What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Chiclo »

Shadowman99 wrote:I've just looked up 'Ghost Rider' online and it looks like there's a series called 'Cosmic Ghost Rider' out at the moment. I think I'll trade-wait that one, if I give it a look at all; seems as though it might just be a bit too bizarre for my tastes to be honest. And when did the Punisher become the Ghost Rider?! :o
That is a spin-off of a Thanos story set in the future.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Chiclo wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:I've just looked up 'Ghost Rider' online and it looks like there's a series called 'Cosmic Ghost Rider' out at the moment. I think I'll trade-wait that one, if I give it a look at all; seems as though it might just be a bit too bizarre for my tastes to be honest. And when did the Punisher become the Ghost Rider?! :o
That is a spin-off of a Thanos story set in the future.
Cheers, I know nothing about this. Still, Punisher seems an odd choice of Ghost Rider to me. Does it make reasonable sense within the context of the comic?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Current Non-Valiant comics series I’m reading;

IDW;
Transformers: Unicron

Image;
Black Magick
Cyber Force
East Of West
Injection
Lazarus
Mage
The Magic Order
Oblivion Song
Stellar
Walking Dead

Marvel;
Amazing Spiderman
Fantastic Four
Immortal Hulk
New Mutants: Dead Souls

Titan Comics;
Robotech
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Not much since the end of bloodshot. Just xo hw2 and the walking dead
I Miss the good old days.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Death or Glory from Rick Remender has been really good so far.

The Edge of Spider-Geddon 1 - First time I've ever seen this Spider-Punk character, but I liked the variant cover enough to buy it. It was a pretty good read and a good introduction into the Spider-Verse, I guess.

Multiple Man - I still need to read the 3rd issue, but I really like this character for some reason (and I'm not really a mutant fan). The story reminds me of the Madrox mini series and the ensuing X-Factor by Peter David back in the 2000s I think. I wish it was ongoing.
ASM Crossover Home

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

For some reason my biological need to read GOLD KEY Doctor Solar has cropped up again. I start today.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Just finished Kill or Be Killed. I really enjoyed it.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I am finally reading "Chew." Despite all the recommendations for it, I stayed away because the art just turned me off. I decided to give it a try and the art is perfect for this series. I am enjoying the hell out of this book and I look forward to every new panel to see what funny stuff is written on the walls. :lol: :thumb: :clap:

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

mkb28 wrote:I am finally reading "Chew." Despite all the recommendations for it, I stayed away because the art just turned me off. I decided to give it a try and the art is perfect for this series. I am enjoying the hell out of this book and I look forward to every new panel to see what funny stuff is written on the walls. :lol: :thumb: :clap:
Rob Guillory is awesome. His new book Farmhand is good.
ASM Crossover Home

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

mkb28 wrote:I am finally reading "Chew." Despite all the recommendations for it, I stayed away because the art just turned me off. I decided to give it a try and the art is perfect for this series. I am enjoying the hell out of this book and I look forward to every new panel to see what funny stuff is written on the walls. :lol: :thumb: :clap:
got into Chew a couple of years ago...was hesitant for the same reasons...and had the same reaction!

good stuff... :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

myron wrote:
got into Chew a couple of years ago...was hesitant for the same reasons...and had the same reaction!

good stuff... :thumb:
I've not read Chew at length, but when I have skimmed it in comic shops I thought the contrasting art style was pretty cool. I've got a lot of stuff I want to (buy, then) read first but I'll perhaps give it a go sometime in the future too :)

On another note, I've very recently become fascinated with the work of a Japanese chap called Junji Ito and have three books containing collected short stories on their way through the postal system to me now, which I can't wait to read. If any of you are even remotely interested in horror comics, I highly recommend you give this video (which is about his work in general) a watch to see if it piques your interest too. If his work is anywhere near as exciting and interesting as I'm anticipating it's going to be, I'll be ordering copies of his longer stories soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIIA6QDgl2M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Zhuge1 wrote: And today, I read the second volume of Bendis' 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy series (Angela) which collects issues 4-10. I thought the first volume was, honestly, pretty crappy -- a bland story with bland art. This second volume was a little better in that the stories were a bit more interesting, but they were very disjointed. I'm assuming there were some crossovers that were not included in this collection (and that weren't summarized well in the book). I'm not at all a fan of the art (it's a platoon of people for this collection, so quite inconsistent).
Finally finished the third volume (Guardians Disassembled) of this last night. I still find the series bland with poor artwork. That said... there's only two more trades in the series, which I have, so I'll finish it (hopefully soon).

Also started Saga volume 4 which I'm now halfway through.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Zhuge1 wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote: And today, I read the second volume of Bendis' 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy series (Angela) which collects issues 4-10. I thought the first volume was, honestly, pretty crappy -- a bland story with bland art. This second volume was a little better in that the stories were a bit more interesting, but they were very disjointed. I'm assuming there were some crossovers that were not included in this collection (and that weren't summarized well in the book). I'm not at all a fan of the art (it's a platoon of people for this collection, so quite inconsistent).
Finally finished the third volume (Guardians Disassembled) of this last night. I still find the series bland with poor artwork. That said... there's only two more trades in the series, which I have, so I'll finish it (hopefully soon).

