Hi, I'm Joshua Dysart...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Re: Hi, I'm Joshua Dysart...

Post by hawkeyeps »

mp6pack wrote:Hey Josh, Just wanting to say Im lovin the Harbinger title, and I'm glad you have made yourself available to the fans. That's a great example to other creators out there. Thanks Bro
Welcome to the halls of Tourquehalla Bro :thumb:

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

hawkeyeps wrote:
mp6pack wrote:Hey Josh, Just wanting to say Im lovin the Harbinger title, and I'm glad you have made yourself available to the fans. That's a great example to other creators out there. Thanks Bro
Dude, we have to be more selective with who we invite to Torquehalla. It's our duty as the Guardians to make sure it stays *SQUEE* awesome.

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Joshua Dysart wrote:Great question. It makes no sense to me that superheroes, or super powered beings could exist on earth for any length of time without drastically changing the landscape of history. Hell, just Bloodshot's self-replicating protein driven nanites could change the humanity overnight. Many great creators have played with this idea. Watchmen is a prime example. We're going to try to walk a steady path here and not go too far too fast. But yes... as the Valiant U begins to mature and its connections become stronger, I hope we can continue to show how that changes the world itself. It only makes sense.
I'm very curious how you and the rest of the VEI crew would actually handle this. Sooner or later, having superpowered beings and super-geniuses coexist with our reality would really just conflict. One example I can think of is Marvel Comics' problem with how to deal with cancer. The Marvel U has a lot of supergeniuses around who can create pocket universes, Dyson spheres, clones, etc. but they can not cure cancer. Waid tried to address this in issue 24 of DD and all Hank Pym can say is "some things are beyond all our powers aren't they?"

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

KXXX wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
Dude, we have to be more selective with who we invite to Torquehalla. It's our duty as the Guardians to make sure it stays *SQUEE* awesome.
And smelling of sweet sweet *SQUEE*. :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

Joshua,

Great 2nd issue of Harbinger Wars ... loved the Harada Protocol(!) and the introduction to HARD Corps.

Interesting and BRUTAL twist with Harada transfusing the nanite infected blood into Saturn and then killing her along with the nanites. Absolutely BRUTAL. Loved it. :thumb: Brings up some intriguing questions about the nanites that infected the PRS Mainframe :hm:

At the end, James, the twin, calls out to Maggie instead of Katherine ... mistake or did we miss something? I didn't even notice this until somebody else pointed it out.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Yeah, Saturn...we had just begun to know you. :cry:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Elveen wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:Speculation deleted.

But if I'm right...wow. :D
Dang it. I missed it. Post it somewhere else or PM me. I'm all horny for speculation now!
Brown-Chicken-Brown-Cooowwww!!
Fixed that for you, 'Veen. Its the new thing. Don't deny it's cool factor.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Joshua Dysart wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Do you prefer Joshua or Josh? My father is the only one who gets to call me Joshua, since he named me & all that.
You can call me anything but *SQUEE*.
Since you retweeted me a week or two ago, I'll assume you're cool with J2D2. And of course, feel free to call me the same :lol:
Joshua Dysart wrote:
grendeljd wrote: And hey - no Shadowrun?! Surely you played that one? :D
I totally played Shadowrun! Good catch!

Right on, it was a great world concept - I still compare technology in use now to what they thought of for that game, even though I don't play it [or rpg's in general] anymore. Though I suppose ultimately you could probably credit William Gibson for the core of many of their ideas, which is equally amazing - how much impact that he has had on inspiring what is available today...
Joshua Dysart wrote:
grendeljd wrote: Also, I can't thank you enough for posting my Young Harada drawing inspired by Harbinger #0 on your FB page awhile back. I'm sincerely glad you liked it that much. However, if I ever draw another piece that you end up loving that much again, could you throw up a link to my deviantart page? (check it below in my signature) I could use all the love (and exposure) I can get. :lol:
I absolutely will, I'm not sure I had access to that information last time I posted some of your work on my wall.
No worries. I hope that didn't come across as me being offended or trying to give you a hard time about it. I did happen to do a bit of a silly Harbinger related pic for #faf last week, don't know if you saw it... have a look at the Valiant Fan Art Fumblr when you have a chance - it may be the most recent entry still.
Joshua Dysart wrote:
grendeljd wrote: It seems like you have a healthy, diverse range of musical taste, just like most of the artists I know. I'm seriously loving Foxygen thanks to you & your ComicCon fashion-sense. So addicted to '21st Century Ambassadors...' Have you heard the album 'Love This Giant' by David Byrne & St. Vincent? Probably my other top favourite new album I've heard in the last year...
I haven't sat down and listened to it. But I LOVE David Byrne, so it should certainly be on my list. Thanks for reminding me of it!

