cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)
Can't believe I haven't posted here

Post by cjv »

I was looking here, and I can't believe I haven't posted my Valiant story.

Unless I did it on someone else's thread and forgot about it.

My first exposure to Valiant Comics was reading about XO Manowar in Wizard, which I had no idea what company or title it was. The first Valiant I bought was Shadowman 1. Soon afterward, I also bought Archer and Armstrong 0, which blew me away in terms of the story - completely different from anything I had read at that point. I then bought all the Unity issues, and after Unity was collecting everything but Magnus, Rai and the Future Force, and one other (I forget which one). It was a little after Unity when I started Valiant Visions, the online bi-monthly Valiant newsletter. The newsletter had reviews, discussion, creator interviews, all sorts of stuff (and can be linked here),

Through the newsletter, I was able to meet a bunch of Valiant people, although my main contact was Paul Fairchild. I eventually was collecting all the issues. This was before websites were really popular, or I may have designed a website instead! I know that I eventually had back issues on the web, and people could subscribe on the web.

My interest waned, however, when Acclaim bouth Valiant. With the launch of the Acclaim titles (VH3, right?), I stuck around for a few issues, but then I got accepted into Grad school and stopped collecting entirely. Pretty much all the people I had known in the offices were gone at that point. I got back into Valiants when I found this website in early 2002 (or was it 2003).

So I never was one of the "pre-Unity" guys, but I like to think that through my newsletter I got a lot of people interested. I think at the peak distribution, we had about 150 members or so.

Chris