JIM SHOOTER....COME JOIN US! The water's FINE!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Do you wish ol' Slim Jim would contribute to these here boards?

Yes.
19%
Yes, of course, don't be daft.
17%
Are you kidding? Of COURSE! DUH!
40%
Absolutely. I like Ice Cream.
24%

Total votes: 42

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe
JIM SHOOTER....COME JOIN US! The water's FINE!

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Look, Jim...may I call you Jim?...here's the deal:

Most all of us....maybe ALL of us...regard you with an IMMENSE amount of respect for what you've done, not just with Valiant, but with everything you've done in your nearly 40 (!) year career. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of goodwill and love for you, and MANY, MANY people regard your work with intense feeling; it means a lot to a lot of people. SOME of us on the boards can recite your career from memory. That speaks to the impact you have had, especially with this group!

That said....WE ALL KNOW you read these boards. You were willing to do the VcVVSS #2, and I'm sure you'll be willing to do more. ;)

So....JOIN US! We'd all LOVE to have you around, even if it's just one or two posts a week.

Come on, Jim....please? Pretty please? With sugar on top...?

;)

Frankly...as far as Valiant goes, there's no one I'd rather talk to about it.

Whaddaya say?

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Mr. Shooter, you will have to excuse ZWH. he is, well, a special little boy.

~The Unblessed Soul

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

:funnypost:
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

WOW! Wouldn't it be something to have Jim Shooter & Bob Layton patch up their differences on this messageboard after 12 years & do a VcVVSS of UNITY #0 together? What an acid trip that would be.....:)---Steve

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Dear Mr. Shooter,

As a neophyte to the comic-creation business, I believe I speak for all of us when I state that your input, insight, experience and talent would be more than welcome in our forum. Hoping to hear from you in the future.

P.S. Although I doubt you remember it, I was the 11 year old winner of the "Draw the Baby-Hulk" contest from Crazy Magazine in 1981. So I'm not only a collector and a "wanna-be," I'm a former character from your Marvel comics era.

--Stu Berryhill
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

Vault-Keeper wrote:WOW! Wouldn't it be something to have Jim Shooter & Bob Layton patch up their differences on this messageboard after 12 years & do a VcVVSS of UNITY #0 together? What an acid trip that would be.....:)---Steve

:lol:

I would almost bet...not that I like to speculate about the reasons either way, but I would think that ole BL might be the very reason. Of course BL does post much around here anymore anyway...sure would hate to make this into a *SQUEE* match...

also what is the extra "V" for? Just kidding.. :thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

DawgPhan wrote:also what is the extra "V" for? Just kidding.. :thumb:
Very.

Welcome to the boards Mr.Shooter! Hopefully. Maybe you can just get an assistant to take some dictation and post for you.

And if anybody around here calls you "buddy" they're just trying to be friendly.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

depluto wrote:
DawgPhan wrote:also what is the extra "V" for? Just kidding.. :thumb:
Very.

Welcome to the boards Mr.Shooter! Hopefully. Maybe you can just get an assistant to take some dictation and post for you.

And if anybody around here calls you "buddy" they're just trying to be friendly.
Posting online for Mr. Shooter is a real job, please LMK. I think the fact that I just passed 2000 posts shows that I am detail oriented and a solid work ethic. :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Having Jim post here would truly be awesome guys.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Unblessed wrote:Mr. Shooter, you will have to excuse ZWH. he is, well, a special little boy.

~The Unblessed Soul
I am. I am indeed.

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

Vault-Keeper wrote:WOW! Wouldn't it be something to have Jim Shooter & Bob Layton patch up their differences on this messageboard after 12 years & do a VcVVSS of UNITY #0 together? What an acid trip that would be.....:)---Steve
<drools uncontrollably> ...and make it the red version...<passes out>....
<comes too>...with gregs authentication methods <heart stops>.....
.....Well, just don't sit there like you're looking at a Bloodshot 0 platinum in your hands....call freakin 911!

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Who's Jim Shooter??

tbrezz
Long Live Valiant
Long Live Valiant
Valiant fan since: Harbinger 17 May 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by tbrezz »

Yes it would definetly be Awesome To have Jim Post Here with us. Perty Please With A Cherry On Top :D
Long Live Valiant Because the Voices in My Head Say So
Brandon

riftt
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by riftt »

to broaden the topic a bit - the one disappointing thing I find about this site is that more ex valiant professionals dont contribute. Comic writers and artists generally have a good presense online and they seem to contribute to other forums (like CBR) and I would like to see them come here and shoot the *SQUEE*, apologize for chaos effect and birthquake, talk about art, etc.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

riftt wrote:to broaden the topic a bit - the one disappointing thing I find about this site is that more ex valiant professionals dont contribute. Comic writers and artists generally have a good presense online and they seem to contribute to other forums (like CBR) and I would like to see them come here and shoot the *SQUEE*, apologize for chaos effect and birthquake, talk about art, etc.
I think that there have been a fair number of valiant types that have made their way to this board. More than I would have expected. Of course they are probably going to show up in a place like cbr where they can talk about their current project. Oh and they dont want to have to apologize for birthquake. :thumb:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

