Jim Shooter's Daring Comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Jim Shooter's Daring Comics

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Any of you ever read this?

http://www.milehighcomics.com/news/m070898.html
July 8, 1998

JIM SHOOTER'S ANOMALIES #1 (TM)

Big news this month! I think I may have convinced my good friend Jim Shooter to give self-publishing a try. Jim has been busy since his investors unexpectedly pulled the plug on Broadway Comics working on book and film projects. At the same time, however, he's continued to keep an eye on his first love, the world of comics. Recently he mentioned to me that he has an idea for a super-hero team book set in the not-so-distant future, based around a group of dynamic teens.

The story, as he described it to me, sounds like a cross between HARBINGER and THE LEGION OF SUPERHEROES, with elements from quite a few other teen books thrown in for fun. His description sounded so cool that I wished out loud that he could get it drawn, and into print. I'd certainly like to read it.

But how to get a new comics title published in the current difficult environment? Investors were certainly out of the question. No outside money is available these days for a comics publishing start-up. Besides, Jim's track record with investors was filled with constant conflict. Who wants to be beholden to yet another group of folks who can pull the plug on you just as you're starting to get ahead?

It was at that point that I asked Jim why he didn't just publish the book himself. Given the current sad state of the comics market the financial rewards would be limited, but wouldn't getting a fun title into print be worth the hassles? We discussed the pros and cons, and I suggested that he produce the comic as a two limited editions. The primary print run would be limited to 5,000 copies of a 32-page comic at $2.95. In addition to the regular edition, there would be 500 copies of a signed and numbered edition at $14.95. Jim ran the numbers, and found that this was just about breakeven. While that certainly isn't very rewarding, I pointed out to him that if the first issue proved popular, that the print run on the second issue could be increased. It would also be conceivable to lower the price, add color, etc. But without ever printing the first issue, nothing would ever happen.

I then offered Jim a deal. I told him I would solicit his new title, appropriately named ANOMALIES #1 through the N.I.C.E. subscription club, and through an Internet mailing. If we received enough response to make it look like a sellout was probable in the general comics marketplace, he'd immediately finish the project. He has already spoken to artist Joe James (DARK DOMINION and KNIGHTS ON BROADWAY), and Joe is ready at any time to roll on converting Jim's story into a complete comic. He's just waiting for the OK from Jim to start.

Now we're at the point where I stick my neck out. I really would like to see this project happen, so I'm going to make a special offer to those of you in N.I.C.E. and on our e-mailing list. Order a copy of the limited edition (only 500 copies, signed and numbered) of ANOMALIES #1 from us for $14.95, and I'll guarantee that we'll send 80% of that amount directly to Jim Shooter at the point that he's ready to go to press. If he decides not to go to press, we'll never deduct the amount from your N.I.C.E. balance, or send you a full refund if you're from our e-mailing list. There's no risk for you in this process, but you could be pre-ordering the scarcest issue from an entirely new comics universe well before any other fans even hear about it. There's even a possibility that we might sell the entire limited edition in advance. In that case your association with Mile High Comics will have earned you an opportunity that other fans just won't get. I hope you join me in helping bring ANOMALIES #1 into print. By the way, if you'd like to get on Jim Shooter's mailing list, you can e-mail him at JCShooter7@aol.com. He's got another project (about an Interplanetary traveling executioner) that would also make a great comic.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/news/m071698.html
July 16, 1998

PRESS RELEASE FROM JIM SHOOTER

Jim Shooter, former Marvel Comics editor in chief, and founder of Valiant/Acclaim, Defiant, and Broadway Comics, has announced the formation of his newest entry into the worldwide comics and entertainment market, DARING COMICS (TM)..

DARING COMICS' first release will be ANOMALIES (TM) #1, the first issue of an ongoing science fiction/super hero series set to launch early next year.

ANOMALIES is set in a not-too-distant future, in which humankind has spread throughout the Solar System, and everyone is genetically engineered to suit his or her environment. The title characters, the Anomalies, are mistakes � engineering disasters, who emerge as potential saviors of their civilization.

