1995 Javitz convention... and hey, what's in that briefcase?

Users can share photos of their VALIANT collections, your own museum for everyone to tour. No comments allowed by visitors in the gallery threads, just your own space to show and describe your own collection. Free admission for everyone to "The VALIANT Gallery".

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
1995 Javitz convention... and hey, what's in that briefcase?

Post by jmatt »

Okay, well as I mentioned at the end of my "signature help" thread, I stumbled into my swag bag from the 1995 Javitz convention (I was wrong, it wasn't in the NY Convention Center). Some of it's mundane, some of it is nice, signed promotional material. I figured I'd post some of it to get attendees psyched for the upcoming Chicago convention.

As I grabbed the bag to take these photos, I looked over in the corner and said "Hey, didn't I stick something in that old hardside briefcase over there...". That stuff is original production art that I'd almost forgotten about. Check it out. :D

Okay, so a little walk down memory lane for anyone that was there. Some unsigned posters, etc:

Image Image

I was buddies with a few artists on Compuserve back in the early nineties; we'd always discuss/argue politics hence the odd salutations; two of them (Ted Slampyak and Mike Harris) personalized some promo postcards for me. Ted jotted his Compuserve ID under his signature. Ahh, the good old days...

Image Image

Valiant was handing out other promotional materials that I got signed. First, a b&w Knighthawk cover signed by Peter Stone:

Image Image

A signed Bar Sinister poster by Mike Grell:

Image Image

The Visitor pages signed by Bernard Chang:

And probably the nicest one, Jack Boniface Indicted, signed by Bob Hall:

Image Image

And of course, my creme de la creme:

And then there was that dusty old briefcase I mentioned. I knew I had stuck one piece of production material in it... I'm not even sure what you call these. It's acetates laid over color art with the the words for the balloons literally pasted on to it. Approval sheets,I guess, as indicated.

Shadowman #18, page 12:

Shadowman #18 page 14:

Psi-Lords #8 page 1

Psi-Lords #8 page 18:

This has been so much fun! :clap:

jmatt
Re: 1995 Javitz convention... and hey, what's in that briefc

Post by jmatt »

Ya know, I'm gonna have to go digging around in these boxes more. I was yanking out more issues for my pre-unity re-read and discovered that I got more signed than I remembered. I stumbled across issues #1 - #5 of X-O Manowar, all signed by Jorge Gonzalez, Bob Layton and Don Perlin.

I guess I need to hunt down Jim Shooter and Steve Englehart at a con, someday.

jmatt
Re: 1995 Javitz convention... and hey, what's in that briefc

Post by jmatt »

Okay, took a closer look at the X-O section and here's what I found:

Two copies of X-O #1, both signed by Don Perlin, Jorge Gonzalez and Bob Layton. In the photos, some of the signatures are tough to see against the gray background, unfortunately.

Then it's two copies of X-O #2, one signed by Bob Layton, Jorge and Kathryn Bolinger; and the other just with Bob and Jorge:

And lastly, X-O #3 and #4, signed by Jorge Gonzalez, Bob Layton and Tom Ryder:

I had completely forgotten about these signed books. D'oh! :banana: