DR Solar #4

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
DR Solar #4

Post by StarBrand »

Post here about Dr Solar 4! :)
Last edited by StarBrand on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:24:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KenClarkson4Prez
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by KenClarkson4Prez »

i know the opinions on this series have been lukewarm so far, but it has been my favorite right off the bat. the art has gotten much better since the FCBD issue, and i have liked Robinson's work. but the real draw here is SHooter's ability to write believable science fiction AND create characters who think and act like real people. Issue 4 is the payoff for the first story arc, and definitely thee best issue yet. i laughed a few times, and actually looked at the fight scenes (i am not an art guy, and i usually just scan those panels for dialogue). i am not going to say it was like the heyday of Valiant, because those days are gone and not coming back, but i will say that i am nearly as excited now as i was when i discovered these characters 20+ years ago.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

KenClarkson4Prez wrote:i know the opinions on this series have been lukewarm so far, but it has been my favorite right off the bat. the art has gotten much better since the FCBD issue, and i have liked Robinson's work. but the real draw here is SHooter's ability to write believable science fiction AND create characters who think and act like real people. Issue 4 is the payoff for the first story arc, and definitely thee best issue yet. i laughed a few times, and actually looked at the fight scenes (i am not an art guy, and i usually just scan those panels for dialogue). i am not going to say it was like the heyday of Valiant, because those days are gone and not coming back, but i will say that i am nearly as excited now as i was when i discovered these characters 20+ years ago.
Good comments. I'm looking forward to reading it even more, now.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Best issue so far, again.

The good - Humor. The dialogue seemed a lot smoother than the first couple issues, and had me laughing a few times. Always a good thing.

Leviathan and Glow. I wasn't a big fan of these characters in the first 2 issues, but seeing them grow in this issue has me really liking them.

The best thing about this issue was that the action took a back seat to the characters. The fights were still there and were well done, but the development of Gail, Solar, Glow (Gloria), Leviathan (George ;)), and Nuro was really great.

The not as good - The art. Still a little inconsistent. There are some really great panels and some not so good ones. Still wish he would mix in a few more thin lines. Doesn't take away from the story though, as the storytelling is well done.

Oh and just for 400 years, a panel break!!!! :) :wink:

REALLY looking forward to next issue, with the Nuro plotline coming to the front and the origin starting. Hopefully with the 2 different artists we can get the book done in less than 2 months. Please? :thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

The series seems to be gaining momentum. No surprise there.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

I think this book is definitely getting better with each issue. I even liked the art much better in this issue. I'm definitely going to stick around for the Solar origin stuff. :thumb:

hotwings1979
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by hotwings1979 »

Brother J wrote:I think this book is definitely getting better with each issue. I even liked the art much better in this issue. I'm definitely going to stick around for the Solar origin stuff. :thumb:
I so agree with this statement. I like the amount of thought boxes that appear, it's cool because that's was a common thing in the GK books. I'm also excited to see more of Nuro. I think it's getting to a good spot.

I was also pleased to see that they included glow and leviathan in this book. It seems that they were the only characters that weren't sent back to where they came from. My guess is that we'll see more of them. :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Cant wait to read! got mine today, just by chance, totally forgot release dates.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

I'm not sure I agree that this was better than the last issue. I thought the fight was resolved way too quickly. After all, the last issue made it seem these "gods" were more powerful than Solar, and now, he suddenly "does the math" and beats them, and makes it look easy.

I realize it's tough to write, but that was just over too quickly, I thought.

Plus, I liked how dark the last issue was, with the woman running in tears from Moloch - that was a powerful panel.

However, I do agree about Glow and Leviathan - it was a nice surprise to see their characters grow in this issue. It was the first time I actually felt like I liked those characters.

So, it was pretty good, but I just don't think it was better than #3. However, I am looking forward to the origin story coming up.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

I read #4 last night as well.

Things I liked about the issue:

- Character development of Glow and Leviathan. (Glow-Rai, and George...lol). It will be interesting to see if/when these two team up more often with Solar in later issues :)

- NURO! I want to see more of this evil *SQUEE*!!! Just having another glimpse of him made me happy :)

- Moloch's "throne room" was pretty funny :)

Dislikes:

- Phil's sudden need to visit Gail, then his just-as-abrupt departure felt forced and cheesy. Plus, did it seem odd that she didn't question his "youthful" appearance? Or was this commented on last issue? I couldn't recall?

- The quick dispatching of Moloch and his minion. I'm sure we'll see these two again, but this also seemed forced.

In all, I enjoyed the read; it's just nice to have new Shooter books on the shelves. BUT...I haven't felt the same magic as his older stuff just yet. I'm gonna stick with the titles though...as long as the delays don't get worse :(

hotwings1979

Post by hotwings1979 »

I was a little surprised that Nuro was Asian. I was like what's Harada doing in this book?

I agree with you about the piece with Gail being cheesy but he had a date and he didn't want to let the girl get away. It did come off a bit stalkerish but still he was able to resolve the situation and get back to what he needed to do which was beat up the bad guys.

I like the thought boxes but by the time I got to the end of the issue I felt like all I had read was thoughts, where was the monologue between Solar, Moloch and Surya? Normally, there would be some trash talk or grunts or something.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

JonesyAZ wrote: - Phil's sudden need to visit Gail, then his just-as-abrupt departure felt forced and cheesy.
I actually liked this. One thing I'm enjoying about this book is it's refusal to be a typical superhero book (eg- giving Leviathan and Glow money instead of handing them over to police).

Same goes for his quick jaunt over to see Gail. I thought it was a great way to humanize Solar. The man is powerful enough to defeat gods by thinking of wave functions, yet he can't control his heart.

The last thing I think this book could have used was replacing that story tangent with a drawn out fight scene...

arromdee
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by arromdee »

hotwings1979 wrote:I was a little surprised that Nuro was Asian. I was like what's Harada doing in this book?
The name "Nuro" uses sounds that exist in Japanese (which lacks a lot of sounds). However, a search on wwwjdic did not show it as an actual Japanese surname.

hotwings1979

Post by hotwings1979 »

arromdee wrote:
hotwings1979 wrote:I was a little surprised that Nuro was Asian. I was like what's Harada doing in this book?
The name "Nuro" uses sounds that exist in Japanese (which lacks a lot of sounds). However, a search on wwwjdic did not show it as an actual Japanese surname.
I haven't made it to his unveiling in the Gold Key books but I'm 100% certain that the original Nuro was caucasian. I just find it interesting that Harada was Asian and Nuro is Asian.

I can't tell you how excited I was when I read Nuro's name. It was like all was right with the world.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: