Animal Man

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Animal Man

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Alright, so I am now reading Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man. I have to say that I thought it would suck after I'd heard it being built up so much, but for a book from the '80's, it stands up really well. They make Animal Man seem like a cool super hero, like some powers I'd actually want! On issue #12 right now, and it's a real decent read. The art's a bit 80's, but also, enjoyable.
Nothing mindblowing, or life changing, but some good, solid story and art.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
Re: Animal Man

Post by ian_house »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Alright, so I am now reading Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man. I have to say that I thought it would suck after I'd heard it being built up so much, but for a book from the '80's, it stands up really well. They make Animal Man seem like a cool super hero, like some powers I'd actually want! On issue #12 right now, and it's a real decent read. The art's a bit 80's, but also, enjoyable.
:lol: You ain't seen nothing yet...

You're in the setup and you've got sucked in the same way everyone else did. 'Oh this is just a nice ordinary well done superhero story... OH MY GAAWWWDDDD!' :lol:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ian_house wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Alright, so I am now reading Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man. I have to say that I thought it would suck after I'd heard it being built up so much, but for a book from the '80's, it stands up really well. They make Animal Man seem like a cool super hero, like some powers I'd actually want! On issue #12 right now, and it's a real decent read. The art's a bit 80's, but also, enjoyable.

You're in the setup and you've got sucked in the same way everyone else did. 'Oh this is just a nice ordinary well done superhero story... OH MY GAAWWWDDDD!' :lol:
heh heh. Yep... you ain't seen nuthin' yet if you're at #12.

I just completed my set & first read the full Morrison AM run last summer... it seriously stands the test of time. Great stuff.

If it seems mildly dated now its probably because so many others have done the kinds of things that Morrison was pioneering in Animal Man, along with guys like Moore & Miller in the 80's. I always find it to be a shame to know I'm reading something that was ahead of its time, but missing out on the full impact of that experience, like in this case. Though that didn't stop me from being in awe of the work regardless.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
ian_house wrote:

heh heh. Yep... you ain't seen nuthin' yet if you're at #12.

I just completed my set & first read the full Morrison AM run last summer... it seriously stands the test of time. Great stuff.

If it seems mildly dated now its probably because so many others have done the kinds of things that Morrison was pioneering in Animal Man, along with guys like Moore & Miller in the 80's. I always find it to be a shame to know I'm reading something that was ahead of its time, but missing out on the full impact of that experience, like in this case. Though that didn't stop me from being in awe of the work regardless.
I really have to stop reading these threads. I already have a backlog of books to read. Now, I have to go get these and read them. Again, it's a good problem to have, but still a problem.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

I have not re-read Animal man, and never did finish it as a kid, but even the 13 year old me could tell it was something special.
lorddunlow wrote: I really have to stop reading these threads. I already have a backlog of books to read. Now, I have to go get these and read them. Again, it's a good problem to have, but still a problem.
I agree. I have a huge doc here with too many titles/runs listed to ever think I will read them all! I love that most everything is in trade now though. Makes it easier to read it anytime knowing it's not some valuable comic I have to be careful with. I can toss the trade anywhere, leave them in my car to read on breaks from work or whatever, and share without worrying about some fool pawing at my comics!

As you say, a great problem to have. I hope I have this particular problem until I am old and decrepit

:lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Still reading. Up to 17 now. I really appreciate how ahead of the curve the writing is about topics like global warming. Who else was writing about that? Very relevant today.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

I'm eagerly awaiting Bone-a-fach-ee's next response. That last 6 or so issues are my favourite comics of all time, easily, and I love hearing others reactions (good or bad).

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Alright, I'm up to issue 21 now. So, I don't know how much I can say about this without leaking spoilers. Oh, I'll try this... Peyote, killing his family, him going out and killing the killers! That shiz cray! Hah! But seriously, taking it where not a lot of comics have gone before in that era. I'm up to him asking for a time machine.
But seriously loving the entire story arc. Love the power set he has, never thought about it before reading this, but that would be pretty cool to have as a power. Flight, breathing under water, regenerate, electricity, strength, etc, etc, etc.
But it's cool, because it's way more humanizing, and not just a "superhero" book. Family, ethics, global awareness. Fits very well in today's comic book market place.
I think I have like 5, or 6 issues left. If things keep getting crazier, then I truly see what all the hype is about. And might answer the question about the aliens thinking that he was supposed to be older....

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap. Just read issue #22. Masterful. He's been setting up that issue since issue #1. I think I have an idea about how all this ends, but I don't want to say it. But WOW!! What an issue! Crazy, crazy, perfect, masterful. What a setup, what a culmination! And the best part is, it's not even over yet! Can't wait to see more! Holy crap!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

:runs out to get Animal Man right now:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

:runs back in because pants were forgotten, then runs back out:

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

lorddunlow wrote::runs back in because pants were forgotten, then runs back out:
good call on the pants.... and on getting some Animal Man!
I never bought into the hype that is Grant Morrison. And I still don't. I was never a "Batman guy". but, this was cool, cause it was a character I knew nothing about, and now would love to read an ongoing in the same style.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

That. Was cool.

:thumb:

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Alright. Just finished the whole Morrison run. I can't tell if the last issue was geniusly epic, or if Grant Morrison is just so full of himself that He had to insert himself into the story. I'm seriously not sure if I'm bothered or impressed. I REALLY dug the whole setup of the time traveling story, and would have been more than content with that as a finale.
It's funny to me that comic creators can be so arrogant, and assume that they actually rule A world, if not THE world.
Very torn right now.
Although I'm sure this was very innovative at the time, and all the covers allude to the fact that he's in a comic world the whole time. Ughhh, MAD!
Last edited by Bone-A-Fach-ee on Mon May 20, 2013 9:12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Alright. Just finished the whole Morrison run. I can't tell if the last issue was geniusly epic, or if Grant Morrison is just so full of himself that He had to insert himself into the story. I'm seriously not sure if I'm bothered or impressed. I REALLY dug the whole setup of the time traveling story, and would have been more than content with that as a finale.
It's funny to me that comic creators can be so arrogant, and assume that they actually rule A world, if not THE world.
Very torn right now.
Although I'm sure this was very innovative at the time, and all the co era allude to the fact that he's in a comic world the whole time. Ughhh, MAD!
Glad you seemed to enjoy most of it. Not sure I ever saw the final issues as arrogance as it's not really about ruling it's about creation and ties much more into Morrison's spiritual/dimensional beliefs than that of control. It's also a huge comment on DC itself and links back to the 60's Flash stuff which Morrison loves where the creators would pop up in the narrative and also in the method that Barry Allen discovers the Golden Age Flash - a comic within the comic. I always saw it in this way so didn't really find it arrogant as it's an established DC convention, he just modernises and subverts it very cleverly.