"This series brings into play a lot of the things I'm best known for," Shooter said. "Most of the characters are teen-agers or young adults, it's hard-science based super hero adventures, and one more time, it's back to the future for me."

ANOMALIES will be written by Shooter and drawn by the talented Joe James, best known for his work on Shooter's Dark Dominion.

The print run of ANOMALIES #1 will be limited to only 5,500 copies. The standard edition will have a $2.95 cover price, and will be a limited edition of 5,000 copies. The remaining 500 copies will be numbered and enhanced with the signatures of Jim Shooter and Joe James. Copies of the signed and numbered edition will retail for $14.95.

Why such a low print run? "Because DARING COMICS is mine and mine alone," Shooter explained. "My previous ventures were all launched on a much grander scale � with substantial financial backing. But, while more money enabled me to enter the market more aggressively, no matter what my deal with them was, investors always managed to force compromises in the quality of the work, in the integrity of the product and, in many ways, to impose serious constraints. By financing DARING COMICS myself, I may be limited to low print runs at first, but nothing can stop me from making our books truly excellent, and therefore, I believe we'll grow quickly."

DARING COMICS has already completed development on its second title, scheduled for release in early 1999, RATHH OF GOD (TM). RATHH OF GOD, also an ongoing title, set in the same future as ANOMALIES, unfolds the adventures of a professional executioner who lives in a time where life is revered above all and sacred beyond imagining. No one is more despised or more badly needed. "This one, RATHH, is unusual," said Shooter. "People will be pleasantly surprised by its insight and originality, unless they love clichés. RATHH OF GOD is powerful, exciting stuff. It's unique."

DARING COMICS will expand slowly to a full line of eight super hero comic book titles. Each issue of each title will be designed to be read individually, but will be set in the same universe. Strict integrity of the universe and tight continuity between stories, both Shooter trademarks, will be carefully preserved.

"I see the comics world poised for a turnaround, and I want to be part of making that bright future come to pass." Shooter said. "I hope that people who have read and enjoyed my work in the past will join me in this new venture."

Jim Shooter can be reached at JCShooter7@aol.com or at Daring Comics * 244 Madison Ave. * Suite #385 * NY, NY 10016

Advance orders are being taken for ANOMALIES #1 and for ANOMALIES #1 SIGNED & NUMBERED. You may place your order through e-mail at nice@milehighcomics.com.
http://www.collectortimes.com/1998_09/Clubhouse.html
An Interview with Jim Shooter

Jim Shooter has been working in comics for over 32 years. He has been a big name writer for Marvel and DC, a writer/Editor in Chief for Marvel, has attempted to buy Marvel Comics on two occasions, and has started up three comic companies in the past. He has made major changes to the industry, whether it was for better or worse will always be argued among pro's and readers alike. Some people love him, some people hate him. Regardless, the man knows how to make good comics. He's back at it again with his new venture called Daring Comics. Now on with the show.
Coville:

I heard you started writing Legion of Superheroes when you were a teenager. At what age did you start and how long were you on the title?

Shooter:
I was thirteen when I wrote my first Legion story, in 1965. I regularly wrote the Legion and other "Superman Family" titles until 1970.

Coville:
Have you ever re-read those issues you did? If so what do you think of them?

Shooter:
Depending on my mood, I think my old (ancient?) work sucks, or is pretty good for a kid, in the context of the times.

Coville:
Would you hire anyone that age to write one of your titles?

Shooter:
I’d hire a newborn Martian to write for me if its samples were good. It’s all about the work, not who or what you are.

Coville:
About your titles, you have a new company called Daring Comics and eventually 8 ongoing titles coming out. Can you give us a brief description of what the titles are called, what they're about and who is doing them?

Shooter:
The only titles set so far are ANOMALIES and RATHH OF GOD. I’m writing them and the brilliant Joe James is drawing at least one of them.

Coville:
Do you plan on having company wide crossovers in the future?

Shooter:
Company wide crossovers? Maybe. The books will all be set in the same universe.

Coville:
What will be different and interesting about these characters that you won't find in other superhero comics?

