THE SPECULATION THREAD FOR VEI'S FUTURE BOOKS & PLOTLINES

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Re: THE SPECULATION THREAD FOR VEI'S FUTURE BOOKS & PLOTLINE

Post by hawkeyeps »

ShadowTuga wrote:On the light of recent revelations, my guess is that Rai will appear first as background feature that will eventually replace one of the current 5 books' "previews" page (BS?) after the Harbinger WARS "event/crossover".
If Bloodshot could turn in to Rai, could A&A turn in to Eternal Warrior :hm:

I could always go for more VALIANT titles but it is an interesting theory.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

hawkeyeps wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:On the light of recent revelations, my guess is that Rai will appear first as background feature that will eventually replace one of the current 5 books' "previews" page (BS?) after the Harbinger WARS "event/crossover".
If Bloodshot could turn in to Rai, could A&A turn in to Eternal Warrior :hm:

I could always go for more VALIANT titles but it is an interesting theory.
It would be only temporary, sort of an homage to the first Rai series on Magnus. 8-)
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

A Bloodshot/Rai flip book?

Sounds awesome :thumb:

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I'm guessing that the next series coming out will be HARDCorps. I think this will spin out of the Harbinger Wars as the US govt forms an official response team that can deal with Harbingers. Or maybe it will be a private company (in homage to the original series) that the govt is just subcontracting for services. This would leave the door open for that working relationship to sour for some reason, thus leading to the govt instituting an all military based team, maybe using powered armor to compete with the harbingers (ala Armorines!)??

As for Rai, I'm still half convinced that he is the Bleeding Monk. I don't know how/why he would be in the present day, but I know that he would be pretty lonley in the future since there can't be a Magnus or Solar version there to help anchor that end of the timeline. I love the idea of Rai as a character, but I don't see how they do the whole 'protector of Grandmother' in future Japan as the only future title. The only other characters they would have rights to that could appear in the future reasonably would be Psi-Lords (which I would love to see again!), or future versions of Eternal Warrior/ Armstrong/Timewalker. I just don't think they could pull off selling 2 Eternal Warrior series or 2 Armstrong series (1 present and 1 future). Unless they just make one title for the whole year 4000 thing and change up which main character is featured as they go. Kinda like Magnus ended up being at the end of the run mixing Magnus/Rai/and Psi-lords.

But what would the year 4000 look like? Do they do all of the robs and freewills in NorthAM? CAN they even use those terms?? I think they'd be better off finding some way to make Rai a character in the current present day timeline. Whether he is FROM the future or not (to keep the whole thread of him being a recreation of the Bloodshot meme and maybe carrying the 'Blood of Heroes', etc) is a tougher question.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

I think they could rewrite Rai in modern Japan as kind of spiritual defender. Kind of like Japan's own geomancer and fist and steel in one. They could reverse the whole Rai being based on Bloodshot thing in VH1 by having this Bloodshot be an attempt to remake Rai.
Like Shadowman is a loa (or at least connected to them) Rai could be related to the kami.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

If I remember right, Rai was shown at C2E2 with a date of April 2013. Since the "Winter 2012" Eternal Warrior was a guest spot in A&A, I would say that a Rai appearance in the Harbinger Wars (which starts in April) is highly likely. My guess, is the Bleeding Monk is a reverse aging Rai. I think the last Harbinger mentioned something about him living in the future or something.

The only thing we know for sure is that Warren said that Rai would be going in a new direction. I just hope to God (like many) that he isn't going to be a present day hero. We have Bloodshot... we don't need him here.

Chris Campbell
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Chris Campbell »

So is Harbinger Wars the new title announcement that Dino teased on a recent OTV article, or will there be an ongoing announcement.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Chris Campbell wrote:So is Harbinger Wars the new title announcement that Dino teased on a recent OTV article, or will there be an ongoing announcement.
When was the Dino tease? I must have missed that.

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

etos45 wrote:
Chris Campbell wrote:So is Harbinger Wars the new title announcement that Dino teased on a recent OTV article, or will there be an ongoing announcement.
Sorry, I meant podcast. I think it was the LBCC interview where he said there would be an announcement in 30-45 days. Was just wondering if Harbinger Wars was it.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Chris Campbell wrote:
etos45 wrote:
Sorry, I meant podcast. I think it was the LBCC interview where he said there would be an announcement in 30-45 days. Was just wondering if Harbinger Wars was it.
That was Fred, not Dino (Woah...Flintstones Flashback...) who teased on the podcast. And, yes, I believe it is the book he was talking about.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

BugsySig wrote:
Chris Campbell wrote:
etos45 wrote:
That was Fred, not Dino (Woah...Flintstones Flashback...) who teased on the podcast. And, yes, I believe it is the book he was talking about.
That's what I was afraid of. In that interview he talked about a 'collision' of forces or books, then I saw that same terminology in the CBR or Newsarama sneak peak about Harbinger Wars itself. I was just hoping that the next title would be a permanent addition, not a limited series.

