NEEDED: Suggestion for 8/9 years old girl (and mother)

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)
NEEDED: Suggestion for 8/9 years old girl (and mother)

Post by cjv »

In my effort to get my daughter into comics, I would like to sign her up for an ongoing series. She already likes lots of related things - loved the Avengers movie (along with Captain America, Thor, Fantastic Four, and Iron Man). She loves Dr. Who, Star Wars, Harry Potter. And of course, being a little girl, she Disney Princess, Barbie, Horses, Dolphins, etc. She also loved Bone.

I was going to try to get her the Princeless series, but it looks like that has already finished (it appears to have been a 4 issue limited series). Any other recommendations for her? Something with a female heroine, preferably a girl, maybe a princess or superhero, would probably be ideal. She wouldn't really like something like Spongebob (she hates it) or Sonic (I don't think the story would be involved enough).

If you have any suggestions for the wife, let me know as well. She loved Bone, and really liked Watchmen. She has a difficult time "getting into" comics, simply because of the format of the comic book (especially ones with lots of splash pages, oddly laid out panels, etc). She also likes the superhero movies, but probably would not enjoy the superhero comics. She loves Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Dr. Who. She even enjoyed the Tick live action series. I tried to get her to read Astro City once, and Sandman. Sandman was too hard for her to get into, but she liked the couple of Astro City comics.

Thanks!

Chris

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: NEEDED: Suggestion for 8/9 years old girl (and mother)

Post by Elveen »

Mouse Guard for both and for the wife, Fables.

MrBigFeathas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by MrBigFeathas »

I agree with Fables for the wife. My wife really wants to read it and she loves shows like Grimm and Once Upon a Time.
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

MrBigFeathas wrote:I agree with Fables for the wife. My wife really wants to read it and she loves shows like Grimm and Once Upon a Time.

Fables yes....... Grimm Fairy Tales is more like Tales from the crypt, just so you know.

MrBigFeathas
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Gilad/Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by MrBigFeathas »

Elveen wrote:
MrBigFeathas wrote:I agree with Fables for the wife. My wife really wants to read it and she loves shows like Grimm and Once Upon a Time.

Fables yes....... Grimm Fairy Tales is more like Tales from the crypt, just so you know.
I meant she watches the TV shows Grimm and Once Upon a Time. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't go for for the Grimm Fairy Tales comic. Especially because of the art lol.
My Collection: http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=50094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

When my daughter was that age she liked the Betty and Veronica comics ... light and fluffy but she read dozens of them.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Wolverine: First Class - for your daughter

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane - for your wife

wokuya
Valiant fan since: the beginning
Favorite character: Shadowman

Post by wokuya »

BONE by Jeff Smith
AKIKO by Mark Crilley (comics or novels)
LEAVE IT TO CHANCE
AMELIA RULES

all for both... :thumb:

wallywest1980
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by wallywest1980 »

A damn fine book for the wife, (and you can read it when she isn't looking.) Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore. Every chick (and guy) I've put it in front of has fallen in love with it. As for the daughters? Jax Epoch and the quicken forbidden, good for ALL ages.
Life is the urge of a few million cells to be you for a while.

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

Lots of good ideas.

Unfortunately some of those my wife/daughter have tried and read (Bone, for example) or not been able to get into.

I also should have specified, I am looking for current, ongoing series, (especially for my daughter) so she can enjoy the monthly "trip to the comic store" with me. :)

Chris

MichaelPaytonMZ
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by MichaelPaytonMZ »

Elveen wrote:

Don't insult Tales from the Crypt like that. EC comics were literate. :P

I agree. Give Fables a shot. There are over two dozen volumes of the trade paperback, with the Jack of Fables, Cinderella and other spin-offs. Try the Tick comics for your wife as well. Actually your daughter might like them too.

Try Supergirl for your daughter. With the reboot, it's got a nice jumping on point, and even if she's not into super heroes, the story is less about being a superhero and more about a young girl finding herself on an alien planet and discovering that her home and everyone in her family is gone (except for this weird adult that barely speaks Kryptonian, but claims to be her baby cousin).

Also, be on the look out for Sword of Sorcery in September, with the revival of Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. It's being written by Christy Marx, creator of the 1980s cartoon, Jem. DC's also reprinting the old Amethyst comics in one of their big B&W Showcase volumes in September. Only $11 at Amazon for a 648 page book. http://www.amazon.com/Showcase-Presents ... 1401236774

Does she like the Young Justice cartoon? Lots of girls seem to love the romance and adventure in that show. (And to be honest, it's better than any Teen Titans OR Justice League comic book we've had for the past decade.) The show's writers also do a monthly comic that ties directly into the show and fills in a lot of the odd gaps that need to be left out of a 20 minute cartoon. DC actually has a nice selection of kids' comics, from Scooby Doo to Looney Toons. IIRC, Joe Stanton is still drawing Scooby Doo.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The now defunct MC-2 Universe from Marvel is IMHO great for kids. I would say that Spider-Girl is a very postive role model for young girls and teens.

Peter David's 80 issue run on Supergirl and his Young Justice series are great reads.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

MichaelPaytonMZ

Post by MichaelPaytonMZ »

If your wife like gangster movies/TV give 100 Bullets a shot. Transmetropolitan might work for her as well, if she like British sci-fi.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

My wife *really* liked V for Vendetta - a strong female character in there, and another great Moore book if your wife already likes Watchmen... she also liked the original Crow story by O'Barr...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Your wife might get a kick out of Jennifer Blood, just don't let your daughter read it until she's about 18, and if she like Alan Moore she might like Prometha. She might also do well to check out Peter David's X-Factor and The Fallen Angel.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

Cyberstrike wrote:The now defunct MC-2 Universe from Marvel is IMHO great for kids. I would say that Spider-Girl is a very postive role model for young girls and teens.
+1
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Daughter:
Tiny Titans
Boom Disney comics

For the wife:
Pride of Baghdad
Fables