It's awesome - get to it & enjoy! I had the tremendous pleasure of seeing them perform it on tour in Toronto last fall, so incredible. Byrne even did a few epic Talking Heads songs like 'This Must Be The Place' & 'Burning Down The House'. If you aren't already a fan, I also recommend checking out St. Vincent's albums too. Strange Mercy is particularly fantastic - she is a creative whirlwind of musical talent, that girl, and she can seriously rock.

And I have to say, Harbinger Wars 2 was an excellent read. Too much cool happening all up in that joint. Really looking forward to Harbinger 12 this week. :thumb:
Joshua Dysart wrote:Long live the Josh's!
Cheers to J2D2! :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
Joshua Dysart wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Do you prefer Joshua or Josh? My father is the only one who gets to call me Joshua, since he named me & all that.
Since you retweeted me a week or two ago, I'll assume you're cool with J2D2. And of course, feel free to call me the same :lol:

Hey, can I get in on this? We could be J3D3! My initials are also JD!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Joshua Dysart wrote:

Jeez, I dunno... thats an awful big request coming from the one who started & continuously perpetuates the terrible tragedy that is the Canadians vs. Josh's war here on the boards... :lol: :kidaround: :poke:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Joshua Dysart wrote:

Jeez, I dunno... thats an awful big request coming from the one who started & continuously perpetuates the terrible tragedy that is the Canadians vs. Josh's war here on the boards... :lol: :kidaround: :poke:
You can't overlook a little nation-hate for a fellow Josh?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Don't be Hatin' Canadians man, without this guy superheros and comics wouldn't be what it is today.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

MarrowMan wrote:Don't be Hatin' Canadians man, without this guy superheros and comics wouldn't be what it is today.
I couldn't see this and NOT post THIS:

Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

apainter
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by apainter »

Joshua Dysart wrote: Great question. It makes no sense to me that superheroes, or super powered beings could exist on earth for any length of time without drastically changing the landscape of history. Hell, just Bloodshot's self-replicating protein driven nanites could change the humanity overnight. Many great creators have played with this idea. Watchmen is a prime example. We're going to try to walk a steady path here and not go too far too fast. But yes... as the Valiant U begins to mature and its connections become stronger, I hope we can continue to show how that changes the world itself. It only makes sense.
Thanks for the reply.

The zero issue took place in August 2012, which was around the time Harbinger 1 was released. Are these books going to attempt to stay in real time? It would be great to avoid "sliding timelines" and continuity reboots, but I understand the need for a company to keep its stable of characters locked in a certain state. (It wouldn't be too exciting to see WWII vets Reed Richards and Ben Grimm going down to the VA office, would it?)

Jim Shooter put those time stamps all over his issues in the original VU, and he tried to stay "real time" in his New Universe before that. When dealing with super powers and alien bio suits, it's not hard to explain away their lack of aging, so you can kind of have it both ways: keep it in real time and have the characters ageless. What are your thoughts?

Also, loved the BS vs. Harada fight in HW2! PRS stole the whole "vomiting on your opponent" thing from a guy named Armstrong, didn't they?

Art

MarrowMan
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:Don't be Hatin' Canadians man, without this guy superheros and comics wouldn't be what it is today.
I couldn't see this and NOT post THIS:

:lol: lol I remember those, so cheesy.

