JIM SHOOTER IS AN IDIOT!!(or just made poor choices)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
JIM SHOOTER IS AN IDIOT!!(or just made poor choices)

Post by valiantdude »

ive been out of the loop for awhile.. but i just was bored an decided to see how jims titles at DH were doing, only to find..
THEY WERE CANCELED!!
big surprise there, if you actually read them they kinda seemed rushed and lame..

But i just cant believe how lame the whole thing was..because
he ripped off dino and decided to jump ship for Dark Horse, who now have canceled the comics and will probably give up their license of the characters.
which means...
if he wouldve just stayed with Dino, they couldve aquired the rights to the gold key characters,
relaunched the valiant universe the way it shouldve been relaunched, and he would most likely still have a job..
and we the og fans wouldve got exactly what we wanted...
but instead he burned bridges with dino and VEI, put out crappy remakes, and is now without a job..
ITS SO LAME!!
i dont really know what the final motivation was for going with dark horse, maybe he didnt want to work on things created after his departure from VH1, but still.
It wouldve been way cooler to rethread the orig valiant universe which so many people around the world were waiting for..
ive been watching these developments for over 10 years..and this is how it turned out...
wow..

that being said

what are the chances of VEI getting the rights to the gold key characters now?

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Re: JIM SHOOTER IS AN IDIOT!!(or just made poor choices)

Post by betterthanezra »

I don't agree with the decisions Jim has made during this whole thing.

Why do you say it's been canceled? Sure the printing schedule is a joke. But canceled?

Are you for real? Jim Shooter is LAME???? seriously????

Jim screwed VEI and went to DH that's not new news and now looking back at it sure it was not the best choice

I expect this topic to be in oblivion very soon.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

That's quite a sensationalist headline you've chosen there.

I'm sure there are dozens of ways to see the events and probably none of them are completely right.

If you're VEI and you need to choose a person to help you bring back the Valiant universe, you might choose Jim Shooter.
Who could blame you?

If you're Jim Shooter and you need to choose between working for a couple of guys who are new to the industry or a guy who's been around a long time and established his company... you might pick the established guy.
Who could blame you?

If you're Dark Horse and you've gotten the rights to Dr. Solar, Magnus, and Turok, and you've convinced Jim Shooter to work for you, but the books aren't making any money... you might start thinking about cutting your losses.
Who could blame you?

If you're Dark Horse and you've decided to stop publishing Dr. Solar, Magnus, and Turok, but you know that a competitor is interested in those properties, you might just sit on them and do nothing at all.
Who could blame you?

If you're VEI and you've tried to work with Jim Shooter and you've tried to get the rights to Dr. Solar, Magnus, and Turok, but you know that neither of those things worked out, you need to choose other people to work with and you need to build a universe with characters where you have complete control.
Who could blame you?

If you're a fan of Valiant and Jim Shooter, you would like to see both of them back together, and you would like things to be as perfect as possible. You might be disappointed when things don't work out, and you might have a negative view of some of the people involved.
Who could blame you?

Blame is cheap and easy to throw around. It's unlikely that any of us are qualified to throw it in the right direction every time, though.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Whoa!

Jim Shooter's actions could turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to VEI. Shooter thinks 60s comics work today. They don't as was obvious from the DK line. If VEI put out stuff similar to the DK stuff, I would quit buying that crap too even if the Gold Key 3 were involved.

Is it likely that the Gold Key 3 are involved? No. I'd guess that VEI wanting those characters is on the back burner as there is yet another bad taste in consumers palettes for the GK 3 after the recent failure.

VEI may end up being stronger if their books reflect what consumers are likely to enjoy (unlike Shooter's DK).
ASM Crossover Home

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

I have to agree with Greg's post... lots of blame to go around.

I think it's a little funny that this post showed up today, because just yesterday I was talking to my wife about how Jim Shooter just has no luck when it comes to comic book universes. I'm not 100% sure of the score, but he was screwed out of Valiant, Defiant didn't make it long, I didn't even hear about Broadway until I came on this site (and that went bust), Unity 2000 was cancelled in the middle of the miniseries, bad mojo with the VEI people, and now the Dark Horse stuff.

