinking that Marvel will not ultimately disappoint me at the end of the story but right now I am enjoying it and the related "Avengers" title as New Universe characters have emerged (even though it is a tie in set of issues, it ramped up very well, again brought back New Universe characters (Starbrand & Night Mask) the story is remaining solid for me). Most of the 'Summer Slams' that Marvel offers have left me disappointed; Civil War being the exception. This one may very well do so again but while I am positive it is a Marvel/Disney ploy to familiarize new Avengers fans (brought to the fold by the Avengers movie) to Thanos in anticipation of a possible movie villain in the future (he appears in the closing credits of the Avengers movie) but also wet Marvel fans for the Guardians of the Galaxy film scheduled for August 2014... I look forward to every issue.

Coming off the Thanos Rising mini-series (which I thoroughly enjoyed !!), it opened me up to the outer space side of Marvel that I never really got into but Infinity seems to be shaping up into this HUGE story (which will probably change NOTHING in the Marvel universe but hey, everybody gets to save the universe this month at Marvel).

After Infinity #1, the art spiked dramatically... in fact, Valiant could learn a lot from the quality art I have found in Infinity #2 and Infinity #3.

I know there is a lot of Marvel hate out there but I was curious as to what others were thinking about the Ininity mini-series.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Ininity - Marvel.... anyone ?

Post by lorddunlow »

Taking a short break from paperwork.

I'm abso-freaking-lutely loving the whole thing. I'm behind on this week's and last week's books, but overall I've loved every minute of it. I hope Marvel doesn't Marvel it up and make it suck, but I really feel this one might shake things up for real. I have very high hopes.

I jumped on the Avengers/New Avengers books only because of Hickman, but this Infinity thing has had me branching out like crazy into Marvel books. I've picked up Guardians of the Galaxy (which is fun, but not what I would say was a great book) and the Thanos Rising mini - which I agree was very enjoyable. Age of Ultron was not good at all, but I feel that it will be tying in soon. I'm actually considering grabbing some of the Ultimate line since it seems to be tying in (and if rumors are true the whole Ultimate universe will come to an end and some of the characters will end up in 616 - which would be cool). I'm really hoping they spin out a New Universe universe from this.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

It does not feel right for a Thanos story yet but I may be surprised.

Thanos does not need an army. Thanos is an army.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

I believe I have said it here before, Jonathan Hickman is the BEST writer in comics. I have been a fan since Nightly News and Pax Romana, his Fantastic Four run is a CLASSIC, and those who had started reading it and then quit will not understand it, you have to have read the whole thing. It's also part of the same ONE story that he's telling right now in Infinity and both Avengers titles.

I have been reading marvel since the 90s, when I started reading comics. Bendis' Daredevil is still my favorite all time run on a comic book, but I believe by the time Infinity is over, the "Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity" run will be my favorite thing I have ever read at Marvel. I really highly recommend picking up his Avengers and New avengers from the beginning, before you read Infinity, it's all ONE story and you are coming in the middle of it if you start with Infinity. And read all 3 books, it's one story, just like his Fantastic Four and FF were one story, if you only read one of them, you missed half of the point.

Also recommend Secret Warriors run, if you read the whole thing, it's brilliant.

And East West which is just ridiculous and amazing.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

paradise wrote:I believe I have said it here before, Jonathan Hickman is the BEST writer in comics. I have been a fan since Nightly News and Pax Romana, his Fantastic Four run is a CLASSIC, and those who had started reading it and then quit will not understand it, you have to have read the whole thing. It's also part of the same ONE story that he's telling right now in Infinity and both Avengers titles.

I have been reading marvel since the 90s, when I started reading comics. Bendis' Daredevil is still my favorite all time run on a comic book, but I believe by the time Infinity is over, the "Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity" run will be my favorite thing I have ever read at Marvel. I really highly recommend picking up his Avengers and New avengers from the beginning, before you read Infinity, it's all ONE story and you are coming in the middle of it if you start with Infinity. And read all 3 books, it's one story, just like his Fantastic Four and FF were one story, if you only read one of them, you missed half of the point.

Also recommend Secret Warriors run, if you read the whole thing, it's brilliant.

And East West which is just ridiculous and amazing.
QFT. I still need to finish the FF run. Just so much to read right now.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

If the quality on Infinity keeps up, it'll have been the best Marvel event I've read. The only part of the storyline I haven't liked (I'm only reading Infinity, Avengers, and New Avengers) is Avengers #18. Otherwise, everything has been stellar.

That said, I haven't really liked many Marvel events, so that doesn't say much......But this series has been top quality so far.

With all the raves about East Of West, I guess I'll finally check out the tpb. I had no intention of reading this title, due to my strong distaste for Dragotta's art, but the tpb is pretty cheap so I'll take a stab at it.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

Looking forward to reading all of this when it's collected. Heard so many good things about it, and I'm already a Hickman fan, so no-brainer. Got his FF omni coming next week, but I may hold off until the 2nd one is out so I can read it all together.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

paradise

Post by paradise »

dbngaa wrote:Looking forward to reading all of this when it's collected. Heard so many good things about it, and I'm already a Hickman fan, so no-brainer. Got his FF omni coming next week, but I may hold off until the 2nd one is out so I can read it all together.
Next week? Nice, can't wait to read those again. Also highly recommend Secret Warriors Omnibus. Fantastic run and totally ties into his FF and Shield series. Like I said it is ALL one story, we're just getting it pieces at a time
Edward

Savant

Post by Savant »

dbngaa wrote:Looking forward to reading all of this when it's collected. Heard so many good things about it, and I'm already a Hickman fan, so no-brainer. Got his FF omni coming next week, but I may hold off until the 2nd one is out so I can read it all together.
There are bits and pieces I didn't care for (One would be the first limited series), but, overall, Hickman's FF run is fantastic.

paradise wrote:
Next week? Nice, can't wait to read those again. Also highly recommend Secret Warriors Omnibus. Fantastic run and totally ties into his FF and Shield series. Like I said it is ALL one story, we're just getting it pieces at a time

Color me intrigued, but, aside from East of West, I'm also planning to get the Secret Warriors Omnibus.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Chiclo wrote:It does not feel right for a Thanos story yet but I may be surprised.

Only if he has the Cosmic Cube or all of the Infinity Gens in his gaunlet. Otherwise he would get his head handed to him by any number of various Marvel superheroes.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Chiclo wrote:It does not feel right for a Thanos story yet but I may be surprised.

Only if he has the Cosmic Cube or all of the Infinity Gens in his gaunlet. Otherwise he would get his head handed to him by any number of various Marvel superheroes.
Back in the 70's Thanos kept a lot of aliens around on the Arks. They acted like an army but in practice were more useful for melting or throwing out airlocks when Thanos wanted to make a point.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

X-O HoboJoe
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

BTW, how did Thanos and Starlord get out of the Cancerverse? I totally missed it. :?
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:BTW, how did Thanos and Starlord get out of the Cancerverse? I totally missed it. :?
We all did.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Cyberstrike wrote:

I beg to differ. Even without enhancements like the gems, cubes or Heart of the Universe, Thanos took Thor's hammer to the face and did not flinch. Then he shrugged off Ben Grimm's fist.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Hickman is the worst writer on Avengers in my 28 years of reading comics. His creator owned stuff is amazing, but I'd honestly rather smash myself in the face with a rock than read another Marvel title written by him. His Fantastic Four run was absolutely pointless and so drawn out that by the time it was over I had absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. I hung on for as long as I could so I could flip my runs on eBay, but I ended up just giving them to a friend when there seemed no end in sight. I think maybe the reason you like him so much Ed, is that you sell comic books for a living and a writer as hyped and overrated as Hickman who writes a 10-issue prelude to the story he's about to tell is good for business.

(just messing with you, dude....sort of... :D )

And for the record...I GET what he's doing. I UNDERSTAND. I've seen Tree of Life and Upstream Color. I've read Infinite Jest. I get deep and cerebral, thanks. And this isn't it. This is just...agony.

Comics are an ever-continuing story, but a writer that can't tell a story in a 6-issue arc that at least somewhat stands on it's own should not be writing comic books. There are other formats for that kind of storytelling. Ones that don't cost readers $3.99 for a 5-minute read that goes nowhere. Let's be honest....people read these books because CBR and news sites tell them that they're good and "deep" and "epic" and everyone wants on board. And we're told to stick around for 30 issues for the "payoff" that just gets changed back to the status quo by next writer's first issue. Dysart, Venditti, Waid and Peter David give us payoff every page.

Tim
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Also, for the record...East of West is outstanding and I kinda liked S.H.I.E.L.D, even.

paradise

Post by paradise »

i guess we'll agree to disagree, 'cause I prefer comics that are written long form, not chewed up into single $3.99 chunks and narrated to us on a basic level. I like ideas that remain confusing and make sense 6-12 issues into a storyline, the moments where you go "hey now that first storyline of Fantastic Four with multiple Reeds makes total sense". I don't need it to be simplified and overexplained. I like when I make my own conclusions and then there is a payoff a few months down the line where I am either wrong or right, but I love it either way. basically the same way I like my books and tv shows and many ohter things. Not episodic. The pilot of Shield (tv show) mattered in the last episode 7 years later, and plots continued that whole time.
Edward

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

To each his own, I guess, but I will contradict the following statement (at least in my personal case):
Tim wrote: Let's be honest....people read these books because CBR and news sites tell them that they're good and "deep" and "epic" and everyone wants on board. And we're told to stick around for 30 issues for the "payoff" that just gets changed back to the status quo by next writer's first issue.
I came to Hickman completely organically. I very seldomly follow writers/directors/etc. in any medium until I have enjoyed several of the creator's endeavors and then realized they are by the same creator. This is what happened for me with Hickman. Chiclo, Elveen, and others suggested Manhattan Projects and it immediately became my favorite book. I didn't even pay attention to who wrote it. I then saw the concluding panels to the Hickman run on FF that Lightning Strike posted on here and was blown away and asked what the panels were from. I was told Hickman's FF run. I started reading it, and so far I've loved it - and I really don't like FF at all in general. So when I heard he was doing Avengers I decided to try it solely because he wrote it. Both titles (and now Infinity) have become some of my favorites in my monthly pull. I enjoy each issue immensely as a single chapter in an epic story. I feel Hickman has the least decompression of any books that I read currently (I actually think X-O is the most decompressed title I read).

I definitely don't read Hickman for his reviews and praise on news sites - I've never read anything about him on any of those sites. I just love what he does. I have yet to read anything by Hickman that I didn't absolutely love.

There are lots of books people rave about on here that I tried and hated (Peter Panzerfaust for one). It doesn't mean they're wrong, it just means they like different stuff than I do.

Savant

Post by Savant »

Tim wrote:Hickman is the worst writer on Avengers in my 28 years of reading comics. His creator owned stuff is amazing, but I'd honestly rather smash myself in the face with a rock than read another Marvel title written by him. His Fantastic Four run was absolutely pointless and so drawn out that by the time it was over I had absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. I hung on for as long as I could so I could flip my runs on eBay, but I ended up just giving them to a friend when there seemed no end in sight. I think maybe the reason you like him so much Ed, is that you sell comic books for a living and a writer as hyped and overrated as Hickman who writes a 10-issue prelude to the story he's about to tell is good for business.

Tim wrote:Let's be honest....people read these books because CBR and news sites tell them that they're good and "deep" and "epic" and everyone wants on board. And we're told to stick around for 30 issues for the "payoff" that just gets changed back to the status quo by next writer's first issue. Dysart, Venditti, Waid and Peter David give us payoff every page.

Similar to lorddunlow, I didn't discover Hickman from news sites or anything. I read a little bit of hype on message boards about his FF run, decided to buy a tpb to try it out, and I liked it. I then collected the majority of the run as it came out. There were segments I didn't like (Especially the first limited series), but, overall, it's a fun and engaging storyline.

And I've enjoyed Infinity far more than his FF run.......Different strokes.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

So far, I'm liking Infinity. This is my first big exposure to Hickman's work and while I think his early work on Avengers got off to a slow start, the pace and action have picked up nicely with this event. It does read as a giant epic, with the Avengers and New Avengers being integral parts of the story instead of mere filler tie-in material.

In stark contrast, Bendis with his first X-event, Battle of the Atom, is a train wreck. Faced with what should be one of the simplest, easiest decisions ever, the X-Men come off as being indecisive idiots, content to simply fight amongst themselves, past, present, and future.......*sigh*

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Wow, this thread took off without me. I like seeing the different views. I've never really followed a writer (weeeellll Shooter and Busiek *Atsro City*) but maybe it's something I should start taking note of as it makes a bit of sense to that "a artist" could continue to excell even at other titles. Take the FF for example... the only time I really followed them was the Ultimate Fantastic Four first 30(?) or so issues but if I'm enjoying the Infinity series, I might look for this guys other work. Interesting.