Shooter:
They’ll be different and interesting. Seriously, I’ll bring to these series all my best. Is there any comparison between, say, Harbinger when I wrote it and the average super-hero strip? I think I had something going there, but people who like my kind of comics will like these, I think. People who think I’m a jerk won’t. I’ll give it my best, as always.

Coville:
I understand the first issue of Anomalies will have a limited print run of 5,500. Is this do to financial constraints or an attempt to increase the value of the books?

Shooter:
Chuck Rozanski of Mile High Comics suggested this limited print run thing. I don’t know much about small press (though I can run a major blindfolded). I’ve spoken to the only printer I’d ever consider using, Quebecor, and that’s about the limit they’ll do for such a speculative venture, even for me, someone they know well.. Fine. So be it.

Coville:
Why did you decide to self finance Daring Comics?

Shooter:
Again, Chuck talked me into this whole self-publishing thing. Maybe I could raise money for another comics publishing venture, but after the bad experiences I’ve had starting on a grander scale with other peoples’ money, I wasn’t willing to go that route again. At least with self-publishing, I don’t have other peoples’ balance sheets dictating my creative decisions.

Coville:
What format will the Daring Comic books be in? How many story pages? What kind of paper stock? Will there be outside advertising?

Shooter:
Normal format, 32 pages. Advertising? maybe someday.

Coville:
Will there be room for creator-owned work in Daring Comics?

Shooter:
Creator-owned work? I’m the creator, I own it.

Coville:
Given the bleak sales right now, do you think it is wise to start another comic company?

Shooter:
Again, Chuck talked me into this. We both think that somebody has to step up to the plate and do something that gets people excited again. Can I? I don’t know, but I can give it a try.

Coville:
Some comic pro's think companies should stop flooding the market with superheroes and start doing other genres. What is your opinion on superheroes Vs. other genres?

Shooter:
I think good stuff sells. Genre doesn’t matter, for the most part. If we build it, they will come.

Coville:
Have you ever considered writing for another company again? If so, why did you choose not to?

Shooter:
I haven’t had any offers to write for anyone, and the few times I’ve inquired, I’ve been told that I’m such a pariah that it would be impossible to give me work. I recently suggested to Paul Levitz at DC that I could do "Jim Shooter’s last Legion story," a novel length "untold tale" set in the same time as my old Legion stories. He liked the idea, and agreed, but a few days later called me back and reneged. He said that the hatred some people at DC had for me was so great, that to keep peace in his house, he had to back out of the deal.

Coville:
Are you disappointed you never got to buy the publishing section of Marvel Comics?

Shooter:
Of course.

Coville:
If you did get to buy the publishing section of Marvel, what would you have done with it?

Shooter:
I would have made it good again.

Coville:
Out of all the characters you created for Marvel, DC, Valiant, Defiant, and Broadway Comics, which ones do you like the best from each company?

Shooter:
Impossible question.

Coville:
What writers and artists impress you today?

Shooter:
David Lapham impresses me.

Coville:
What comic books are you currently reading?

Shooter:
Stray Bullets.

Coville:
What is it about today's industry that bugs you the most?

Shooter:
Its dying.

Coville:
What do you think is needed to get the comic industry back to it's former glory?

Shooter:
Good creativity.

Coville:
Will fans be able to find you be at San Diego promoting Daring Comics?

Shooter:
No.

Coville:
Anything else you want to say?

Shooter:
Goodnight.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

To my knowledge Daring Comics failed was still born.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Cyberstrike wrote:To my knowledge Daring Comics failed was still born.
Yeah. It did sound more interesting than Icon One, though.

andrew
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by andrew »

Supposedly there is a press pack that was created for the line, although I don't know if this contained artwork.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

andrew wrote:Supposedly there is a press pack that was created for the line, although I don't know if this contained artwork.
That be interesting to see.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Well that makes makes sense considering Shooter didn't create any of the concepts for Icon One but did create the ones for Daring Comics.

Bascially, Rozanski put out some press to see how much interest there was in Shooter doing self published stuff. Then Shooter got the Unity 2000 gig and that put it on the back burner. The gig with Acclaim got...complicated and he got the job at Phobos. Probably a good thing. Shooter would've lost an amazing amount of money trying to self publish in 1999/2000. The audience simply wasn't there at the time to support such a thing.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Todd Luck wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Well that makes makes sense considering Shooter didn't create any of the concepts for Icon One but did create the ones for Daring Comics.

