Life Without Solar

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Unknown Spider
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Life Without Solar

Post by The Unknown Spider »

If the new Valiant can't get the rights to Solar Man of the Atom would you guys still want them to continue Phil Seleski as someone else, maybe Destroyer or a completely new and different alter ego?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Life Without Solar

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Unknown Spider wrote:If the new Valiant can't get the rights to Solar Man of the Atom would you guys still want them to continue Phil Seleski as someone else, maybe Destroyer or a completely new and different alter ego?
Solar all the way!! :)

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

<sniff>

A Valiant without Solar is... I don't even want to think about it!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I don't think that any one character is ABSOLUTELY necessary. Would Solar be nice, of course. How can you have Valiant without XO? Easy. Just write great stories, draw art that is realistic and easy to follow, and keep the stories working together, and all will be good.

Now DNV does need most of the characters from before, but not all of them, even Solar.

IMO, the Val. characters were so deep and had so many levels. No Solar, bummer..... no Magnus, bummer...... but ok. There is still enough there: Aric, Gilly, Aram, Pete, Angelo, the Rais, Jack ( :hm: ), Darque, Toyo, Charlene, Faith, .... the list goes on and on.

Now, of course, I want Solar, but with out him, DNV can still shine.

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

Elveen wrote:I don't think that any one character is ABSOLUTELY necessary. Would Solar be nice, of course. How can you have Valiant without XO? Easy. Just write great stories, draw art that is realistic and easy to follow, and keep the stories working together, and all will be good.

Now DNV does need most of the characters from before, but not all of them, even Solar.

IMO, the Val. characters were so deep and had so many levels. No Solar, bummer..... no Magnus, bummer...... but ok. There is still enough there: Aric, Gilly, Aram, Pete, Angelo, the Rais, Jack ( :hm: ), Darque, Toyo, Charlene, Faith, .... the list goes on and on.

agreed, val doesn't need solar. Sting can be the new with great powers comes great responsibility character... well, even moreso anyway. If not, what would be the problem with a new character running around as a god.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Elveen wrote:I don't think that any one character is ABSOLUTELY necessary. Would Solar be nice, of course. How can you have Valiant without XO? Easy. Just write great stories, draw art that is realistic and easy to follow, and keep the stories working together, and all will be good.

It can, but it's going to be tough hill for VEI to climb without Solar or Magnus. Both were linchpins in the Valiant Universe. Turok would be the only GK character that would not be necessary for a successful relaunch, IMO. Although, I would still like to see him be a part of it as well.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Use Erica. Solar: WOTA!

Amazing God-like powers with permanent PMS.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:Use Erica. Solar: WOTA!

Hmm...actually I think you may have something there. If they can't get the rights to Solar or use the Phil Seleski character, using Erica might not be a bad idea (exept for the PMS thing....). They could have two versions, one good and one insane and thirsty for power.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm down with WOTA!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Elveen wrote:I'm down with WOTA!
Does your wife know about this?

X-O HoboJoe
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
5 more . . . :hm:

andrew
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by andrew »

Just have Phil Seleski be himself. That's what makes the book interesting. He doesn't even need to change into the Solar outfit.

The Unknown Spider
Phil Seleski is Not Solar

Post by The Unknown Spider »

Heres the thing though the new Valiant should still have the rights to Phil Seleski. They should still have rights to his entire origin and adventures. If they wanted to, they could theoretically reprint every story panel for panel but they would have to change his name and costume. I guess what I was really asking is, if Valiant can't procure the rights to Solar, would you still want Phil Seleski incorporated into the new Valiant universe under a new persona. Remember if you re-read GK's Dr. Solar and origin. It's different from Phil Seleski's. Phil chose to impersonate a childhood comic. He could have easily become another completly original identity. It would be legal. Look at Marvels Squadron Supreme, it's not a secret that they are DC superhero's reimagined for Marvel's playground. This is the biggest difference between the way Valiant wrote Solar vs Magnus RF and Turok. Those characters were those characters. Solar was a valiant character taking on the likeness and trademark of a GK character.

