The Most Important Comic Character Since Wolverine

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

mrozisik
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Harbinger
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Re: The Most Important Comic Character Since Wolverine

Post by mrozisik »

cable
deadpool
spawn
kyle rayner
tim drake
"oracle"

and for my money, MVP is:

JOHN CONSTANTINE
-----------------------
Please check my CAF Gallery:

http://cafurl.com?i=19651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Brother Darque wrote:Spawn.

I would argue that Spawn is only of minor interest to the hobby.

Al Simmons was going to be the big bad guy in Image United but then that limited series 90sImaged itself.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Chiclo wrote:

Al Simmons was going to be the big bad guy in Image United but then that limited series 90sImaged itself.
Liefeld still has the stones to say that this getting finished.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Tim wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Liefeld still has the stones to say that this getting finished.
I hadn't heard that. Maybe it's still right on their comparative schedule.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Dr. Solar wrote:
Does this make these characters more important? I don't know. It depends how "important" is defined.

I have a hard time saying that Rick Grimes is an important chartacter. It is the title, not the character, that has significance. If there was a "early adventures of Rick Grimes" comic, it would probably not be an important book, or a great seller.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are in the running, I hadn't thought of them. I think Spawn is more significant than Rick Grimes is, that's for sure.

Let's also remember we live in a world in which Cerebus happened.

Cerebus still holds the record for longest independently published book, correct? ( at 300 issues)

Good point about how one defines 'importance'. Hottest-selling? Cultural impact?

In terms of pop culture explosion and significance, I would say both the Turtles and the Walking Dead. Turtles were a phenomenon unlike anything before or since. (And their new IDW title are pretty good as well). They helped launch the independent revolution of the 80s.

The Walking Dead holds the current standing, with the books and the mega-popular TV show.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

String wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:
Does this make these characters more important? I don't know. It depends how "important" is defined.

I have a hard time saying that Rick Grimes is an important chartacter. It is the title, not the character, that has significance. If there was a "early adventures of Rick Grimes" comic, it would probably not be an important book, or a great seller.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are in the running, I hadn't thought of them. I think Spawn is more significant than Rick Grimes is, that's for sure.

Let's also remember we live in a world in which Cerebus happened.

Cerebus still holds the record for longest independently published book, correct? ( at 300 issues)

Good point about how one defines 'importance'. Hottest-selling? Cultural impact?

In terms of pop culture explosion and significance, I would say both the Turtles and the Walking Dead. Turtles were a phenomenon unlike anything before or since. (And their new IDW title are pretty good as well). They helped launch the independent revolution of the 80s.

The Walking Dead holds the current standing, with the books and the mega-popular TV show.

It depends on what you consider "independently published". Opening last month's Previews magazine, I see a solicitation for Archie 647. Dell Four Color ran what, 1200 issues? 2000 AD is around 1800.

I am pretty sure the Sim/Gerard team holds some sort of record for longest creator run on an independent book, though.

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger

Post by Zaphod »

how are we this far in and no one has mentioned Venom?

Oh, his time has passed?
sorry, didn't get the memo.

Dr. Manhattan or perhaps Rorshach.
though he might not be popular with most comic book readers, Spawn is still a big one.

The Punisher. crap, he was created 8 months earlier.

Deadpool is probably the correct answer. Sure TMNT are more popular but how many people actually know they come from comic book characters?
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Zaphod wrote:how are we this far in and no one has mentioned Venom?

Oh, his time has passed?
sorry, didn't get the memo.

Dr. Manhattan or perhaps Rorshach.
though he might not be popular with most comic book readers, Spawn is still a big one.

The Punisher. crap, he was created 8 months earlier.

Deadpool is probably the correct answer. Sure TMNT are more popular but how many people actually know they come from comic book characters?
I think you made a good point with Venom. In fact, I think at one point I used to call Venom the most important character since Wolverine in one of my listings. :oops:

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

I actually didn't know who Mike Morales, or Harley Quinn was....I think this is really a non-contest.

I was a kid in the 90s and had a bunch of the turtle toys; TMNT was absolutely huge - movies, toys, tv show, etc. Everyone knows who the TMNT are, and even non-comic fans can name other minor characters - Shredder, Splinter, Rocksteady, I can't say that about any other comic character created in my lifetime. That to me is the litmus test, how well has this character/comic been absorbed in mainstream culture, and not strictly confined to individuals in this medium. I would say TMNT is even more well-known than Wolverine...since TMNT, TWD. :D

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

If importance is defined as crossing over in to the mainstream and having a staying power, I'd have to go with TMNT, Deadpool or Venom.

If importance is defined as having some sort of relevance in the medium of comics, I'd maybe go with Spawn - part of the original Image launch, had a movie and animated series and inspired others to go the creator-owned route. Plus it's one of the only two Image books from the launch to still be going.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

chriskay99 wrote:If importance is defined as crossing over in to the mainstream and having a staying power, I'd have to go with TMNT, Deadpool or Venom.

If importance is defined as having some sort of relevance in the medium of comics, I'd maybe go with Spawn - part of the original Image launch, had a movie and animated series and inspired others to go the creator-owned route. Plus it's one of the only two Image books from the launch to still be going.
Spawn is definitely a number 3 on that list, and serious consideration for number two instead of TWD. This is especially important considering the role Spawn played in establishing image, and the affects of the market hype and crash...

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Sorry to derail this thread (who am kidding? I'm not sorry at all), but as a big Spawn fan back in the day, would it be worthwhile to catch up on the series?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

In addition to some excellent suggestion, I might add Damien Wayne. Possibly DC's best creation of the past 25-30 years.

If he comes back (and I expect he will), I think he could have real longevity, but despite his currents tatus he has massive impact.

Perhaps more so than Damien, Tim Drake; over 100 issues of his title. Then a relaunch as Red Robin. Many Titans and Bat-family issues.

Failing that new-52 Batman; hey it was a reboot so it kind of counts... :P

And no, I am not some mega-Bat-fan.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Certainly some of the Valiant characters bear mention in this conversation. X-O, Shadowman, maybe one or two others. Long before VEI was saying they have one of the three most important comic book universes, or words to that effect, I was saying something similar right here on this board, as I said several times that the Valiant universe is the most important comic book universe since Marvel's. As VEI's body of work mounts, the importance of their universe and characters continues to grow.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

TWD and TMNT both are popular for other reasons than the books. TWD, obviously the tv show. TMNT probably the movies, if not the cartoons and toys.

Spawn, Deadpool and Venom would be the 3 I select. You probably don't need to be a comic collector but you know those 3 as comic book characters.

Valiant characters have been on the cusp. Bloodshot I think would be the biggest. X-O is probably always going to carry the stigma of "Conan in the Iron Man" suit. The Shadowman game helped (though I never played it) and Turok is probably the biggest name from any of the OG Valiant characters due to the multi-million dollar selling game.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Zaphod wrote:TWD and TMNT both are popular for other reasons than the books. TWD, obviously the tv show. TMNT probably the movies, if not the cartoons and toys.

Spawn, Deadpool and Venom would be the 3 I select. You probably don't need to be a comic collector but you know those 3 as comic book characters.
I disagree. I don't think the average person on the street would know these. If I ask: people at the gym, my mom, people at work, or randoms in the supermarket, I'm willing to wager the majority haven't heard of all three characters, and most may have only heard of one. You say TMNT, and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone under the age of 70 that has never heard of them...

String

Post by String »

leonmallett wrote:In addition to some excellent suggestion, I might add Damien Wayne. Possibly DC's best creation of the past 25-30 years.

If he comes back (and I expect he will), I think he could have real longevity, but despite his currents tatus he has massive impact.

Perhaps more so than Damien, Tim Drake; over 100 issues of his title. Then a relaunch as Red Robin. Many Titans and Bat-family issues.

Failing that new-52 Batman; hey it was a reboot so it kind of counts... :P

And no, I am not some mega-Bat-fan.
DC just released early news of an upcoming 4 issue mini for this Oct. entitled "Damian: Son of Batman" by Andy Kubert. Supposedly set in a "possible future that may never be", the story seems to be about Damian's path to assume the mantle of the Bat.

CallMeBloodshot
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Venditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by CallMeBloodshot »

Oddly enough it's Deadpool. Guys so darn popular. I just don't get it. Most overrated, overexposed comic character imo.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Zaphod wrote:TWD and TMNT both are popular for other reasons than the books. TWD, obviously the tv show. TMNT probably the movies, if not the cartoons and toys.

Valiant characters have been on the cusp. Bloodshot I think would be the biggest. X-O is probably always going to carry the stigma of "Conan in the Iron Man" suit. The Shadowman game helped (though I never played it) and Turok is probably the biggest name from any of the OG Valiant characters due to the multi-million dollar selling game.
Does Turok count as post-Wolverine... :wink:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Turok is from 1954... he's 20 years pre-Wolverine and 8 years pre-Spider-man. :D

As far as post-Wolverine goes...
The argument that TMNT are more than just comic books is exactly the reason why they are the most important.
They started as comic books (like Superman, Batman, Spider-man) and became something more, something almost everyone recognizes.
Shows, movies, toys, cartoons, costumes, games, a theme song... these are all indications that a comic book character is important.

If you limit the list to characters who haven't done much outside of comic books, it will be a very sad list... nowhere near "most important".

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I think Hellboy deserves some props in this conversation as well. not the most significant i don't think but certainly noteworthy.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:I think Hellboy deserves some props in this conversation as well. not the most significant i don't think but certainly noteworthy.
I agree

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

leonmallett wrote:

no, I was just making a point.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Zaphod wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

no, I was just making a point.
:D

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

I kind of wonder if you mean since Wolverine was created or since Wolverine was a super-big hit and had 20 comics and a lot of cultural cachet or what exactly (he's still the only X-Man who routinely gets his own separate titles like Savage Wolverine, right?). Deadpool is similar in the modern era in that he is very popular, although the cultural cachet thing won't happen until they make a (good) Deadpool movie.

If we can go far outside the parameters of simply the printed books, Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. He kind of makes that character. I know I didn't care about Iron Man until 2008, except I suppose briefly in the '90s when the cartoons were on (and honestly only for the duration of the cartoon, so 30 minutes a week).