I like the deep thought provoking stories as well but I prefer the "clever" storyteller even more. Most of the Avengers books have done a good job of falling off the "wow that was stupid wagon" and couple that with the great (IMO) Dedato art, it's been a great pleasure for me.... Now add in how the books that Ed mentioned which have been this lead up to Infinity, THAT is something that I can get behind and feel my money is being well spent. I have a slew of Secret and New Avengers books to read and look forward to it. However, Ias much as I am enjoying this, where is the continuity? With the Infinity event, I would expect the world of Marvel to be feeling it from every direction, not just the titles with the word Infinity at the top of the cover. As tie ins usually do nothing for me (see Civil War, Planet Hulk), how are the other titles faring? Are they going on as usual or reacting with some cognizance as to what is going on with Infinity? I hate having these Summer Slams to have world (universe) shaking events and then when it's over (usually with some B or C list character being killed (see Civil War, Goliath)) the whole world goes back to normal. I mean how many hundreds of thousands were killed during the Fear Itself event and it's already been forgotten about.

I find characters like Wolverine and Spider-Man showing up in their own title(s), saving the world, and subsequently saving the world in the Summer Slam to be character over saturation and nie impossible to accomplish as well. I would think that characters like that would end up with some serious PTSD issues.

I highly recommend many of the books that have the word "Avengers" in the title. Even though there are more Avengers books than you can shake a stick at, I feel they are being taken care of with style.

I NEED to check out this East of West phenom that you are all talking about.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Knightt, I can't stand the FF usually, but Hickman's run is amazing.

As for repercussions in the rest of the Marvel Universe, my branching put to some other books and discussion on here, signs point to the end of Age of Ultron tying into this with, likely the end of the Ultimates universe with possible incorporation with the 616 universe. 616's Galactus is in the Ultimates universe right now wreaking havoc, and I see the New Avengers world's collapsing thing tying in heavily to this.

I was hesitant of Infinity after all of the Marvel event bashing that goes on around here, but I've never enjoyed reading a story in comics the way I've enjoyed this. Marvel has succeeded with me totally, as it has made me buy many other titles just to get more background and more information about what is going on.

As for East of West, it is soooooo cool. That's the best adjective. The book is just cool. Xiaolian is bad-*SQUEE*. Definitely check it out. The first TPB is available now.

Man, I love reading Hickman's stuff!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I just started EoW #1... gulp.

"call my name and..."

Color me interested so far.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Knightt wrote:I just started EoW #1... gulp.

"call my name and..."

Color me interested so far.
Just wait until #5...

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Knightt wrote:Wow, this thread took off without me. I like seeing the different views. I've never really followed a writer (weeeellll Shooter and Busiek *Atsro City*) but maybe it's something I should start taking note of as it makes a bit of sense to that "a artist" could continue to excell even at other titles. Take the FF for example... the only time I really followed them was the Ultimate Fantastic Four first 30(?) or so issues but if I'm enjoying the Infinity series, I might look for this guys other work. Interesting.

I like the deep thought provoking stories as well but I prefer the "clever" storyteller even more. Most of the Avengers books have done a good job of falling off the "wow that was stupid wagon" and couple that with the great (IMO) Dedato art, it's been a great pleasure for me.... Now add in how the books that Ed mentioned which have been this lead up to Infinity, THAT is something that I can get behind and feel my money is being well spent. I have a slew of Secret and New Avengers books to read and look forward to it. However, Ias much as I am enjoying this, where is the continuity? With the Infinity event, I would expect the world of Marvel to be feeling it from every direction, not just the titles with the word Infinity at the top of the cover. As tie ins usually do nothing for me (see Civil War, Planet Hulk), how are the other titles faring? Are they going on as usual or reacting with some cognizance as to what is going on with Infinity? I hate having these Summer Slams to have world (universe) shaking events and then when it's over (usually with some B or C list character being killed (see Civil War, Goliath)) the whole world goes back to normal. I mean how many hundreds of thousands were killed during the Fear Itself event and it's already been forgotten about.

I find characters like Wolverine and Spider-Man showing up in their own title(s), saving the world, and subsequently saving the world in the Summer Slam to be character over saturation and nie impossible to accomplish as well. I would think that characters like that would end up with some serious PTSD issues.

I highly recommend many of the books that have the word "Avengers" in the title. Even though there are more Avengers books than you can shake a stick at, I feel they are being taken care of with style.

I NEED to check out this East of West phenom that you are all talking about.

I posted this in the Are you a DC or Marvel fan thread
cyberstrike wrote:What I would love is for Infinity to be the last damn event crossover for Marvel for at least 5 years. I'm sick and tied of this "universe shake up" POS that last about damn month (if that) and all I see is another stupid Avenger title that feels old by the time the first issue is released to remind fans that AvX, Age of Ultron, and Infinity actually happened (I predict that Marvel will launch it's next title Avenegrs Infinity by years end) and I should at least and try to give a damn about it.

Well I, don't give a damn about Galactus being thrown into the Ultimate Universe and wanting to eat it, Angela now in the Marvel Universe and she's hanging out with The Guardians of the Galaxy or that there is an Avengers series about a bunch of new and third-rate robots and android super-heroes that I never did a crap about in the first place trying to prove that their not a bigger threat than the mutants of the Marvel Universe.

A few years ago I probably would have cared about at least 1 or maybe all them in the aftermath of Age of Ultron hell I might have even read Age of Ultron but I'm so burned out by Marvel pushing at least 5 major events (Age of Ultron, Infinity, Battle of the Atom, The Darkest Hour, and Cataclysm) this year and I should care about any of it when back in the 90s it took Marvel 3 years to do the orginal Infinty Gaunlet/War/Crusade and even stuff like Maxium Carnage that they were actually fun to read because they were mostly the comic book versions of a summer blockbuster movie and now it's five major and countless smaller ones and when most of this current stuff is just a bunch of writers and editors playing "top this" and thinking that I should actually give a damn about it. Again I don't give a damn and have no reason about a "status quo shake up" when from I've read and heard there is no status quo to shake up.

The books I like from Marvel and DC are mostly books that the writers and editors don't bother with putting in this crap thankfully Batwoman hasn't been involved in the Death of the Family, Trinity War, Forever Evil, nonsense and seems so far to stay out the equally stupid Zero Year and the very stupid-sounding Dark City arcs.

That is one reason I often said that I really enjoyed about X-Factor and that it was and still is the best book Marvel put out was because it was outside of this crap. This book hasn't been directly involved any of the Marvel event crap since Second Coming (and Peter David basically wrote it that the villain didn't even seem to care about killing them, and made it a glorified subplot that reunited the team), even with the Team Wolverine and Team Cyclops nonsense X-Factor seemed more like David commenting on this stupidity and making fun of it.

I want to care about the characaters and their universe and if you want to read a pair of great comic books that are gearing up for a status quo shake up that actually feels a major event and a big deal than look no futher than The Transformers: Robots In Disguise and The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye. And big difference between them and the Big 2 is that I do give a damn about it. Now it's no big secret that I'm probably the biggest Transformers fan here (and that some probably wished I would shut up about them) but in this case even if I hated the franchise and/or IDW, I would still give props to IDW for how they're handing the franchise and actually developed a real status quo to shake up and it took them almost 2 years to do it. Now IDW is gearing up for the second (or maybe the first depending on your POV) major Transformers crossover event called Dark Cybertron and I'm actually kind of looking forward to it because the last event major event storyline Chaos was about two years ago and that was comprised of one POS prequeal mini-series, one ongoing series that featured two different storylines and a single one-shot epiloge/prologue to help set up a new status quo. And then they did something kind of different these days: they gave each series 16 months to develop and set up and explore what the status quo of a post-war Cybertron was like and what the crew of starship The Lost Light were about and yes there have been some bad issues and a few lackluster arcs here and there and each series has it faults but now after almost two years I want to see this status quo shaken up and then see what happens next.

That is the kind of events that I want too see ones that don't happen ever month and last for 1-4 months that only set up the next one, the one that actually does shake up a real status quo and makes the event a real big deal. For me Marvel and DC have killed their events before they even begin while IDW has done it right The Transformers.

:rant:

I don't care who writes or draws Inifnity (or Age of Ultron, AvX, Battle of the Atom, or DC's Trinity War and Forever Evil) because of these status quo shaking events because in my opinion both Marvel Universe/Ultimate Marvel Universe and the New 52 DC don't have a status quo anymore. Also I am worn out by these pointless event/crossovers that always hyped up to "change the universe forever!" and the change only lasts what a month if that long. And it looks like thanks to dumb SOB Dan DiBio Batwoman will be involved in that stupid Zero Year/Dark City storyline.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!