Maybe it can be in a way though. What if something spins out of Harbinger Wars that becomes an ongoing and just assumes that shipping slot so that you get Harby Wars 4 in July, then #1 issue of something else in August? That'd be cool. Although I still hope that they add at least 1 other regular book to the mix earlier in the year.
Viva la Valiant!

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

I'm in the camp that says we either see Ninjak or possibly HARD Corps as the 6th book.
I wouldn't rule out a Geomancer book as book #7, the line could use a female led book imo. Sight unseen I'm assuming she'll be strongly written with lots of growth potential(she is a young Geomancer afterall). Like Shadowman, lots to explore as they grow.
Rai will appear by Mar/April but not yet have a book. I'd love for him to be set in some future, doesn't have to be 4000 A.D. this time or use the Grandmother material. Since I want Rai in both places when convenient we need a medium for him to traverse. Enter Ivar, not sure why he hasn't been mentioned yet. Perhaps Ivar's first big return(not counting that brief A&A#1 showing) will be during Harbinger Wars as well? What if he brings Rai back from the future to aid against PRS?

Not sure where this Quantum and Woody love comes from. If VEI does a Q&W it will be the first book I don't buy. Didn't like the characters then. They would require a massive over haul for me to even pick up the #1. So much more to do before the dimwit duo is even really discussed imo.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

VEI could launch any title as they wish, but I believe they won't. In order for VEI to launch its next title... this requires strategy/marketing/business/sales planning.

Looking at these #'s

VEI's 1st Issue Sales #'s:
Shadowman #1 25,048 copies sold (Nov)
A&A #1 23,464 copies sold (Aug)
Bloodshot #1 29,224 copies sold (July)
Harbinger #1 32,111 copies sold (June)
X-O #1 42,708 copies sold (May)

VEI's November (Most Current) 2012 Sales #'s:
Shadowman #1 25,048 copies sold
X-O Manowar #7 14,527 copies sold
Harbinger #6 13,617 copies sold
Archer & Armstrong #4 13,478 copies sold
Bloodshot #5 13,156 copies sold

I believe VEI is playing smart by not introducing a new tittle left or right, but making sure that each title will be strong sales #'s and readership for sustainability. As we speak, the sales #'s per title is still decreasing an average 10% each month. The numbers need to stablize or start increasing sooner or later before another title is introduced.

If VEI launches any of these titles: Geomancer, Q&W, Eternal Warrior, RAI, Ninjak, HARD CORPS or Secret Weapons and their #1 issue sells below 15k copies, that would just be a wonderful waste of time IMO. Sales can possibly drop 10% each month and it could be the first VEI tittle to get cancelled due to low sales #'s

Ninjak's introduction in X-O increased the sales of X-O Manowar #5 for that month only. (possibly because of Ninjak or the X-O Manowar Gold Incentive)

IMO, I believe the next Valiant title should be RAI or HARD CORPS and it needs to be marketed very heavily to sell atleast 25K-30K copies on its first issue. I'm not even sure if RAI and HARD CORPS can sell that many copies on its #1 issue. Harbinger and X-O Manowar are the Top 2 Favorites or the Best VEI books from viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Nov sales for each of these titles did not even go over 15,000 copies.

I have to agree with Captain Craig, I do not know where all this Q&W love is coming from. If VEI launches Q&W and its sales falls below 15K for its first issue... its going to be VERY VERY difficult to get the sales #'s higher going forward. facepalm

Ninjak has already been featured in X-O and the sales #s did improve for X-O #5. But does VEI think that Ninjak having its own tittle will be successful... maybe not.

Obviously Shadowman needed his own title because its already popular in its own right. Most of us love Shadowman and we know Jack has his fanbase.

Eternal Warrior was just introduced and I am eager to find out A&A #5's sales numbers. If the #'s look good with VEI, they may just go ahead and give Eternal Warrior its own book. If not... I think they will hold it until who knows when....

Before VEI launches any more titles... #'s of the current titles need to go higher or atleast even out. If not... its facepalm

I am sure with all the thinking caps of VEI management... the next tittle will be around or above 25K copies. VEI's creative team + incentives (limited variants) should do the trick. :wink: :P

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

I have to agree about Quantum and Woody, I have no attachment to these characters what so ever. I had never even heard of them until VEI started talking about it being on Comixology. By the time their book came out VALIANT was already long dead to me as was my interest in comics in general. To me they are not even part of the Valiant universe, if I never see a book about them I would be fine with that. Besides A&A is already a humorous buddy book (which is their lowest selling), why have another when there are so many other better characters in the catalog?