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

At least there would be penguins.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

As long as they have X-O, Bloodshot and Spider-man, I'm in!

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
X-O HoboJoe wrote:Use Erica. Solar: WOTA!

Hmm...actually I think you may have something there. If they can't get the rights to Solar or use the Phil Seleski character, using Erica might not be a bad idea (exept for the PMS thing....). They could have two versions, one good and one insane and thirsty for power.
You know, since Phil had so many schizo episodes, and split into multiple beings, it stands to reason that Erica could as well. And given her background, it seems even more possible!

You could have a "good Erica" split off from the insane Erica. Because just as there were different personality traits within Phil, there might be something of a "good" Erica personality - although it might not be completely good. :)

I had also suggested the idea of PHil just being Phil, with powers. He could eschew the whole "superhero" thing, seeing how bad it becomes. Sure, he could still have his fun, but the focus wouldn't be his powers, but it would be him (which was sort of the focus originally as well!).

Chris

cobra_commander
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!

Post by cobra_commander »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
:lol:

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

I think Solar and Magnus were much more important back in 1991 when the universe was building around them. Today there are enough characters I wouldn't miss either one.

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

Tim Petty wrote:As long as they have X-O, Bloodshot and Spider-man, I'm in!
:lol:

faith would be happy.

*SQUEE*
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by *SQUEE* »

I for one would miss Magnus. Using Phil or Erica is good enough for me tho.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

i think mags and solar are key to the valiant universe and would be sorely missed :o

Fanboy375

Post by Fanboy375 »

Valiant + Defiant = AWESOME!!!

Lets just merge the two and then I could live without Solar (although it would hurt to lose him).

:thumb:
Jonathan

Damn, Just I just put a gay reference in there again :lol:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Fanboy375 wrote:Valiant + Defiant = AWESOME!!!

Lets just merge the two and then I could live without Solar (although it would hurt to lose him).

:thumb:
Jonathan

Damn, Just I just put a gay reference in there again :lol:
Defiant and Valiant wouldn't work in a combined universe longer than one
issue IMHO.

Defiant + Broadway = would be awesome.

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a schizo Erica splitting off and creating a "good" Erica. Phil could still be around, but he could have retired from the "game" although he could still assist/guide the good Erica.

The good Erica, OTH, would probably feel tremendous guilt over what her counterpart tried to do. In addition to that, she probably would not be viewed favorably by the other Valiant folks. Lastly, when I say "good" I don't mean goody gumdrops - just not insane Erica who wanted to destroy the world.

Chris

Daniel Jackson
Re: Phil Seleski is Not Solar

Post by Daniel Jackson »

The Unknown Spider wrote:Heres the thing though the new Valiant should still have the rights to Phil Seleski. They should still have rights to his entire origin and adventures. If they wanted to, they could theoretically reprint every story panel for panel but they would have to change his name and costume. I guess what I was really asking is, if Valiant can't procure the rights to Solar, would you still want Phil Seleski incorporated into the new Valiant universe under a new persona. Remember if you re-read GK's Dr. Solar and origin. It's different from Phil Seleski's. Phil chose to impersonate a childhood comic. He could have easily become another completly original identity. It would be legal. Look at Marvels Squadron Supreme, it's not a secret that they are DC superhero's reimagined for Marvel's playground. This is the biggest difference between the way Valiant wrote Solar vs Magnus RF and Turok. Those characters were those characters. Solar was a valiant character taking on the likeness and trademark of a GK character.
Greg pointed out something awhile back when we were discussing the use of Phil Seleski. I can't remember verbatim what he said, but it was something along the lines of using a character that has been intertwined with a previous established character may become part of the original copyright holders property in some way. So I suppose it would depend on the language in the original license agreement with Voyager Communications.