Shadowman Death (spoilers)

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sect
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Shadowman Death (spoilers)

Post by Sect »

So I picked up my copy of Shadowman 43 and I was excited to see how the last issue would pan out.

I was somewhat dissapointed in the way they left it. We all know he dies in 1999 but we also see him jumping off the building.

So whats the deal? Is it just left to our imaginations or what?

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by DJSpecter »

The start of VH2 Shadowman shows Jack actually dead. Which is just another spear in our prophecy.

My fanfic has it that he is saved by Solar from 4001, but those stories haven't been written, much less published or read.

-Dave

Wizard of Utopia
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Re: Shadowman Death (spoilers)

Post by Wizard of Utopia »

Sect wrote:So I picked up my copy of Shadowman 43 and I was excited to see how the last issue would pan out.

I was somewhat dissapointed in the way they left it. We all know he dies in 1999 but we also see him jumping off the building.

So whats the deal? Is it just left to our imaginations or what?
Bob Hall said he left the storyline open-ended on purpose. I think the exact quote was posted by someone else here on the board who spoke with Bob.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

It's been said that what ended up being Ennis' first four issues of VH 2 Shadowman were designed to be the first four issues of a new arc in VH 1 Shadowman (most likely 44-48).

It's been said that the dialogue in issue 1 was changed to reflect a different cause of death for Jack.

Apparently, Ennis hated Jack (most likely because he wasn't a sterotypical guy with a gun, like Ennis likes them).
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I suspected Acclaim's influence with the VH2 Shadowman.

The video game that came out was based on that short Ennis run; I think his revamping of the character was done with that in mind (at least the back of his mind).

And that game sucked.

Sect

Post by Sect »

That's lame.

I guess I'm never gonna see for myself since I refuse to pick up any of the VH2 stuff.

Oh well, thanks for the input it was nice to know that at least.

As for VH2 Shadowman, from the looks of the covers, it looks like he became a MIB and what is up with the use of guns?

Did VH2 stick with the vodoo powers and if so why would they feel the need to resort to using guns. Dumb if you ask me.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ennis can only write characters with guns.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

ManofTheAtom wrote:Ennis can only write characters with guns.
Preacher never carried a gun. ;) Neither did John Constantine.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Preacher never carried a gun. ;) Neither did John Constantine.
Preacher had characters with guns, right? (Tulip I believe her name was).

And Ennis didn't create Hellblazer and puttign a gun on his hand would have gone against his character, right?

Did he do characters with guns in that one?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Preacher never carried a gun. ;) Neither did John Constantine.
Preacher had characters with guns, right? (Tulip I believe her name was).

And Ennis didn't create Hellblazer and puttign a gun on his hand would have gone against his character, right?

Did he do characters with guns in that one?
Ahhh...but all you said was 'He couldn't write characters without guns' not 'he couldn't write BOOKS without guns'. ;) Slight difference.

And Hellblazer didn't have guns, no. :)

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Heh, ok. I'll concede that.

jordan silo
Account has been locked.

Post by jordan silo »

So ummm what comic book issue did Jack Boniface die in? :?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jordan silo wrote:So ummm what comic book issue did Jack Boniface die in? :?
Shadowman Volume 3 #3 and #4, and Unity 2000 #1.

ALL Shadowmen and ALL Jack Boniface across the VALIANT (urgh) multiverse were killed by an envoy of (VH 3) Master Darque (the VALIANT Jack died in U2K #1 trying to stop Darque's plan).

jordan silo
Account has been locked.

Post by jordan silo »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
jordan silo wrote:So ummm what comic book issue did Jack Boniface die in? :?
Shadowman Volume 3 #3 and #4, and Unity 2000 #1.

ALL Shadowmen and ALL Jack Boniface across the VALIANT (urgh) multiverse were killed by an envoy of (VH 3) Master Darque (the VALIANT Jack died in U2K #1 trying to stop Darque's plan).
"The start of VH2 Shadowman shows Jack actually dead. Which is just another spear in our prophecy."

So ummm when did he die first? If Vol.2 Issue 1 shows he is dead already?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Different Jack ;)

The VH 2 Jack Boniface was killed by (urgh...) Tommy Lee Bones, who stuck Jack's sax in his *SQUEE* and threw him off a building.

The Unity Jack Boniface, the one Shooter and Englehart wrote, died in Unity 2000 #1, while all other Jacks across the (urgh...) multiverse were killed in the U2K preview in Shadowman Volume 3, the one Shooter wrote using the Paul Creddick pseudonym.

jordan silo
Account has been locked.

Post by jordan silo »

ManofTheAtom wrote:Different Jack ;)

The VH 2 Jack Boniface was killed by (urgh...) Tommy Lee Bones, who stuck Jack's sax in his *SQUEE* and threw him off a building.

The Unity Jack Boniface, the one Shooter and Englehart wrote, died in Unity 2000 #1, while all other Jacks across the (urgh...) multiverse were killed in the U2K preview in Shadowman Volume 3, the one Shooter wrote using the Paul Creddick pseudonym.
Damn these multiverse Jacks! Tommy litterally stuck a sax in his *SQUEE*? So I'm guessing he didn't die on the last issue of Volume one then

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

I'm very glad that they ended VH1 Shadowman the way they did. It felt very appropriate for the character to try and do what he did, and it felt appropriate for us to not know whatever "really" happened, considering we had no clue what was really happening to the title at the time.

Shadowman was one of the few titles that stayed as true as possible throughout the run, and I'd much rather have this ending than the one presented in the first three issues of VH2 Shadowman.

In fact, VH2 Shadowman was my least favorite of all the reboots (Bloodshot was possibly my favorite). ANd don't even get me started on the pile of crap that was Unity 2K/VH3's treatment of Shadowman (even though, ironically, I consider almost anything else done by Shooter to be Valiant gospel - it was his intent to end these characters and never let them be seen again, a mercy killing, and it showed).

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I believe that Ennis wrote his first four issues of VH 2 Shadowman for the original line but after Nicieza came along and decided to reboot they changed the dialogue to add the sax in the *SQUEE* idea.

This is the reason why Ennis was only on the book for four issues, that arc was meant to be for VALIANT/VH 1, not Acclaim/VH 2.