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

Dr mirage makes thoughtful points. I think I co-sign most of them. What are we thinks in terms of ongoings by summer? Just 1 or 2 more before San Diego?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

hawkeyeps wrote:I have to agree about Quantum and Woody, I have no attachment to these characters what so ever. I had never even heard of them until VEI started talking about it being on Comixology. By the time their book came out VALIANT was already long dead to me as was my interest in comics in general. To me they are not even part of the Valiant universe, if I never see a book about them I would be fine with that. Besides A&A is already a humorous buddy book (which is their lowest selling), why have another when there are so many other better characters in the catalog?
I always felt the same way, but based onminternet and media chatter, they seem to be one of the most popular requests for a new series. I would still like to see Rai, Eternal Warrior and a few others first, if only because it repeats much of what A&A is as a concept in many ways.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

Internet chatter isn't enough reason imo for any media endeavor.

The online chatting it up of Snakes on a Plane anyone? Other factors have to back up a minority voice online.

I know a few VALIANT fans not online and when I asked them "what about Q&W coming soon" I get the "You're just f*#cking with me, right?".

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Captain Craig wrote:Internet chatter isn't enough reason imo for any media endeavor.

The online chatting it up of Snakes on a Plane anyone? Other factors have to back up a minority voice online.

I know a few VALIANT fans not online and when I asked them "what about Q&W coming soon" I get the "You're just f*#cking with me, right?".
Not saying it means its up next, just that its probably in the discussion because it is a top 8 VEI property in terms of previous popularity and fan following.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

^^^^^
Q&W a top 8 property? Legit question here, no sarcasm...based on what?

Playing devils advocate I'd say we've already got VALIANTS top 8, wholly owned, characters/books on the board right now.
  • 1-XO Manowar
    2-Harbinger
    3-Archer & Armstrong
    4-Bloodshot
    5-Shadowman
    6-Ninjak
    7-Eternal Warrior
    8-Rai
We then have (9)Geomancer, the main VEI character, coming in weeks. I see more typed about (10)HARD Corps, (11)Armorines and (12)Dr.Mirage than I do Q&W, till this thread anyway. I'd be for an (13)Ivar the Timewalker first before those two. We've also talked about (14)Secret Weapons? My numbering is in no particular order, just characters/books I see as having been discussed with more heart about the 'net than Q&W(till this thread for some reason). I just don't see Q&W as even in the top 10 or 12 of properties VEI should be pursuing. Not for a couple yeas and/or till they have at least 10/12 titles already established with healthy readership bases.

Once you get into things like Psi-Lords and/or Visitor then perhaps Q&W can enter the discussion. I'd rather have those 12-14 books first, healthy readership on the stands, marketshare etc before Q&W ever enters serious discussion for an ongoing.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Captain Craig wrote:^^^^^
Q&W a top 8 property? Legit question here, no sarcasm...based on what?

Playing devils advocate I'd say we've already got VALIANTS top 8, wholly owned, characters/books on the board right now.
  • 1-XO Manowar
    2-Harbinger
    3-Archer & Armstrong
    4-Bloodshot
    5-Shadowman
    6-Ninjak
    7-Eternal Warrior
    8-Rai
We then have (9)Geomancer, the main VEI character, coming in weeks. I see more typed about (10)HARD Corps, (11)Armorines and (12)Dr.Mirage than I do Q&W, till this thread anyway. I'd be for an (13)Ivar the Timewalker first before those two. We've also talked about (14)Secret Weapons? My numbering is in no particular order, just characters/books I see as having been discussed with more heart about the 'net than Q&W(till this thread for some reason). I just don't see Q&W as even in the top 10 or 12 of properties VEI should be pursuing. Not for a couple yeas and/or till they have at least 10/12 titles already established with healthy readership bases.

Once you get into things like Psi-Lords and/or Visitor then perhaps Q&W can enter the discussion. I'd rather have those 12-14 books first, healthy readership on the stands, marketshare etc before Q&W ever enters serious discussion for an ongoing.
I agree that we should see most of these books before a Q&W book. Another buddy comedy book? Really? Make them show up somewhere else to help out or something, but an ongoing title? Not yet I hope. Many others I'd rather see first.

Eternal Warrior could easily spin out of the A&A second arc issues 5-8 after dealing with Gilad. I don't think a seperate Geomancer title should follow, but I think she should be a big part of the Eternal Warrior book if there is one. Maybe even a full partner? The whole reason behind making a seperate Geomancer book was for the 'Earth' to be deciding that it could have a Geomancer that could take care of themselves without the Fist and Steel behind it. Not that the girl they've shown as the upcomming geomancer in A&A couldn't possibly take care of herself, but it would be kind of soon to cut that cord story-wise I think.

Hardcorps could easily spin out of Harbinger Wars as the public figures out that there are these dangerous Harbingers out there and that Harada has his own private army. Now the government needs a PUBLIC force (as opposed to the secretive PRS, IF they survive Bloodshot even!) to combat the psiot threat or just to hunt Harada down.

I'd love to see Rai again, but I just don't know how they do it. Do they put him alone in the 4000 timeline? Or just Rai and Psi-Lords (which I would love to see again, but others don't care for)? I just wonder if it's wise to split the universe into two seperate time periods like that. It's like making it into two seperate non-connected universes. And a big part of the Valiant appeal is that interconnectedness. I just fear that it creates a weakpoint for the shared universe that might lead to that year 4000 section atrophying and dying off due to less readership. I think it would be better if they can find some way to keep the core of what Rai is and yet have him in the present day with the rest of the titles and have him not be a carbon coby of Bloodshot, then it would have a better chance for success. I just have no freaking idea how you pull that off. :?
Viva la Valiant!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

I totally agree that all those other books should get a shot before Q&W (except Geomancer, which I think should remain within EW and not on its own).

I am just telling you that I troll plenty of news sites, message boards, twitter, Facebook, etc, and Q&W comes up more than Rai and Ninjak, and is perhaps even with EW. I *SQUEE* you not, this is the case and VEI has to have taken notice.

I don't think they fit well in the new VALIANT, and would prefer Rai, EW, HARD Corps, Dr. Mirage, Secret Weapons and Timewalker before Q&W. what I do thik will happen is a VALIANT Masters collection (or two) in the near future (after Ninjak, Eternal Warrior and Shadowman).

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

It's my first post

Huge Valiant fan back in the day and lovin' the revival.

I think it would be smart to do a 3 or 5 issue mini-series for Eternal Warrior and Ninjak.
Less risk involved and if the mini-series generates enough buzz and love maybe you make them an ongoing series or perhaps you continue to do 3-5 issue mini-series every year for those 2 characters with them weaving in and out of storylines in the other ongoing books.

I think a mini-series is a great way to keep the characters fresh and anticipating the next writer or artist to take on the character. EW is obviously a character that different writers can have a lot of fun with - considering the character is Eternal and can be placed in many historical plot lines. And Ninjak with his James Bond like persona can be great in mini-series form.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

bygranddesign wrote:It's my first post

Huge Valiant fan back in the day and lovin' the revival.

I think it would be smart to do a 3 or 5 issue mini-series for Eternal Warrior and Ninjak.
Less risk involved and if the mini-series generates enough buzz and love maybe you make them an ongoing series or perhaps you continue to do 3-5 issue mini-series every year for those 2 characters with them weaving in and out of storylines in the other ongoing books.

I think a mini-series is a great way to keep the characters fresh and anticipating the next writer or artist to take on the character. EW is obviously a character that different writers can have a lot of fun with - considering the character is Eternal and can be placed in many historical plot lines. And Ninjak with his James Bond like persona can be great in mini-series form.
Welcome to the board. There's a place to introduce yourself and tell how you got into Valiant here viewforum.php?f=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

kevinbastos wrote:I think that SOMEone may have been seen already - and we haven't noticed him or her. I also think that Quantum & Woody is on the agenda for the 2013 slate - but uncertain how it will be handled. I again refer to the relative silence of the Priest site.

I also have an odd feeling that something new on the horizon may launch... Sorta a Secret Weapons renaming. Something like a previous release, or including from the pantheon of characters - but with a newer title or grouping. But please, not a Harbinger Red/Blue thing.
Some in-thread links led me down a rabbit-hole here. Had to bump this up and say nice guess.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

ShadowTuga wrote:I didn't find one of those sticky "General And Mostly Unfounded Speculation about the VEI'S FUTURE"" thread across the boards.
If there is one, feel free to merge or close this as redundant, Admins. No hard feelings, I hope. :D

So, I'll start myelf;

-Rai will have his 1st appearance in BS, issue 10, after the prs invasion arc ends.

-Secret Weapons will have a line-up comprised of Livewire, Stronghold, Ninjak and Darpan :o ; major characters will often appear.

- By issue 4 or 5, Shadowman will be the top-seller of the line.

-
I got Unity/SW 50% right. But the Shadowman speculation was just idiotic optimism at the time. facepalm
Good find, kj. With all the stuff coming out in the last weeks, this thread comes in handy. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo