Read the Harbinger TPB!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

CLA
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Read the Harbinger TPB!

Post by CLA »

Cool story. Very real characters. You can actually see the people grow in these pages. Especially 'Mingo. She starts out as this poor, hurt thing and ends up a better, stronger person.

My thoughts on the characters ( I dislike most of 'em):
Sting: friendly, powerful, dangerous, manipulative.
Kris: attractive, nice, a little mean, headstrong, not very loyal (to Sting).
'Mingo: hot (really!), very friendly. They call her an ugly name in the book (sl--). Poor girl. Let's say she's a coquette. That sounds nicer.
Torque: big, buff, sad, inscrutable, and a bully.

And Zephyr:
SHE'S A BRICK...HOUSE
MIGHTY MIGHT JUST LETTIN' IT ALL HANG OUT
SHE'S A BRICK...HOUSE
THE LADY'S STACKED AND THAT'S A FACT,
AIN'T HOLDING NOTHING BACK

My favorite character 'cause she's the only one I like. She's big, cute, and funny.
Zephyr says:
"...But he was overcome with lust for me, and..."
"Why are you guys so excited about a fat girl being on your helicopter?"
"Like a ghost wraith, the powerful yet beautiful super heroine stalks the dark night, her lithe, supple, yet bodacious body a symphony of moonlit motion."

And is Harada really evil? I thought he was against Sting because he is too powerful.
Harada seems like an okay guy. Well, then again, he tried to kill Solar and X-O. Yeah, dude's evil.

The zero issue was AWESOME! It's a great intro for the TPB.
That scene with the big explosion was really cool. He was in danger and then BOOM!

Great book.
"...[Wizard Magazine] regularly cheapens and poisons our field."
FRANK MILLER

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I was shuffling some stuff around a couple of months ago and came across a Harby TPB ... stopped what I was doing and read it again.

Great comics, man. This book is a good example of why this site exists. Solid art, great dialogue, interesting characters. As good as comics get.

Harada was an arrogant prick, but I'm not sure if he was evil. I think he felt like history would judge the victors. And like I said, he was an arrogant prick.

CLA

Post by CLA »

depluto wrote:I was shuffling some stuff around a couple of months ago and came across a Harby TPB ... stopped what I was doing and read it again.

Great comics, man. This book is a good example of why this site exists. Solid art, great dialogue, interesting characters. As good as comics get.

Harada was an arrogant prick, but I'm not sure if he was evil. I think he felt like history would judge the victors. And like I said, he was an arrogant prick.
Hi. You're right, it has great dialogue and nice art by Lapham. I think my favorite artwork was in the zero issue. Very well-drawn.

What did you think of the relationship between Sting and Kris? Are Kris' feelings for Sting real or is Sting creating them? And does she love Torque?

I think that Sting controlled her feelings at first, and later Sting stopped when Kris became used to being close with him. She liked him, but didn't love him. Then she met Torque, who is a lot like Kris, and she loved him.
"...[Wizard Magazine] regularly cheapens and poisons our field."
FRANK MILLER

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Sting was one of my favorite Valiant characters. Reminded me a lot of Cyclops from the X-Men (the old Cyclops, not the super-assertive a-hole from recent years).

So even if he did manipulate someone's thoughts, who is to say we wouldn't have done the same sort of thing given those kinds of powers as a teenager? And I felt his conscience wouldn't allow him to keep that sort of thing going once he had time to think about it. At least I hoped.

I never liked Torque, although it was odd the way he was eliminated so early in that series. Another X-Men parallel (Thunderbird, although Torque was a much better character than that dude).