Shadowman #2

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Shadowman #2

Post by pixierosa »

I'm about to go pick up my copy. By the time I get back and have read it, I hope a lively discussion has started up. hint hint

And..... Go! :D
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Re: Shadowman #2 -

Post by kevinbastos »

Here we go, right?

Liked the comic. Not as crazy as the first one - in fact a little slower a pace. But liked the continuing development of the characters in the story - including Darque.

One panel in particular is brilliant. Reminiscent of some excellent film shots.

A slower pace is nice - especially after last month. Shows some great peeks into Jack as a man - and his new torment. It feels like a modern day anti-hero... Or Spider-Man updated. How much responsibility? Burden?

I also liked the juxtaposition of Deadside - smack against Jack in the shop. And back again.

Not certain how or if I will like the possession of Twist. But this new Darque fits right into the line of the story.

Minor aside... Anyone else also pick up Strode today?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Re: Shadowman #2

Post by pixierosa »

Let me start with the obvious. Beautiful art as usual. It read fast, but that's my fault for sticking my hand in the cookie jar and reading previews. Still didn't diminish the impact, tho. It's a solid story.

The cast is shaping up nicely. While I can't say any of them are unexpected in behaviors, I still find them appealing and appropriate.

Still have questions about the realm where Lyceum is located...

Also loved the Peter Pan quotes. I use that "straight on til morning" quote a lot. Nice sense of whimsy in what some might call a "horror" book.

Kudos. Want more.

p.s. didn't pick up Strode but keep hearing about it. may look into it. I went with all new x-men #3.

kevinbastos
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

pixierosa wrote:
p.s. didn't pick up Strode but keep hearing about it. may look into it. I went with all new x-men #3.
Take a read on the trade. Violent. SUPER-violent. And like a car wreck - not at all able to look away.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

I like it generally, but I feel it's a tad thin story-wise. No real explanation of the Shadowman Loa itself. If we hadnt had v1, I'd be more confused.

Darque is one of my favorite villains of all time, but I preferred him when his tattoos were more noticeable, rather than his head scars, and I liked his mysterious start in v1 better, as well as his robes as opposed to the armor he's wearing these days. But overall I like it.

Overall, it's a good read so far, but the characters still feel a little too one-note, but thatll most likely change as the isues progress. I'm hopeful.

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

I am on page 1, panel 2 and apparently life creates "Necromantic Energy"?

:?

I know I am the board of the "Nitpickers Anonymous" group but...there has got to be a better way of explaining that.

oh well, on to finish the book because I am a VEI zombie.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

JustinJordan
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by JustinJordan »

Zaphod wrote:I am on page 1, panel 2 and apparently life creates "Necromantic Energy"?

I know I am the board of the "Nitpickers Anonymous" group but...there has got to be a better way of explaining that.

Oh, it's called that for a reason, I assure you.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I REALLY like the analogy to computer programming.

Yes, it is possible to program in zeroes and ones, but it's much more efficient to program in a language.
Different languages have pros and cons, depending on what you're trying to do, but ultimately, they all "sit on top" of the same zeroes and ones underneath.
Different runes, rituals, past and present, all over the world... all tapping into the same "zeroes and ones" of the power underneath.

That's an amazing way to explain magic in the Valiant universe, particularly with the Arthur C. Clarke connection that magic, even ancient magic, could be advanced technology/science.

:clap:

Jaknife

Post by Jaknife »

greg wrote:I REALLY like the analogy to computer programming.

Yes, it is possible to program in zeroes and ones, but it's much more efficient to program in a language.
Different languages have pros and cons, depending on what you're trying to do, but ultimately, they all "sit on top" of the same zeroes and ones underneath.
Different runes, rituals, past and present, all over the world... all tapping into the same "zeroes and ones" of the power underneath.

That's an amazing way to explain magic in the Valiant universe, particularly with the Arthur C. Clarke connection that magic, even ancient magic, could be advanced technology/science.

That was well put.

But I agree with earlier comment. Necromantic energy, etymologically, deals with death. Not sure how it fits with life energy and magic overall.

greg

Post by greg »

Jaknife wrote:But I agree with earlier comment. Necromantic energy, etymologically, deals with death. Not sure how it fits with life energy and magic overall.
It seems to me the only way death can have energy is that life creates it.
Otherwise, a rock (always dead) would have more energy than a bone (once alive).

Not many belief systems put a rock above a bone when it comes to 'death energy'.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote:I REALLY like the analogy to computer programming.

+1! All that bit was excellent, loved the reference to Clarke!

Really dug the issue, some fantastic art, solid story, great dialogue & all the main characters are coming along nicely.

Glad that Jack, having no knowledge of what the hell just happened to him, still took the time to listen to Alyssa [even before 'magic hands'] and chose to at least believe she could provide him with some answers, rather than take a protracted 'I don't believe in this stuff and its not happening' approach.

Good humour throughout, too -loved the gentle admonishment from Dox about playing with Evil, its not a toy, lol!! :lol:

BIG :thumb: for this issue.

*also - I picked up the new Luther Strode too, but SM #2 was top of the 'read pile' :D
Last edited by grendeljd on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:07:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

greg wrote:
Jaknife wrote:But I agree with earlier comment. Necromantic energy, etymologically, deals with death. Not sure how it fits with life energy and magic overall.
Otherwise, a rock (always dead) would have more energy than a bone (once alive).

Not many belief systems put a rock above a bone when it comes to 'death energy'.
Agree with Greg. Where does the "energy" go when we die (if someone doesn't harness it)?

+1 also for his computer response.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I agree on the points made about the Magic as Computer Programing Language. This may also explain how the Boon works, as it is covered in symbols as well.

I also was curious about the use of Necromantic to refer to all "magical" energy, but the explanation of being produced by life makes sense. It may also explain why Darque and Twist are so powerful. Dox uses his own energy to power the bullet--a limited supply and may even be draining on him. Darque and Twist access the energy released after death--greater supply, more power and less personal drain.

This issue stands out for me as a 2nd issue because it does such a great job at fleshing out the supporting cast. We get a much bigger look at Darque, who is shaping up to be a truly fear-inducing villain, as well as the Abettors, Twist and even a glimpse at the Bretheren. At this point it feels like we are well set up for the rest of this arc and those to come.
Last edited by BugsySig on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:17:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

JustinJordan wrote:
Zaphod wrote:I am on page 1, panel 2 and apparently life creates "Necromantic Energy"?

Oh, it's called that for a reason, I assure you.
Necromancy has to do with the dead, not the living. It is why Necromancers "raise the dead, zombies and in certain stories can even control Vampires, the un-dead.

It would have been better (IMO) to allow for necromantic power and a power that comes from the living (the human soul? sounds corny but I'd buy into that)

I hate Twist. Hate. It sure detracts from the "World outside your window" vibe that I was hooked on all those years ago.

This is a different universe, different time sure.

Loved how they are dealing with Darque this time ago and Deadside.

So I'm still along for the ride but...tenuously.
Last edited by Zaphod on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:19:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

Most importantly gentlemen and lady, this issue confirms what we all were left wondering after the first issue: Dox is a little person. Tee hee.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

greg wrote:

Well a rock would have no energy. No life. I think life energy could be seperated from the energy expelled by a person dying quite easily.

As I lead off with, it's nitpicking for sure. I understand the want to use the term "Necromantic Energy" and in the context of how the living can utilize their own energies, trying to separate those terms probably would have been more confusing for new readers than to bother.

JustinJordan
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by JustinJordan »

Zaphod wrote:
Necromancy has to do with the dead, not the living.
I know. Like I said, there's a reason (actually, several, but they dovetail together) why it's called that. But that's probably the sort of thing best revealed in the book, rather than a message board.

But I can tell you it's not because I don't know what necro refers to.

JustinJordan
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by JustinJordan »

KXXX wrote:Most importantly gentlemen and lady, this issue confirms what we all were left wondering after the first issue: Dox is a little person. Tee hee.
Hah, I wasn't aware that was at all ambiguous. But yes, he is.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

JustinJordan wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
Necromancy has to do with the dead, not the living.
I know. Like I said, there's a reason (actually, several, but they dovetail together) why it's called that. But that's probably the sort of thing best revealed in the book, rather than a message board.

But I can tell you it's not because I don't know what necro refers to.

this is why it is problematic to review a comic book a single issue at a time. It certainly wasn't meant to sound like a *SQUEE* message board critic. It probably did.

:thumb:

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

Just popped into my head how the Geomancers of yesteryear (can't wait to meet the new one) can talk to anything "of" the earth and man-made... if this concept continues into the new Valiant, it's safe to say that all things have an energy source, whether once alive or not.

Necrotic does refer to death, but technically we're all slowly dying. Stealing a "soul", however, makes us humans the ultimate battery.

Also just thought of how Edward in Harbinger "steals" energy from mass to power himself and thus destroys the donor... similar concept here.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

JustinJordan wrote:
KXXX wrote:Most importantly gentlemen and lady, this issue confirms what we all were left wondering after the first issue: Dox is a little person. Tee hee.
Hah, I wasn't aware that was at all ambiguous. But yes, he is.
I wasn't 100% on it after the last issue. Seeing his little stool, though...

So is he a nod to Jaunty? You can tell me. I'll keep it secret.

greg

Post by greg »

I was thinking more of matter and anti-matter, but with energy.

I guess I was picturing "death energy" as building up during the life of an individual (or plant, whatever)... but building up in an "anti-life" realm.

So, as someone lives, grows, gets older in "the world outside my window", their death energy would be building, growing on the other "dead side".

The way necromatic energy is created is on "that side" by the life on "this side".

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

greg wrote:I was thinking more of matter and anti-matter, but with energy.

I guess I was picturing "death energy" as building up during the life of an individual (or plant, whatever)... but building up in an "anti-life" realm.

So, as someone lives, grows, gets older in "the world outside my window", their death energy would be building, growing on the other "dead side".

The way necromatic energy is created is on "that side" by the life on "this side".
Nice. :thumb:

greg

Post by greg »

Next question:

Who is the maintenance engineer who tried to adopt Jack and give him a sister a little older?
It doesn't look like Dox. If anything, it looks like Josiah. :hm:

The page from the book is Tarzan... seems to indicate that Jack is born and raised "in the wild", not knowing he's actually important (Lord Greystoke).

Kala is also mentioned, the one who raises Tarzan, but isn't his real mother (isn't even human).
Kala is killed, but Tarzan avenges her.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:Next question:

Who is the maintenance engineer who tried to adopt Jack and give him a sister a little older?
It doesn't look like Dox. If anything, it looks like Josiah. :hm:
I think the end of the dream trailed away from the real memory. Perhaps the maintenance engineer (or janitor) ends up being Jacks adopted father and we will meet this family at some point. It would be a nice little connection if he or the "big sister" turned out to be someone we already know from another book.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t