Doctor Solar 1

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Doctor Solar 1

Post by StarBrand »

What do you think of Doctor Solar 1?

UnknownTales
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 2005
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Smith
Re: Doctor Solar 1

Post by UnknownTales »

I think, there fore I am.
StarBrand wrote:What do you think of Doctor Solar 1?

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

I got my copies of Dr. Solar 1 !!! The standard and variant edition :) I won't have to time to read 'em until after work tonight, but I just want to express the joy i'm feeling to experience new Shooter books from the ground floor for the first time! Woo Hoo!!!

JCVaughn
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by JCVaughn »

My retailer (who is pretty darn cool) put both the regular and variant covers in my bag. This was probably the most excited I've been going to the comic shop on a day when it wasn't one of my projects coming out.

I was very aware that I haven't felt that way in a long time... but now I do.

Still not big on the art, but the story is an intriguing beginning and full of promise.

With the extra pages and nice cover stock, it's a pretty substantial package.

The shop had one shelf copy left as I was leaving.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

JCVaughn wrote:My retailer (who is pretty darn cool) put both the regular and variant covers in my bag. This was probably the most excited I've been going to the comic shop on a day when it wasn't one of my projects coming out.

I was very aware that I haven't felt that way in a long time... but now I do.

Still not big on the art, but the story is an intriguing beginning and full of promise.

With the extra pages and nice cover stock, it's a pretty substantial package.

The shop had one shelf copy left as I was leaving.
Curious, JC...

When compared to no. of shelf copies of current hot books out there, is this a good sign? Do you think the store may have ordered a smaller amount of copies since this relaunch is just beginning?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Good question, Jonesy. I was just wondering the same thing.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

Got 3 copies....went to another shop and the last one left was the variant cover and he sold that one for $3.50.....he was too busy to noticed it was the rarer one.... uh huh huh :D

I like the thicker cover on these!

:thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Any other reports from or about retailers on this book? :hm:

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

vikingspawn wrote:Got 3 copies....went to another shop and the last one left was the variant cover and he sold that one for $3.50.....

Curious, Viking...did the first store sell the variant at a higher price? I got both the standard and variant for cover price

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

I went to my LCS at 11:30. He had 15 copies, four of which were the variant cover (he was selling these at cover). I picked up one copy of the standar and I was there for 15 minutes. When I left all of the variant covers were gone and he had only 6 copies left of the standard cover. I am sure he will sell out.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

caxiotis wrote:I went to my LCS at 11:30. He had 15 copies, four of which were the variant cover (he was selling these at cover). I picked up one copy of the standar and I was there for 15 minutes. When I left all of the variant covers were gone and he had only 6 copies left of the standard cover. I am sure he will sell out.
Wow, that's a good report! :)

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I have to wait until I get some money on Thursday...

:|

-slym

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

JonesyAZ wrote:
vikingspawn wrote:Got 3 copies....went to another shop and the last one left was the variant cover and he sold that one for $3.50.....

Curious, Viking...did the first store sell the variant at a higher price? I got both the standard and variant for cover price
The first store reserved it for me and charged me $9.99 for the variant. :roll:

Then I went down the road to the next shop looking for another book and the one Solar variant was a the top row by itself so I grabbed it up. The owner was saying that his comic shipment was split in 2 and wouldn't receive the rest till Friday but this variant snuck through. He just looked at the cover price and said "$3.50."

So I gave him a $20 and got my change. :D

Totally went over his head cuz he usually charges alot for variants..

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

vikingspawn wrote:
JonesyAZ wrote:

The first store reserved it for me and charged me $9.99 for the variant. :roll:

Then I went down the road to the next shop looking for another book and the one Solar variant was a the top row by itself so I grabbed it up. The owner was saying that his comic shipment was split in 2 and wouldn't receive the rest till Friday but this variant snuck through. He just looked at the cover price and said "$3.50."