Bascially, Rozanski put out some press to see how much interest there was in Shooter doing self published stuff. Then Shooter got the Unity 2000 gig and that put it on the back burner. The gig with Acclaim got...complicated and he got the job at Phobos. Probably a good thing. Shooter would've lost an amazing amount of money trying to self publish in 1999/2000. The audience simply wasn't there at the time to support such a thing.
Yep, why drain your own bank account to just break even when you can get a paycheck from someone. So have you guys picked up his LOSH yet?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

tarheelmarine wrote:Yep, why drain your own bank account to just break even when you can get a paycheck from someone. So have you guys picked up his LOSH yet?
I ordered it and will be getting it in the mail in about a month.

Was it any good?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:Yep, why drain your own bank account to just break even when you can get a paycheck from someone. So have you guys picked up his LOSH yet?

Was it any good?
As much as I love the works of both Jim Shooter and Jim Starlin there is no way in Hell I'm buying a DC comic even ones that they do, because I hate what the morons running DC have done to the DCU.

I refuse to buy a comic from them.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Cyberstrike wrote:As much as I love the works of both Jim Shooter and Jim Starlin there is no way in Hell I'm buying a DC comic even ones that they do, because I hate what the morons running DC have done to the DCU.

What about what the morons running Marvel have done to that universe? If you ask me, that's the biggest tragedy of the two.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

2008 is the best time for VALIANT to come back.

They're going to offer an alternative to DC's Silver Age nostalgia *SQUEE* and an alternative to Marvel's One More Day/Civil War *SQUEE*.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

ManofTheAtom wrote:

Was it any good?
YES!

Duh.

LOL

:D

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Cyberstrike wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:

Was it any good?
As much as I love the works of both Jim Shooter and Jim Starlin there is no way in Hell I'm buying a DC comic even ones that they do, because I hate what the morons running DC have done to the DCU.

Same here but I make exceptions for Shooter, especially when he gets to actually write something and not flesh out what a bunch of editors hand him.

I think Shooter's pretty safe from editorial interference writing stories a 1000 years removed from the rest of the DCU on a book that doesn't really need to prove anything at the moment. Editorial interferance was my biggest fear since there's such a push to tie everything into whatever there current Crisis is but the first issue was pure Shooter magic, completely independent of all the other stuff going on right now at DC.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

But it still uses Waid's *SQUEE* Legion, doesn't it?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Heath wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:As much as I love the works of both Jim Shooter and Jim Starlin there is no way in Hell I'm buying a DC comic even ones that they do, because I hate what the morons running DC have done to the DCU.

What about what the morons running Marvel have done to that universe? If you ask me, that's the biggest tragedy of the two.
IMHO it's equal to the rape of the DCU.

I stopped buying Marvel after the God-Awful The Other crossover between the Spider-Man titles and The Amazing Spider-Man was the only Marvel title that I was reading and after that I quit.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ManofTheAtom wrote:But it still uses Waid's *SQUEE* Legion, doesn't it?
Yes, it does.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:56:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Heath wrote:

I stopped buying Marvel after the God-Awful The Other crossover between the Spider-Man titles and The Amazing Spider-Man was the only Marvel title that I was reading and after that I quit.
One More Day has made it as The Other never happened. The logic being that by negating that, the marriage, and a ton of other stuff, readers who dropped the title will run back to it.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

ManofTheAtom wrote:But it still uses Waid's *SQUEE* Legion, doesn't it?
Haven't bought any Legion comics since the early 90's so I don't know. I assume so. It's got most of the characters that I could think of, mainly as I remember them with a couple cosmetic changes (Phantom Girl looks asian, etc). Planetary law enforcement on a vast scale. It's good.

tarheelmarine
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Cyberstrike wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:

Was it any good?

That's to bad, I think the DCU is more exciting than it has been in a long time. There are a few things I don't like such as it seems Luthor grew up in Smallville ( I am assuming this was an influence from Smallvile, which I don't watch), and I don't like that Hal has been back, but I like a lot of everything else. So I ignore what I don't like and enjpy the rest.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

tarheelmarine wrote:( I am assuming this was an influence from Smallvile, which I don't watch)
Nope, that was Mark Waid, who wanted to recreate the Silver Age.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:( I am assuming this was an influence from Smallvile, which I don't watch)
Nope, that was Mark Waid, who wanted to recreate the Silver Age.
Which they retconed away after IC with yet another version of Luther being from Smallville in the new continuity. Smallville is a big factor. Unfortunately any live action movie or show that's successful at DC is. And judging from the current comics A LOT of people at DC want to bring back the Silver Age (while incorporating stuff from the movies and shows). If you can follow a character for more than two or three years without getting really confused by retcons, you're not reading a real DC comic. :)

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Heath wrote:

One More Day has made it as The Other never happened. The logic being that by negating that, the marriage, and a ton of other stuff, readers who dropped the title will run back to it.
Yeah that will work. The people who gave up on the Spider-Man titles gave up after that Clone Saga debacle (and nothing and I do mean NOTHING that Marvel does will make me forget that debacle) and no matter what brain dead idiots like Joe Quesada think "wiping out" 20 years of continuity ain't going to bring them back. It's high time that both Marvel and DC face facts that 40-60 years aren't going to buy comics. It's the 12-35 years old that will if the books are marketed towards them.
I orginally stopped reading Spider-Man after the infamous The Final Chapter
because to me resetting everything back to status quo was stupid.
It was JMS that got me interested in the character again. After reading
Rising Stars and Midnight Nation (a series that I love) I figured
I would give Spider-Man an extreme rare second chance to impress me again and in the early part of his run he didn't disappoint. He made care
about the characters again, but towards the end I think it's safe to say he
had overstayed his welcome.

But what really *SQUEE* me off is the fact that guys like Quesada, Waid, Johns, Morrison, and the rest of the 60s fanboys is their "If it's from the 90s and I didn't write or draw it, it must be crap and if it's from the 60s it must great." mentality. They tend to forget is that there were a lot of kids and teens reading comics in 1980s and 1990s. I should know I was was one of them and so were all my friends in Middle and High school.

Personally I liked the fact that Spider-Man was married, now if Marvel wanted to end the marriage then why not have MJ and Peter get a divorce or kill MJ off and take the character in a new and different direction for a new writer. Instead Marvel throws out the good stuff with the bad for a
cheap publicity stunt.

To me the Green Lantern was Kyle Rayner, not John Stewart, Guy
Gardner, Alan Scott, and certainly not Hal Jordan to be honest I have never cared for Hal as a GL period. IMHO he's boring as dirt the only times that I actually gave a damn about him was when he was Phalanx and then as the Spectre. Kyle should still be the Green Lantern not Hal Jordan.
Just as DnA's run on The Legion is my Legion of Super-Heroes not Waid's *SQUEE* poor knock-offs.

I'll be the first to admit that there a lot of bad comics in the 80s and 90s but there were also a lot great stuff. I think it's damn time that someone
at both Marvel and DC admit to that and stop treating everything from the
80s and 90s as the plague.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:02:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Holy *SQUEE*, I've pulled a Phil Seleski and split myself!!

Get out of my head, Cyberstrike!!!!

:P

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ManofTheAtom wrote:Holy *SQUEE*, I've pulled a Phil Seleski and split myself!!

Get out of my head, Cyberstrike!!!!

:P
Who's says that I'm in your head? Maybe you're in mine. :o :hm:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

But seriously, it's because of everything you say that I think that now is a great time for VALIANT to come back.

VEI is going to give 90's readers and 21st Century readers an alternative to the DC and Marvel crap.

At VEI (assuming of course that they keep to the original VALIANT timeline), characters will grow (Aric is close to his 50s according to his myspace entry), change (Pete Stanchek going from a whiny brat in early Harbinger, to becoming a murderer as the Harbinger, to growing into a capable leader looking for redemption in Visitor 13), marry (Archer and Flamingo got married in 2003), and die (Jack Boniface in 1999)