DawgPhan wrote:
riftt wrote:to broaden the topic a bit - the one disappointing thing I find about this site is that more ex valiant professionals dont contribute. Comic writers and artists generally have a good presense online and they seem to contribute to other forums (like CBR) and I would like to see them come here and shoot the *SQUEE*, apologize for chaos effect and birthquake, talk about art, etc.
I think that there have been a fair number of valiant types that have made their way to this board. More than I would have expected. Of course they are probably going to show up in a place like cbr where they can talk about their current project. Oh and they dont want to have to apologize for birthquake. :thumb:
and not get ripped for any other petty instance either...fanboys are great, but they can also be big time dicks if things don't go just like they want...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

Actually, I think ZWH peed in this part of the water. It's rather warm and if I'm not mistaken, just a hint of yellow. ZWH is looking awfully smug over there too!
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

X-O HoboJoe
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

I think the only ones who should "apologize" for anything are the editors and powers-that-be at AckLame that basically cut Layton out of the creative process and monkey-wrenched anything the creative teams on the books were attempting. It's apparent that AckLame wanted comics that would promote their video-games and were too stupid to understand that there's only a small sub-genre for that type of product. The guys working the books tried to tell them, but hey, did they listen -- obviously not. I think most of us have worked for some idiot who thought they knew best regardless of facts or the experience of others. They tend to run companies into the ground rather than admit they might be wrong (I call this the Bruce Yancey Effect).

From seeing some of the crap AckLame pulled to how they eventually wound up on the historical "heap," it looks to me like a bunch of snot-arses in suits who'd never even picked up a comic (much less knew how to read) controlled the flow of the creators' out-put. Shooter got squeezed out, then Layton got regulated to Figure-head status and when he tried to tell these dopes what was what, he got canned too. The VH2 stuff is ok, it's just not what those of us who read Valiant were looking for. Overall the art is good, the stories fit the characters (up to around Birthquake, IMO) and Hell Yeah, I'd like more of the creators to post stuff here. I wanna know what they're up to now, what they were trying to do then, the whole nine yards. C'mon guys, we got yer back.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

CLA
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by CLA »

It would be cool to see Mr. Shooter post here! :)
"...[Wizard Magazine] regularly cheapens and poisons our field."
FRANK MILLER

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

Wow, a cool topic! I totally agree! Bob Layton no longer posts here, which is most unfortunate. I guess we ripped him one time to many over Birthquake. :) And, of course, he was out of power by then.

But yeah, Jim Shooter we all seem to love, and with good reason. He MADE Valiant! He was Valiant at its best, bar none! The suits should NEVER EVER have gotten rid of him. It was a slow death from then on and it was sometimes painful to watch.

I also loved Defiant and Broadway, especially Broadway. Man, I miss Jim Shooter in comics. I'll have to check out his sci fi writing on that website he's on now. I wish he'd come here and talk to us about it. We'd be his biggest fans, I'm sure!

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

whetteon wrote:Actually, I think ZWH peed in this part of the water. It's rather warm and if I'm not mistaken, just a hint of yellow. ZWH is looking awfully smug over there too!
I TOLD you the water was fine....

Peter Parker
No Longer A Registered User

Post by Peter Parker »

"Acklame"...hehehe :lol:

that's funny :D
"Leisure, is the mother of philosophy"

Thomas Hobbes

Peter Parker
No Longer A Registered User

Post by Peter Parker »

Ya know, Bob Layton's Iron Man run of the late 70's and early 80's was his opus!

The Hercules mini-series of 1982 was a classic as well, but I personally don't think ANYTHING he ever did after that stuff compares :(

I realize some of the members here like his early Valiant contributions, but all I've gotten out of his Valiant history, is the perception (based on his posts here & his comments after Shooters exit)... that bobby is a turd :x
"Leisure, is the mother of philosophy"

Thomas Hobbes

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

I'd like to know more about his DARING COMICS line which were never published back in 1999. From what I've read, they would have kicked some major arse! I have an issue of CBG where Jim descibes the initial titles of the DARING line, & how everything would begin. Major cool!---Steve

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

PS----Bob Layton is NOT a turd.

Don't get me started Pete,...you won't like me when I'm angry
<eyes turning green & shirt starting to rip...> :)