eBay Fraud warning

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman
eBay Fraud warning

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Won some books from this guy: david_in_astoria . Billed the merchandise as VF/NM when it was barely Fine/Fine+. Contacted him, wouldn't even consider a simple $5.00 refund (as he'd used some mythic grading chart to pretend this subscription creased, dog-eared turd was in decent shape.)

Here's the auction url: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2277389893

Ok, once you stop laughing that I bought this friggin' comic . . .

I realize this is small potatoes, but I've seen too many people decide they'd "get out" of eBay and pull this kind of crap. Greg's provided several "head's-ups" and I'm just trying to return the favor.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Holy CRAP! YOU are 4kittycats??? *SQUEE*! ;)

You've outbid me on some CHOICE stuff. Grrrrr!

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

So now I know who the infamous 4kittycats is........your fate is sealed!

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!! :twisted:

Seriously though, you think it's embarassing to be caught buying THAT, you should go to a live in-person auction and bid on "The Haunted Mansion of Forbidden Love" I didn't think I'd ever live that one down. To make matters worse, my father-in-law to be was the one who invited me up to go to the auction and I had to bid in front of him, the mother-in-law to be, and my fiance! Oh the shame..... :oops:

Best,
Doug

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Haunted Mansion of Forbidden Love? Is it #1? You wanna sell it?

Dear God, the shame . . . :oops:

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Holy CRAP! YOU are 4kittycats??? *SQUEE*! ;)

Sorry Zeph, I'm from the same city as Carlos Hathcock, so being a sniper is a way of life.

justin
Banned for stealing from his friends

Post by justin »

Well 4kittys surfaced here. Its about time for Aug002 to surface damn it!

~A
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

I never dreamed anyone else would be interested in this book..... it is #1, condition off the top of my head would be FN give or take, I'm at work now and don't have access to it.

As far as selling, probably not now, I am looking for FF #2-4 though! :D

I'll keep you in mind,
Doug

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

Glad you told us about david_in_astonia. I had a few of his auctions on my watch list but for some reason or another didn't bid on his lewts this time around. I'm going to avoid him like the plague in the future.
Well 4kittys surfaced here. Its about time for Aug002 to surface damn it!

~A
Aug002 is really ZWH! It's so obvious! He already told us he bids with another account to hide his purchases and his alter ego ZWH being so cheap is in direct contrast to AUG002 who buys everything over the $100 line whether he needs the book or not. I'm I the only one to have put two and two together? :!:
Last edited by whetteon on Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:48:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:Sorry Zeph, I'm from the same city as Carlos Hathcock, so being a sniper is a way of life.
93 confirmed kills, eh?

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Including the kid on the bike . . . now that was one helluva shot.

justin
Banned for stealing from his friends

Post by justin »

whetteon wrote: Aug002 is really ZWH! It's so obvious! He already told us he bids with another account to hide his purchases and his alter ego ZWH being so cheap is in direct contrast to AUG002 who buys everything over the $100 line whether he needs the book or not. I'm I the only one to have put two and two together? :!:
Could be! LOL

~A
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

achilles
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by achilles »

yes yes aug show yourself. oh and please add a photo scan if you would please. i need some practice for my dart league. id appreciate it.......thanks bro. :thumb:

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

LOL I never even realized I've been dealing with "4kittycats". Anyways hope you got the books I've sent ya. :thumb:

whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus
Re: eBay Fraud warning

Post by whetteon »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:Won some books from this guy: david_in_astoria . Billed the merchandise as VF/NM when it was barely Fine/Fine+. Contacted him, wouldn't even consider a simple $5.00 refund (as he'd used some mythic grading chart to pretend this subscription creased, dog-eared turd was in decent shape.)

I realize this is small potatoes, but I've seen too many people decide they'd "get out" of eBay and pull this kind of crap. Greg's provided several "head's-ups" and I'm just trying to return the favor.
To follow up on fraud warning, I went home for lunch and went through my mail to find that I received my Amazing Spidey #149 from this auction..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

Now the eBayer so.cal.collectibles has a pretty decent feedback profile and I believe I've did dealings with them before that must have turned out fine else I would of remembered but the comic I got today was not vf/nm. First, the description almost implies it should be better then vf/nm but I would grade this issue a vf- tops. It has an 1/8 crease on the top left corner that breaks color, a server fading on the right top cover almost like someone took their thumb and rub vigorously, the spine has multiple creases (between 5-7) that don't break color, the back is dirty (it looks like it needs the wonder bread treatment) and their is a fold on two places on the cover like they pressed the book on a square piece of pipe. Would anyone consider something like that vf/nm? I asked for a refund and we'll see what they say. I'm disappointed in their grading abilities Hopefully this issue will be resolve but I'm now disappointed that I 1) need to find another copy of this issues and 2) missed a chance to buy a nm copy for $30 a few weeks back.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Escaflown4 wrote:LOL I never even realized I've been dealing with "4kittycats". Anyways hope you got the books I've sent ya. :thumb:
I got 'em and they are in great shape. Thanks again.

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

I've bought some stuff from a solcalcom on eBay and what I got was exactly what I expected. It looks like this guy might be a mimic, trying to cash in?

No, I would not consider the book you described vf/nm, and the "i undergraded so everyone will be happy" is as misleading as a presidential candidate.

Please let us know if the make it right or not.

The Spider
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by The Spider »

X-O HoboJoe wrote: Here's the auction url: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2277389893

I wonder if Grant Morrison read this too, considering this month's JLA: CLASSIFIED?

I've even got a SUPERMAN VS SHAZAM treasury book from the 70's where the main villain is a White Martian.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:

Sorry Zeph, I'm from the same city as Carlos Hathcock, so being a sniper is a way of life.
Who said anything about sniping...?

<said the sniper par excellence> ;)

No, you outbid me on some choice stuff cause you were willing to pay more than I was. :) The times I miss something cause I was sniped are longggggg snice gone. ;)

There IS one lot that ended in Aug of 2003 that I still kick myself about.

Batman #156-400, with about 15 below that....all about VG/F to NM.

$460 ending bid.

I almost cried when I saw it, cause it was a day past ending before I saw it.

I would have easily paid $1000. Sigh.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

whetteon wrote:
Aug002 is really ZWH! It's so obvious! He already told us he bids with another account to hide his purchases and his alter ego ZWH being so cheap is in direct contrast to AUG002 who buys everything over the $100 line whether he needs the book or not. I'm I the only one to have put two and two together? :!:
Where's the smiley for the buttoned lips....?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

whetteon wrote:
X-O HoboJoe wrote:Won some books from this guy: david_in_astoria . Billed the merchandise as VF/NM when it was barely Fine/Fine+. Contacted him, wouldn't even consider a simple $5.00 refund (as he'd used some mythic grading chart to pretend this subscription creased, dog-eared turd was in decent shape.)

To follow up on fraud warning, I went home for lunch and went through my mail to find that I received my Amazing Spidey #149 from this auction..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

Now the eBayer so.cal.collectibles has a pretty decent feedback profile and I believe I've did dealings with them before that must have turned out fine else I would of remembered but the comic I got today was not vf/nm. First, the description almost implies it should be better then vf/nm but I would grade this issue a vf- tops. It has an 1/8 crease on the top left corner that breaks color, a server fading on the right top cover almost like someone took their thumb and rub vigorously, the spine has multiple creases (between 5-7) that don't break color, the back is dirty (it looks like it needs the wonder bread treatment) and their is a fold on two places on the cover like they pressed the book on a square piece of pipe. Would anyone consider something like that vf/nm? I asked for a refund and we'll see what they say. I'm disappointed in their grading abilities Hopefully this issue will be resolve but I'm now disappointed that I 1) need to find another copy of this issues and 2) missed a chance to buy a nm copy for $30 a few weeks back.
Wanna see another one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2276507379

This guy said 'a few tiny pieces of color touch in the yellow'. The entire cover has yellow, brown, black colorING, not 'touch'. 30-40 CREASES are colored in...professionally...but colored nonetheless.

Guy said "I can find no tears seals"...except the ones on the front and back covers. The ENTIRE SPINE has been completely reconstructed with NEW paper, as well as new pieces added at the top and bottom. The staples are NEW.

Not a BAD book, of course, but EXTENSIVELY restored...and this *SQUEE* says 'oh, just a LITTLE bit of restoration.'

So, I write detailing the flaws above, and the guys says 'I didn't need all that information!' I say 'Um...it's to support my problem.' He says 'send it back.' I say 'are you refunding ALL shipping?' He says 'No.' I say 'sorry, but a buyer should not have to be out of pocket (they're ALREADY out time in REpacking and sending back!) because of SELLER "error" (to be diplomatic' He says 'that's YOUR opinion of the grade, I stand by mine'. I tell him 'it's not the GRADE that's the issue (even though THAT'S wrong, too) it's the EXTENSIVE EXTENSIVE restoration that's taken place that WAS NOT DISCLOSED.

He calls me an idiot and a trouble maker and 'he doesn't care what I do, but this is the last e-mail I'm getting'.

Uh huh.

I wrote back saying 'What happened to 'Friendliest dealer in the South? What happened to customer service? What happened to full disclosure?' etc.

Here's a pic: Image This is NOT the book in question, just a pic to show what it looks like.

Sigh.

When I get home, if I have time, I'll attach a scan of HIS book.

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Ahh yes, good ol' Memory-Vile. Been burned by that creep too.

Maybe there's need for an eBay warning aspect to this site?