My Story - a new guy...

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lindsayadams
Working on the first full appearance of me
My Story - a new guy...

Post by lindsayadams »

Hi - this board is a brilliant resource. I only discovered it recently after coming across a bunch of Valiant comics at a recent comic fair in my local town (I live in Perth, Western Australia). That got me back to Valiant after a loooong absence.

I first started collecting (I was 13!) comics in 91/92 and my first book I bought was X-Men 9. After enjoying the book I researched all the local comic shops in Perth (there was 2!). Although it took me a while to make it in the shops, I was soon hooked with the idea of collecting comic books (as you are at that age). I was reading and enjoying them, but the thrill of picking up a shiny new book in a plastic cover was the most exciting bit I think.

After a while of tripping in, I picked up a Wizard magazine on one trip and through the top ten lists and price guide's they had in there, I realised there were these ultra-hard to find books from "Valiant". Looking in my stores, back issues were hard to come by and I only managed to get a hold of a Solar #18 at the time which I still thought was exciting, even though it was a new issue.

I had little idea what Unity was (although it was rare) and pre-Unity books may as well have been imaginary for the likelihood of finding one in my local comic shops!

I think the novelty value of how rare and hard to find all these books were (particularly all the way in Perth) made it all the more cool to collect comics. Soon I picked up an X-O Manowar #19 and then saw what I thought was the ultimate find (little did I know how many they printed):

Turok #1

The cover reeked of premium and I was doubly hooked. X-O Manowar #0 had me again, but you could not find any earlier issues of anything anywhere in Perth.

For the most part I stuck with books from Image (I didn't have a huge budget during my teen years) and picked up books like Stormwatch, Spawn, Wildstar (Yikes!) and only got a Solar , X-O and Turok when I could find one.

Fast forward a lot of years and I'm walking around a comic fair with my 4 year old son (BIG fast forward) and a guy is selling back issues for $1 each and if you buy 10-20 the price drops etc. So i look through and a I see a Harbinger #3. I stop and then I see a #4, #6, a Bloodshot #1 and a Unity #0!!! I started feeling a bit excited. Then I saw a Rai #3! The guy had about 40-50 Valiant backissues and i grabbed the lot - $20 he said. I just about freaked out (of course I hadn't realised just how far the prices the dropped in 15 years!!).

I thought I was making a total steal. After this I pretty much have set out to get a complete collection of Valiant books (pre-Acclaim) and am about 75% there. I generally pick up whatever I can off ebay and from places like Milehighcomics (if the prices aren't ridiculous!) and also mycomicshop.com

Its only now that I am able to appreciate the quality of writing in the books as I read and re-read all the early stuff (massive fan of Rai and Magnus). It is still exciting to collect these books, even after almost 20 years since I first discovered them. I still have that first book - Solar #18 and sits proudly now in my collection along with Harbinger, X-O, Shadowman, Archer and Armstrong (love it!) and Eternal Warrior. I am trying to find the rest of the Rai's I need but #4 is hard work to find!!!

Anyway - thanks for a great resource, I am loving looking around at all the great collections you guys have, and how much love you have for all things Valiant. I wouldn't put myself in the class of Valiant collector/lover that I can see around here, but I know exactly why you guys are so dedicated.

Thanks

Lindsay
(still in Perth, WA)

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Hola Compadre!

There are a few Valiant dudes "Down Under".

Keep posting.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :clap:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

What they said. Welcome.

/Magnus

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

welcome :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome to the board, Lindsay.

96Valiantfan
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by 96Valiantfan »

Welcome :thumb:

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Nice to have you on board.

:thumb:

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Welcome :thumb:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Welcome abroad (hey, this in-joke finally does make sense!) and keep up the great posts!

-slym

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Awesome finds dude. You did get some sweet deals even though the prices have dropped alot.

Hope you stick around as not only is there a wealth off info but a wealth of cool dudes to hang out with!

Wilkommen! :thumb:

lindsayadams

Post by lindsayadams »

Thanks all for the welcome - I've pretty much drooling over some of the gallery stuff - incredible collections. I'm sure I'll be around (although I might seem a bit quiet at first) for a while :D

sanman
I can feel the custom bug
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

Welcome--hope to see you post more sooner than later. :thumb:

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti