Are you a Marvel, OR DC fan?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Are you a Marvel, OR DC fan?

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

When I was younger, and in my comics phase in the early '90's, I was all about Valiant.... and Image. Did I mention Ultraverse as well?
But when it came to the Big 2, I always leaned Marvel. New Warriors is my all time favorite. I also always liked Spiderman, and the whole X universe. Although, never got into anything Avengers related, or FF. They seemed too squeaky clean for me. But, I thought anything DC was just awful.
Now that I'm older, and the New 52 helped a lot, I'd say, I lean more towards DC (out of the Big 2). Although I like Hawkeye, and some standalone stuff from Marvel that doesn't really take place within continuity, I just can't get involved in how big the universe is, and how many different universes there happen to be now. Every crossover is a world changing cosmic event that just gets resolved, and everything is cool, like it never happened.
I really like how DC's New 52 is being fleshed out, and with artists like Greg Capullo, and Ivan Reis, DC not having quality art is a thing of the past.

Thoughts? Chime in!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Are you a Marvel, OR DC fan?

Post by lorddunlow »

Definitely a Marvel guy, then and now. As far as DC goes, I love Batman and Flash is okay, but not a big fan otherwise. Superman is a good character but I could never get into any of his books.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Marvel then and now. They have the down on their luck characters like spidey and daredevil that I can sympathize with. Dc being led by a billionaire playboy who can't be beat and a godlike being from another planet, not so much. I like the flash though.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

400yrs wrote:Marvel then and now. They have the down on their luck characters like spidey and daredevil that I can sympathize with. Dc being led by a billionaire playboy who can't be beat and a godlike being from another planet, not so much. I like the flash though.
Yeah, Spiderman is the most relatable character there is - at least for me. He loses almost as much as he wins and he's always struggling to have a normal life. Love Spiderman.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

My 1980s mainly focused on John Byrnes Xmen and McFarlane's Spiderman. However, I love Batman and was always a fan. I never felt the need to buy into a universe. I take what I like.

Today, I still read batman, but I scratch my head at the multitude of xtitles and spiderman.

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

I fell in love with comics with post Secret Wars Xmen and Spidey. So I've always been a marvel guy.
-Neil

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I started off reading Marvel and prefer it to this day. I tried getting into DC but never found them that accessible. I'm still confused to this day over who some of the characters are - there have been at least 3 characters named Flash I know of, but if I picked up a trade, is it Wally West? Barry Allen? Do I need to know who Jay Garrick is? Same thing with Green Lantern, whereas you can pick up a Wolverine trade and it's Logan. Or Iron Man is always Tony Stark. Always has been. I think Marvel characters have been more consistent with their identity. Granted, someone else has taken over the mantle at times (Bucky as Captain America, Superior Spider-Man) but I feel like Marvel has always been more clear about who their characters are.

Plus, DC has rebooted their entire universe four times (I believe - like I said, not much of a DC fan). Marvel may be convoluted at times, but they've never had to restart the whole thing four times.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Right now I would say I'm more of a DC fan because I'm buying 2 ongoing series that Batwoman and Stormwatch and a pair of six-issue mini-series Batman: Black & White, and Sandman: Overture that I want to buy and that I actually enjoy reading Batwoman and Stormwatch. From Marvel the only book I'm buying is Captain Marvel, I enjoy it but nowhere as much as Batwoman and Stormwatch. Marvel IMHO is desprate need of a Crisis on Infinte Earths level storyline and/or New 52 style serious reboot I hate the current mess that Marvel Universe is in right now and the only way to salvage it is blow it up and start fresh.

However I'm bigger fan of IDW because of the great Transformers comics that they are putting out right now and Image for publishing books like: Saga, Sex, Satilite Sam, Rocket Girl, East of West, Velvet, and Rat Queens hell even Dark Horse is better than Marvel and DC with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Cyberstrike wrote:Right now I would say I'm more of a DC fan because I'm buying 2 ongoing series that Batwoman and Stormwatch and a pair of six-issue mini-series Batman: Black & White, and Sandman: Overture that I want to buy and that I actually enjoy reading Batwoman and Stormwatch. From Marvel the only book I'm buying is Captain Marvel, I enjoy it but nowhere as much as Batwoman and Stormwatch. Marvel IMHO is desprate need of a Crisis on Infinte Earths level storyline and/or New 52 style serious reboot I hate the current mess that Marvel Universe is in right now and the only way to salvage it is blow it up and start fresh.
I'm getting the feeling Infinity may end up being pretty universe altering. Unless they put everything back like nothing happened as they tend to do.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

lorddunlow wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:Right now I would say I'm more of a DC fan because I'm buying 2 ongoing series that Batwoman and Stormwatch and a pair of six-issue mini-series Batman: Black & White, and Sandman: Overture that I want to buy and that I actually enjoy reading Batwoman and Stormwatch. From Marvel the only book I'm buying is Captain Marvel, I enjoy it but nowhere as much as Batwoman and Stormwatch. Marvel IMHO is desprate need of a Crisis on Infinte Earths level storyline and/or New 52 style serious reboot I hate the current mess that Marvel Universe is in right now and the only way to salvage it is blow it up and start fresh.
I'm getting the feeling Infinity may end up being pretty universe altering. Unless they put everything back like nothing happened as they tend to do.

:rant:

What I would love is for Infinity to be the last damn event crossover for Marvel for at least 5 years. I'm sick and tied of this "universe shake up" POS that last about damn month (if that) and all I see is another stupid Avenger title that feels old by the time the first issue is released to remind fans that AvX, Age of Ultron, and Infinity actually happened (I predict that Marvel will launch it's next title Avenegrs Infinity by years end) and I should at least and try to give a damn about it.

Well I, don't give a damn about Galactus being thrown into the Ultimate Universe and wanting to eat it, Angela now in the Marvel Universe and she's hanging out with The Guardians of the Galaxy or that there is an Avengers series about a bunch of new and third-rate robots and android super-heroes that I never did a crap about in the first place trying to prove that their not a bigger threat than the mutants of the Marvel Universe.

A few years ago I probably would have cared about at least 1 or maybe all them in the aftermath of Age of Ultron hell I might have even read Age of Ultron but I'm so burned out by Marvel pushing at least 5 major events (Age of Ultron, Infinity, Battle of the Atom, The Darkest Hour, and Cataclysm) this year and I should care about any of it when back in the 90s it took Marvel 3 years to do the orginal Infinty Gaunlet/War/Crusade and even stuff like Maxium Carnage that they were actually fun to read because they were mostly the comic book versions of a summer blockbuster movie and now it's five major and countless smaller ones and when most of this current stuff is just a bunch of writers and editors playing "top this" and thinking that I should actually give a damn about it. Again I don't give a damn and have no reason about a "status quo shake up" when from I've read and heard there is no status quo to shake up.

The books I like from Marvel and DC are mostly books that the writers and editors don't bother with putting in this crap thankfully Batwoman hasn't been involved in the Death of the Family, Trinity War, Forever Evil, nonsense and seems so far to stay out the equally stupid Zero Year and the very stupid-sounding Dark City arcs.

That is one reason I often said that I really enjoyed about X-Factor and that it was and still is the best book Marvel put out was because it was outside of this crap. This book hasn't been directly involved any of the Marvel event crap since Second Coming (and Peter David basically wrote it that the villain didn't even seem to care about killing them, and made it a glorified subplot that reunited the team), even with the Team Wolverine and Team Cyclops nonsense X-Factor seemed more like David commenting on this stupidity and making fun of it.

I want to care about the characaters and their universe and if you want to read a pair of great comic books that are gearing up for a status quo shake up that actually feels a major event and a big deal than look no futher than The Transformers: Robots In Disguise and The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye. And big difference between them and the Big 2 is that I do give a damn about it. Now it's no big secret that I'm probably the biggest Transformers fan here (and that some probably wished I would shut up about them) but in this case even if I hated the franchise and/or IDW, I would still give props to IDW for how they're handing the franchise and actually developed a real status quo to shake up and it took them almost 2 years to do it. Now IDW is gearing up for the second (or maybe the first depending on your POV) major Transformers crossover event called Dark Cybertron and I'm actually kind of looking forward to it because the last event major event storyline Chaos was about two years ago and that was comprised of one POS prequeal mini-series, one ongoing series that featured two different storylines and a single one-shot epiloge/prologue to help set up a new status quo. And then they did something kind of different these days: they gave each series 16 months to develop and set up and explore what the status quo of a post-war Cybertron was like and what the crew of starship The Lost Light were about and yes there have been some bad issues and a few lackluster arcs here and there and each series has it faults but now after almost two years I want to see this status quo shaken up and then see what happens next.

That is the kind of events that I want too see ones that don't happen ever month and last for 1-4 months that only set up the next one, the one that actually does shake up a real status quo and makes the event a real big deal. For me Marvel and DC have killed their events before they even begin while IDW has done it right The Transformers.

:rant:
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

I was DC, very much so, for over 30 years. Now I buy just 3 DC books (one of those is a Vertigo title), and my Marvel purchases are basically a few Avengers books and the Ultimate line.

My turn away from DC is the tone of their titles under the Didio stewardship, which for me (but not others I accept) has seen a true downturn into a mess with the new 52 relaunch which was badly handled. they should have just gone the whole way as a hard reboot. The writers were unclear as to what was in or out, so that actually hamstrung their project.

Marvel has basically worn me down with event piling into event (much like DC), but at least without the reboot (although I have yet to finish Age of Ultron of course...). When i get caught up on Marvel it may be enough to turn me off, and the writing is pretty much on the wall for the Ultimate Comics line.

I buy a few Image titles, and will be picking up the Archie red Circle stuff when it resumes.

So ultimately, by years end VEI will very likely be the line that I buy most discrete titles from each month (stipulating that way due to Marvel's double-shipping months).
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

I always leaned Marvel...

When I had a chance to lean.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I was firmly a Marvel fan. 10 years ago, I had a handful of non-Marvel books in my collection and exactly one DC comic.

Today, I lean more towards Marvel than DC but I think I am withdrawing from being a Marvel guy.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

I grew up a Marvel fan. It wasn't until DC's COIE maxi-series that I went from a casual DC reader to a regular reader. I still like Marvel more with characters like Cap, Thor, DD, Avengers, X-Men and the FF, but I also like Batman, Nightwing, Tim Drake (pre-new 52), Wally West, Jay Garrick, the JSA, JLA and LOSH too. Outside of Snyder's Batman, I don't really care for the new 52. I still read the books out of my love for the characters, but I wish DC hadn't hit the reboot button.

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Marvel. But VEI first :headbang:

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

A Marvel fan through and through, being a big Avengers fan and a huge X-fan.

DC was kinda hit-or-miss while growing up. Liked the Flash and Superman. When CoIE hit, started paying a little more attention to DC. But when Bendis began his tenure at Marvel, taking over the Avengers, I read more and more of DC. I still kept up with my favorite heroes such as Iron Man, Thor, and Daredevil, kept an eye on the X-titles but I couldn't stand Bendis on any Avengers book.

So I read a variety of DC titles, from the Superman Family of books, Flash, Robin (love Time Drake), GL, Teen Titans, a huge Legion fan, and the various Crisis events of the last decade or so. Morrison was too esoteric for me on the Batman books.

But the New 52 killed my interest in DC. Nu52 was a relaunch, not a true reboot. They cherry-picked what they wanted to keep instead of starting over completely fresh. My DC list dwindled considerably then they cancelled Legion in favor of a another Justice League title. That was the last straw for me so I've forsaken all of DC for the moment.

As for Marvel, I'm enjoying (for the most part) the resurgence of the Avengers sans Bendis. Yeah, all the events are wearisome but I still follow my favorite Marvel heroes. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that Bendis doesn't destroy/violate as much X-canon as he did for the Avengers. :hope:

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I was a Spider Man fan as a little kid after seeing him on TV shows and such. Then I discovered comics and collected him when they started Web of Spider Man. Then in high school I got sucked into the angst of the X-Men when Fall of the Mutants happened. Stayed addicted to all things X until I found Valiant.

I still prefer Marvel over DC in general, but I loved Geoff Johns Green Lantern run, and the Knightfall and Death of Superman storylines were cool. Too many reboots since then to keep me happy.

I'll stick with just Valiant for now, with an occasional side helping of Hickman's Avengers books because they have Starbrand and Nightmask from the old New Universe stuff.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

Phoenix8008 wrote: I still prefer Marvel over DC in general, but I loved Geoff Johns Green Lantern run, and the Knightfall and Death of Superman storylines were cool. Too many reboots since then to keep me happy.
Johns' GL run was/is fantastic!
Phoenix8008 wrote:I'll stick with just Valiant for now, with an occasional side helping of Hickman's Avengers books because they have Starbrand and Nightmask from the old New Universe stuff.
Hickman's Avengers books are really cool. Hickman is one of my favorite writers so I buy anything he's attached to.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

My very first memories of being a fan of anything related to superheroes go back to the days of ol' Filmnation cartoons: Batman and Robin, Aquaman, Superfriends. A little later I was starting reading comics, but...

I properly got into comics via Marvel, many moons ago, in the mid to late 80's. DC- and despite Batman being a fan favourite even among Marvel kids, was always seen as the "old man's books" company.
Their heroes always felt too "old school" for me, the exception of course, Batman. I saw DC heroes as "hands-in-the-waist, caped, smiling to the children... in one word, LAME as *SQUEE* for a 11 year old.

But I DO remember Wolfman & Pérez Teen Titans book being very successful because we felt it was just like a Marvel book (the theme of "heroes and their troubled personal relationships").