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Joshua, Thanks so much for another magnificent issue of Harbinger (#12)! The Harbinger Wars is really shaping up to be the best crossover i've ever read. There were so many great funny moments to go along with the serious dialogue. Very well crafted Mr. Dysart. All of the little questions that I've had in my head (like Kris shoots up PRS soldiers what kind of impact did that have on her? Peter kills with such ease how does he come to terms with that? Cronus allows his kids to kill Police officers with seeming ease ... How does Cronus and Peter differ morally?) were explored brilliantly with so much depth and with a weighty emotional punch to the gut. Loved all the great interactions throughout the issue including Torque and Telic; Flamingo and Hive and of course Peter and Christian. You could really feel the existential crisis that Cronus is living with knowing that him and all the people that are under his care can be BRAIN FRIED with a literal snap of the finger. And Flamingo with her flirty, care free nature interacting with an impressionable, inexperienced Hive (who has monsters in his head) was also very fun and interesting. Love the flashback scenes with Toyo. Just so many great things happening in this issue its hard to even get to it all, I just really appreciate the thought and effort that went into this comic. Thanks, it was truly a great read!

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Congrats Josh on getting the Bloodshot gig, I'm sure you'll do a great job! :thumb:

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Hey Josh,
After reading Harby 12 (another stellar issue by the way!), I have some new questions for you:

1- So, does Harada not participate in sex? Is his version of that a mind trip with Griffin?
2- Can Pete disarm the "brain bombs" in Generation Zero?
3- How did Telic know that Torque had a physical projection? Do her abilities allow her to see that?
4- Also, did Torque seem BIGGER after he got thrown through the wall and was angry about it? Can he change his physical projection based on his emotions?
5- Can Pete help Hive get rid of the 21 other minds within his own?

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

and Canada gave us the greatness that is......

William Shatner!!!

ValiantReader
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1
Favorite character: Torque

Post by ValiantReader »

Hey Joshua Dysart, I have a question you may be able to help me with. Do u remember doing a interview you did with Simon Daoudi from ComicImpact.com at the WonderCon2013. They had a contest at he end of the interview where you signed a gold harbinger #1 and asked a question about the two harbingers that were raised under Harada. I answered the question and got a email back withing the hour from Simon Daoudi saying i won and would be receiving it in the mail shortly. Its been a little more then a month since then and i have emailed him 2 times since then with no reply. If you happen to see him again can you ask him to reply to my email and just tell me if its coming or not. It may seem silly to some but i felt like i won the lotto that day. I was screaming and so happy about the book. I been going back and forth about spending the money on the gold #1 variant for months before i saw that interview. Winning it... well free is better then 150$ for a comic. Which is way worth it but im not that rich. I been loving harbinger since #1 and Harbinger Wars has been freaking amazing! I want to collect every book and variant now while they are cheap cause i know the value of your books are only going to go up. Well thx for your help and if you cant its cool. Just keep the good comics coming cause your work is amazing. You the man Dysart!

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

ValiantReader wrote:Hey Joshua Dysart, I have a question you may be able to help me with. Do u remember doing a interview you did with Simon Daoudi from ComicImpact.com at the WonderCon2013. They had a contest at he end of the interview where you signed a gold harbinger #1 and asked a question about the two harbingers that were raised under Harada. I answered the question and got a email back withing the hour from Simon Daoudi saying i won and would be receiving it in the mail shortly. Its been a little more then a month since then and i have emailed him 2 times since then with no reply. If you happen to see him again can you ask him to reply to my email and just tell me if its coming or not. It may seem silly to some but i felt like i won the lotto that day. I was screaming and so happy about the book. I been going back and forth about spending the money on the gold #1 variant for months before i saw that interview. Winning it... well free is better then 150$ for a comic. Which is way worth it but im not that rich. I been loving harbinger since #1 and Harbinger Wars has been freaking amazing! I want to collect every book and variant now while they are cheap cause i know the value of your books are only going to go up. Well thx for your help and if you cant its cool. Just keep the good comics coming cause your work is amazing. You the man Dysart!

I'm sorry to hear this. I had a similar experience with Simon. It took 2 months for him to get me the Archer & Armstrong Gold that I won from one of their contests. Lots of emails, and we even called them out on Facebook -- that did the trick. He had excuses, of course, and some were valid, but hearing this story from you makes me think that he's just not very responsible about the contest prizes.

