No Awesome or Maximum press here guys ?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question
No Awesome or Maximum press here guys ?

Post by Draco »

Sorry had to do that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know the former Image stuff is under Arcade now and Youngblood got revamped again under Image of all places, so really a lot of the characters are either being published somehow or might be again.

It just makes me laught each time i think of how bad some of that stuff is.

I picked up a gold premium Brigade # 1 just so i can burn it.

Dont worry though, i will offer it for sale first.

:thumb:

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I remember when Brigade and Bloodstrike were my favorite comics :headbang:

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

There was one book that Maximum published that I thought was really good: Warchild. I haven't read it since it first came out back in the mid 90's. But even then I hated everything Rob Liefeld had anything to do with, yet thought Warchild was really good. Rob Liefeld was "co-writer" along with Eric Stephenson. Chap Yaep was the artist.

Image Image Image Image

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Yaep is good stuff. Stephen Platt on Prophet was also nice.

Squirrel
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by Squirrel »

Ryan wrote:I remember when Brigade and Bloodstrike were my favorite comics :headbang:
Are you really one of us or a spy? :poke:

Draco

Post by Draco »

Ryan wrote:Yaep is good stuff. Stephen Platt on Prophet was also nice.
We had this discussion before so i wont tease Ryan anymore. Im sure he was very young when he read that stuff.

Also im sure he now reads comics that have a plot and a point to them :P

I read the Briagade issue before i added it to the BURN pile and it was so appaling. I do have to admit that most of what Marvel were publishing was similar though, but its still no excuse for such awful twaddle.

Along the way, there were the odd books that werent awful stink, but you could probably count them on both hands.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

My buddy and I recently burned two long boxes of complete trash, mostly 90's Image and Marvel, and I have to say it was quite fun :D !

Draco

Post by Draco »

maraxusofkeld wrote:My buddy and I recently burned two long boxes of complete trash, mostly 90's Image and Marvel, and I have to say it was quite fun :D !
Ah dude, you so should have taken some pics or a video for youtube.

:lol: :lol:

I have a major burning plan set for Guy fawkes night in 2009.

I will be announcing it real soon.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Draco wrote:
Ryan wrote:Yaep is good stuff. Stephen Platt on Prophet was also nice.
We had this discussion before so i wont tease Ryan anymore. Im sure he was very young when he read that stuff.

Also im sure he now reads comics that have a plot and a point to them :P

I read the Briagade issue before i added it to the BURN pile and it was so appaling. I do have to admit that most of what Marvel were publishing was similar though, but its still no excuse for such awful twaddle.

Along the way, there were the odd books that werent awful stink, but you could probably count them on both hands.

oh man, I haven't read any of those books since I was a kid, and I really don't want to. But there was that one year when everything Extreme studios did was hot *SQUEE* and I was as caught up as anybody. But yeah without the nostalgia those are probably some of the worst books ever produced :lol:

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

Well as far as Rob Liefeld stuff goes
I always liked Youngblood for what it was a book written for 12 years by a arrested development 12 year old.

Later with Maximum anything by Alan Moore was fantastic
Supreme
Judgement Day,
Even the 3 Youngblood issues that got published that he wrote are great.

Plus they did a comic tie in with one of my favorite movies 6-String Samurai.

But the rest of the line
Be it Bloodstrike, Bloodwulf, Brigade, Blood whatever was kind of weak.

I actually have the issue Mark Millar wrote for Youngblood:Bloodsport and I loved it. So who knows Rob is not hated by me, the new Youngblood by Casey and Donovan is not bad, and I am curious about the Youngblood Maximum edition where Casey was allowed to ditch the Flip Book style and make it one complete arc with a new ending pencilled by Liefeld.

-neil

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

The only one of these books I've ever bought was the first six issues of Asylum by Maximum Press and the ONLY reason I bought it was because the first six issues had a Tales of the Beanworld short story. That is one of my all time favorite indy books. The rest of the stories in Asylum pretty much sucked.

Fanboy375
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Fanboy375 »

only issues i ever bought were the Battlestar Galactica ones

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

ncameron wrote:Well as far as Rob Liefeld stuff goes
I always liked Youngblood for what it was a book written for 12 years by a arrested development 12 year old.

Supreme
Judgement Day,

But the rest of the line

I actually have the issue Mark Millar wrote for Youngblood:Bloodsport and I loved it. So who knows Rob is not hated by me, the new Youngblood by Casey and Donovan is not bad, and I am curious about the Youngblood Maximum edition where Casey was allowed to ditch the Flip Book style and make it one complete arc with a new ending pencilled by Liefeld.

-neil
<Dons body armour and helmet>

I am with Neil - there is some good stuff in there. Judgement Day in some ways has echoes of Watchmen without aping it. No I am not classing it as the same level of quality or execution, far from it, but rather it includes more deconstructionist comic book mythos by Alan Moore and is a good read. The Supreme stuff basically sets the model for All-Star Superman (a book I really like). The new Youngblood book isn't a bad read, and I am intrigued as to what will happen in the very nihilistic Bloodsport. In all there are some good Liefeld related reads out there. I think his strength is in reconceptualising stock or archetypal ideas and concepts, and when handed over to quality collaborators they can work.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

leonmallett wrote:
ncameron wrote:Well as far as Rob Liefeld stuff goes

Supreme
Judgement Day,

But the rest of the line

-neil
<Dons body armour and helmet>

I am with Neil - there is some good stuff in there. Judgement Day in some ways has echoes of Watchmen without aping it. No I am not classing it as the same level of quality or execution, far from it, but rather it includes more deconstructionist comic book mythos by Alan Moore and is a good read. The Supreme stuff basically sets the model for All-Star Superman (a book I really like). The new Youngblood book isn't a bad read, and I am intrigued as to what will happen in the very nihilistic Bloodsport. In all there are some good Liefeld related reads out there. I think his strength is in reconceptualising stock or archetypal ideas and concepts, and when handed over to quality collaborators they can work.
As long as he doesn't have to reconceptualise the feet. He has like the opposite of a foot fetish or something.

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

Chiclo wrote: As long as he doesn't have to reconceptualise the feet. He has like the opposite of a foot fetish or something.
Both statements, are, separate or together, both accurate, and *SQUEE* hilarious. Well played.

Draco

Post by Draco »

leonmallett wrote:

I had heard that Judgement day was good and its on my list just so i can get it out of the way.
I think in general Youngblood were just really poor character rip offs from character rip offs.

Any top class creator can turn pretty much and costumed character into a good read IMO.

I dont think Rob Liefeld ever actually came up with any really good ideas himself apart from starting Image as a company.
His characters were all weak empty copies that just did stuff and said stuff never made sense.
It was like reading about childish playground squabbles that always resulted in fisticuffs.
No background no depth just fighting.

What exactly did he do that was worth anyone continuing to follow how work once they realised he couldnt draw or wirte, cos i missed it.

:|

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

I really liked Alan Moore's Supreme, but my LCS got it so sporadically (or sold out sporadically.... :hm: ....maybe there's another local collector that has the exact issues I need to finish my run!) that I never finished it and finally lost interest.

I need to go check and see what I need to finish the run....

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

MedicAR wrote:I really liked Alan Moore's Supreme, but my LCS got it so sporadically (or sold out sporadically.... :hm: ....maybe there's another local collector that has the exact issues I need to finish my run!) that I never finished it and finally lost interest.

ughh, that's right, Liefeld took Supreme with him, so I do have other books from his company since I have a complete run of the Moore Supreme issues.

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

Brother J wrote:ughh, that's right, Liefeld took Supreme with him, so I do have other books from his company since I have a complete run of the Moore Supreme issues.
Glad I could remind you of the good times! :thumb:

:lol:

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

MedicAR wrote:
Brother J wrote:ughh, that's right, Liefeld took Supreme with him, so I do have other books from his company since I have a complete run of the Moore Supreme issues.

good books, just not thrilled about supporting Liefeld.

...plus some of those variant covers he did for Supreme made me want to gouge my eyes out. :!:

Draco

Post by Draco »

Brother J wrote:
MedicAR wrote:

good books, just not thrilled about supporting Liefeld.

...plus some of those variant covers he did for Supreme made me want to gouge my eyes out. :!:
Dude they make many a man want to gouge eyes out.

:o :o :o

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Draco wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

I had heard that Judgement day was good and its on my list just so i can get it out of the way.
I think in general Youngblood were just really poor character rip offs from character rip offs.

Any top class creator can turn pretty much and costumed character into a good read IMO.

I dont think Rob Liefeld ever actually came up with any really good ideas himself apart from starting Image as a company.
His characters were all weak empty copies that just did stuff and said stuff never made sense.
It was like reading about childish playground squabbles that always resulted in fisticuffs.

What exactly did he do that was worth anyone continuing to follow how work once they realised he couldnt draw or wirte, cos i missed it.

Oh I am not claiming any significant originality, far from it since everything is recognisable and familiar pretty much, but more that in the 'pot luck scattergun' approach he took - when subsequently handed over to others - left concepts that could work well for stories.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Brother J wrote:
MedicAR wrote:I really liked Alan Moore's Supreme, but my LCS got it so sporadically (or sold out sporadically.... :hm: ....maybe there's another local collector that has the exact issues I need to finish my run!) that I never finished it and finally lost interest.

ughh, that's right, Liefeld took Supreme with him, so I do have other books from his company since I have a complete run of the Moore Supreme issues.

I got a few of the Moore Supreme books on the cheap (.25), so I hav enow added them to me "hunt list". I only have like 5 or 6 books, so I have a long way to go.

Draco

Post by Draco »

leonmallett wrote:
Draco wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

Oh I am not claiming any significant originality, far from it since everything is recognisable and familiar pretty much, but more that in the 'pot luck scattergun' approach he took - when subsequently handed over to others - left concepts that could work well for stories.

Sorry dude, just re read my post and it looked like i was having a pop there. :oops:

i think in the right hands there are a few characters that could do well.

Supreme is a hard example to use as it was the main man himself who did it. I daresay if Alan Moore had taken on Troll we would probably be talking about it in the same manner we do supreme ( which is extreme(ly) funny)

Get it :lol: :lol:

Oh dear. Never mind. Ill just stop that right now :)

I have mentioned before about the time me and a friend read the first issue of AM's YBlood and there was more to the first panel than any book created or overseen by RL.

What happened to Millars story ?

Also did anyone check out Sabretooth on the cover to # 2 of the Casey series?

Probably the single most shocking rip of out of all the Liefeld stuff i have ever seen, which is really saying something.

I cant believe that, not only did he get away with it ( to my knowledge), but also i have not heard mention of it at all anywhere.

Check out sabretooth Vs Timber(wolf)(wild)child.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Youngblood-2-B-NE ... dZViewItem

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocket2600
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rocket2600 »

Love or hate Liefeld, he did have very talented people working on some of the Awesome titles.