New to forum

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Philflound
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
New to forum

Post by Philflound »

Hey all. I'm new to the forum and I guess am coming on with a bang. I've been in the hobby for 20 years and got into the Valiant books with Unity. From there I was hooked and had acquired every book from the company. For greater details about my life, check out my website. I dedicate a decent amount of space about myself and my future wife (2 more days till the wedding) in the Hobbies and Us page.

I owned a store from 1993-1997, and pretty much had been buying Valiants for the store, though the popularity of them wasn't great by the time I closed. I do have copies of some of the last issues, 1 in most cases, and I'm debating on whether or not to get them graded. Back in April, I saw how popular the red Chaos Alpha is, and found the one I had from my store. It looked really nice, saw I sent it to CGC. Since it was autographed, it got a qualified grade of 9.6. It's now up on Ebay, like I put in the other thread under the buy/sell forum, so look there for details.

I've loved Valiant Comics, though pretty much stopped reading comics altogether. I still buy like 25 a month, but don't have the time to get myself organized. I'll be on here often though, now that I've found it.
Talk to you later.

Phil

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

welcome!
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

Glad to have you onboard! :thumb:
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

Another Valiant fan finally crawled out from hiding. Hehe welcome to the boards. Glad to see that there's alot more Valiant fans joining the site. =)

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

Welcome!!! :thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Greg's site is like a lonely beacon in the dark ...

Welcome aboard!

Philflound

Post by Philflound »

Thanks all. Yes, it is fun to be a valiant fan. I met Jim Shooter at one of the Diamond seminars, but he was at Broadway by then. I definitely admire his brains. He comes up with some great characters.

When I first read valiant books, my favorite was Eternal Warrior, then went to Bloodshot, then Ninjak. Shadowman was cool. I found A&A to be the slowest of the titles, and it took me like 3 or 4 times trying to read that first issue that got me to like it. Maybe I wasn't focused enough.

I have to admit though that I stopped reading the books after about the 3rd year because of moving and misplacing. I did not want to read anything out of order.

One thing I've been looking for, and having difficulty locating are the Nintendo books. Until I can get to my collection and sort through (I know I have a few), I'll have to wait to ask anyone for issues.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a the V2 Shadowman Preview edition along with several of the variant #1s of the different titles. I don't even know what value anything is anymore, so I'll get a relative idea from this site.

On a side note, if anyone is interested in trades, I'm not really looking for comics. My big other hobby is vintage video games. So if you have games for Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, Nintendo, Sega Master System, and others, and want to get rid of them for comics, let me know. My video game wantlist is also listed on my website.

Phil

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Cool stuff on your site. I, too, dig the old games. But I'm light years behind you. :wink:

Philflound

Post by Philflound »

I started the video game collection back in 1995. I've amassed so many it isn't even funny. Thing is, back then it was much easier to accumulate because ebay wasn't around and people thought everything was literally junk. There are still bargains to be had, but now it is much harder.

Valiant on the other hand is a bargain. Most people associate the name with quarter comic books, even the more obscure ones. So acquiring some of the harder to find or lower print run books for a deal may be easier.

Phil

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Philflound wrote:So acquiring some of the harder to find or lower print run books for a deal may be easier.

Phil
No doubt! Just don't try that in a city already represented someone on this messageboard! :thumb:

Welcome to the site! :)

Greg