I picked up a few digital trade collections of some modern Guardians series a while ago during a massive Comixology sale, but still haven’t gotten around to reading them... I’m not sure which ones off the top of my head, but I hope it wasn’t these ones you’ve mentioned! :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

grendeljd wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:

I picked up a few digital trade collections of some modern Guardians series a while ago during a massive Comixology sale, but still haven’t gotten around to reading them... I’m not sure which ones off the top of my head, but I hope it wasn’t these ones you’ve mentioned! :lol:
There have been two recent series (both written by Brian Michael Bendis). The one I'm reading ran from 2013-2015. I think it's technically Volume 3 and ran for 27 issues (5 collected trades).

Then Volume 4 ran from 2015-17 and is 19 issues (4 trades) and begins with Star-Lord becoming the new emperor of Spartax and Thing joining the team. The run also happens during the Civil War II storyline. I'll probably read those trades next just to continue getting through it, although I honestly don't know why :?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Zhuge1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:

There have been two recent series (both written by Brian Michael Bendis). The one I'm reading ran from 2013-2015. I think it's technically Volume 3 and ran for 27 issues (5 collected trades).

Then Volume 4 ran from 2015-17 and is 19 issues (4 trades) and begins with Star-Lord becoming the new emperor of Spartax and Thing joining the team. The run also happens during the Civil War II storyline. I'll probably read those trades next just to continue getting through it, although I honestly don't know why :?
If you're anything like me, it's because you hate leaving a story unfinished :thumb:

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Got home from work to discover that my Junji Ito books arrived today, can't wait to get into them! I'm off to make a cup of tea to settle down with, and them I'll be reading clean through 'til bedtime! :D

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

I read Grant Morrison's Batman Omnibus Volume 1 and really enjoyed it.

This sent me down a path of ready a little more Batman and little more Morrison, so I'm alternating between Batman No Man's Land saga and Seven Soldiers omnibus.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

First read of The Boys.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

possumgrease wrote:I read Grant Morrison's Batman Omnibus Volume 1 and really enjoyed it.

This sent me down a path of ready a little more Batman and little more Morrison, so I'm alternating between Batman No Man's Land saga and Seven Soldiers omnibus.
No Man's Land is IMHO, the greatest Big Crossover/Event ever around Gotham (Morrison's run is not an event per se, imo). There's some stuff in NML that is just... let's leave it at "I would love to hear what you think of the Joker when you finish it". :wink:
Oh, I don't know if you have read these stories but the Contagion/Legacy and the Cataclysm/Aftershock crossovers really paved the way for NML. In recent printings the latter have been published in the "Road to No Man's Land" vols 1 & 2 TPBs (also including material collected for the first time). Legacy is freaking amazing, even if Bane of the Demon is one of the most boring Batman stories ever published. :D

And how much damn fun. fun, fun!!!! is Morrison's run? Lotsa, I also says. :thumb: B&R vol. 01 in particular is one of those comics I wished would never end. Brilliant superhero stuff.
Also, the epilogue chapters for "Batman R.I.P." done by Neil Gaiman ("Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader are absolutely fantastic. Damn hard to not let a manly Bat-Tear roll when reading this. 8-)
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

So far I’ve read Cataclysm and both Road to Mans Land volumes. I like the story a lot, but having suspend my disbelief that Flash, Superman, etc. aren’t providing more help.

I absolutely loved Morrison omnibus and can’t wait for the next volume.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Zhuge1 wrote:
Finished the fourth and fifth volumes of Saga. I absolutely love this series.

Sadly, next up is more Guardians of the Galaxy :)

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Been following Venom. It's been good.

He can fly now.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Read a couple of my new Junji Ito books now. Have to say, they're not the terrifying horror-fests that I thought they were going to be, but the author really does a great job of building moments of heavy suspense and dread, and always follows them up with a shocking climax following a page turn, great stuff :)

I'd say the stories are definitely all within the Strange category; I honestly don't know how he dreams some of that stuff up, but the plots of his short stories are always imaginative which makes for some great reading. Billed as a horror writer I was hoping the stories would be a little scarier, but regardless of this I'll definitely be delving into a lot more of his work :thumb:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Zhuge1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:

I checked... I have these trades to read. Ruh-roh...

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

grendeljd wrote:
I checked... I have these trades to read. Ruh-roh...
If you get around to reading them, please post to this thread with your thoughts. I'd be interested on another take to see what others thought.

I just finished volume 4 (Original Sin) and honestly thought it was the best of the bunch, but there seems to have been a crossover (or event) that occurred between volume 3 and volume 4 that wasn't detailed in the collection so there was a lack of cohesiveness with the previous 3 volumes.