You may need to send a public tweet or a similar action. I hated doing that, but like you said -- it feels great to win something that you really want.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

pixierosa wrote:
ValiantReader wrote:Hey Joshua Dysart, I have a question you may be able to help me with. Do u remember doing a interview you did with Simon Daoudi from ComicImpact.com at the WonderCon2013. They had a contest at he end of the interview where you signed a gold harbinger #1 and asked a question about the two harbingers that were raised under Harada. I answered the question and got a email back withing the hour from Simon Daoudi saying i won and would be receiving it in the mail shortly. Its been a little more then a month since then and i have emailed him 2 times since then with no reply. If you happen to see him again can you ask him to reply to my email and just tell me if its coming or not. It may seem silly to some but i felt like i won the lotto that day. I was screaming and so happy about the book. I been going back and forth about spending the money on the gold #1 variant for months before i saw that interview. Winning it... well free is better then 150$ for a comic. Which is way worth it but im not that rich. I been loving harbinger since #1 and Harbinger Wars has been freaking amazing! I want to collect every book and variant now while they are cheap cause i know the value of your books are only going to go up. Well thx for your help and if you cant its cool. Just keep the good comics coming cause your work is amazing. You the man Dysart!

I'm sorry to hear this. I had a similar experience with Simon. It took 2 months for him to get me the Archer & Armstrong Gold that I won from one of their contests. Lots of emails, and we even called them out on Facebook -- that did the trick. He had excuses, of course, and some were valid, but hearing this story from you makes me think that he's just not very responsible about the contest prizes.

You may need to send a public tweet or a similar action. I hated doing that, but like you said -- it feels great to win something that you really want.
Yea thx man ill give it a try. Its been a little over a month since he emailed me saying i had won the book and to be expecting it in the mail soon. Well at-least i have some hope now knowing that you got your prize. Look for my post on FB and comment and share it if you like lol.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Just found this thread (damn stickies!). Just wanted to say a huge thanks for the Harbinger title and taking the time to come chat. Took me a couple of issues to really see what you were putting together but it's been ace. No questions, just a cheers and looking forward to more :thumb:

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

ValiantReader wrote:
pixierosa wrote:

Yea thx man ill give it a try. Its been a little over a month since he emailed me saying i had won the book and to be expecting it in the mail soon. Well at-least i have some hope now knowing that you got your prize. Look for my post on FB and comment and share it if you like lol.
I got a reply from Simon Daoudi, after i posted something to the Comic Impact Facebook page(which was promptly deleted by comic impact). So thank you pixierosa for the advice. Unfortunately for me i didn't like the email he sent. Im just going to post the email and you tell me if this sounds like a BS excuse to me.

"Hey Jason I don't know if you got my previous message someone won the contest a few minutes before you did I'm really sorry about that.
I'm in a try to get you something signed by Joshua I know he lives here in LA. I am so sorry about the misunderstanding occultist usually run first-come first-served misprision beat you to two minutes before I know I send you an email saying that you had won. The person's email ended up in my spam folder I don't know why."

So who thinks he is going to sends me something that is equal to a signed harbinger #1 gold variant by Joshua Dysart? Even better who thinks his excuse is real or that the book is sitting in his collection. If by some chance he telling the truth it is still the most F$%&ed up think i have ever experienced from a company. Well ill just wait again for Simon to make it up to me. Ill keep waiting and waiting and waiting... :rant:

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

ValiantReader wrote:
ValiantReader wrote:
pixierosa wrote:

I got a reply from Simon Daoudi, after i posted something to the Comic Impact Facebook page(which was promptly deleted by comic impact). So thank you pixierosa for the advice. Unfortunately for me i didn't like the email he sent. Im just going to post the email and you tell me if this sounds like a BS excuse to me.

"Hey Jason I don't know if you got my previous message someone won the contest a few minutes before you did I'm really sorry about that.
I'm in a try to get you something signed by Joshua I know he lives here in LA. I am so sorry about the misunderstanding occultist usually run first-come first-served misprision beat you to two minutes before I know I send you an email saying that you had won. The person's email ended up in my spam folder I don't know why."

So who thinks he is going to sends me something that is equal to a signed harbinger #1 gold variant by Joshua Dysart? Even better who thinks his excuse is real or that the book is sitting in his collection. If by some chance he telling the truth it is still the most F$%&ed up think i have ever experienced from a company. Well ill just wait again for Simon to make it up to me. Ill keep waiting and waiting and waiting... :rant:
That sucks, your word is your bond. If you were notified you won, you should get the prize regardless of the his error. If someone screws up they make it right, end of story. It's a matter of honour.