So, despite Batman being my Absolute favourite superhero, I think I would have to call myself a Marvel guy, if at gun point. Simonson's Thor, Claremont's X-Men, Miller's Daredevil, Romita's Spiderman... These were the books that showed me how wonderful superhero books could be. That was until I read TDKR, Year one, Long Halloween, Arkham Asylum, Knightfall saga, and all of the good Batman stuff post Miller (and before Miller there's the O'Neill/Adams run, Engleheart/Rogers run), not to mention Watchmen, Sandman, and so many other great stuff that changed how funny books are written.
So, in my early twenties I was starting to be a "I just care for the story- and if Jim Lee's drawing, *SQUEE*, I don't even care about the story". I still remember my friend who used to borrow me comics in college giving me the " *SQUEE*, you have bad taste too!" when I asked him for more copies of Wild C.A.T.S. facepalm

Fast forward to new 52 in 2011: I have every Wayne Bat-book added on my pullist, plus Justice League- JIM LEEEE! So, i'm into collecting again. Then Marvel is putting out 3 magnificent series (Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny X-Force and Wolverine & The X-Men) which I add to my pull list, aswell. Despite some awful stuff ('Tec, The Dark Knight) my pile of comics was very good, at least to me.

Then Marvel NOW came, Gilen's run ended- after months of being sodomized by that stupid crossover, AvX- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, EVERYONE IS AN AVENGER. I Cant friggin' stand it when another "isert-adjective" Avengers book is announced these days. So I cut ALL of my Marvel books from my list, zero. I had been tempted to get Daredevil and Hawkguy but I'm more on a "*SQUEE* CURRENT MARVEL- IT SUCKS!!!!!!" KINDA MOOD.

As for DC, after a year or so of the New 52, things got suckier. Of the 5 Batman books I was getting, 2 were great, the rest... not so great. But what bothered me more is the work that these guys did NOT put into the relaunch and making sure that the books were well connected and made SENSE! So, I'm now down to Batman by Snyder and Cappulo and 'Tec by Layman and Fabok.

Moral of the story: I came- into comic collecting- for the New 52, but stayed because of last year's Summer of Valiant.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

DC here. But I don't really buy that many titles on a regular basis from the big 2 that much anymore. Actually, the only current marvel title I pick up consistently are the Wizard of Oz adaptations by Skottie Young and Eric Shanower that I read with my daughter. Over the last month or so, I had to significantly cut back on the books that I am getting each month. So the Marvel books had to go. For some reason the Marvel Now stuff just seems like its unimportant. The only book that I really enjoyed was Captain America, now I will just wait for the trade on that one.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

I had not read enough Marvel yet to decide.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I've always leaned slightly to the Marvel side. If you include Vertigo i'm probably more DC though.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

As has been documented previously, I did not grow up reading comic books and was brought into the game by Valiant.

In about 99% of what I know about comic books I was taught here. In fact, there were a bunch of threads what I was asking for suggestions of what to read next. here are a re few of them...

So what should I read next?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14892&hilit=what+should+i+read+next" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What TPBs to get next?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23494&hilit=what+should+i+read+next" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok.... what to read next? You decide
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24284&p=514812&hili ... xt#p514812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A quick skimming looks like more DC than Marvel. These were things suggested by comic dudes here. Not sure what that means, but it is what it is. (lots of Batman stuff on the suggestion lists)

One perspective I can share on the Marvel v. DC debate is from a con dealer's perspective. For me, it is not close. There is much more demand for DC back issues and current books than Marvel books. Now, of course Marvel does have Spidey, Venom, and Deadpool, but the DC draw seems to be much more, mostly from Batman and characters connected with him.

As to what I am, I'm a Valiant guy and an Image guy. In fact the only current books I'm reading are Valiant and Image (TWD, Chew, East of West, Saga)

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

I'm pretty much valiant and image guy as well. I do have one Marvel title on my pull list. It's Dexter so I really don't think it counts as I'd read it regardless of who published.

I'm really not into the whole superhero thing as presented by Marvel and DC. I like the uniqueness of the Valiant line and love books such as Lost Vegas, Ten Grand, Lazarus, and Manhattan Projects from Image.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Someone touched on this earlier, that if you count Vertigo, then I'm definitely a DC guy. I do like a lot of the Vertigo stuff. And when I was a kid, I was not into Batman at all, but now that I'm older, the new 52 Batman is definitely for me, and going back and reading classic storylines has definitely given me a new appreciation for the bat.
For Marvel, all I'm really reading from them at the moment is Nova, and All New X-Men. Checking out Battle for the Atom, just because it involves ANXM, but waiting til the end of the run to read it all, instead of waiting for it all to come out.
So, 2 titles for Marvel, and currently still reading Animal Man, Batman, some Vertigo, and lots of back issues from DC.
But yes, Valiant is completely my bread and butter, the best of the best. Because I like reading ALL of their comics!