MLB 2k10... how do you play this thing?!?!

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
MLB 2k10... how do you play this thing?!?!

Post by etos45 »

So, I borrowed this game from a friend of mine to see if it was any good and I am totally lost on how the controls are supposed to work. I'm really hoping that maybe someone on here can help me figure this thing out, but it's completely different than 2k8 as far as I've seen.

I like to play with classic mode controls because I don't like trying to swing or pitch using the right analog. Problem is, in 2k8 you basically moved the left analog until it vibrated and then if you swung at the right time you got a pretty good hit out of it. With 2k10 there is no vibrate and most of the hits that I'm getting are fizzles. Hardly any of them make it to the outfield.

Then comes the pitching, where I am equally clueless on what I'm doing. I see this expanding circle thing, but I'm not entirely sure when I'm supposed to be holding the button and when I'm supposed to be releasing it... the pitches just never seem to land where I'm aiming and I have absolutely no clue where the catcher is trying to tell me to throw them. I see the flashing boxes, but I don't know what they mean. In 2k8 he would simply put his glove where he wanted the ball to go.

Bottom line is that I absolutely ADORE the look of the game and the presentation, but if I can't figure out how to play it then I'm stuck with 2k8 (which has a horrible glitch that turns your homerun count to negatives after around 128... so I went from top homeruns in the league to dead last). The guy I borrowed it from doesn't seem to know how to play it either and it was a gamefly, so no instructions.

Anyways, if anyone is playing this Baseball game and have the slightest clue on what I'm doing wrong, please let me know. I'd really like to get this game if I could learn how to play it.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

You have to use the stick to aim the pointer (it's like a cursor) where the catcher recommends you throw, and then pitching is a two-step process. You choose a pitch and then do the two movements with the icon, timing it so that you release the ball when the ring is in the right place.

It kinda baffled me a little bit at first, and I still think it's too complicated, but once you figure out the two steps and the timing it actually workds.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

depluto wrote:You have to use the stick to aim the pointer (it's like a cursor) where the catcher recommends you throw, and then pitching is a two-step process. You choose a pitch and then do the two movements with the icon, timing it so that you release the ball when the ring is in the right place.

It kinda baffled me a little bit at first, and I still think it's too complicated, but once you figure out the two steps and the timing it actually workds.
Okay, so I'm still confused... for the pointer, I get a 3-square progression that is almost all out of the strike zone. So do I start in the center and then follow the patter to get to the right spot? Then with the pitching circle, I look at it like the old MLB 2k8 pitch in that you hold the button until the circle reaches the largest size then you release and press again when it's at its smallest. Is that correct?

And what about batting? Is there a way to get a more powerful hit?

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

There's a little pointer at the end of the squares. That is the spot where you want the ball to go. And pitching is kind of like a Street Fighter combo, two separate moves with the stick and timed when the circle is the right size. Practice with the easier pitches like fastballs until you can get the timing down.

This is off the top of my head, I've actually moved on to MLB 10 The Show, which seems to make more sense.

Here is something from Gamefaqs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360 ... qid=168976

etos45

Post by etos45 »

MLB The Show... yep, I keep hearing about that. :D

Let me ask you about that, then... is it really THAT much better? To hear some talk online it's levels above MLB 2k8. Does it have something like classic mode where you swing and pitch by pressing buttons instead of the analogs?

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I think it's better by a degree, but it's not really the "best baseball game ever." The controls are certainly simpler, but it also looks fantastic. To me, that adds to the experience ... even the minor league parks and uniforms are accurate, and the player animations look real.

The default controls use the buttons with a little tinkering on the analogs.

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

I stopped caring about baseball games when they became these weird simulations of the game and tried to make video game hitting into the insanely difficult art that real hitting is.

I dont feel like having Jobu bless my controller or find my lucky underwear every time I want to play a game.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

DawgPhan wrote:I stopped caring about baseball games when they became these weird simulations of the game and tried to make video game hitting into the insanely difficult art that real hitting is.

I dont feel like having Jobu bless my controller or find my lucky underwear every time I want to play a game.
:lol: