To BONE or not to BONE....that is the auction....

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
To BONE or not to BONE....that is the auction....

Post by Escaflown4 »

Anyone wanna speculate how much this auction can shoot for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BONE-COMICS-1-55-CO ... dZViewItem

:o
Last edited by Escaflown4 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:50:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

WTF . . .

That's an insane auction . . .

SnotDrip
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

siren3-4 wrote:WTF . . .

That's an insane auction . . .

:thumb:

5-8K?!

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

I saw that a few days ago. It is nuts. Let alone the Bone first printings, which while easier to get than they were originally, are far from either common or cheap, but this is the first time I've ever seen Thorn: Tales From The Lantern, for sale or even at all . :o No idea what this could hit.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

What the hell possesses someone to put together a collection such as this in the first place?

And then sell it on eBay?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

The reserve is $25,500. The guy's shooting for a dream price, but he's not going to come near that. He also says he'll consider the high bid "if it's near enough" (of course, ignoring that that's against eBay policy.)

It's a double edged sword (there's that phrase again)....on the one hand, he's got a set of books that is unmatched, and unlikely to ever be assembled again...on the other, however, he's singlehandedly flooded the census with all his books, and, where someone might pay a HUGE premium for a book where there's only 1 or 2, they may not be as willing when there are 6 or 8 or 10, especially when the books are known to be concentrated in one set of hands, and it's a known difficult book to get in very high grade.

Case in point, Bone #9 had a single copy (9.4) on the census up until the latest update....now it has 6. Of course, 5 of them are in this one auction, but potential buyers for the book aren't going to want 5 copies, generally.

And, when he DOES sell them individually, the numbers on the census are going to work against him...even though they are almost entirely his numbers.

From my experience, he would have been better off simply getting one "set" graded at a time, to take full advantage of census rarity.

That's not to scoff at this auction....it's tremendously impressive, and the result of a focused dedication over many, many years. And, of course, Thorn is a book you are going to see maybe once every 5-10 years from now on.

I had a discussion about this on another board when another Bone lot, the best lot ever offered until this one, sold two months ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bone-1-To-10-Cartoo ... dZViewItem

A couple of the people debating it just did not understand the unique qualities of this series, stating that there was only one Bone #9 on the census because it wasn't valuable enough to slab, that no one cared about Bone enough to slab them, and one of them said that he could "easily put together 3 sets of CGC'd Bone 1-10 first printings, in as high or higher grade, for less than that auction sold for within 6 months."

I tried...in vain...to explain all the reasons why (which I won't go into here, but I can, if anyone would like) that was just not possible, and the ins and outs of "highest on the census" and "only one on the census", but it fell on deaf ears. I tried to explain that, unlike most Marvel, DC, and especially Image books of 1991-1993, no one is going to be able to produce 10, 20, 30 copies of ANY issue of Bone published by Cartoon books in 9.8, and that 9.4 is going to be "the obtainable high grade" for a typical copy beyond #2, and that 9.0 is going to be "the average" nice copy that someone can get for these books.

Suffice it to say that the census numbers that this fellow got....and I've been corresponding back and forth with him about it....bear up my argument. If this guy, who is clearly the most dedicated Bone collector on the planet, and who clearly understood the grade issues involved with this book, could only get a handful of 9.8s, a nice chunk of 9.6s, and the vast majority 9.0-9.4, then no, no one's going to be able to easily assemble, from raw stock, a high grade set of Bone #1-10 first printings.

I can't wait to see what the final bid is. I'm sorely, sorely tempted....

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: For those that collects Bone....

Post by Lightning Strike »

Escaflown4 wrote:Anyone wanna speculate how much this auction can shoot for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BONE-COMICS-1-55-CO ... dZViewItem

:o
Wow, simply beautiful. I love Bone, and if I was rich, I'd be all over that. My guess? Somewhere in the 5k range.
Last edited by Lightning Strike on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:34:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Tim Petty wrote:What the hell possesses someone to put together a collection such as this in the first place?

Insanity.

Or Asperger's Syndrome, I forget which...
Last edited by ZephyrWasHOT!! on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:09:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Wow. That is an impressive set.

If I was ridiculously ridiculously rich I would buy it.

Alas, however, I am not.

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
Tim Petty wrote:What the hell possesses someone to put together a collection such as this in the first place?

Insanity.

Or Asperger's Syndrome, I forget which...

;)

:lol:

cobra_commander
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!

Post by cobra_commander »

Quick. Somebody give me $26,000 :insane:

cobra_commander

Post by cobra_commander »

So I can buy something else with it :lol:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:The reserve is $25,500. The guy's shooting for a dream price, but he's not going to come near that. He also says he'll consider the high bid "if it's near enough" (of course, ignoring that that's against eBay policy.)

It's a double edged sword (there's that phrase again)....on the one hand, he's got a set of books that is unmatched, and unlikely to ever be assembled again...on the other, however, he's singlehandedly flooded the census with all his books, and, where someone might pay a HUGE premium for a book where there's only 1 or 2, they may not be as willing when there are 6 or 8 or 10, especially when the books are known to be concentrated in one set of hands, and it's a known difficult book to get in very high grade.

Case in point, Bone #9 had a single copy (9.4) on the census up until the latest update....now it has 6. Of course, 5 of them are in this one auction, but potential buyers for the book aren't going to want 5 copies, generally.

And, when he DOES sell them individually, the numbers on the census are going to work against him...even though they are almost entirely his numbers.

From my experience, he would have been better off simply getting one "set" graded at a time, to take full advantage of census rarity.

That's not to scoff at this auction....it's tremendously impressive, and the result of a focused dedication over many, many years. And, of course, Thorn is a book you are going to see maybe once every 5-10 years from now on.

I had a discussion about this on another board when another Bone lot, the best lot ever offered until this one, sold two months ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bone-1-To-10-Cartoo ... dZViewItem

A couple of the people debating it just did not understand the unique qualities of this series, stating that there was only one Bone #9 on the census because it wasn't valuable enough to slab, that no one cared about Bone enough to slab them, and one of them said that he could "easily put together 3 sets of CGC'd Bone 1-10 first printings, in as high or higher grade, for less than that auction sold for within 6 months."

I tried...in vain...to explain all the reasons why (which I won't go into here, but I can, if anyone would like) that was just not possible, and the ins and outs of "highest on the census" and "only one on the census", but it fell on deaf ears. I tried to explain that, unlike most Marvel, DC, and especially Image books of 1991-1993, no one is going to be able to produce 10, 20, 30 copies of ANY issue of Bone published by Cartoon books in 9.8, and that 9.4 is going to be "the obtainable high grade" for a typical copy beyond #2, and that 9.0 is going to be "the average" nice copy that someone can get for these books.

Suffice it to say that the census numbers that this fellow got....and I've been corresponding back and forth with him about it....bear up my argument. If this guy, who is clearly the most dedicated Bone collector on the planet, and who clearly understood the grade issues involved with this book, could only get a handful of 9.8s, a nice chunk of 9.6s, and the vast majority 9.0-9.4, then no, no one's going to be able to easily assemble, from raw stock, a high grade set of Bone #1-10 first printings.

This is a very informative post. Thanks. I learn so much reading things like this. :thumb:

Escaflown4
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

Welcome back ZWH. Yeah the most valuable book in that lot is definitely Thorn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that book was originally only sold at the campus bookstore where Jeff went to school right? It's definitely one book that is almost impossible to find anywhere.

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

i think your right about thorn...both jeff smith and frank cho used their college campus to get their books started.

jeff's was (i think) sold in the bookstore, while cho's "university 2", which is now known as "liberty meadows", was serialized in the school paper.

interesting fact on jeff smith...he's been drawing bone and thorn since he was a child. the story is literally a lifetime's worth of work.
WWSLJD, MF?

andrew
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by andrew »

any ideas on how many copies of thorn there are?

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

. . . is there something dirty about the title of this thread . . .

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
If you were to win this Bone auction . . . I guess you could say that your bone collection is . .

. . . complete :cloud9:

:twisted:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

(pssst....hey Esca....can ya please fix the title of this thread....? It's putting my OCD into a tailspin...either that, or title it "fo dems wats collects Bone"...that would work, too. ;))

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

siren3-4 wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
If you were to win this Bone auction . . . I guess you could say that your bone collection is . .

. . . complete :cloud9:
My bone collection will be complete only when I run out of ground space.....

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

yuh dun be complainsin now, does yuh, boy?

Tim

Post by Tim »

I got a bone you can collect....

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Tim Petty wrote:I got a bone you can collect....
I keep my bones in jars on a shelf....wanna add yours? Keep in mind, my collection would be permanent.....

Tim

Post by Tim »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote: I keep my bones in jars on a shelf....wanna add yours? Keep in mind, my collection would be permanent.....

Nah, the shipping charges would be astronomical.

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

Tim Petty wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote: I keep my bones in jars on a shelf....wanna add yours? Keep in mind, my collection would be permanent.....

Nah, the shipping charges would be astronomical.
hey wait a minute . . . are you guys talking about penis . . .