I will agree that the Dark Horse stuff wasn't reading as well as I hoped, but I always had hope that it was tying into something. Looks like we'll never know now.

I'm actually kind of glad that VEI is launching without the Gold Key 3 because now they own all of the rights and there is never a concern about losing those rights in the future. They'll be missed, for sure, but there is still a lot of good there.

Anyways, Shooter seems to be a good guy (definitely not an idiot), but there have been some unfortunate things happen and this last one was of his own doing. Though, I don't blame him for going to DH because you would have thought that would have been the more-likely success. Looks like that was wrong, though... only time will tell.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/07/ ... cancelled/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

heres the info about the cancelation

i agree with greg on all points... that doesnt mean its not lame..

but..looking back at the legal stuff and how things have now turned out..

its pretty lame

he shouldve trusted the fact that a relaunch of the VALIANT universe could be successful if done right..and at least he couldve written a valiant solar (which is all i really wanted)

by the way all my opinions are just that..

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

valiantdude wrote:by the way all my opinions are just that..
Then I suggest you point that out from the beginning. Instead, you appear to be talking about something in which you may only know half the story, and even that is not first hand knowledge.

Throwing blame around is easy, in my opinion.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot

Post by MoonChild »

Jim seems like a real smart guy, an original, a creative genuis. All genuis are with faults as well. One thing I can agree on is I really wish he stayed with VEI a little longer to see it might have been worth the effort. But then again, it might have been heart breaking to him [to not have full creative control, the way he did originally] Valiant was his baby, you know. Who knows maybe he'll write a title or two for VEI, it could happen.
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Oh boy, this guy is back again. :roll:

This guy is the looneybird who swore up and down that he saw a Solar #10 white variant and had a meltdown when asked to provide proof.
valiantdude wrote:** EDIT ** Curse-filled rant related to the possibility
of a Solar #10 "White" cover was deleted by Greg
(There are kids reading this board...) ** EDIT **

So of course when he comes back, his first post is titled "JIM SHOOTER IS AN IDIOT!!", very nice.

Like you know any of the details behind the scenes about what happened between Shooter and VEI.

How this guy has never been banned but guys like ZWH and MOTA have been is just a farce.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

greg wrote:That's quite a sensationalist headline you've chosen there.

I'm sure there are dozens of ways to see the events and probably none of them are completely right.

If you're VEI and you need to choose a person to help you bring back the Valiant universe, you might choose Jim Shooter.
Who could blame you?

If you're Jim Shooter and you need to choose between working for a couple of guys who are new to the industry or a guy who's been around a long time and established his company... you might pick the established guy.
Who could blame you?

If you're Dark Horse and you've gotten the rights to Dr. Solar, Magnus, and Turok, and you've convinced Jim Shooter to work for you, but the books aren't making any money... you might start thinking about cutting your losses.
Who could blame you?

If you're Dark Horse and you've decided to stop publishing Dr. Solar, Magnus, and Turok, but you know that a competitor is interested in those properties, you might just sit on them and do nothing at all.
Who could blame you?

If you're VEI and you've tried to work with Jim Shooter and you've tried to get the rights to Dr. Solar, Magnus, and Turok, but you know that neither of those things worked out, you need to choose other people to work with and you need to build a universe with characters where you have complete control.
Who could blame you?

If you're a fan of Valiant and Jim Shooter, you would like to see both of them back together, and you would like things to be as perfect as possible. You might be disappointed when things don't work out, and you might have a negative view of some of the people involved.
Who could blame you?

Blame is cheap and easy to throw around. It's unlikely that any of us are qualified to throw it in the right direction every time, though.
This.

Not VEI's greatest supporter here (but I will support them in what they publish), and indeed not Jim Shooter's greatest fan (not least since his version of history - in relation to whichever publisher - seems to smack or revisionism, and some of his writing tricks and defaults don't work well for me), but Greg sums it up very well; some choices all around from all parties mentioned that have simply not worked out well. Doesn't make them idiots though does it, valiantdude? We can all be wise in hindsight.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

:? Who knows. Forget It, Drive On.

Make good comics and the past becomes a joke that dies from overkill. :thumb:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

X-O HoboJoe wrote::? Who knows. Forget It, Drive On.

Well put. At the end of the day, most of us just want good comics. :thumb:
ASM Crossover Home

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

400yrs wrote:

:thumb:
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

MoonChild
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot

Post by MoonChild »

caxiotis wrote:
400yrs wrote:

Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

MoonChild wrote:
caxiotis wrote:
400yrs wrote:

:clap:
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Jay Tomio wrote:I'm actually on the *SQUEE* Solar, Magnus and Turok mindset. ONLY THE VALIANT!

I'm starting to get on this bandwagon. If they're going to do a reboot anyways, I don't see the point of adding the potential problems that licensed characters could have. I really hope that some miracle happens and Shooter winds up back at Dark Horse with the Gold Key books, because I want the stories to continue.

If VEI finds some way to keep Phil and make him relatively the same character, the I don't see there being too big of a whole in the modern day Valiant... not sure how they will handle Rai and Psi-Lords, though, without 4001AD.

hotwings1979
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by hotwings1979 »

valiantdude: Please use proper sentence structure, including capitalization and punctuation. :rant:

greg: You make some excellent points regarding the possible scenarios and how blame can be thrown around.

Here are my two cents. I think that the industry is in a state of change. We are migrating from a printed medium to a digital medium and I think while we may look at the sales for printed books we may not know the sales of the digital books. Arguably, the sales of digital copies is probably relatively small.

We are also in the middle of an economic downturn and people are giving up the little luxuries to pay for the necessities and I'm sure this has impacted the comic industry as well. If launched during a different time the Dark Key characters may have had a better reception.

Finally, Jim Shooter is my hero. :thumb:

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

greg wrote:That's quite a sensationalist headline you've chosen there.

Who could blame you?

Who could blame you?

Who could blame you?

Who could blame you?

Who could blame you?

Who could blame you?

Amen.

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

Stan Lee is Marvel. Always will be. Jim Shooter is VALIANT. Always will be.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Second_Death wrote:Jim Shooter is VALIANT. Always will be.
I hope not. Otherwise the new Valiant is screwed.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

Second_Death wrote:Stan Lee is Marvel. Always will be. Jim Shooter is VALIANT. Always will be.

Actually, Marvel is Disney and Stan Lee's been gone from their creative teams for over 20 years, and Jim Shooter is unemployed in the comic world as it is right now.

Also, Stan Lee is a multi millionare-Shooter still working for paychecks.

Not a very good comparison.
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Second_Death wrote:Stan Lee is Marvel. Always will be. Jim Shooter is VALIANT. Always will be.
I would say in some ways this is a fair comparison... Stan Lee essentially put Marvel in the direction that it went. Jim Shooter (Hopefully) will have inspired new Valiant to go in the direction he originally created and that influence will make them awesome. Much like how Stan Lee isn't with Marvel anymore, Valiant doesn't need Jim Shooter to have a good thing.

BTW - I really hope to meet Stan (the man) Lee this year at Dragon-Con... :hope:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

MoonChild wrote:Jim seems like a real smart guy, an original, a creative genuis. All genuis are with faults as well. One thing I can agree on is I really wish he stayed with VEI a little longer to see it might have been worth the effort. But then again, it might have been heart breaking to him [to not have full creative control, the way he did originally] Valiant was his baby, you know. Who knows maybe he'll write a title or two for VEI, it could happen.
:clap: :lol:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Second_Death wrote:Jack Kirby is Marvel. Always will be. Jim Shooter is VALIANT. Always will be.
*fixed* :D

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:
Second_Death wrote:Jack Kirby is Marvel. Always will be. Jim Shooter is VALIANT. Always will be.
*fixed* :D
Wonderful fix.