So I gave him a $20 and got my change. :D

Totally went over his head cuz he usually charges alot for variants..
Interesting! Well, i'm glad you got a copy for cover price :) It's been awhile since i've ever thought about variants, but is this common practice for stores to upcharge for a variant right out the gate on release day? Seems kind of crappy to me

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Very common.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

StarBrand wrote:Very common.
And do you find that these variants retain their value? I could see the Solar variant being worth $10 after awhile, but so soon after release?

Very interesting :)

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

JonesyAZ wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Very common.
And do you find that these variants retain their value? I could see the Solar variant being worth $10 after awhile, but so soon after release?

Very interesting :)
Most variants do not retain their value unless they are key issue or anniversary issues. Even then they really don't keep to much value.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

They had plenty of the regular issue at the shop I went to, but I didn't see any of the variant cover. Maybe there were some at the back of the stack, but I didn't look all the way through.

I have a couple of the variants coming from DCBS anyway, so no big deal.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Dr. Solar wrote: I have a couple of the variants coming from DCBS anyway, so no big deal.
That's cool :) I wasn't sure about picking up a variant, and I very well may give one of my copies away to my buddy Jacques, who i've been slowly getting into Valiant and related books :) We'll see though, 'cuz I do enjoy both covers :) Not sure which to give away...lol.

orbitalshift
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by orbitalshift »

Well I got mine today, one of each cover. I liked the story so far. Really happy they decided to go a different direction with the art. Nothing against Calero but this isn't his bag. Its bad, no other way to say it. Glow is supposed to be the embodiment of sexuality and she comes off just gross. I like some his other art, but here it just doesn't work. I hate to say that because I think some people that might have given the title a shot will pass based on his art alone. Had I not been familiar with Solar, I would have noticed the cover, flipped it open only to be repulsed by the inside art and promptly returned it to the rack. Not sure what Dark Horse was thinking there. As for the story I find the set up pretty cool. Not sure whats going on with the oder thing, I hope theres a point to it, and its not just comedy. To me thats the flimsiest part of the story. All in all its just great to read Shooter writing Solar.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Dr. Solar wrote:
I have a couple of the variants coming from DCBS anyway, so no big deal.
Same here.

jbtheo
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jbtheo »

I bought the book on my lunch break. It is a good start. I'm going to try to reserve my judgements on Jim Shooter's writing until the first story arch is done. I will say, so far, it's fine for me. But, I look forward to re-reading the first 6-8 issues in one sitting when the time comes. I will say that I didn't feel jipped after reading it, like I often do with Marvel/DC books... even with the $3.50 price tag.

The MAIN reason I bought this was because I support Jim Shooter. I will buy anything Dark Horse puts out that is written or directly overseen by him in any sort of creative manner. I have tremendous respect for Jim and figured I will do my small part to support his efforts. I hope that didn't sound too corny.

Consequently, I also buy Savage Dragon monthly because I support Erik Larsen, and the new Batman Oddessy because I support Neal Adams. :D

As for the artwork on Solar #1, it's.... okay. The guy isn't a bad artist at all (in fact he is pretty great), but I do wonder if he is a good fit for the book. I don't know. We'll see. I am trying not to compare it too much to the Valiant Solar #1, but it's hard. The coloring was here nor there for me; while reading I didn't even notice it.

I would like to see more of that rainbow lighting effect, when Phil is using his powers. Not because it harkens back to Valiant, but just because it seems to make sense to me.

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

btw, jbtheo, where in the Bay Area do you live? I'm in SF.

jbtheo

Post by jbtheo »

Walnut Creek. I work in Oakland, so I went to Dr. Comics off of Piedmont to get the issue. I usually go to Flying Colors in Concord for buying new comics.

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

I stopped into a shop today,first time in a long while that I jumped to get a book on the day it came out. They had about 12 copies and it almost seemed to be 50/50 on the two covers. I grabbed one of the Calero variants since I have a few copies coming from DCBS.

I liked it at first read and the more I thought about the story the more I liked it. This is going to be a good book, only time will tell if it is going to be great, but I think it will only get better as we move forward and more layers of the story are revealed.