The Occultist a one-shot but "to be continued"

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham
The Occultist a one-shot but "to be continued"

Post by bamaphilosopher »

The Occultist is a one-shot that nevertheless ends with "to be continued" - WTF?

My comic shop put it in my box, thinking it was Gold Key, I guess, from the logo. I knew it wasn't, but bought it because it looked interesting, I felt bad not to buy it when they ordered it for me, and I thought it was a one-shot.

I got suckered, because it's "to be continued."

It was interesting, but when and in what book will it be continued? And I'm not sure I want to buy anything but the Gold Key characters written by Jim Shooter.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I stopped in to my LCS (not for very much longer once my DCBS account kicks in) to pick up Batman: The Dark Knight #1 and saw a copy of The Occultist one-shot but passed it up hoping to find a cheaper copy... I am wondering if I missed out on a good thing or not ? I passed as I did not see Jim Shooter as writer but has it been confirmed that The Occultist will be in some way connected to either Solar, Magnus, Turok, Samson or Doctor Spektor ?

How was the read on The Occultist one-shot ?

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

The Occultist reminds me of what used to happen with Valiant when Shooter was there. Lots of intrigue as the universe unfolded.
Last edited by StarBrand on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

This should have gone under the Occultist thread below when I first posted it, but it somehow ended up its own thread.

For the best answer to your question about whether this ties in with the other books, check that other thread. Apparently, Dark Horse is "opening up the pool" to other characters and writers. But to what extent these books tie together, I don't know. I wish they'd make that more clear.

I'm personally wary of buying anything that is not written by Shooter. If they keep doing this, though, and it ends up seeming to me like a cheap attempt to get me to buy more books than I had intended, I might just drop the line altogether. But for now, I'm taking a wait and see approach, since it has just been this one book.

The fact that they're using the same logo does not help matters. My local comic shop put "The Occultist" in my box, just because it looked like the other books. I bought it, since they had taken the trouble to order it for me, but I'm not going to fall for that too many more times from Dark Horse, since I did not plan on buying the book.

I thought it was interesting as a story, but it was "to be continued" and the story was a cliffhanger, if I remember right, whereas it was advertised as a one-shot, which bugs me. But it must not have been great, because I now don't even remember the story.

yardstick
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
To be Continued vs One-shot

Post by yardstick »

To be Continued vs One-shot

What if it is both?

What if this book is tied to the rest of the Dark key stuff (same cover design, right?), but the story or plot will be picked up in another Dark Key title, like... Doktor Spektor? (sp?)

So, thus, the story will continue (under a different title), even though this is a one-shot...

Guess we will have to wait and see...

Any first appearances in this book? I have not picked it up...

superggraphics
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by superggraphics »

Here was the response I received after asking Chris Warner the question as to whether The Occultist title is part of the Dark Horse Comics/Gold Key Heroes Universe. From the lips of Mike Richardson: "Could be . . . keep your eyes open."

George E Warner
superggraphics

superggraphics

Post by superggraphics »

Here was the response I received after asking Chris Warner the question as to whether The Occultist title is part of the Dark Horse Comics/Gold Key Heroes Universe. From the lips of Mike Richardson: "Could be . . . keep your eyes open."

George E Warner
superggraphics

superggraphics

Post by superggraphics »

George E Warner
superggraphics

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

A post so nice, he made it thrice.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

so what was the book about? worth the read?

superggraphics

Post by superggraphics »

Chiclo wrote:A post so nice, he made it thrice.
WTF? How did that happen? I only hit the submit button once. Weird...

George E Warner
superggraphics

superggraphics

Post by superggraphics »

MoonChild wrote:so what was the book about? worth the read?
Maybe Magnus will share his thoughts about the book. I found his comments quite interesting. I thought it was at least worth the read myself. But I pretty much read anything that Tim Seely writes. I just finished working (page design and lettering) over Victor Drujiniu's (aka Ivica Sretenovic) artwork on The Dark Stories anthology for Horrorfixx Comics. Click on the links below to see a 2 page preview:

http://i53.tinypic.com/bi49d4.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/lk75s.jpg

Click on each image once to view supersized.

He started with Horrorfixx Comics, went over to Zenescope Entertainment, and now is exclusive with Dark Horse Comics.

George E Warner
superggraphics

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

More interesting than much stuff out there, but lacking the big picture. I can not easily see how it connects to the Gold Key books (unless it connects to Dr Spektor as mentioned above), but of course it would be nice for Dark Horse to get their own characters out there.

SPOILER:

It's about a youngster who becomes the vessel for old magic (which seems more self-serving than anything else) that some wizards want to get their hands on. It's basically an origin-issue.

/Magnus

UnknownTales
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 2005
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Smith

Post by UnknownTales »

I believe that DHC will begin integrating their own properties into the GK -JS universe in order to up sales and legitimize the line. At the current figures, the line will have to be discontinued in 2 years time if looked at a purely profit and loss scenerio. But, with a renewed interest by integrating their own properties and then sales of GN's & HC's, this venture might stabilize and become viable

This is the first slavo.

magnusr wrote:
More interesting than much stuff out there, but lacking the big picture. I can not easily see how it connects to the Gold Key books (unless it connects to Dr Spektor as mentioned above), but of course it would be nice for Dark Horse to get their own characters out there.

SPOILER:

It's about a youngster who becomes the vessel for old magic (which seems more self-serving than anything else) that some wizards want to get their hands on. It's basically an origin-issue.

/Magnus

orbitalshift
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by orbitalshift »

UnknownTales wrote:I believe that DHC will begin integrating their own properties into the GK -JS universe in order to up sales and legitimize the line. At the current figures, the line will have to be discontinued in 2 years time if looked at a purely profit and loss scenerio. But, with a renewed interest by integrating their own properties and then sales of GN's & HC's, this venture might stabilize and become viable

This is the first slavo.

magnusr wrote:

SPOILER:

/Magnus
I may be wrong, as it is only speculation on my part, but I think it was the plan all along to integrate non Gold Key characters into the line. Looking at the interviews and reading between the lines I get the sense that the "line" as envisioned by Shooter and Richardson is broader than simply the Gold Key remakes. Its funny, but we look at the Marvel Universe as a universe, but I doubt if Stan really set out to build a "Universe", but rather successful individual titles. When they started crossing over into each other, it was a by-product of success. It may be that Dark Horse just wants to focus on the individual books with an eye left open to the possibility of a "Universe" developing over time.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

Back in the 90s, "The Mask" (another Mike Richardson co-created character) had some of his later mini-series branded with the added side banner of "Dark Horse Heroes" like the CGW comics had on some of their comics:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/93-765/ ... kes-Back-3

Maybe the Occultist is being injected into the line to add more current day characters to go along with Solar and Dr. Spektor?

And then there was that CBR article that mentioned that the "Occultist" exists in the same universe as "Mask" does...

:hm:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

vikingspawn wrote:Maybe the Occultist is being injected into the line to add more current day characters to go along with Solar and Dr. Spektor?
Doctor Solar is already in an more current day setting. I do not see how The Occultist will tie into the GK books 'right now'. It may be a puzzle piece later. :?

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

vikingspawn wrote:Back in the 90s, "The Mask" (another Mike Richardson co-created character) had some of his later mini-series branded with the added side banner of the "Dark Horse Heroes" like the CGW comics had on some of their comics:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/93-765/ ... kes-Back-3

Maybe the Occultist is being injected into the line to add more current day characters to go along with Solar and Dr. Spektor?

And then there was that CBR article that mentioned that the "Occultist" exists in the same universe as "Mask" does...

:hm:
I do think Dark Horse and really most publishers covet the superhero universes that DC and Marvel have. They are generationally profitable. They are also difficult to force into existence. With Shooter, Dark Horse has a great asset for building the type of momentum thats needed to get a universe rolling. They, like most of the comics industry have been burned by "Universe" marketing. They may be just trying to keep things developing more organically this go round.

The interview, you mentioned.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=27796

He says:

Seeley said that the universe "The Occultist" is placed in is "that sort of psuedo-superhero world that a lot of DH's great characters inhabit. It's the same kind of place 'The Mask' took place in, where masks of Loki and such are floating around and up for grabs."

I maybe wrong, but the way I read that was that it wasn't in the same universe as the Mask, but in a universe where fantastic things like that could happen.

One thing I just noticed, the term "psuedo-superhero" really describes the Gold Key properties in my mind.

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

I think the same thing that happened to the '90s Mask comics is happening here with the Occultist. Dark Horse branded Mask for 3 mini-series as "Dark Horse Heroes" and now it's happening again with the "Occultist" getting that similar cover/logo treatment the Shooter books have.

"Mask" was labeled with the "Dark Horse Heroes" on the cover around when the first movie came out and was a hit, and maybe they thought that added character connection would give more attention to the CGW line. But that didn't work to save the line in the end.

I think they're probably bulking up the new line of books with these one-shot books by other writers to fill time with the other late books. Or testing these characters in the meantime with buyers...like the "Pilot Season" books from Top Cow.

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

It's interesting to look at the transcript of the SDCC panel. Richardson mentions the Gold Key stuff then the Occultist right after. I can't find video or audio, I would like to see if he mentions them together or separate.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

vikingspawn wrote:"Mask" was labeled with the "Dark Horse Heroes" on the cover around when the first movie came out and was a hit, and maybe they thought that added character connection would give more attention to the CGW line. But that didn't work to save the line in the end.
I would think the Barb Wire movie could more easily bring attention to the CGW line.

The movie and comic had nothing to do with one another but that was beside the point.

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

Great book! Glad I picked it up :thumb:

superggraphics

Post by superggraphics »

I can tell you that Victor Drujiniu (The Occultist artist) sent me a work related e-mail (I am lettering over top of some of his artwork for the Dead Klowns© Graphic Novel for Horrorfixx Comics) letting me know that he has begun work on a new The Occultist 3 issue miniseries. He has received the script and said it is a follow up story arc continued from the one shot and he is excited to be working on it. Thought you all might like to know.

George E Warner
superggraphics

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

Nice! :clap:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I was finally able to pick up an issue for a buck at Hastings. Hope to read it soon.